Stupid Amazon Buyer

thebob101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
245 (100%)
So, this idiot buys a blu ray movie from me (X Men Wolverine) that is brand new, factory sealed and I get it in the mail the same day as the purchase. I go to look at my feedback and I discover that he has left me neutral feedback because the "DVD" wouldn't play in any of his son's DVD players. I am sure that most folks will think that this is not a big deal, but I pride myself in having stellar feedback with no negatives. Since I began selling on eBay (I no longer sell on eBay because of their stupid buyer rights thing) and Amazon, I have never received neutral or negative feedback. This is the first time, I am quite upset. I just sent the buyer a pretty nasty email basically saying they were an idiot and should read the description before making a purchase.

Here is the buyer's feedback:

I ordered this movie for my son and had it shipped to him for his birthday. He got the movie quickly, however, he tried to play it in every DVD player in the house and on his computer and the DVD would not play on any of them. I did not contact the seller because I had to rush to the store and buy the movie and ship it to my son again, so he could have his present and wouldn't be disappointed.

I am so fricking pissed, this guy is a fucking douche bag.

Does anyone know if you can block buyers on Amazon. If it is possible, I would love to throw the block on this jackass.

Sorry, I had to vent about this.

Try contacting amazon. In this case since buyer obviously screwed up maybe they can remove feedback or contact him.

Also did you try contacting the buyer before bitching?

Yes, I did contact the buyer and got no response. I did leave a comment below the feedback, but that doesn't help my rating. I know a 98% is still good, but I think some of my business comes from having 100% and my quick shipping. In this case, I think I have every right to bitch because it is the buyer's fault for not reading the fucking description.

All Amazon buyers are stupid. I got a negative for not clearly labeling what my item was on the package itself. I mean, what?

can amazon help you? i would think if you listed a blu-ray, and they left neutral feedback because it wouldnt play in a dvd player, then it would be obvious to them who is in the wrong. or does amazon not deal with stuff like that?

It's almost impossible to have 100% perfect feedback. I have gotten a few neutrals or negatives over the years on EBay all of which were undeserved, like a buyer saying a brand new game didn't work without contacting me first or a neutral saying "good game." It's still worth it to me though especially for games I don't want anymore and will deal with the few annoyances to get way more than trading them into GS.

I don't sell on Amazon because of the problems there and how I hear they always take the buyers side on disputes.

Ha I gave up caring about feedback for that place.

Guy buys a hard drive from me thats clearly labeled as a sata drive for a desktop and not a laptop.... Guy messages me saying he demands a refund for me trying to thieve him of his money by not sending a hard drive... yea, the dumbass actually used the words 'im not sure what this item is you sent me or what it is for'

Needless to say I responded saying I am not a crook; never said anything after that and he never filed a claim because clearly he was a dumbass.

Was it worth the negative? Yes, because I refused to refund 65 dollars for someone elses blunder...

I am waiting to hear back from Amazon, but I don't think they will reverse it. I really feel like sending the buyer another email and really telling him he is a douche bag and biggest idiot known to mankind.

did you put in your listing

DOES NOT WORK ON NORMAL DVD PLAYERS

many people have no clue what the hell the difference is between a DVD and b. ray

i wouldnt be sending him anymore emails cause if i really didnt know the difference and some seller sends me 2 emails like you sent them I would be contacting amazon telling them to ban your account for harassment and amazon would probally side with them

simple point is dont work with the buyer (they cant do anything about the feedback) just work with amazon

well... that's the risk of selling anything no matter where you sell it.

you will always get buyers like that. I had a buyer that left me a neg for not getting the item to him/her in three days via first class.

Here is what was said by my buyer: "he havent send it yet "

The worst thing is the tracking showed delivered on the same day he left the message.

Like you, I was super pissed at the time.
I like to think that those difficult buyers will get some shit coming back to them eventually.

[quote name='slidecage']did you put in your listing

DOES NOT WORK ON NORMAL DVD PLAYERS [/QUOTE]

That's as stupid as confusing the two in the first place. He shouldn't have to do that.

[quote name='Survivalism']That's as stupid as confusing the two in the first place. He shouldn't have to do that.[/QUOTE]

That would be like asking everyone to list a 360 game as saying DOES NOT WORK ON PS3. Some people are jsut dumb I guess...

after enough time selling on ebay and amazon, you're going to get at least one dumb negative, if not several.

just keep up selling and getting feedback, otherwise your feedback rating on amazon plummets proportionally to the feedback you've received in the past year. I'm at a 92% because of a negative last July, which is when I pretty much stopped selling regularly. I've only gotten about 10 positives since then.

