Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

drone8888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Not sure if this is the MSRP.

Saw SF:AC, at Target for $19.

Later today, over at Best Buy, it was $29, so.......?

Not sure if this was posted, or adeal, for that matter, but there you go.

:)

I know someone who could kick anybody on this board all over the place on SFII using an X-Arcade. He's an utter gamesplaying genius though, which might help. :D

[quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='ChWMeiNThG'][quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='ChWMeiNThG']I'm a little late getting to this. But Streetfighter OWNS DOA anyday, even with lag. You cant even compare the two because 3rd Strikes fighting engine is so much more technical than DoA's mashing. DoA might have technology in graphics over 3s...but its just not a worthwhile fighting game to even get good at.

BTW, if you want a real arcade stick, DO NOT waste your money on an X-Arcade. Theres way too much lag on that stick. It just makes it even harder to play X-Box live. If you are actually a fighting game enthusiast, go get yourself a MasStick. www.massystems.com[/quote]

MasStick? More like AssStick! Ha ha haaaaaa!
I sense no lag whatsoever on my X-Arcade, so no-one should be scared off. They actually provide instructions for REDUCING responsiveness cause some people find it TOO sensitive. It's especially nice when you have multiple consoles, so you only have to buy a new adapter for $20 and WHAMMO, you've got 2 new X-arcade controllers for your new console.[/quote]

You must not play fighting games very competitively. Everyone in the the whole fighting game scene knows X-Arcades for being piles of shit. I had one, with a DC and X-Box converter. Both lagged ass, and timing is essential in games like 3rd strike, CvS2, and MvC2. X-Arcade's stupid instructions say that you can move the microswitches more inward to make it more sensitive and the throw shorter. That has nothing to do with the lag that it makes because it has to go through their converters. Who cares if its a dual stick, unless you and your friends are all small people, its uncomfortable to play on that shit. Anyays, you probrably havent used a MasStick with a 360 stick on it with convex comp. buttons. You probrably dont even know what I'm talking about, newbie.

People, if you're serious about fighting games, don't buy an X-Arcade. Get at least a custom stick directly for the system that the fighting game is on, or just goto the arcade.[/quote]

And thus, the eternal struggle of "newbie" vs "elitist hard-on" rages on...[/quote]

My point was made wasnt it? I just said newbie because its funny to see people react to that insult, its like the worst thing u can say to video game people. :lol:

I rang up Street Fighter Anniversary Collection myself at Target on Sunday, and the pice rang up as $29.99.

The street Fighter controllers are cool, but I still prefer the Dual Shock 2 over any controller for 2-D fighters and everything else.

[quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='rgam2000']
In any case, I highly recommend the XArcade. I have one with the converters for Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast, and its excellent for all the fighting games.[/quote] I'll second that!

How's the adaptor for Xbox? I just got an Xbox, so I'll be getting the Xarcade adaptor for it real soon. I heard some random site say that it was somehow "incompatible" with Xbox LIVE, but I think they were just referring to using the headset. Any light you can shed on that?[/quote]

The X-Arcade is awful for Xbox fighting games, and worse for anything dependant upon spli second timing. There is a tiny lag between pressing the button and the action on screen. Most of the time it is unnoticeable. When playing a fighting game though, timing is everything & you'll notice that you are whipping off combos like you normally do. Throw internet play into the mix & the inherent lag mays the controller delay even more.

X-Arcade knows about this issue, and has tried to develop a different convertor that will reduce the delay. Reportedly they tested one that cut the delay in half, but to my knowledge it has not been released. They still continue to sell the sub-standard converter for a premium price.

For Xbox, avoid the X-Arcade.

just wanted to clarify... the xarcade works fine for the ps2. it's the xbox adapter that causes lag.

Well since I plunked down a hunk of cash for an Xarcade not too long ago, I will naturally insist on defending it, no matter how desperate, inacurrate, or illogical the argument may get. \:D/ Viva la Xarcade! Yee haw!

Seriously though, in MY EXPERIENCE, I haven't known lag. Buy "my experience" doesn't include any real competitive play (my friends all suck), so maybe I'm bound to be learning the hard way in the near future. My experience doesn't include using it for Xbox either (just got an Xbox last week). So is it supposed to be noticably worse with Xbox than with the other adaptors? Like, would someone who doesn't sense the lag on other adaptors start to notice it with the Xbox one? Anyway I know for a fact they've improved the PlayStation 2 adaptor (I've had two different versions); if it's true they're improving the Xbox ones I hope they don't hold out on everyone.

At some point when I have more mony to throw around, I was thinking about getting one of those big-ass "SlikSticks"... I think those are only for PC though. They any good?

