Store Screwups...Get a cheap game because of a screwup?

Syncmaster

CAGiversary!
STORE SCREWUPS!
This happened to me quite a ways back but... one day I was shopping around downtown. Nothing in paticular, just nosing around. Eventually, I came by a small Giant Tiger in small mall, I went in, looked around and saw nothing of interest, and then I noticed the used game rack... I went over to the rack and took a gander (I love that word). At the time, in canada, all used N64 games were about $30 (about $25 USD). So, I was looking, and then I saw one game priced at $3, a big SCREW UP... I'm not sure about america, but in Canada, it's law for the company to give you the lower marked price unless tampered by the customer... I didn't do it, so they had to sell it to me for $3! The game was war gods... it sucks, BUT IT WAS ONLY $3!!!! :D

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Yep it sure is correct i worked at stein mart and now at sams club and if something is marked wrong price by mistake the retailer has to sell it to the customer for that price, it happens quite frequently at my sams but not on the games , damn then lol

Yes i think it pretty much works everywhere.
If its just a sign that has the screw up price then they (us stores) wont usually honor the price. Only what their Sticker price on items are.

But it does happen a lot at bestbuy and we have to honor it.

I got a copy of Dungeons and Dragons heroes for $16 like 2 weeks after it was released because of a pricing error at Wal-mart. Needless to say i was pretty happy!

During the Mega Crazy KB Toys sales I got a copy of NCAA Football 2004 for xbox for $9.99 becuase the store screwed up. As we all know, it was NCAA Football 2002 that was supposed to be $9.99 but heck, ten bucks for a fifty buck (at the time) game isnt too shabby.

my sister bought Dark Cloud 2 from KB Toys with the 20% off for $33, and then i found a different KB selling DC 2 for $15. i brought my sister's receipt and instead of getting the real difference, about $17 with tax, i got the original difference before the 20% off, $27. i got DC 2 for about $6 or $7.

During the videogame liquadation sale at KB I got Rogue Squadron 3 Rebel Strike for 14.99 because they had thrown it in with the bonus disc which also was 14.99, now if only the code for the Return of the Jedi arcade game would be released .......

Dragon's Lair 3D (PC) was priced wrong (with sticker) at Wal-Mart here in Canada and my friend tried to buy it (I think it was $12 when it first came out) and the cashier flat out refused to honor the stickered price, pointing to a sign they have near the cash saying they don't have to honor mispriced items. So doesn't always work.

I used to work at K-Mart years ago, and we'd catch people switching stickers on items all the time.

[quote name='grayghost81']During the Mega Crazy KB Toys sales I got a copy of NCAA Football 2004 for xbox for $9.99 becuase the store screwed up. As we all know, it was NCAA Football 2002 that was supposed to be $9.99 but heck, ten bucks for a fifty buck (at the time) game isnt too shabby.[/quote]

Same thing happened with me and NCAA Basketball 2004, it made quite a nice christmas present.

In Michigan there is a state law that forces a retailer to honor a stickered price. And, if an item scans at a higher price, the consumer is entitled to the difference, AND an additional 10x the difference up to $5.

The law was intended to make retailers be more dilligent in the accuracy of their computer pricing. There was (and is) a high volume of complaints of retailers overcharging for items regularly by advertising a product and stickering it at one price, but the product scans at a higher price. Kmart, Meijer, and Home Depot were all defendants in a class action suit a number of years back.

So, if you buy a game stickered at $15, but it rings up as $20 (it must be 'scanned' by a upc scanner) then you are entitled to the difference ($5) and an additional 10x the difference up to $5 ($5). So you would end up getting the game for $10.

Wal-Mart had a sticker on the rack for the N64 controller made by Nintendo for $14.99 about a year or so ago. I left the store, checked around other stores to see if that was the best price, then came back about a week later. I took the controller to the register, and it rang up as the typical $29.99. I took them over to show them the price sticker, so they gave it to me for $14.99. While ringing it up, the cashier asked another employee to remove the sticker.

All of those are awesome, I had no idea that many people actually had the same thing happen... although I can see why it would be easy to just have a computer or price gun problem. Thanks for the responses, keep em' coming.

it's not a deal on games, but the first week that braveheart was released, bb accidentally marked it at 9.99! it was funny b/c i think i went there to buy it for 14.99 or 19.99 and it was a nice surprise. i bought 2 and gave one away as a gift :)

[quote name='bmulligan']In Michigan there is a state law that forces a retailer to honor a stickered price. And, if an item scans at a higher price, the consumer is entitled to the difference, AND an additional 10x the difference up to $5.

The law was intended to make retailers be more dilligent in the accuracy of their computer pricing. There was (and is) a high volume of complaints of retailers overcharging for items regularly by advertising a product and stickering it at one price, but the product scans at a higher price. Kmart, Meijer, and Home Depot were all defendants in a class action suit a number of years back.