You really shouldn't worry about it. As one of the people who actually bothers to check feedback, a 98% isn't terribly likely to deter me from buying from you. As a general rule, I check all feedback from sellers I haven't used before (even 100% ones, sometimes the comments reveal issues.) Actually, the fact that you commented on the neutral would make me more likely to buy from you- it shows that you care enough about your buyers to keep tabs on their satisfaction.

You really have to drop below 95% positive before I really start to get leery... and you have to drop below 90% to stop me from even considering you.

Sorry to hear it - I had a similar problem a few months back. Some guy bought a copy of Suikoden V from me that I had played through on my 60gb PS3. He left a negative feedback stating the game wouldn't play and that I'm a crook. I sent him two emails, one week apart, asking him if he'd like to return it for a full refund. Several months later, I still haven't heard from him.

I checked the other day and as it turns out, he left feedback the day before he even received the game. >_

[quote name='Survivalism']That's as stupid as confusing the two in the first place. He shouldn't have to do that.[/QUOTE]

yes it is but lose one case on ebay and you want to cover all of your bases :)

Here is the email I sent him:

First of all, you ordered a BLU RAY disc, not a DVD. Blu Ray's DO NOT play in DVD players! Maybe you should try to read the description before purchasing movies, it would help. The blu ray movie was sealed and I am in no responsible for the contents if it is FACTORY SEALED! Next time, be a more responsible buyer and maybe you won't have this type of problem.

You get feedback?
I have sold 3 items through Amazon in the last couple of weeks and no one even bothered to leave me feedback. I must be doing something right/wrong.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Most buyers on Amazon dont even look at the feedback. And those who do will click on your name to see why the negative/neutral feedback was left. Upon reading your response to the feedback (as long as its not just name calling) they will see the buyer was an idiot and not care.

[quote name='musha666']I wouldnt worry too much about it. Most buyers on Amazon dont even look at the feedback. And those who do will click on your name to see why the negative/neutral feedback was left. Upon reading your response to the feedback (as long as its not just name calling) they will see the buyer was an idiot and not care.[/QUOTE]

I think this is true most of the time. Most buyers buy the cheapest product and don't consider any other factors.

But (and this might be why the OP is pissed) about 25% of Amazon buyers are really picky and they tend to buy over the minimum (pay more) because they look for an actual description, check feedback and/or try to find a seller who ships from nearby.

I've sold on Amazon for 4 years (thousands of transactions) and have been at 100% for the last 3 years. It is hard to stay at 100% but you can have 1 neg or neutral per 200 feedback (per year) and still be over 99%.

I think the OP overreacted in his email to the buyer. I always sweet talk a buyer when they leave a bad feedback (no matter how I feel personally). It does help to keep it cool and sometimes they remove the feedback.

But here is the kicker . . . I swear it is much, much easier to get someone to remove the feedback when they have actually been wronged. fucking weird.

So, I sell a game cart in rough shape but it is listed as "Acceptable" with all defects identified . . . further it is the cheapest available by a few bucks. Boom I get a neg . . . and they never respond to any email. I send a snail mail to the shipping address . . . no reply.

Second case, I sell a book as "Very Good" and describe it as "no marking." But the book has highlighting . . . ooops! I apologize for the error and offer a partial refund. Buyer immediately removes neg and says that they don't require a refund . . . "everybody makes mistakes." I submitted a refund anyway . . . didn't want to mess with my karma.

[quote name='thebob101']I am waiting to hear back from Amazon, but I don't think they will reverse it. I really feel like sending the buyer another email and really telling him he is a douche bag and biggest idiot known to mankind.[/QUOTE]

I feel you pain. Something similar happened to me once. Some moron bought a PS3 game from me, and gave me 3 star feedback saying "I like the game. But the last mission was too difficult". True Story.

Here's what I did: I contacted the buyer about 3 or 4 times, to tell him this was hurting me as a small business owner and that my family's livelihood depended on this. (Bullshit. I don't own a small business and I have a job. I'm just anal about my 100% feedback score).

I sent him a link he could use to remove the feedback himself and he did.

