Stupid DS questions (Stupid F/U question in post #10)

pob14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
#1 daughter wants a DS for Christmas. #2 daughter will want to play too. Leading then to the following questions:

1) If I get two, they can play together, right? (Assuming the game supports it)

2) Are there many games that support 2-player? (Especially kids' games)

3) For the games that do, do I need to buy two copies of the game or just one?

4) In general, is the DS a good choice for a nine-year-old? Our main system is a PS3, but it doesn't have a whole lot of kids games; if it were just me, I'd get a PSP, but I think there's even fewer kids' games for that.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Yes.
2) Not sure about kids' games specifically, but generally yes.
3) That depends on the games.
4) I think the DS is a pretty good choice for a child.

Yes, the DS supports wireless multi-player, both locally and over the internet.

A considerable number of games have multi-player modes and quite a few of them only require a single copy of the game.

Yes, there tends to be much more titles geared for kids on the DS. The PSP targets an older demographic. Also, there are a lot of 'edutainment' titles, which are pretty scarce on the PSP.

There are a number of good games that feature solid one-player play for the older daughter and fun single-cart multiplayer minigames for them to play together. New Super Mario Brothers comes to mind.

New Super Mario Bros is by far the best "multiplayer" game I have seen for the DS. It's like getting Mario Party for free!

And you only need 1 cart!

One would have to search for games that are Single-Pak DS Games, which would allow only one cart/game for multiplayer use, called DS Download.

the other is Single/Multi-Pak DS Games, which would require each DS to have a cart.

tried googling... not very good listings out there.

We (Cag) could come up with a list for research... would be nice to know.

my 4 year old and 6 year old girls love the princess peach DS game and most games that are our for the DS. i notice maybe due to the touch screen that they do better with the hand held vs the consoles

[quote name='Zing']New Super Mario Bros is by far the best "multiplayer" game I have seen for the DS. It's like getting Mario Party for free!

And you only need 1 cart![/QUOTE]

Did you mean to say "Mario Party DS is by far the best..."? Anyway, Mario Party DS is the best download play (only one copy needed) game for the DS. You can play the entire game with up to 4 players, not just mini-games, with only one copy of the game needed, and it works fantastically well. Plus it's a very good Mario Party game. I think it's a must-have.

Now that it's been reprinted, you must pick up Clubhouse Games. Only 1 cart needed and it's perfect for younger kids. Well, worth the $20 MSRP.

Thanks everybody.

Follow-up question: how durable is the DS? Will they bust the touchscreen in a week with their youthful exuberance? :)

I've stepped on mine thrown it around the room and falling short from taking a high heel to the screen they hold up very well.I have 4 girls ages 1 1/2 , 3 , 4, and 6 the 2 older ones have DS and share with there younger 2 sisters after a year of use only smudge marks and cookie crumbs and minor knicks are on both systems. When I had my console repair shop open i only had maybe one broken DS screen out of 50 compared to the 25 out of 75 crakced screen PSP's which that system. In short yes it will last and yes you don't have to worry about them breaking it if they drop it or throw it in there backpack.

[quote name='pob14']Thanks everybody.

Follow-up question: how durable is the DS? Will they bust the touchscreen in a week with their youthful exuberance? :)[/quote]the screen no but maybe if drop several times the edge hinge may break.

The screen holds up pretty well but you might want to get a Hori screen protector (or any brand but Hori is the best IMO). The thing you should most worry about is the hinges on the DS. You can buy Nerf Armor which does a good job of protecting the DS but it makes it feel really bulky. I bought the Armor for my 5-year old's DS but ended up taking it off after he disliked it.

definitely get a good screen protector. My 9 yr old nephew scratched the hell out of the touchscreen on his first DS.

On the topic of single cart games, I'd just like to recommend Space Invaders Extreme. It's a great game, great experience (with the music and colours), and the online/Single-cart multiplayer is pretty fun too. Simply a great game for $20.

i had my rt courner and hinge snap completely off, not sure who did it as there were lots of children playing with it when it broke, but i superglued it and it still works the rt trigger button sticks a bit so i picked up a new one for me and let my daughter (1.5 yrs) play around on the old one.

Knew some guy who kept cramming it into his pocket and found a way to push in the plastic power switch so it wouldn't turn on anymore. Had to take it apart to pop out the plastic, but how did he push it in when there is no extra space inside.

bread's done
Back