Stone Temple Pilots (2010) [and Pearl Jam 2010 Tour]

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Anyone hear this yet? It is WAY better than I thought it was going to be after a 9 year hiatus. Some really great tunes on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only heard Between the Lines cause the local rock (lol) station down here plays it all the time. It's enjoyable and I like it. I will take a listen to the rest of the album on youtube or something.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I will buy it. I'm seeing them this Sunday with Alice In Chains at a local radio station's festival and I'm really excited.

[quote name='tcrash247']I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I will buy it. I'm seeing them this Sunday with Alice In Chains at a local radio station's festival and I'm really excited.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god! I hate you so much right now.... That's my youth God dammit!

I just saw Pearl Jam, not two weeks ago, in Columbus and they rocked the shit. It wasn't 1993's Ten/VS show but it was still really good. Their new Backspacer stuff is fast, fun, tight, and catchy as hell. As always though, they stick to their classics as the meat of the show.

I'd seriously shoot somebody for the chance to see Alice. :cry:

They've never come your way? This is the 3rd time I'll be seeing Alice since they've gotten back together. I'll tell you, they put on one hell of a show. Last time I saw them it was in a small venue last year when they did a small warmup tour and EVERYONE was singing along to every song, it was amazing.

[quote name='tcrash247']They've never come your way? This is the 3rd time I'll be seeing Alice since they've gotten back together. I'll tell you, they put on one hell of a show. Last time I saw them it was in a small venue last year when they did a small warmup tour and EVERYONE was singing along to every song, it was amazing.[/QUOTE]

They've come to the Cincy area many times, I just always seem to barely miss them. Grrr... I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous. I did see STP last year though. They were really good, but the acoustics in the building they played sucked.

I've not heard the new stuff, but ESPN has been playing the shit out of their old stuff all of a sudden. It's like the production team just now heard of them or something.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']I just saw Pearl Jam, not two weeks ago, in Columbus and they rocked the shit. It wasn't 1993's Ten/VS show but it was still really good. Their new Backspacer stuff is fast, fun, tight, and catchy as hell. As always though, they stick to their classics as the meat of the show.[/QUOTE]

I am going to see Pearl Jam TONIGHT at the Garden. I cannot wait. I've seen them 20+ times and every time is awesome. The setlists from this tour have been sick. I'm hoping to get a ton of rarities and I will pass out if they play Of The Girl (one of my favorites that I haven't seen them play live in 10(!) years that they started playing again on this tour). I will be getting into the city by 4:30 and drunk by 4:35. Woo hoo!!!

[quote name='javeryh']I am going to see Pearl Jam TONIGHT at the Garden. I cannot wait. I've seen them 20+ times and every time is awesome. The setlists from this tour have been sick. I'm hoping to get a ton of rarities and I will pass out if they play Of The Girl (one of my favorites that I haven't seen them play live in 10(!) years that they started playing again on this tour). I will be getting into the city by 4:30 and drunk by 4:35. Woo hoo!!![/QUOTE]

Oh, you're a punk, sir. A punk. God, I remember seeing them back in the early 90's, when I was 11. Those were some crazy times... I remember some dude with a pony-tail and a "Life's a Beach" ballcap passed me a fat joint, not knowing what it was I took several riffs. Ever since that moment, Pearl Jam has been my favorite band.

They've actually played Of The Girl live?? Like at a big venue??

They played Of The Girl a bunch of times on the 2000 Binaural tour but rarely since. They have a comprehensive database of all of their shows and the songs played at http://pearljam.com/tour. All sorts of interesting facts - they've played "Even Flow" 662 times live but "Of The Girl" only 39 times. Last night's setlist was 33(!) songs!

[quote name='javeryh']They played Of The Girl a bunch of times on the 2000 Binaural tour but rarely since. They have a comprehensive database of all of their shows and the songs played at http://pearljam.com/tour. All sorts of interesting facts - they've played "Even Flow" 662 times live but "Of The Girl" only 39 times. Last night's setlist was 33(!) songs![/QUOTE]

No show will ever beat when I saw them play at the Spectrum in Philly on October 31st, 2009. They played for like 3 1/2 hours and it was full of rarities and some covers, including Bugs and Whip It dressed as Devo. The only song I've never seen them play that I'd kill to hear is Deep.