On another case, a disgruntled buyer who bought a ps3 game from me, wrote in the feedback section that I had offered him a PS3 console, not a game (As if that were possible in amazon) and he also wrote and I quote "I will destroy you and decimate you to ashes". I'm not making this up. Because of that last line taken off a low budget B movie, I pleaded my case with amazon saying the guy was threatening me. Amazon agreed to remove the feedback themselves.

But as a side note, you're better off selling on ebay. Ebay has a dispute system. Buyers have disputed stuff was not delivered and I have been able to prove with tracking numbers the items were delivered and ebay sided with me.

AMAZON WILL ALWAYS, NO EXCEPTIONS SIDE WITH THE BUYER. ALWAYS.

[quote name='schultzed']But here is the kicker . . . I swear it is much, much easier to get someone to remove the feedback when they have actually been wronged. fucking weird.

So, I sell a game cart in rough shape but it is listed as "Acceptable" with all defects identified . . . further it is the cheapest available by a few bucks. Boom I get a neg . . . and they never respond to any email. I send a snail mail to the shipping address . . . no reply.

Second case, I sell a book as "Very Good" and describe it as "no marking." But the book has highlighting . . . ooops! I apologize for the error and offer a partial refund. Buyer immediately removes neg and says that they don't require a refund . . . "everybody makes mistakes." I submitted a refund anyway . . . didn't want to mess with my karma.[/QUOTE]

This is because the same people who are too stupid to realize that it was their fault when purchasing an item have a tendency to be giant assholes as well.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']All Amazon buyers are stupid. I got a negative for not clearly labeling what my item was on the package itself. I mean, what?[/QUOTE]

Reading through the Amazon Seller forums, there are a decent number of sellers that like to dropship items from competitors selling at a cheaper price. This is a common excuse that they use because it makes their own sale look fishy.

It's killing two birds with one stone. First, you make a profit off of someone else's generosity, and second, you dish out a feedback blow to someone you're competing with.

[quote name='TheBigmac']AMAZON WILL ALWAYS, NO EXCEPTIONS SIDE WITH THE BUYER. ALWAYS.[/QUOTE]

This is basically true . . . but I'm over 10,000 transactions on Amazon and I have never lost a case. I have never been forced to refund a buyer.

I've had 8 A-Z claims in the last 4 years. Most of them, I referred the buyer (lost in the mail claims) and Amazon paid the buyer but didn't charge me. 2 were scammers and Amazon paid out (even though I said they shouldn't in my defense) but didn't charge me.

I've only asked Amazon once to remove a feedback once (it got personal) and they did.

I think its a great platform because it has a huge market and no listing fees.

All that said, most of my problems have come from videogame buyers (which makes up maybe 3-5% of my biz). So, if you are going to sell vgs . . . ebay may be better.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Reading through the Amazon Seller forums, [/QUOTE]

I've spent a lot of time reading these forums (learned tons and tons of useful info) I mean hours and hours over the years.

But I would be very careful believing much of the complaints posted there . . . many are malcontent sellers . . . hardly a good source of info. The best sellers are too busy to linger on this stuff.

[quote name='TheBigmac']
But as a side note, you're better off selling on ebay. Ebay has a dispute system. Buyers have disputed stuff was not delivered and I have been able to prove with tracking numbers the items were delivered and ebay sided with me.

AMAZON WILL ALWAYS, NO EXCEPTIONS SIDE WITH THE BUYER. ALWAYS.[/QUOTE]

I think you can dispute in Amazon as long as you put the tracking number on their system.

[quote name='glemtvapen']I think you can dispute in Amazon as long as you put the tracking number on their system.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is a downside . . . Amazon doesn't except DC as proof of delivery. If I sell something over $100 (which is, unfortunately, rare) I get signature confirmation. But you always get a voice in disputes. I do think that Amazon looks at the buyer's number of claims in the judgment (but they can open a new account).

I think I am closing up shop on this Amazon account and opening another account with a different email address. This is unfortunate because I was on a roll with my feedback.

I emailed the buyer and asked him to remove the feedback and even apologized for my email, but they refused. I can understand, but I don't understand how one neg and drop me to 93%. I figure that most buyers won't buy from me because they can use someone else that has higher feedback.

I should use the ole "this is hurting my small business and I have a family to take care of" which is not too far from the truth considering I am unemployed and we do use the money I make on Amazon to pay for some of our bills.

OMFG who wouldnt hold a blu-ray package in their hand and go "oh shit! this isnt a dvd!!!" i wonder if he made up the story about his son trying it in every dvd player he has or if his offspring is really that dumb.

