Sticker Price rant.

sisco1986

CAGiversary!
I like having my game collection in mint condition, I'm anal when it comes to my games. I like them to be in order and to have the box art covers. So it gets under my skin when GameStop puts the price tag stickers right on the box. Taking off the little sticker is a pain in the ass since the residue sticks to the plastic casing, the back of the sticker sticks to the box; so you have to sit there and scratch at it until its gone, then you're still have with the damn residue 'sticky' crap on the box, which makes the game cases stick together. Anyone know the best way to take them off? It's not a big deal but it's just something that yanks my chain.

ive mentioned this before...but its impossible to try and read every post ever....

go to kmart...walmart...target....rite aid...eckerd....etc....and ask for this thing called Goof Off or Goop Off or Goo Gone...etc...their are a lot of different name brands....

it comes in a small yellow tin...

i had the same problem that you and everyone else has had with these damn stickers...'til i found this...

you just pour a drop of this stuff on the sticker, or residue, sticky stuff, etc....

let it sit for one minute...

then grab a napkin or cloth or something...and it rubs right off....

im very anal about my games too...trust me...i even went so far as to buy a lot of empty ps2 game cases from ebay for cases that weren't in excellent condition...and all of my games and dvds are in alphabetical order on shelves in my room...so i know what its like....

but this stuff works...great...it costs like 3 bucks...thats it...and the same can has lasted me forever

Rubbing alchohol works well, too. Just don't use it on any absorbent suface you don't want to remove (i.e., game boy advance boxes).

Cool, no one has posted my idea.

Take a hair dryer and heat the sticker up. This melts that glue so all of it sticks to the sticky side of the sticker. If there is residue on the case, use the peeled off stick to remove the reamining glue.

Actually.. I'll relate a not so entertaining story.

Anyway, I was at EB looking a round at their stock. I noticed a Culdcept on the shelf for 19.99. It had the usual stickers:

"DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD TRADE IN GAMES? YOU CAN. DO IT TO GET MONEY OFF THIS PURCHASE AND LINE OUR POCKETS!"
"PREOWNED TITLE
"EBGAMES : PRICE HERE"
"ARTIFICIAL EB BARCODE"

But anyway. I walk up to the fellah and ask him if he has any of these brand new, since their used prices commonly reflect their new prices. He instantly responds that they don't - but they do have several used copies. He relates to me then that all of these are actually brand new games - but formerly display copies from other stores, sent to them due to poor sales (that's the part which doesn't make sense, there's no way this store sells jack, why send them here?).

He asked me if I had any problem with buying used games - I retort with the truth. I don't, not really. As long as the disc is in good condition. I then relate to him that the only real problem I have is the 500 stickers EB tries to put on them. He chuckles and says "yeah" as if he's not paying attention to me.

A second or two later, he pulls out the disc and says "yeah - see?". Sure enough, the game was brand new. In fact, I later smelled the manual/CD/Case and indeed it was brand new. Lovely.

But anyway, he rings it up and it's actually cheaper than listed by 2 dollars. Fantastic, I don't have to break a 50. I hand him the money, he hands me my change. He grabs Culdcept and is in the middle of saying something as he starts to reach for the "IF YOU BREAK THIS SEAL YOU CAN'T BRING IT BACK SRY"

I break off his talk in the middle with a stern "No." - he freezes. He looks up at me quizzically and a couple silent seconds pass. He starts to say "but..." and begins to peel the sticker off the roll. I repeat my stance: "No" once again.

Ever persistant, the employee pulls off the sticker from the roll and says "But I gotta.." and once again, I give him the "No." Same flat tone - same stern voice, staring him straight in the eyes. I just informed him that I absolutely detest their stickers - is he mental?

His coworker takes notice of the situation while he's talking to an out of uniform co-worker and mutters to him to simply shrinkwrap it. Ironically, when he set down the receipt to shrinkwrap it he kept the receipt on accident so that I couldn't return it anyway. I noticed this but didn't bother to mention it, because I thought it was hilarious that they made such a big deal about it and then neglected to give me the receipt.

Er.. yeah.

I told the EB guy not to put the stickers on. I told him that he could just write "no returns" on the receipt. He was cool with it.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom']I never have any success with alchohol.[/quote]

I know there is a joke there somewhere, but if I ever found it I'd probably make someone angry.

Those little stickers are nothing compared to the stickers placed on the back of blockbusters games, the stckers are about 3 inches long and 1 and a half inches high, When I buy a game i usually just ask an employee if they can get me an extra case from the back

No need to go out and buy anything.

Use a little WD-40!

I've even took those Circuit City Security Price Tags off, which employees say 'cannot be taken off without leaving a mark.'

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Cool, no one has posted my idea.

Take a hair dryer and heat the sticker up. This melts that glue so all of it sticks to the sticky side of the sticker. If there is residue on the case, use the peeled off stick to remove the reamining glue.[/quote]

The problem that arises with this method is that sometimes the plastic warps a little. If you don't mind wrinkly plastic then I supoose you are ok.

bread's done
Back