[quote name='tcrash247']No show will ever beat when I saw them play at the Spectrum in Philly on October 31st, 2009. They played for like 3 1/2 hours and it was full of rarities and some covers, including Bugs and Whip It dressed as Devo. The only song I've never seen them play that I'd kill to hear is Deep.[/QUOTE]

I don't know man - that was a great show but probably ranks 4th on my list of best Pearl Jam shows behind -

Philly: October 3, 2005
NYC: September 11, 1998
Randall's Island: September 28, 1996

The show last night was great - not as good as the ones mentioned though. We did get a super slow acoustic version of Lukin along with some unusual rarities. 34 songs total. Crazy. Here's the list:

103921494.jpg

Nice audibles on Rats for Out Of My Mind and Kick Out The Jams for RITFW. Also, the poster from the show last night had a Donkey Kong theme so I had to get one:

-85621504466469000.jpg

Awesome.

Sounds like an awesome show!

I didn't get a chance to see them this tour since they only hit the North East and I moved from DC to Atlanta for work last summer. :(

Hoping they'll hit a few places in the south in August or the Fall after they get back from Europe, but not holding my breath.

On topic, I'll definitely pick up the STP album next week.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sounds like an awesome show!

I didn't get a chance to see them this tour since they only hit the North East and I moved from DC to Atlanta for work last summer. :(

Hoping they'll hit a few places in the south in August or the Fall after they get back from Europe, but not holding my breath.

On topic, I'll definitely pick up the STP album next week.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it was great. My seats were weird though I was in the 3rd row dead center but BEHIND the stage. Even though they weren't facing us it was the first time I could really see exactly what was going on. Here are some pics from my seats:

We were really close.

This is why I'm going to apply to law schools in my 30s. I want to roll like javeryh. I'm so jealous. 3rd row in MSG to watch Pearl Jam AND a Donkey Kong themed poster? That's awesome. I just hope I don't spend my days at work at law firms checking my boxers for sharts. Yeah, that's right. I remember that thread. ;)

Last time I saw Pearl Jam was when I braved the mud-encrusted sweaty crowds in Lollapalooza in Chicago a few years ago. Vedder was drinking a bottle of wine on stage during the encore, Lance Armstrong and Dennis Rodman came on stage near the end, and Vedder rode on Rodman's shoulders. Hopefully, I'm remembering that part right about Vedder on Rodman's shoulders. I hope it wasn't the other way around, because that would've broken Vedder's back.

Saw STP with Alice In Chains last night. Awesome show, both had great sets. AiC didn't get a full set even though it was a co-headlining show which kind of disappointed me because I do like them better and they've recently been playing Got Me Wrong. I would kill to hear that live, ugh.

STP's set was great but they played a slow section in the middle that nearly killed me. Big Empty, Sour Girl and Creep back-to-back-to-back = the best sleep aid ever. I would have rather them intersperse them in the set or just cut them out all together. The new songs were kinda whatever live. Maybe I'll like them better with a few more listens of the album. I was psyched when they busted into Lounge Fly and Jerry Cantrell played Sex Type Thing with them which was awesome.

STP was always my favorite band, looking forward to the album...

and dude, you saw Hunger Strike live... the setlist was amazing just based on that.

[quote name='javeryh']Anyone hear this yet? It is WAY better than I thought it was going to be after a 9 year hiatus. Some really great tunes on there.[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised I hadn't seen this thread earlier. My initial impression when I first heard it last week (the 18th) was that it was very "Beatles-esque" and definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. I listened to it a again all the way through and I really did enjoy it, even if a few of the songs sounded the same.

If I remember correctly, "Hickory Dichotomy" and "Fast as I Can" were my favorites.

