Stupid game store employees?

hec204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I reserved two games yesterday from gamestop
I just found out by looking at my reciept that they guy got my name and phone number completely wrong, even after I spelled out my name for him twice and told him my phone number precisely and slowly. The guy also typed at the speed of 5 words per minute(not kidding). He also asked me if I wanted to reserve MGS:The essential collection on xbox 360. Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to drive down there? Anyone else have experiences like this, seriously who hires these idiots?!?

in my opinion 90% of Gamestop/EB employees Think that they know everything about games, and have a 8th grade equivalant education.

[quote name='Sinnbox']in my opinion 90% of Gamestop/EB employees Think that they know everything about games, and have a 8th grade equivalant education.[/quote]
Well this guy was pretty old, had gray hair, at least at his 40's...
Looked more like a technologically impaired person to me.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Yep. Unless the title was intentional.[/QUOTE]

First thing I noticed about the title too

Come on, give those people a break, just bring the receipt on the day(s) of release. If you come think of it, no one with any skills/talents would want to work at retail, let alone Gamestop (which is possibly one of the worst jobs to get besides fast foods). I used to work at doctor's office (thank god I don't right now), which was bad enough to put up with, game stores are completely at different level.

Yes I can't spell. I'm too stupid to work at gamestop now:(
I didn't notice that until now. If I give them a call will they be able to fix it? The reason why I don't want to go down there on the "release date" is because sometimes gamestop doesn't have it until the next day, so I rather have them call me when it is ready.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just go the store on the day of release and show them the receipt.[/QUOTE]

That's the last thing you want to do. Take care of this as soon as possible.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']That's the last thing you want to do. Take care of this as soon as possible.[/quote]

What exactly is the big problem you're seeing here? When he goes into the store and asks for the game, they will ask if he pre-ordered it. He has a receipt with a pre-order on it. End of story. They give him the game, minus whatever he already paid. You can go into the store with a receipt that says "Buck Futter" on it. It doesn't really matter one way or the either. The only minor issue is that, if the phone number is wrong, you won't get that automated message the night before that your game is coming in. In 2008, that doesn't really matter much, either, considering the release date is plastered all over the internet. Plus, if you're into the game so much that you have it pre-ordered, you probably already know when it will be released and will also keep up on any delays.

Is it stupid that the guy couldn't handle the simple process of taking down a name and number? Obviously. But it's not a huge issue. If it makes you feel better, take care of it, but it won't affect anything. I have picked up games pre-ordered under other people's names before.

[quote name='Sinnbox']in my opinion 90% of Gamestop/EB employees Think that they know everything about games, and have a 8th grade equivalant education.[/quote]

And i hate jackass's like you too, who make comments like that. If your store sucks.. get their corp number and let them know whats going on... They do fix it and the company takes it very seriously....

[quote name='hec204']Well this guy was pretty old, had gray hair, at least at his 40's...
Looked more like a technologically impaired person to me.[/quote]

If he's that old, then he's either some unfortunate guy in need of a job or an ex-con.;)

Personally, I'd go back and have it fixed just because I don't want to chance being the victim of someone else's ignorance.

[quote name='Rollett']And i hate jackass's like you too, who make comments like that. If your store sucks.. get their corp number and let them know whats going on... They do fix it and the company takes it very seriously....[/quote]

I'm just talking from experience, Around here there is one knowlegeable person on staff, the rest are hot chicks that have no idea what is going on only there beacuse they are hot. Or extremely nerdy/overweight guys that seem to think that anything classic is crap. There was one EB here that had a great staff, and had a nice selection of classic games that the manager managed to get the OK to sell/trade. He moved and the manager from one of the other local sotres came over and the store went to crap. I go to Gamecrazy, or disk replay now, the workers at gamecrazy are total gamer freaks, that are extremely knowledable about current and old school gamess, and even have a small stash of classic stuff in the back that they will bring out if you ask. I go to disk replay because they have a awsome collection of classic games eventhough the workers know next to nothing about games, they are friendly and admit that they know nothign about games.