:|

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon won't do anything about it. I was screwed in a similar way and Amazon refused to remove the feedback because *I* couldn't prove it incorrect. Yeah, no shit, the customer has the stuff. How can I prove it???

I've thought a little more about it and I think the big problem with Amazon is that they favor big sellers and don't care much about small (or new) ones. They are very distrustful (maybe with good reason) of new (or relatively new) sellers. But they are pretty fair to larger and established ones.

[quote name='thebob101']Here is the email I sent him:

First of all, you ordered a BLU RAY disc, not a DVD. Blu Ray's DO NOT play in DVD players! Maybe you should try to read the description before purchasing movies, it would help. The blu ray movie was sealed and I am in no responsible for the contents if it is FACTORY SEALED! Next time, be a more responsible buyer and maybe you won't have this type of problem.[/QUOTE]Being an asshole isn't going to get you anywhere. If you were nicer to the buyer you probably could've convinced him to remove the feedback.

[quote name='darkslime']Being an asshole isn't going to get you anywhere. If you were nicer to the buyer you probably could've convinced him to remove the feedback.[/QUOTE]

Good call.

[quote name='schultzed']Good call.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the utter rage. The buyer is an idiot; this isn't up for debate. However, if the goal was to get the negative removed then a different approach should have been taken. You either have to e-mail Amazon and get lucky or calmly explain to the dumb fucking idiot that he's wrong. The same people who are wrong about shit like this also have a massive ego so he probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere that way either.

[quote name='MikeBastard']I can understand the utter rage. The buyer is an idiot; this isn't up for debate. However, if the goal was to get the negative removed then a different approach should have been taken. You either have to e-mail Amazon and get lucky or calmly explain to the dumb fucking idiot that he's wrong. The same people who are wrong about shit like this also have a massive ego so he probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere that way either.[/QUOTE]

It's like the moron's who get shitty with the employees at the returns desk in retail stores. You know what, us employees are controlling what you can and can not do. You treat me like shit, guess what, "I'm sorry sir but I can not return that for you". You treat me like a decent human being and I can help you with that out of return policy return.

Heck what is feedback? I have sold over 200 items on Amazon and have only received 20 feedbacks all positive so it's not all bad but dang peeps leave feedback(but no negatives please) :)

[quote name='flagg1216']It's like the moron's who get shitty with the employees at the returns desk in retail stores. You know what, us employees are controlling what you can and can not do. You treat me like shit, guess what, "I'm sorry sir but I can not return that for you". You treat me like a decent human being and I can help you with that out of return policy return.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with that. It boils down to knowing what you want and knowing how to do it. I honestly can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing TC did. I have a pretty short temper when it comes to blatant bullshit and I would have shoved it in his face without realizing my behavior would be counterproductive to my main goal. I am learning that even when you're getting ripped off it's best to stay calm and work with the idiot. You shouldn't have to hold his hand along the journey that explains him the differences between DVD and BD, but if you want things to turn out a certain way you have to.

Ha ha, I get myself pretty worked up thinking about idiot customers.

[quote name='flagg1216']It's like the moron's who get shitty with the employees at the returns desk in retail stores. You know what, us employees are controlling what you can and can not do. You treat me like shit, guess what, "I'm sorry sir but I can not return that for you". You treat me like a decent human being and I can help you with that out of return policy return.[/QUOTE]Yeah, but if you are trying to get the neg removed, or trying to get the customer to do something or change the customer's mind, you can't treat him like shit even if he treats you like shit. I'm not saying its right for him to give you that negative, but if you want it removed that response certainly didn't help. If I got that response it would just piss me off more and make me not want to remove the negative. Just think about how you would react if someone sent you that email before you hit the send button...

I agree that there can be a lot of emotion involved in this.

When I deal with these types of things, I write my emails in Word and after I draft it . . . I walk away and look at it later. I've had my wife read things over. I also have a little file with past things that I've written to draw upon. Sometimes letting a day pass helps them to cool off too.

My point earlier about how people will forgive you if you're to blame but have a harder time admitting their own fault means you have to turn the whole thing around.

I would have blamed Amazon . . . something like, "I can see how the page where you ordered from isn't very clear" and "I guess you're stupid fucking son is colorblind and doesn't comprehend blue from black." OK not the last part . . . and this why I would take my time before sending.

bread's done
Back