[quote name='JohnEX']just wanted to clarify... the xarcade works fine for the ps2. it's the xbox adapter that causes lag.[/quote]
:evil: I just traded in GGX2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 for PS2, so I could get the Xbox versions. That move could potentially prove to be a huge pain in the ass. And if I understand the previous posts correctly, I take it this lag is present offline as well as online?

[quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='JohnEX']just wanted to clarify... the xarcade works fine for the ps2. it's the xbox adapter that causes lag.[/quote]
:evil: I just traded in GGX2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 for PS2, so I could get the Xbox versions. That move could potentially prove to be a huge pain in the ass. And if I understand the previous posts correctly, I take it this lag is present offline as well as online?[/quote]

the xbox lag is present offline and is a pretty well-known problem. i've heard of some people having success using the xarcade --> xarcade ps2 adapter --> third party adapter for xbox (magicbox?).

i'm just buying all my fighting games for the ps2 for now. at least until xbox live proves to be lag free! 8)

Yeah, they had one copy of SF:AC on the bargain shelf, but it was gone when I got there yesterday.

I played dumb, and asked the guy why they moved the game's price back to $29, when it was $19 2 days prior.

He said it was a mistake. Someone actually tried to buy the single copy I saw, but it rang up $29. The guy bought it anyways.

That's cool.

I feel a whole lot better. If they would have honored the $19 price tag, I would have felt like a knucklehead.

Well, sorry for this thread of bologna.

[quote name='Gosha']Too bad the xbox controller is horrible for fighting games...

It sucks that PS2 fighting game ports are inferior to DC/Xbox ports though.[/quote]

The Duke works fine for six button fighters. The s contrtollers don't though.

I'm wondering why xboxers have to wait so long for their version. Do you think this is Sony at work, a la GTA. Or, perhaps Tecmo, fearing this will steal attention away for DOAU?

[quote name='rebenns'][quote name='Gosha']Too bad the xbox controller is horrible for fighting games...

It sucks that PS2 fighting game ports are inferior to DC/Xbox ports though.[/quote]

The Duke works fine for six button fighters. The s contrtollers don't though.

I'm wondering why xboxers have to wait so long for their version. Do you think this is Sony at work, a la GTA. Or, perhaps Tecmo, fearing this will steal attention away for DOAU?[/quote]

it took months for the PS2 version to make its way to America. hyper has been out for a while in Japan. I think it is more that CAPCOM is lazy

the problem with fighting games and controllers are that you're using 1 finger (your thumb), and possibly a second to press buttons. some people get good at it, but seriously, a person good with 1 thumb is at a greater disadvantage against someone who is good with all available fingers. i agree with everyone that the saturn controller was the best, but that's because i held it differently. i hold the d-pad normally, but i have my hand over my buttons as if i were using a joystick.

for those that don't really play competitively, it's not something you should really concern yourself with, especially considering the fact that really good sticks cost at least a hun, unless you get it custom built or you build yourself. i'm just glad a LOT of people play street fighter, competitive or not, because then we get cool shat like street fighter controllers, street fighter comics, and even a thirty dollar street fighter anniversary edition.

on the other hand, we also got the street fighter cartoon on USA and street fighter the movie...

[quote name='kristianator']the problem with fighting games and controllers are that you're using 1 finger (your thumb), and possibly a second to press buttons. some people get good at it, but seriously, a person good with 1 thumb is at a greater disadvantage against someone who is good with all available fingers. i agree with everyone that the saturn controller was the best, but that's because i held it differently. i hold the d-pad normally, but i have my hand over my buttons as if i were using a joystick.[/quote]
Too bad that's not possible for people that have the anniversary collection and the normal ps2 controller....like me. :cry: R1 and R2 are necessary to have your fingers on, which means you have to hold it the normal way to play it best. If I had the anniversary controller or a good arcade stick, I'd use my other fingers. Fortunately, the layout still works sorta well. My thumb can easily press square and X together or triangle and circle. It's a little uncomfortable to press R1 and R2 together, but that's just taunt anyways. The only real problem is in doing like...the charged up hadouken. Triangle and square are a little hard to press at the same time. The same goes for the kick ones.

Skipped a few pages, anyways the worse controller has got to be DC. Its hard doing super moves, especially in MvsC. I had a 3rd party controller(broken now, my nephews mess with them) and it worked better than the official Sega one.

Someone said the 4 piece directional pad sucks for fighting games, this is not true. I find it working BETTER than Sega's DC one and even some 3rd party sony controllers.