So, if you buy a game stickered at $15, but it rings up as $20 (it must be 'scanned' by a upc scanner) then you are entitled to the difference ($5) and an additional 10x the difference up to $5 ($5). So you would end up getting the game for $10.[/quote]

This law applies more when you're grocery shopping than when you're shopping for electronics. Grocery prices fluctuate much more than video game prices, so it's much more common to find price disagreements there. However, I do know a couple stores that have refused to acknowledge the scanning law, and since court costs are much more than the $5 someone would be entitled to, these stores can get away with it.

Got Test Drive (Xbox) for 4.98. Price was marked on shelf near register (4.98) but rang up as 19.99 . Had that changed in a jiffy :)

Last month at Circuit City I was looking through the clearence bin and there sat Counter Strike for the Xbox with a $14.98 The Pianist DVD sticker on it. Took it to the cashier asked it was the correct price he scanned the sticker barcode instead of the upc on back. Asked if I could pay for it rigth there he looked at me smiled and said "Your afraid it might ring up higher up front", so I think he knew it was tagged wrong but he still let me have it.

Then late last month at Target I grabbed the last Megaman Zero GBA. The electronics guy rang up my other stuff then the game and my total was $4 something the guy looked at the game and said"man that's a cheap game". I wanted to laugh so bad. I paid and left quickly, as the game was out of the system and rang up $0.00.

Finally this past monday I got the last 4 copies (for me and some friends)of Megaman NT at Target. Finally getting the guy to do a price check(1st time I've encountered this prob) and to the look on his face at the $7.48 he got the other 3 from the case and mistakenly only charged me for 2 of them.
So I paid and got the hell out of dodge and just hoped he had demagnitized all 4 games.

Got Resident Evil 0 for 29.99 the week it came out at target. They put the game on the Residen Evil 1 slot which was 29.99 at the time. It rang up 50 but since the cashier had to get it out of the case he saw the 29.99 price too. He called the manager and without even hesitating the manager said it was ok to sell it to me for $29. While i was paying he immediately removed the incorrect label on the shelf and printed the correct label.

Went christmas shopping at Best buy and came across 2 shopping carts filled with games, and the sign on the cart said everything in the cart was $20. I came across about 5 copies of Beyond good and Evil which were 39.99 at the time (about 2 weeks after it was released). I got a copy and took it to the register where it rang up $40. I remembered the name of the BB employee i spoke to and told the cashier "Ray" said it should be $20. The cashier said ok. Even though both of these games can be found cheaper now, I have to say it was cool getting cheapass newly released games. Yes I did brag to my friends about both purchases. Hehe

One day I was going through clearence stuff at TRU! I found three Netlink for the Sega Saturn for $4.90 each. So I bought all 3, I don't know why though. My wife was pissed off that I bought them. I tried one out for a day, this was before I had a pc for the Net. I took them into a local game shop, the guy gave me $100 in cash and $100 in store credit for all three. This wasn't a true screw up, but a good story. And my wife was VERY happy in the end.

Ok another story! Years ago when Hills/Ames was clsoing down, I was once again scoping the store, Behind the counter they had 3 N64's and 3 PS1's, opened and returned. They were all $20 each! I decide to buy one and the cashier said, "They are broken!" I told my wife they were returns and would work and that is was only $20. When I got home I hooked it up and it worked. So the next day I went back and bought all of them, to the shock of the cashier. All in all I made a couple of hundred off of these systems. Once again my wife was very HAPPY!

went to the wherehouse last year, looked at the video game section to find Final Fantasy 8 for 99 cents. Came out to 25 cents per disc. :)

[quote name='C_A']Got WWF RAW for Game Gear for 5 dollars a few weeks after it came out. I overpaid.[/quote]
Man, that game does majorly suck. But not as bad as Friday the 13th (NES)... My friend got it for a buck... and THAT WAS STILL overpaying.

I have a friend who bought an $850.00 set on congas for $85.00. I guess the pricing guy made a typo. A VERY expensive typo.

I don't know if I'd consider it a score screwup, but I once got a 110-in-1 NES multicart for free from Funcoland. When I noticed the weird-looking cartridge on the shelf and asked about it, the manager said that I could have it for free since they weren't supposed to have it in the first place anyway.

