Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike: ONLINE EDITION HYPE THREAD: XBLA/PSN Aug 24! New trailer

joe2187

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Didn't see a thread on this so here it is.

Artwork
street-fighter-3-third-strike-online.png

07_sf3art01t.jpg
07_sf3art02t.jpg
07_sf3art03t.jpg
07_sf3art04t.jpg
07_sf3art05t.jpg

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmbw7oLNeWU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omY0WItHGZY&feature=player_embedded
credit goes to MtlTom

GamePplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVv9ILQtR1o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPjzTnyZtyU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi2C2SV-Kz4&feature=related

Features:

index03.jpg

index02.jpg

index01.jpg

• YouTube Sharing.
• Summer 2011 release date.
• Enhanced visuals.
• Arcade Perfect port.
• GGPO enabled.

• Street Fighter® Continues: Set in a timeline after Street Fighter® IV, follow the next chapter in the epic Street Fighter universe.

• GGpo-Enabled online play: Street Fighter iii: Third Strike online Edition will be the first pure fighting game to use true GGPO-enabled online functionality, allowing for pixel-perfect arcade play online, including a matching system and leaderboards.

• Unchanged Arcade Gameplay: Utmost care was taken to maintain an arcade perfect experience and preserve the deep gameplay system that has become revered as one of the most sophisticated in the fighting genre.

• Upgraded visuals: With new art and UI matched to hand-tuned HD filtering options, players can customize their viewing experience to their preference, even playing in a simulated arcade cabinet.

• YouTube replay Sharing: Not only will players be able to watch local and global match replays in-game, but with a click of a button they can upload replays directly to YouTube to share with the rest of the world.

• Watch with Friends: A new channel that broadcasts a continuous live feed of the best match being played at any given moment, and also enables searches for specific matches to be viewed solo or with buddies.

• Special Features and unlockables: Optional side panel appears on-screen to provide challenges and track progress as players push their limits to unlock achievements and rewards.

Genre: Fighting
Platforms: PlayStation® Network, Xbox LIVE® Arcade
# players: 1 or 2
Release Date: 2011
ESRB rating: T for Teen
Price: $14.99 / 1,200 MS Points
Developer: Capcom

IN DEPTH INFO:

Gameplay details and general info

• This game is more arcade perfect than any console port of SF3 3s to date.

• Capcom said the GGPO experience with the console port is better than how GGPO played on the PC. Apparently they dialed in some of the settings a bit.

• There is a DLC (Downloadable Content) section, but Capcom couldn't talk about it yet.

• Gill is still playable, but he's an unlockable character. He's not available in any kind of ranked or tournament modes, though.
• A quick rematch feature exists along with a random character select option.

• Stage select before fighting somebody is now in the game.

• A couple of game crashing bugs were fixed. This is of the game crash/freeze fix variety, nothing that impacts gameplay.

• There won't be a PC release at launch, but it's not something that can be ruled out yet.

• Stun numbers and damage numbers will also be viewable.

• There's a two player training mode option, but it's offline only.

• You can check the credits list for the names of pro players in the community that were consulted when creating this title.

• No plans for a rebalanced patch at any point.

Graphic options and notes

• Three filters in the game. Crisp, Smooth and None, in addition to the previously mentioned scanline filter.

• The graphic filters do not introduce any kind of input lag.

• In full widescreen mode, the image is stretched a little bit. There's a secondary widescreen mode which doesn't do any stretching and keeps the original 4:3 aspect ratio.

• Capcom went back and grabbed some of the original artwork from the game and rescanned it in HD. There's also some fan art in there as well.

• The sprites were not edited in any way, and if you want to see them how they were, you can turn off all of the graphical filters.

• Stage backgrounds from New Generation and 2nd Impact are not available in the vault as unlockables.

• All of the colors that were available in the home console versions are in this one as well.

YouTube upload, match saving, group viewing

• A replay match database is searchable by keywords, player rank and other things. You can also put together a playlist.

• On the PS3 version, you can upload matches to your own YouTube account.

• There's a watch with friends feature, where you can download replays and talk with your friends while they're going on. For example, if there's a tournament, you can grab the matches from it and sit back and check them out with other people.

Challenges and unlockables

• There are hundreds of dynamic challenges to take on. These are the achievements on the sides of the screen as you're playing, the left side for player 1 and the right for player 2. Players have to be signed into an account for the dynamic challenges to come up.

• There is over 200 pieces of unlockable content in the vault. Artwork, remixed themes and many other things.

Music

• Remixed music and default music is available.

• All of the sounds and music were reripped in higher quality from the original arcade release. No sounds or voices were changed.