I really wanted to check out STP at the DC 101 Chili Cook off this past weekend but had to rearrange my visit to the in-laws. Good line up too. STP, Alice in Chains and Cage the Elephant were the 3 main bands. I miss being in that area for the amount of events that go there and now I'm in BFE and we are lucky to get a 3rd rate Circus to take the kids to.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I really wanted to check out STP at the DC 101 Chili Cook off this past weekend but had to rearrange my visit to the in-laws. Good line up too. STP, Alice in Chains and Cage the Elephant were the 3 main bands. I miss being in that area for the amount of events that go there and now I'm in BFE and we are lucky to get a 3rd rate Circus to take the kids to.[/QUOTE]

I can feel you there. Suffered the first 23 years of my life in WV. Then 7 years in DC and moved to Atlanta last summer.

NOTHING could get me to move back there or any other rural hellhole again! :D

I got the Deluxe edition today from Amazon. After listening to the whole album, all I can say is that STP is definitely back. There isn't a single song on the album I dislike. My favorites so far are Hickory Dichotomy, Cinnamon, and Hazy Daze.

I am absolutely jealous that you guys got to go to their show.

And I want that Donkey Kong poster.

*scurries off to get the STP album*

[quote name='mbstuff']This is why I'm going to apply to law schools in my 30s. I want to roll like javeryh. I'm so jealous. 3rd row in MSG to watch Pearl Jam AND a Donkey Kong themed poster? That's awesome. I just hope I don't spend my days at work at law firms checking my boxers for sharts. Yeah, that's right. I remember that thread. ;)

Last time I saw Pearl Jam was when I braved the mud-encrusted sweaty crowds in Lollapalooza in Chicago a few years ago. Vedder was drinking a bottle of wine on stage during the encore, Lance Armstrong and Dennis Rodman came on stage near the end, and Vedder rode on Rodman's shoulders. Hopefully, I'm remembering that part right about Vedder on Rodman's shoulders. I hope it wasn't the other way around, because that would've broken Vedder's back.[/QUOTE]

That Chicago show sounds awesome. I've only ever seen them on the east coast (NYC mainly but I've also seen them in NJ, Philly and Boston multiple times). I was thinking about a vacation to Europe and trying to catch them in London but I pussied out.

[quote name='Chase']I am absolutely jealous that you guys got to go to their show.

And I want that Donkey Kong poster.[/QUOTE]

The poster is super sweet. I love that the P1 score is 521 and the high score is 2010 and the Bonus says "Band of Horses" - really cool. They release a limited run (a few thousand) of posters at every show and each design is unique. I'm trying to collect all of the posters for the shows I've been to so I can frame them with my tickets and hang them in my game room. They are expensive though.

Picked up the Deluxe Edition of the STP album today. Wasn't easy to find, was sold out at Best Buy and I got the last one at target. Plenty of the regular version at BB, only 2 of them at Target.

Will post some thoughts in a day or so when I have time to give it a few listens.

[quote name='tcrash247']Yeah, when I saw them on Oct. 31st in Philly last year my cousin bought this poster: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Phila...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc88b33f I didn't buy one because I think it looked kinda stupid, but I did buy a Phillies inspired Pearl Jam t-shirt. I really like how they make shirts modeled after sports team's logos.[/QUOTE]

Some of them aren't so great but they actually clean up nice when you frame them. I think a poster is a great souvenir for a show. In 2006 I bought 5 posters for $100 at the Meadowlands show and sold 4 of them on eBay for over $100 each. I think you are supposed to limit one per customer but the girl clearly had no idea what was going on. In hindsight I should have bought as many as she would sell me.

Nah, it's good you only took five. Hoarding isn't cool as you're just depriving fellow PJ fans of a chance to buy a poster at regular price.

Just my take, and I've never bought or wanted a poster or any overpriced memorabilia from concerts I've been too.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nah, it's good you only took five. Hoarding isn't cool as you're just depriving fellow PJ fans of a chance to buy a poster at regular price.

Just my take, and I've never bought or wanted a poster or any overpriced memorabilia from concerts I've been too.[/QUOTE]

I agree in theory but I'm willing to bet there are 5 times as many people buying them to sell than buying them to keep. Might as well get a piece of the action when I can. It all comes around anyway - I paid $100 for the Donkey Kong one and similar amounts on others. I'm probably down lifetime in the poster buying department...

