StopGameStop.com

This came up in the past year. Good concept, but the presentation is horrendous (bad color scheme, font, and organization). That's the only thing keeping me from hopping the bandwagon.

[quote name='djkunai']This came up in the past year. Good concept, but the presentation is horrendous (bad color scheme, font, and organization). That's the only thing keeping me from hopping the bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

It's true, but it still seems like it has potential to be a fantastic resource.

MjC

[quote name='djkunai']This came up in the past year. Good concept, but the presentation is horrendous (bad color scheme, font, and organization). That's the only thing keeping me from hopping the bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the stopgamestop name is pretty bad too. I just thought it would be a site badmouthing GameStop. Gives it a negative connotation and you just expect it to be run by toothless hillbillies (Sorry, reminded me of the Wal Mart episode of Penn and Teller BS and the people who ran the website there.)

It could be a good concept though if they dropped the anti big business nonsense and just focused on the good of the page.

I added my two local shops to the tally for this area, since the only ones listed were further away.

Personally, I prefer the anti- big business, anti-Gamestop feel of that site, though I noticed some of the stores listed for other areas I sometimes visit(like NJ) are ALSO chain stores, so the site isn't ALL about finding mom n pop shops.

Interesting concept, but I agree with djkunai... the presentation is a train wreck.

Also, their criteria to add to their ongoing dollar tally is ridiculous.... Give them a scan/photo of receipt so they can post it online? No thanks. They'll be lucky if I can be bothered to type a dollar figure in an entry box and hit submit.

Gamestop is a horrible place to shop...Sometimes I get new games there but ONLY WHEN THEY ARE SEALED.

Also, every once in awhile I get a call from a friend there with some rare games they get in on trade but most of the times they dont have a manual or the disk is in bad condition and buffing it makes them worse. However, I got a sealed copy of Silent Hill 3 for 20$ last week. They got it on a trade in, but my friend did the transaction and left it sealed for me. :)

the only mom and pop store mentioned near me was Game Crazy. I dont think i would qualify Game Crazy as a mom and pop store they are usually just as bad as GameStop.

[quote name='Persona7']Gamestop is a horrible place to shop...Sometimes I get new games there but ONLY WHEN THEY ARE SEALED.

Also, every once in awhile I get a call from a friend there with some rare games they get in on trade but most of the times they dont have a manual or the disk is in bad condition and buffing it makes them worse. However, I got a sealed copy of Silent Hill 3 for 20$ last week. They got it on a trade in, but my friend did the transaction and left it sealed for me. :)[/quote]

Jmm I think your friend did the old lets re-wrap a used game and sell it as new seeing as EB/GS will not take sealed games as trade in..

The ones around here are decent, cept on harder to find titles, but that's kind of expected I guess.

Hell, the one store even had guides for $2-3 each, including numerous Silent Hill 3 guides and one Xenosaga I and MK II guide for $3-5 each.

I have a good idea where many of them were coming from(BB and GS pennied stuff), so I just kinda laughed at most, though I wanted the MK 2 one for the emulated version from MAT2.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Every small gamestore I've ever been to has had abysmal prices.[/QUOTE]
Sadly, my experience as well, at least 80% of the time.

[quote name='chakan']Sadly, my experience as well, at least 80% of the time.[/quote]

the last time i went to one the guy at the register was pushing all these new 'genesis' games he just got in

[quote name='Derrick1979']Jmm I think your friend did the old lets re-wrap a used game and sell it as new seeing as EB/GS will not take sealed games as trade in..[/QUOTE]He did the transaction himself. (aka person on the inside) He then bought it for me using his discount and I just paid him back. ;)

He called me within 10 minutes of the trade in and I was there in 5!

[quote name='MCalvert1']I just stumbled across this site. It seems like it could be useful in spreading the word about mom & pops:

www.stopgamestop.com

Please add some local places. I see MD has no stores listed yet at all.

MjC[/quote]

Is Pandoras Box still around? I know they got busted for selling modded Xbox's with roms on them a few years back. They had 3-4 stores in the Balt, DC area.

[quote name='musha666']Yea, the stopgamestop name is pretty bad too. I just thought it would be a site badmouthing GameStop. Gives it a negative connotation and you just expect it to be run by toothless hillbillies (Sorry, reminded me of the Wal Mart episode of Penn and Teller BS and the people who ran the website there.)

It could be a good concept though if they dropped the anti big business nonsense and just focused on the good of the page.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking (excepting the bit about toothless hillbillies...)

Wow, that site is horrid. Good idea, bad execution.

It really wouldn't be that hard to put a decent site like that together, especially if some CAG's got involved to input stores.

[quote name='Puffa469']Is Pandoras Box still around? I know they got busted for selling modded Xbox's with roms on them a few years back. They had 3-4 stores in the Balt, DC area.[/QUOTE]

The White Marsh store closed a while back; good riddance, I say. As far as I know, the College Park store is still around. I think there may have been a store in northern VA; if there is/was, I don't know if it's still around.

As for indy stores around here, none are listed because there aren't any as far as I know. The only non-EBGS game store(s) in the area I can think of is Power Gamer in Towsontowne Center and Glen Burnie. From what I recall, their game prices are kinda 'eh' - they do sell vintage stuff (Atari and such) on occasion if they get it in, but if the games are in the display case, some of the prices are kinda laughable. I have fished a few decent finds out of boxes I found behind the counter for a couple bucks each in the past, though. They seem to get some decent used anime stuff in on occasion, but they sell a lot of bootlegs, which is annoying.

They also have a cheap guide rack which can be fun to look through; like IATCG and his local store, I can go through: "This one's from EB, BB, BB, EB...."

There's a store near me called 'CGX' that sells newer used games (like, Guitar Hero III or Halo 3) for $56.99. And you guys thought Gamestop's $54.99 was bad :lol:

I'm also with everyone else, in that there's alot of work involved in order to get your total up on their site. Many of the small shops I go to say 'thanks for the biz' and send ya on yer way with no receipt many times. So, scanning a receipt would be a major pita when ya don't HAVE one.

bread's done
Back