With the cash u spent on an x-arcade and all their converters, you could've gotten 2 Custom sticks for ps2, with x-box converters that dont have the lag. I understand your defense of your X-arcade, but im speaking from the experience of having one too, with all the converters. It just doesnt work nearly as well as it should, especially if you are die hard into fighters.

battousai... EX moves require 2p or 2k, not necessarily jab+strong or short+forward. so to make it easier, just use fierce+jab or roundhouse+short.

i know this is jumping the gun a bit early... but when this game comes out for xbox, who's down for a CAG tourney? could be for sh!ts and giggles, or maybe a prize?

[quote name='kristianator']battousai... EX moves require 2p or 2k, not necessarily jab+strong or short+forward. so to make it easier, just use fierce+jab or roundhouse+short.[/quote]
Oh wow... That helps a lot.

[quote name='ChWMeiNThG']With the cash u spent on an x-arcade and all their converters, you could've gotten 2 Custom sticks for ps2, with x-box converters that dont have the lag. I understand your defense of your X-arcade, but im speaking from the experience of having one too, with all the converters. It just doesnt work nearly as well as it should, especially if you are die hard into fighters.[/quote]I probably should have clarified earlier, but I actually use mine for the PC (MAME) more than anything else. I do use the DC and PS2 converters, but once I get a broadband connection up in my room I will getting a LOT more mileage out of them.
Do they have custom sticks like you described that work with a PC as well? Or does adding PC functionality usually muck-up things (I know you said that dedicated controllers tend to work the best). Anyway, thanks for your advice/suggestions... it's actually inspired me to do some research on the issue. I plan on emailing X-arcade and asking about the latest progress on the Xbox converter (i've heard varying reports on how much they've improved it since the original version). If it doesn't look good, it may be time to invest. At the very least I'll just keep X-arcade around as my MAME controller, if I end up making the jump.

[quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='ChWMeiNThG']With the cash u spent on an x-arcade and all their converters, you could've gotten 2 Custom sticks for ps2, with x-box converters that dont have the lag. I understand your defense of your X-arcade, but im speaking from the experience of having one too, with all the converters. It just doesnt work nearly as well as it should, especially if you are die hard into fighters.[/quote]I probably should have clarified earlier, but I actually use mine for the PC (MAME) more than anything else. I do use the DC and PS2 converters, but once I get a broadband connection up in my room I will getting a LOT more mileage out of them.
Do they have custom sticks like you described that work with a PC as well? Or does adding PC functionality usually muck-up things (I know you said that dedicated controllers tend to work the best). Anyway, thanks for your advice/suggestions... it's actually inspired me to do some research on the issue. I plan on emailing X-arcade and asking about the latest progress on the Xbox converter (i've heard varying reports on how much they've improved it since the original version). If it doesn't look good, it may be time to invest. At the very least I'll just keep X-arcade around as my MAME controller, if I end up making the jump.[/quote]

Ah, i see. I used my X-arcade a lot on PC as well. There was no lag on PC, so it made playing 1945 Strikers Plus a breeze. But they also do make custom PC joysticks, but the X-arcade does that job fine.

Since almost everyone here was criticizing the x-arcade, and owning one myself, I got kind of worried with all of these lag issues that some people were mentioning, so I have been spending some time testing my x-arcade with the converter for xbox:
I did not notice any lag offline. I tested Live, plugging the microphone, and I was able to voice chat with no problems. I went ahead and tried plugging the x-arcade with the ps2 adapter, and using an xbox converter, it worked just fine with no noticeable lag.

The game I used for testing is Capcom vs Snk 2 EO.

[quote name='rgam2000']Since almost everyone here was criticizing the x-arcade, and owning one myself, I got kind of worried with all of these lag issues that some people were mentioning, so I have been spending some time testing my x-arcade with the converter for xbox:
I did not notice any lag offline. I tested Live, plugging the microphone, and I was able to voice chat with no problems. I went ahead and tried plugging the x-arcade with the ps2 adapter, and using an xbox converter, it worked just fine with no noticeable lag.

The game I used for testing is Capcom vs Snk 2 EO.[/quote]

One of the main reasons i got rid of my X-arcade was because of the lag that I got playing CvS2 for X-Box Live. I play now on my X-box dedicated stick and that lag is gone. I'm somewhat of a nitpicker though. Even playing 3s on DC with the X-arcade, i got lag. Parrying a split second early gets annoying, especially playin P-groove on CvS.

I always promoted the x-arcade because it was constantly comparable to a hot rod which I own, And also owning a SF2 WW cabinet which got burned down :(. And now a SF candy cab. I guess i should remember to warn people of a possible xb-xb live lag. Thanks ChWMeiNThG

They sent me a new version of the XBox converter. Seems to work fine to me, but I'll admit, I don't play in big tournaments, just against friends, and they seem to have no trouble with lag either.