Fair enough. I just fucking hate hoarders so I could never do it myself.

I think they'd be better off just selling them through the Ten Club website and only to people who got tickets through them to that show to cut down on the hoarders.

That or just make a lot more posters so they're not a rare collector item.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Fair enough. I just fucking hate hoarders so I could never do it myself.

I think they'd be better off just selling them through the Ten Club website and only to people who got tickets through them to that show to cut down on the hoarders.

That or just make a lot more posters so they're not a rare collector item.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. They should just print up more than 2 or 3 thousand of them and there wouldn't be a problem. They do sell them through the 10C website but it seems like the east coast shows are the ones that get bought the quickest. Philly 2009 is still available though right now. I don't care about rarity or value - I just want the souvenir.

I've given the new STP album a couple listens while doing some work (so background listening mostly).

Initial impression is that it's quite good. Not Core, Purple, No. 4 good IMO, but very good. One thing it seems to be lacking is a kick ass heavy song or two--something like Meat Plow or Down etc.

Dare if you Dare is probably the song that's grabbed me the most so far.

I never really cared for STP until I saw them live a few years back...man do they put on a great show!!!

Need to check out the new album, I hardly listen to the radio anymore so I don't even think I've heard the single yet.

I'd heard that STP was making a comeback a while ago, but I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread. They were my favorite band in the 90's, but after their split, the formation of uhhhh that band that was 3 parts GNR and 1 part STP(I think)I couldn't stomach most of the old STP stuff anymore.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Weiland relapse into being a druggie and the breakup of STP(again) that'll come with his repeated shenanigans.:roll:

I listen to all of my music on the radio anymore. I couldn't even tell you the last time I bought a CD.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I listen to all of my music on the radio anymore. I couldn't even tell you the last time I bought a CD.[/QUOTE]

I feel sorry for you. Radio is the worst medium by far, I rarely ever listen. If you like a band or song, why wouldn't you put forth the effort of finding more of their stuff or at least the rest of the album that has the radio song? The radio usually picks one of the worst songs on the entire album anyway, in my opinion. It's always poppy and fun, that's not personally what I am looking for.

[quote name='tcrash247']I feel sorry for you. Radio is the worst medium by far, I rarely ever listen. If you like a band or song, why wouldn't you put forth the effort of finding more of their stuff or at least the rest of the album that has the radio song? The radio usually picks one of the worst songs on the entire album anyway, in my opinion. It's always poppy and fun, that's not personally what I am looking for.[/QUOTE]
Because I don't wanna pay for my music anymore since the bulk of the rest of songs that don't get airtime usually turn out to be crap? Because I only listen to music when I'm in the car or rarely when I'm in the shower?

But it's mostly that I don't wanna pay for what may be a totally shitty album besides the 1-2 tracks that get overplayed on the radio.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But it's mostly that I don't wanna pay for what may be a totally shitty album besides the 1-2 tracks that get overplayed on the radio.[/QUOTE]

Just DL it like most everyone else on the planet.

[quote name='javeryh']Just DL it like most everyone else on the planet.[/QUOTE]
Nah. After the abomination that was No. 4 with it's mostly forgettable tracks, they're not worth even free.

Saw AiC and STP at DC101 chili cookoff. Aside from STP coming out late and Weiland seeming not quite right in the head, great show. Saw Pearl Jam recently too, and I can't wait to go again. Didn't get to hear Once, Daughter, or State ofLove and Trust though, which are the ones I wanted most. They did play a lot off of Yeild though, which was awesome. I am also unbelievably jealous of anyone that saw Hunger Strike live.

[quote name='I_Am_ProZac']I am also unbelievably jealous of anyone that saw Hunger Strike live.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it live a couple of times, actually. :cool:

I've also seen Crown of Thorns as part of the most epic encore ever (IMO):

Around The Bend
Harvest Moon
Crown Of Thorns
Crazy Mary
Alive

P.S. That was the FIRST encore of the show. They came back out and played another 8 songs after that.

bread's done
Back