• New Generation and 2nd Impact character themes are not available.

SCREENS:
06_sf3screen01.jpg

06_sf3screen02.jpg

06_sf3screen03.jpg

06_sf3screen04.jpg

06_sf3screen05.jpg

06_sf3screen06.jpg

06_sf3screen07.jpg

06_sf3screen08.jpg

06_sf3screen09.jpg

Interviews and Previews:
Hands on With 3rd Strike online edition
THE RUNDOWN: In depth video preview of every feature in the game Part 1
THE RUNDOWN: In depth video preview of every feature in the game Part 2

Stages:
830px-3rdstrikehugostage.png

brawl-sfstage.jpg

18.gif

akuma3sbackground8yr.gif

UrienStageMexico.gif

830px-KouryuStreetRedMoon.png

830px-KouryuStreet.png

Characters:

Akuma:
akuma.gif

Alex:
alex.gif

Chun Li:
chunli.gif

Dudley:
dudley.gif

Elena:
elena.gif

Hugo:
hugo.gif

Ibuki:
ibuki.gif

Ken:
ken.gif

Makoto:
makoto.gif

Necro:
necro.gif

Oro:
oro.gif

Q:
q.gif

Remy:
remy.gif

Ryu:
ryu.gif

Sean:
sean.gif

Twelve:
twelve.gif

Urien:
urien.gif

Yang:
yang.gif

Yun:
yun.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favorite Street Fighter. I will be buying this day one... only to get my ass completely handed to me round after round ;)

Can't wait for this game. I've added it to the CAG Fighter directory already. Sign up if you plan on getting it!

I don't like that they stretched it to make it widescreen. I guess we'll have to see if the info on the left side of the screen gets annoying.

But I'll be buying it anyway.

[quote name='Ziv']I don't like that they stretched it to make it widescreen. I guess we'll have to see if the info on the left side of the screen gets annoying.

But I'll be buying it anyway.[/QUOTE]

You have the option of not stretching it though. That's what those info panes are for. So it can maintain its 4:3 ratio.

Excited for this. Never got a chance to fully get into 3rd Strike, so this will will be awesome.

Pretty excited for this, as I was always partial to SF3, despite not being that good at it.

The features in this look pretty sweet, but I'm fucking disappointed to see there's already a DLC option in the game, and it's not even out yet. I know this is pretty much a given in any fighting game that's going to come out now, but it's still sad to see.

I'm gonna grab this, even though I usually don't grab stuff at 1200 MSP. But, it's Street Fighter III, I need this, even if I'm gonna get smacked down match after match after match.

there was no way to make this wide screen? I love this game. My main plea is, KEEP THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK. One of the best video game soundtracks ever imo.

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA.

[quote name='xblaze23']there was no way to make this wide screen? I love this game. My main plea is, KEEP THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK. One of the best video game soundtracks ever imo.

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA.[/QUOTE]

It really is a great soundtrack. After watching some videos of the game from E3 last night, I had to find the soundtrack that came with the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection guide (such a shame someone walked away with it) and rip it to my hard drive.

I don't know why but I'm still on the fence about buying it even though this, Capcom vs SNK 2, and Soul Calibur 2 were my most played fighting games. Can't argue with the great set of features but I don't know how much I'll be playing it.

Like I said, we'll have to see if the info side panel gets annoying or if it can be turned off.

I don't recall MvC2 having any stretching for it's widescreen mode. It had a few issues with some supers (Ruby Heart's boat), but it worked.

I am another person who will buy this game day one, play it a ton, get my ass handed to me round after round after round, and love it anyway.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']They should have an achievement for parrying Chun's SA2 called The Daigo or The Beast[/QUOTE]

It's actually a challenge in game, no idea if challenges are tied to any achievements though.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...-3-3s-online-edition-impressions-and-preview/

• One of the parry challenges on expert was EVO MOMENT #37, Daigo vs. Justin. Chun-Li against Ken, on Ken's stage... exactly the same setup. You have to parry all of Chun's attacks and then hit the same combo as Daigo did (Jumping Hard Kick, Crouching Medium Kick, Shoryuken, Cancel into Super).

[quote name='Ziv']Like I said, we'll have to see if the info side panel gets annoying or if it can be turned off.

I don't recall MvC2 having any stretching for it's widescreen mode. It had a few issues with some supers (Ruby Heart's boat), but it worked.[/QUOTE]

MvC2 had 3D backgrounds. Those are easy to "stretch" because they just need to continue the render in the back. Third Strike has drawn, prerendered backgrounds. It's impossible to make it widescreen without stretching it hideously or redo-ing the entire background... and hardcore fans would scream bloody murder.

