Street Fighter 2 Tips?

Nathan_Sama

CAGiversary!
I have the anniversary ed. for xbox (using it on a 360) and, to put bluntly, I suck :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I suck in every aspect of the game.....

I wanna play this game better so im looking for tips from veterans!

HALP?

1. Don't use the 360 controller. Get a stick or something, don't play on 360, etc. The 360 controller is not suited for this game at all.

2. Practice. Learn some moves. The internet is your friend when it comes to information about any Street Fighter game. Try looking on gamefaqs for move lists if you don't know them. I usually hit up the shoryuken.com wiki pages. Here's a link to the strategy portion of it http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Strategy_Guide#Capcom_Games.

3. Practice. And remember, everyone was a beginner at some point. ;)

4 Practice. Play some real people instead of the CPU all the time.

Well regaurdless of what controller you use you need to develope your own controller for a fighting game. However this is the same for any game.

The SNES and Saturn controller was built for fighting games.
These controllers had the keys arranged in such a manor that resembles a arcade. Since the fighting game was the model 2d game in terms of graphics.

Newer controllers like the N64 and Dreamcast was built for gameplay in 3d. Like the 3d Nights controller that allowed true 360 movement which most people can never do with a regular D-pad unless it has like 12-16 touch points which even the PSX does not have.

Fighting games gave wayne to 3d as most games in 3d looks superior to fighting games in 3d.

Don't even bother trying to get good. No matter how much you practice, you'll always end up coming across a 9 year old Asian kid that will completely fuck your shit up with Zangeif.

[quote name='jalu6']Don't even bother trying to get good. No matter how much you practice, you'll always end up coming across a 9 year old Asian kid that will completely fuck your shit up with Zangeif.[/QUOTE]

Or some douche online that will spam E. Honda's thousand punch shit followed by his flying head-butt to a flying butt-in-your-face.

Don't just use the HP and HK. Mix in a little LP and LK (pokes) once in a while. Use the manual and learn all the special moves for a character. Then use those moves in different situations. Send me a friend invite and I'll throw down with you.

Sweep the leg!!!! lol

I went through sf2 puberty with the dragon punch (forward,down, down-forward + punch). It was awkward until I started hitting buttons before completing the motion.

Hadoken - down, d-f, f + punch

Sweep the leg - hold down, roundhouse kick :)

Keep the opponent guessing

Once you get the hang of things you will be flying all over the screen doing anothing but super moves. Just choose your favorite character and stick with them.

I grew up in the arcades, so I favor the arcade sticks. My thumbs just don't work like I need them to.

The only way to get better is to play, so just play!

You can find the 360 arcade stick for $40 if you look hard enough. I might be able to find one and ship it for cost + gas. Hit me up if anyone is interested.

If you have no honor then learn to cheez with Honda or Blanka. They seem to be the easiest for noobs to pick up. I personally use Zangief so I stick to a very up-close game. I destroy shotos but tend to have a problem with seasoned Blanka & Honda players. That's the only reason why I recommended them. They may not be so troublesome to other players. Turbo controllers also help in this aspect, but keep in mind it's frowned upon and easy to tell if someone is using turbo. You'll notice that a majority of the players will use the shotos (Ken, Ryu) Use that to your advantage. Most shoto players fall into a pattern that's easy to recognize.

If you don't put 100% into this you will always get rocked by the pros. Some people are insane when it come to Street Fighter. I play SF HF online every once n' a while and I notice people take their ranking very seriously. Most everyone that's a high rank will quit the match if you win, and for this reason I stopped playing online so much.

But hankmecrankme already gave you the best advice: PRACTICE. Nobody is instantly good at this.

Easist SF2 strategy against Cheapo (I'm look at you E Honda), is use Chun Li, Medium punch into throw. Chun Li is quick enough to take a step and through while oppenent is blocking. I mastered this in the arcade growing up and it worked almost every time I ran into a cheapo.

Cross ups.. followed with a quick 2-4 hit combo. and also, watch you-tube there's plenty of videos to watch on various combos.

Also learn to fight withou using special moves. if someones' jumping at you, you don't always have to use a dragon punch to knock them out of the sky.

[quote name='Thomas96']Cross ups.. followed with a quick 2-4 hit combo. and also, watch you-tube there's plenty of videos to watch on various combos.

Also learn to fight withou using special moves. if someones' jumping at you, you don't always have to use a dragon punch to knock them out of the sky.[/quote]

Good point. Sometimes it's easier to fight with the regular moves and throws instead of always trying to pull off the flashy combos and super moves.

if you're playing the CPU keep in mind that it's super hard even on the easiest difficulty. AE and ST are like that.

[quote name='kainzero']if you're playing the CPU keep in mind that it's super hard even on the easiest difficulty. AE and ST are like that.[/QUOTE]

what is AE? i'm confused.. is ST street fighter? ..

I got SF2 anniversary D-pad controllers. i like game pad instead of joysticks.. but its "easier" to do "special moves" on a joystick.

my strategy was use Ken/Ryu.. jump HK into trip the legs, into jump high kick into trip the legs.. get them stuck in a corner.

if that doesn't work then use the easier "dragon punch" d+df+f punch.. when they are vunerable then hard kick them repeat.

I found that the game is much easier this way.. but i thought the easier diffuculties on street fighter were super easy.. also the normal wasn't that hard.

the key to most fighting games is to find a weakness and exploit it.. SF no different.

I suck hard at fighting games. Well, maybe except Smash Melee. I eventually became "that guy" in the group of friends who wasn't any fun to play against because I almost lived and breathed that game.

Practice is key. At some point during those endless hours, you'll start to pick up the game and understand the inner workings. It all just takes time. Just don't become "that guy".