Yeah, My store.. personaly i would like to think is awsome... Im sure there is some people we tick off.. but its normaly the dumbarse coming in to get mad at us for not having Halo 3 on the PS3....

[quote name='Rollett']Yeah, My store.. personaly i would like to think is awsome... Im sure there is some people we tick off.. but its normaly the dumbarse coming in to get mad at us for not having Halo 3 on the PS3....[/quote]

I know that when i lived in Kansas The EB's were so much nicer, knowledgeable, ect... They were around here also untill the Babages guys got mixed in, I'm not gonna start on that though.....

A lot of GS employees do stink on ice, but it's like any other retail store. There really aren't many retail stores that you walk into and find yourself greeted by superior service. At the very least, some GS employees do actually know something about video games, unlike going into a TRU or Target and having the employee stare at you when you inquire about the availability of a gaming-related item.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I know that when i lived in Kansas The EB's were so much nicer, knowledgeable, ect... They were around here also untill the Babages guys got mixed in, I'm not gonna start on that though.....[/quote]

also many of the workers around here would actualy look for Halo 3 on PS3. I saw one of the girls that worked here localy check the computer fro Mario sunshine for PS2....

Thats sad Sinnbox :( Even for the guy who made this topic i would say call the corp office.. its a BIG deal to the store.. and can actualy get your whole staffing changed :p I know you should'nt HAVE to call... But its defently a way to fix the problem.. and they will probably never know if no one calls...

[quote name='Rollett']Thats sad Sinnbox :( Even for the guy who made this topic i would say call the corp office.. its a BIG deal to the store.. and can actualy get your whole staffing changed :p I know you should'nt HAVE to call... But its defently a way to fix the problem.. and they will probably never know if no one calls...[/quote]

I may do that, but i woud feel like a huge jerk. I have enough other alternatives to shop at that i usualy only go to EB for preorders that have sweet bonuses.....but half the time they don't give out the bonuses.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What exactly is the big problem you're seeing here? When he goes into the store and asks for the game, they will ask if he pre-ordered it. He has a receipt with a pre-order on it. End of story. They give him the game, minus whatever he already paid. You can go into the store with a receipt that says "Buck Futter" on it. It doesn't really matter one way or the either. The only minor issue is that, if the phone number is wrong, you won't get that automated message the night before that your game is coming in. In 2008, that doesn't really matter much, either, considering the release date is plastered all over the internet. Plus, if you're into the game so much that you have it pre-ordered, you probably already know when it will be released and will also keep up on any delays.

Is it stupid that the guy couldn't handle the simple process of taking down a name and number? Obviously. But it's not a huge issue. If it makes you feel better, take care of it, but it won't affect anything. I have picked up games pre-ordered under other people's names before.[/QUOTE]

Well, they're supposed to ask for ID.

gamestop employees for the most part = FAIL. I try to avoid gs, i only go there for pre-order bonuses or hard to find used games. Other than that almost everywhere else is a better choice.

[quote name='Rollett']If i could have solid proof i would turn them in my self Sinn.. because they piss me off :)[/quote]

Ya, I know what you mean the bad ones make the good one get a bad name, I wish your store was around me!!

[quote name='KSHLove']gamestop employees for the most part = FAIL. I try to avoid gs, i only go there for pre-order bonuses or hard to find used games. Other than that almost everywhere else is a better choice.[/quote]
I was going to reserve at gamecrazy but I found out that they are closing it down... So I had no choice but gamestop, and I don't want to waste $5 gas to drive to the other gamecrazy, as for reservations at gamestop, I've never been happy, they never get the game on time, When it's the release date they usually don't have it till the next day, A while back I had reserved MGS3 at gamestop and they didn't have it until 2 days later, I went to gamecrazy on the same day and they had about 50 copies left... At least that's the case here locally, I don't know about other areas. I'll give them a call tomorrow, I just hope that they actually have the game on time this time and I don't have to go canceling reservations again. I just think that they should be more careful about picking out employees, at gamecrazy there always is knowledgeable people, but then again it's a minimum wage job... So I shouldn't expect to see smart people there, they're all at their big corporal jobs. But they should train them better to know what they are actually selling.

