Street Fighter Anniversary Joystick price drop at EB $49.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

evophile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Was at EB today and saw they marked down the SF Anniversary Universal Joystick 10 bucks to $49.99

Not the best stick but good for the price and pretty easy to gut and put in pro parts. Works on xbox and ps2 also.

Mine still has the same exact sticks they've been selling for over a year now. I don't think my EB sold any of those...

[quote name='Rozz']Mine still has the same exact sticks they've been selling for over a year now. I don't think my EB sold any of those...[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah same with mine. These sticks showed up at my store from stock left over at one of the ones that shut down recently.

But yeah..I'm sure most places don't have them anymore.

Pretty nice stick, not a bad deal for $49.99 considering its both XBOX and PS2 compatible.

I tried picking one up recently but I returned it because they wanted full price and the box was all beat to shit... missing the poster too.

[quote name='TimTucker']Quite a few large item drops lately -- Steel Batallion went down to $79.99 used recently.[/QUOTE]

If there was ever a time we needed the old ebgames.com back....

[quote name='TimTucker']Quite a few large item drops lately -- Steel Batallion went down to $79.99 used recently.[/quote]

Hmmmm... I know of at least 2 EB/GS stores that have this in the box...

They hide it in plain sight. In the middle of the store are these waist high wire bins full of used dvds or the under $9.99 games. But underneath all that stuff in the bottom part of the rack/bin they have all the bulky stuff stored. I never really used to look that hard in there, but lately Ive seen Steel Batallion controllers, and SF Anniversary sticks, and that all white joystick, guitar hero, etc... all kinda good stuff in there if you know to look.

Those arcade sticks look badass.. but the stick isn't so great? I'll just wait for it to drop below $20.. I picked up 3 akuma anniversary controllers for $5 each a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Madskills1182']Yeah the stick itself is pretty bad. But it looks so good. The art is amazing on it.[/quote]

Def worth it for collecting purposes. Just keep it in the display box, cos its not worth playing with.

This stick is not that great. Do yourself a favor and get a stick that uses real arcade parts (Happ, or Sanwa...whatever floats your boat).

I've been using the stick for over a year and think it's great. How does the Happ and Sanwa parts make it better? (asking 'cuz I really wanna know if it's worth shelling out the extras $$$ if'n I'm not gonna be doing tournament level play).

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've been using the stick for over a year and think it's great. How does the Happ and Sanwa parts make it better? (asking 'cuz I really wanna know if it's worth shelling out the extras $$$ if'n I'm not gonna be doing tournament level play).[/quote]

From what I remember, one of the things that was different was the joystick positioning.

If you open up the bottom of the SF stick...the circular connection is not fully "360 rotational". Opposed to better ones, you'll notice there is a better "circular" motion.

Also, w/mine I had a problem with down-left and the buttons aren't soldered on so the wires can come loose. It's easy to fix but I'm too lazy to take mine out of the box and fix it.

I know this isn't probabbly the best explanation and hopefully other people would be willing to explain it better. I also remember there was a link on Shryouken.com about modding the SF stick and it showed the difference as well.

I herad several things about this stick when my EB had them ordered some of the buttons poped open so they were defective and EB had to send them back. Unless your gonna mod it tHats how bad they are.

A $10 drop on something that has sat on the shelves for almost a year at a ton of different EB / GS's?

How worthless... was expecting at least a $20 - $30 dollar drop.

[quote name='fatbeer']The street fighter arcade stick isn't very good.It has a look nice with street figher design,but the buttons and stick is horrible.Here a website if you want to mod it with harp or sanwan parts.

http://www.arcadestickmonk.com/SFACmod.html[/QUOTE]

I used this site to do the stick mod, and now I'm absolutely in love with this joystick. The face/top is actually made out of the exact same material as a real arcade cabinent, so it's incredibly solid and is has some weight to it, too.

[quote name='AwRy108']I used this site to do the stick mod, and now I'm absolutely in love with this joystick. The face/top is actually made out of the exact same material as a real arcade cabinent, so it's incredibly solid and is has some weight to it, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, once you mod it the stick really becomes good. I like it for the artwork and the collectability of it.

The other poster was right the not true 360 joystick. The stock joystick sticks a lot sometimes. For example Zangief's SPD miss like once every 10 times it seems...and I can do standing 720s in the arcade.

In KOF I can't to Clarks specials for the life of me with the regular stick.

But if you're not one who is hardcore or cares about that stuff, its still cheaper than customs or some of the imports..

You dont need to be an 'expert' player to notice and appreciate the difference between a cheap knockoff stick, and a real arcade stick from Happ, Sanwa, or Seimitsu.

I consider myself completely mediocre at Capcom Fighters, and games like Guilty Gear, an even I can notice the difference easily.

Cheap sticks and buttons are just that, cheap. When you depress a button, it can get stuck, and not press in evenly, or come back up correctly. A cheap stick feels sloppy and loose. It has a longer 'throw' meaning theres more motion required to input a command or move.