On another note, I tried getting into Guilty Gear (another 2d fighting game). I practiced combos and some technical stuff. But when it really came down to it, I sucked against real people. What I learned from that is that you should start from the basics until you master them. Otherwise, frustration will most likely get you in the end. Play real people as much as you can, nothing better than playing real thinking opponents.

I love doing Zangief's body splash cross-up then mixing it up with a sweep or a grab of my choice. Playing mind games is fun.

Well, I am a Guile player primarily, but don't be afraid to use jabs or ahort kicks. They are quick and good for starting combos.

Don't forget there is no air blocking. If you jump in the air for any reason you better be commited to it because you are wide open if you make a mistake.

[quote name='urzishra14']what is AE? i'm confused.. is ST street fighter?[/quote]
AE = anniversary edition. also known as Hyper SF2.

ST = Super Turbo, SSF2T.

I would spend hours trying to beat T. Hawk on ST against the CPU. On any other version, I would beat the game in under an hour.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I have the anniversary ed. for xbox (using it on a 360) and, to put bluntly, I suck :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I suck in every aspect of the game.....

I wanna play this game better so im looking for tips from veterans! [/quote]

To be honest, I'm not good at Hyper SF2 on the Anniversary collection either.

But it's mostly because the game has some balance issues that weren't worked out before they released it. Read the reviews for the collection and they'll say the same thing. It's kinda hard to beat the CPU using SF2 versions of the fighters when they're using turbo or SSF2 speed characters.

What about Third Strike? If you have the Anniversary Edition, try out 3rd strike, it might be easier to play / get into.

I recommend picking Ryu and master him first, since he's the easiest to learn and play with. After learning a few tactics and such, go into learning other characters, and you'll eventually learn the game.

I recommending picking up Capcom Collections vol 2, theres a really good tutorial created by a SF2 pro in the bonus video section that teaches advance moves.

Here's my typical combo for Zangief. Jumping hold down + short kick to do that knee drop and then crouching short kick to jab punch, two in one into a spinning piledriver or that weird dragon punch thing he does depending on the version of SF you're playing.

[quote name='tangytangerine']But it's mostly because the game has some balance issues that weren't worked out before they released it. Read the reviews for the collection and they'll say the same thing. It's kinda hard to beat the CPU using SF2 versions of the fighters when they're using turbo or SSF2 speed characters.[/quote]
there are balance issues but they're not what you're referring to.

sf2 characters can't do reversals, meaning you can tick throw them to death if you do it perfectly. they can also dizzy people easier.
sf2 to sf2 turbo have cps1 chain combos. you can link a jab to a fierce.

get tagged with ce sagat's uppercut, that's like a quarter damage.
if ce ken dizzies you with two fireballs in the beginning of the match, then he does fierce cancelled into fierce shoryuken, that's 3 quarters of your life right there.

the real balance issue is with ce bison, whose psycho crusher does more damage on block than a jab, randomly crosses up when you do it as a meaty attack (an attack as he gets up), and he has super easy redizzy combos.

try to push the opponent into a corner, use low leg sweeps to knock them down, make sure to BLOCK!, time your counters and you can stop any combo with a light punch most of the time, with my experience guile and vega are unstoppable if used by a seasoned player

Ok> OLD SCHOOL SF2 CRASH COURSE

Do not jump. There is no blocking in the air, and EVERY CHARACTER has anti-air moves, it's just a question of whether they know how to use them or not. If your opponent is a noob, and won't stop throwing fireballs as Ryu, sure, jump and punish him, but any SF player worth their salt knows that the first and most fundamental strategy for advanced play is to PUNISH THE JUMPER. Don't be a dump jumper.

Learn the strengths of your character. SF2 is old enough that each character is strongly defined by one, two, at most three playing styles, with certain MEAT and POTATOES moves and others obviously just weak and unusable. For example, Ryu, his sweeps and fireball/dragon punch make up his main arsenal. Fireball the enemy when it's safe and play the ground game by using crouch forward into fireball to wear away at the enemy's life. Crouch roundhouse if they do a move close to you and miss completely, and use short (both crouching and standing) to counter enemies who have better reach. Bait the enemy into jumping by getting off safe fireballs and then faking them into jumping when you actually haven't done one, punish with dragon punch or crouching fierce/standing roundhouse. Ryu/Ken's crouching fierce is a phenomenal anti-air move against 80% of the other characters, but do not use it against Chun-Li/Blanka/Vega/MBison, these guys have very high priority air moves that require a dragon punch counter. Guile is infamous for being the most terrible jumper in the game, he travels far and slow in the air and is EASILY punished in the air.

Counter tick throws by pulling away (joystick or pad) from the opponent and hitting the throw button. Tick throws can be a cheap way noobs use to get easy wins. The basics of the technique is just to get in as close as possible, do a jab (usually crouching) or short, send the other player into their blocking animation, and then push forward and fierce/roundhouse for a throw. This works because the light jab/short doesn't push the blocking player far enough out of throw range, and because the animation of the defending player goes from blocking immediately into being thrown, it looks almost automatic. But what most noobs don't know is that the defender can input throw and counter even in blocking animation. Just pull back away from the attacker and tap on your thrown button when you are in blocking animation, if you are pulling back and hitting throw, you will ALWAYS have higher priority.

If you get cornered, don't stay there. Being in the corner essentially means you have only 2 directions to go, forward, or jump forward. Since jumping straight up gets you nowhere, being in the corner makes it THAT MUCH EASIER for the opponent to anticipate a mistake/opening and attack you.

Don't play as E Honda, that fat bastard just doesn't cut it in old school SF2.

bread's done
Back