Just watched some of the hands on videos for this game. I have to say they have surpassed my expectations with this release. I expected a bare-bones arcade port with online play... All the challenges and extra training modes have gotten me excited. Glad to see that they are breathing new life into a game that is over a decade old. A little bummed that SF3: NG and SF3: SI stages aren't going to make the cut though :(

I wonder what DLC they can possibly have in mind for this game. I am thinking along the lines of music and color packs rather than new characters... Guess we will have to wait and find out.

Gonna say it again. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. Hopefully this game will help me get used to my TE stick... I have hardly used it because it still feels awkward.

[quote name='sp8001']A little bummed that SF3: NG and SF3: SI stages aren't going to make the cut though :(

[/QUOTE]

Speculation is that, thats what the DLC is going to be. ;)

They didn't stretchthe backgrounds in MvC2 they just showed more of it in each direction, but you're probably right. Purists would complain that it's changed.

I'm still getting it since it'll make one less game to have to plug the Dreamcast in again.

[quote name='Ziv']They didn't stretchthe backgrounds in MvC2 they just showed more of it in each direction, but you're probably right. Purists would complain that it's changed.

I'm still getting it since it'll make one less game to have to plug the Dreamcast in again.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said "stretch" in quotes. ;)

Actually stretching the art of SFIII would make it look like a pixelated mess. There's no way around that.

EDIT: Check out this features video. I'm actually blown away by the update. They've really thought of everything. Even if I didn't like Third Strike, I'd buy this just so Capcom knows that these kinds of features are what the consumer base wants.
http://blip.tv/the-daily-dl/the-rundown-on-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-part-1-5255552

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to get this game, but this is Capcom so I might have to wait for the re-release of the re-release where all stages/characters are included or there's a physical copy of the game. I still have my SF collection that this came with and mainly plug it in/play it for this. I used to own, own at this game at the arcades years and years ago. Can't even wonder at how many quarters/tokens this machine sucked from me. I personally feel this SF had the best variety and group of characters of any of the SFs, even SF 4/Alphas.

...capcom fighting overload. I loved 3 but holy crap dood, there's been almost as many fighting games recently as there's been FPS.

[quote name='100xp']...capcom fighting overload. I loved 3 but holy crap dood, there's been almost as many fighting games recently as there's been FPS.[/QUOTE]
and that's a bad thing?

[quote name='100xp']...capcom fighting overload. I loved 3 but holy crap dood, there's been almost as many fighting games recently as there's been FPS.[/QUOTE]

The market is flooded every year with hundreds of FPS games, making a competent complete fighting game that has/will develop a community as a unique fighter is alot more difficult.

as long as the developer is going out of its way to support the game, and react to criticism and the community...bring on the fight

More SFIII3S News!!

It also contains lots of options -- again, bordering on excessive. The visual filters from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 are back -- "smooth" and "crisp" along with the original arcade presentation, visible in widescreen or 4:3, with optional scanlines and an "arcade cabinet" mode that curves the image like it's on a CRT. You can save replays and view them again, upload them directly to YouTube, and even watch other players' replays, including the ones identified by the game as matches between the highest-ranked players.

The side of the screen keeps a running list of in-game "challenges" that you qualify for or fail, pertaining to completing so many matches, or parrying so many times, etc. to earn "Vault Points" and unlock extras. If you've played Final Fight Double Impact, you're likely familiar with these challenges.

Some of the stuff you'll be able to unlock includes a crazy number of DIP switch settings, meant to emulate the customizability of the arcade machine. Want to turn air parrying off, but not ground parrying? Sure. Want to make it possible to cancel one Super Arts combo into another? You can do that. It's a truly absurd level of customization.

DIP Switch settings

sf3dip61301.jpg

sf3dip61303.jpg

sf3dip61304.jpg

sf3dip61305.jpg

yeah...I'm still sour over the SFIV > SSFIV "if you hold onto your original disc you'll get something special" thing.

I still 3rd Strike don't get me wrong, I'm still learning how to play MvC3, MK9, and SSFIV AE just came out recently...I have yet to touch that. Oi.

[quote name='100xp']yeah...I'm still sour over the SFIV > SSFIV "if you hold onto your original disc you'll get something special" thing.

[/QUOTE]
What was the something special?

[quote name='ShinSolidus']What was the something special?[/QUOTE]

If you had a SFIV save file, you got the the two extra costume colors (11/12). I'm pretty sure that is all it was.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']What was the something special?[/QUOTE]

basically all you needed was a SFIV "Save" file and you got to unlock a skin/filter for your characters, was very lame and somewhat misleading. if the price is right, I'll probably get 3rd strike as well.

bread's done
Back