A real arcade part feels smooth and responsive, once you play on a quality stick, you wont want to go back to the cheap stuff, no matter what level your playing at.

Was close to buying this a while back but was turned away once I researched it and saw all the problems. A bit more appealing now with this price drop, but considering that I'd want to gut it it's probably still not low enough once the cost of new parts are factored in.

[quote name='evophile']Yeah, once you mod it the stick really becomes good. I like it for the artwork and the collectability of it.

The other poster was right the not true 360 joystick. The stock joystick sticks a lot sometimes. For example Zangief's SPD miss like once every 10 times it seems...and I can do standing 720s in the arcade.

.[/QUOTE]

See, that's really dishearting since I'm so used to the SF stick and usually play as "360" characters like Hugo, Zangief, and Darun. Oh well, looks like now is a good as time as any to look into modding.

btw: Standing 720s? That is fucking awesome! :applause:

I still can't do it without buffering.

The stick is really stiff as are the buttons. It's nice to have convex buttons and all but these are super tall, kind of like the height of the arcade concave buttons but with convex tops so they stick out extra high. Again, much like everyone said, not the best stick in the world, but it does the job especially if it's your alternative to the standard xbox controller. I used mine twice then returned it because the box was beat to hell. EB was nice enough to swap it out for a box in better condition but I bet they only did it because I asked my girlfriend to do it for me.

I know this is kind of a vague question, but how much of a pain in the ass is it to mod this thing with good parts? For an apples-to-oranges comparison, I've built my own PC so I'm not totally inept at putting stuff together, but I need to know how much woodwork and/or soldering needs to be done...that's not my bag, but my brother is good at that kind of stuff and could do it no problem as long as I give him a heads-up.

Yes, I'm aware I could just look at a tutorial. I'm after a human response here.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']See, that's really dishearting since I'm so used to the SF stick and usually play as "360" characters like Hugo, Zangief, and Darun. Oh well, looks like now is a good as time as any to look into modding.

btw: Standing 720s? That is fucking awesome! :applause:

I still can't do it without buffering.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. Yeah I love throw characters. Its funny because I used to not like them much, but my roomate in college was a master of them and after hours of watching him and hours spent in the student union I was able to learn all this stuff from him. heh.

So yeah...thats what I learned in college. 720s. For the 720 I find if you do it fast enough it will come out standing, you can kind of avoid going all the way "up" so you won't jump. Sorry, I know I explained that really crappily.

KaneRobot: No soldering or woodwork required, it all depends on how much experience you have with the tools required. It's basically a take apart and put back together job. I had no experience prior with the wire crimpers and stuff, so that was most confusing to me.

Taking it apart probably is the worst because its tedious. If you have patience and follow instructions well, its not too bad..a little tedious at times and will take a couple hours.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I know this is kind of a vague question, but how much of a pain in the ass is it to mod this thing with good parts? For an apples-to-oranges comparison, I've built my own PC so I'm not totally inept at putting stuff together, but I need to know how much woodwork and/or soldering needs to be done...that's not my bag, but my brother is good at that kind of stuff and could do it no problem as long as I give him a heads-up.

Yes, I'm aware I could just look at a tutorial. I'm after a human response here.[/QUOTE]
The mod is incredibly easy, especially the joystick part: I was able to swap out the medicore joystick with a professional HAPP stick in like 30 minutes, and, despite some of the above nay-sayers, the stick becomes a lot more responsive.

I've been playing 2D fighters since the day I paid $75 for the SNES original Street Fighter II; and, up until about 2 years ago, my college (go PSU!) had a huge arcade downtown that was filled with all the best 2D fighters, so I'm overly familiar with what a good arcade stick should feel like. If you do the posted mod to this stick, it's about the best buy you'll find on a decent arcade stick--you can always buy better arcade sticks for home use, but not for this price (after the mod). Or, if you're really in the mood, you can build your own from the ground, up--there's guides all over the Web.

This is a really good stick to learn how to mod. I bought one to just mess around with to try different sticks and buttons. I'll buy another to mod once and play with.

I think the stick is awsome the way it comes... I've never had any problems with it - works great.

I have the version that didn't come w/ the poster and featured Zangief w/ a small mohawk (on the orig stick he will have no mohawk).. I have heard the buttons are better on the one that didn't ship w/ a poster.

[quote name='Blackshear']I have heard the buttons are better on the one that didn't ship w/ a poster.[/QUOTE]

Confirmation from anyone?

[quote name='KaneRobot']Confirmation from anyone?[/QUOTE]
I have also heard that on the stick w/ no poster and with Zangief w/ a mohawk, the stick and buttons are better. Still not top notch, but better.

I disagree with people who say this stick (either version) sucks. It's certainly not something you'd want to take to tournament play or anything (well, unmodded anyways), but it really does give an arcade feel to games and for multi console compatibility and the price, it's worth it.

Actually found one today, a friend works at an EB and I called him on the way home from work not thinking they'd have one. The box wasn't in mint condition but no big deal. Anxious to mod this thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back