[quote name='Trakan']^Yea, I'd rather play the game earlier and then buy it later if it's better on one system or another.[/quote]

In that case, I've got you all beat. I played the game on Super NES and Dreamcast. :shock:

Hmmm...the ps2 one is better than the DC 3s...and the ps2 hyper street fighter is better than the SNES versions, plus SNES never had Super Turbo.

Oh, well using a Xbox converter on a ps2 native joystick has much less lag than the X-arcade's serial adapters. I dont get it but thats how it works out.

[quote name='ChWMeiNThG']Hmmm...the ps2 one is better than the DC 3s...and the ps2 hyper street fighter is better than the SNES versions, plus SNES never had Super Turbo.

Oh, well using a Xbox converter on a ps2 native joystick has much less lag than the X-arcade's serial adapters. I dont get it but thats how it works out.[/quote]Could I trouble you for a link to a good PS2-->Xbox converter? Since I already have the newest version of the Xarcade PS2 adapter, it could do me well to pick one of those up.

Just to be sure I understood correct: you're saying I should have better luck using Xarcade + PS2 adapter + [PS2-->Xbox converter], than I would with Xarcade + [laggy Xbox adapter]... correct?

[quote name='BustaUppa'][quote name='ChWMeiNThG']Hmmm...the ps2 one is better than the DC 3s...and the ps2 hyper street fighter is better than the SNES versions, plus SNES never had Super Turbo.

Oh, well using a Xbox converter on a ps2 native joystick has much less lag than the X-arcade's serial adapters. I dont get it but thats how it works out.[/quote]Could I trouble you for a link to a good PS2-->Xbox converter? Since I already have the newest version of the Xarcade PS2 adapter, it could do me well to pick one of those up.

Just to be sure I understood correct: you're saying I should have better luck using Xarcade + PS2 adapter + [PS2-->Xbox converter], than I would with Xarcade + [laggy Xbox adapter]... correct?[/quote]

No no, i said u want to use a PS2 native joystick, meaning ps2 direct joystick, with an X-box adapter. No more talking about the X-arcade

for all you people debating joysticks and such, me being an arcade machine freak, you should check out http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1

a forum all about arcade machines , and more relevant to this topic, how to build your own control setup. i took it one step farther than you guys using joysticks and arcade buttons on your tv, i built PS2 into an arcade cabinet using a 22 inch PC monitor and a custom made layout that is neo geo and capcom compatible. using sanwa joysticks and happs competition pushbuttons, this truely is arcade. you cant get more real. anyway check out the boards theyre great 8)

Stay away from X-Arcade at all cost, with that money you can get yourself a WAY better stick.

Got Hori Real Arcade Pro last month, by far the best stick out there.

Sanwa > American Bat Sticks

Bat vs Ball is very subjective. I learned on a ball(sanwa) but prefer a bat for overall range, even if I do still grip it high.

all this bashing of my beloved X-arcade... I am quite happy with it and I am satisfied with the way I grip my stick. I like the way I grip my stick but I have no real opinion on bats vs. balls. Right now my bat feels good in my left hand, but maybe I will start checking out balls. Let's all just chill and you can grip your stick the you want and I'll keep gripping my stick the way I... the way I... grabbing my...

whoa, never mind. I, uh, gotta go play DOA Beach Volleyball or something.

[quote name='Gojtron']Bat vs Ball is very subjective. I learned on a ball(sanwa) but prefer a bat for overall range, even if I do still grip it high.[/quote]

Do you like to grip your Bat high? How 'bout around the base with a firm, tight grip? Then squeeze as you bring it to the top. Oh baby! Maybe you should grab the Ball as you squeeze high on the Bat grip. Man, I'm excited!

Well, now that I've defended the X-Arcade, I just got Street Fighter:A, and I have had my first problem with the stick after almost 2 years.
When I go into the game, and try to select a mode by moving up and down, it scrolls like a slot machine. When I go to choose a character, same thing, it's a challenge in itself to choose the character I want. Then I go into the game, and the character moves left and right like they are having a fit.

Anybody else with this?

Other games work fine, I tried GGX2, and it works fine without a hitch. I noticed that I cannot turn off the analog (the light stays on) on the regular Dualshock 2 controller, so I guess there is no way to toggle it the normal way with the X-Arcade either....I knew I should have waited for the XBox version. :)

Ideas? Suggestions?
I already know some of your comments. =P

bread's done
Back