I just had an occurrence like this.
I bought four games yesterday at TRU's BOGO PS2 Value Games deal.
I took them all out of that horrible plastic, but only actually opened one [Devil May Cry, which is one *beautiful* game so far].
Decided I didn't want one of them, and wanted to exchange it.
Went to TRU today [had something else to return], with the one I wanted to exchange. I said "I want to return this [item to return and receipt] and exchange this [game and receipt.] The game I want is also on the promo rack."
She asked somebody if they could take it back since it was out of the hard plastic thing, the person she asked said Sure, if it's sealed and he has the receipt. So she processed my first return [which was a totally legit return] and circled one of the items on the game receipt. Then she got sent to a register, and someone came to finish it. She grabbed the game, scanned it, hit Return, and said "Here you go, receipt and return receipt, 21.38 back on your Discover card. Thanks!" and started doing something else.
So that receipt had 1 game for 19.99 and two games for 0.00. So I went back to the BOGO deal, picked up the game I had wanted to exchange for, and another game, and bought them fresh. So 42.xx for five games isn't too bad at all.

I got a Sega Saturn and Madden 98 for 8 bucks at sears. The Saturn was on clearance for $40, and the madden was $20. I signed up for a credit card to get 10 percent off and When i was doing this, she forgot to ring up the saturn. I got the Three free games too.

When Kirby's Avalanche came out on the SNES my local Target had somehow put stickers on them for $6 each (the game was a brand new release). They only had two - one for me and one for a birthday present.

I've also picked up Aliens vs. Predator 2 for $7.50 at K-Mart when it was about a month old. I love employees that put the wrong stickers on everything.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts going crazy over game deals all the time...but recently she was at Bestbuy, and I had ordered her to pick me up Metroid: Zero Mission for $25....she brought some cds and the game to the register, they rang up her cd's, took the game out of the clam shell, and forgot to ring it up! She was nervous as hell that security was going to stop her but they barely looked at her receipt and let her through!

If someone at a Ma and Pa store or even a family or individual run business forgets to charge you I think it's better to be honest and let them know if their mistake....but F Bestbuy!

Back when Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo was extremely expensive as a used game, I found one for $6 at a local record exchange. The manager grabbed it from me and was like "wow, somebody screwed up. This should be at least $30." "Yeah," I replied, "I'm glad I found it." :p

[quote name='moiety']So basically the employee at TRU screwed up? Hah sweet![/quote]

Yep...part of it, I guess, was the confusion by two cashiers handling my transaction. But I walked in, gave them the products, said exactly what I wanted to do [even saying 'exchange' instead of 'return']; what they did with that information [ie, not listen to me] was up to them. And I'm not a crook, and don't advocate purposefully ripping stores, big or little off, but TRU didn't hire me to proofread or supervise their clerks. I'm generally a little more open if it is a little store, especially one with personal service, and I'm not anti-big business; but those big-box stores, they have lowered the bar themselves by cutting costs and service.

jshorr: You 'ordered' her to get you Metroid? You'll probably have lots of time to play when she's freezing you out ;)

This was a looooong time ago. They used to have this store in the mall (I forgot the name, it was in Mall of America in Miami) anyways it was going out of business and they had a Game Genie for the Nintendo for 25 cents. This was when it has just come out too, man I will always remember that. That was a great deal considering I was like what less than 10 or 8 years old.

[quote name='jshorr']I had ordered her to pick me up Metroid: Zero Mission for $25[/quote]
"Women were put on this earth to serve men. They will do what they are told and like it!"
NOT!!!

One of my best friends says that all the time, joking of course, it's hilarious the looks some people give him when he says it! :p

I know its not a game, but its still a DVD! I got Chappelle's show DVD for $13 yesterday at Blockbuster, retails for $22, because the cashier miscounted my money. I didn't realize until I was already home. Not really that cheap, but still a sweet deal.

There was a thread about a sale at Circuit City. The Sims XBox was on sale for $16.99. Mind you, The Sims Bustin' Out just recently came out and is still $49.99. Ya, you know where this is going ...

I go in to pick up The Sims for $16.99. When I get there, there is the little red plastic sale thingy that says XBox The Sims $16.99 BUT ... it's infront of a stack of The Sims Bustin' Out! (they were out of the Sims) So I figure I'll give it a try, the worst they can say is no, right? Well, I also found a non-PH version of Morrowind that was still marked at $29.99 instead of $19.99 (been wanting it anyhow, so I picked it up too).

When I get to the counter the guy rings up Morrowind, it comes up $29.99 and I tell him it's wrong ... PH, 19.99, yada, yada. He calls the video-game-guy over and he says "Yeah, she's right it should be $19.99" Video-game-guy leaves.

Then, the cashier grabs The Sims Bustin' Out and it comes up $49.99 and I tell him it's sitting infront of a sign that says $16.99. He tries to call video-game-guy but no answer so he asks me "Where did you get this?" I tell him "Here I'll show you" so we walk to the shelf and there it is, sitting pretty as can be. So he says "Ok". I guess he figured since I knew what I was talking about with Morrowind, and he had no clue, I must be right.

Bottom line: I walked out with the Sims Bustin' Out for $16.99 WOOHOO!! Yeah I felt kinda bad, but not too bad! :)

Damn this ended up being pretty long :oops:

bread's done
Back