"Then crazy learner's permit girl gave me a ride to Babbage's"
WHAT??? THey ain't got no turbographix games??!?

[quote name='Gden']"Then crazy learner's permit girl gave me a ride to Babbage's"
WHAT??? THey ain't got no turbographix games??!?[/quote]

Wow what are you smokin in your apartment?

I don't know why everyone has a beef with bad customer services (aka bad employees), it's everywhere and face it, if GS has choices of whom to hire, don't you think they will hire the best people? FYI, the wages of the hourly employees are among the worst (near min wage level), and turnovers are incredible there.

I personally don't shop at GS not just for their unethical practices, but also how employees are treated (you can be reprimanded or fired for a trivial reason), consequently only losers will work there in most cases, now understand the logic?

Losers work at all retail whether its BB, GS, Wal-Mart, etc etc. No one helps you, everyone knows nothing, they ignore you, they can't find your item, etc etc. The best stores are the stores you can walk in, find your item, and buy it without anyone asking you anything. Self-checkout FTMFW.

[quote name='Rollett']And i hate jackass's like you too, who make comments like that. If your store sucks.. get their corp number and let them know whats going on... They do fix it and the company takes it very seriously....[/quote]

You do realize that this isn't going to fix anything, right? Complaining to corporate about a guy taking down your name wrong isn't going to mean anything to them.
They don't fire for incompetence. Trust me. I really wish they would, because I've got some good guys at my store who I'd love to promote, if only they'd fire the dumbasses at all the other stores.

[quote name='Scorch']There's stupid and lazy game store employees wherever you go.[/QUOTE]

Much like there are stupid customers wherever you go. Its a vicious cycle that repeats itself to no end.

Retail employee = "Man that last customer was ssooooo dumb! I can't believe that customer demanded me to look up for 50 bazillion games in the system most of which we don't have if they couldn't notice."

Customer = "Wow that guy was ssssooooo dumb! He was just too lazy to walk into the back to get those five games I know they have hiding back there for me."

Repeat ad nauseam.

Please note that I'm not saying that ALL employees and/or customers are dumb. I'm just saying that stupidity can lie on either side.

[quote name='Sinnbox']in my opinion 90% of Gamestop/EB employees Think that they know everything about games, and have a 8th grade equivalant education.[/QUOTE]

in my opinion 99% of forum monkeys think they know everything about games, and have the equivalent of a 6th grade education.

cmon, when will you people realize that people in any retail job are going to be YMMV. sometimes their dumb as mayonaise and sometimes you get someone great that actually knows what there talking about, be it a new FPS or a new dishwasher. so get off your hardcore gamer high horse and quit bitching about it.

same here the gs here get their games a day late while places like CC already have them in stock. Btw, anyone know if gs employees get commission off of selling pre-orders? Some gs employees almost always ask if I want to reserve a game, they always tell me they're going to sell out. But of course that's not always the case.

[quote name='hec204']I was going to reserve at gamecrazy but I found out that they are closing it down... So I had no choice but gamestop, and I don't want to waste $5 gas to drive to the other gamecrazy, as for reservations at gamestop, I've never been happy, they never get the game on time, When it's the release date they usually don't have it till the next day, A while back I had reserved MGS3 at gamestop and they didn't have it until 2 days later, I went to gamecrazy on the same day and they had about 50 copies left... At least that's the case here locally, I don't know about other areas. I'll give them a call tomorrow, I just hope that they actually have the game on time this time and I don't have to go canceling reservations again. I just think that they should be more careful about picking out employees, at gamecrazy there always is knowledgeable people, but then again it's a minimum wage job... So I shouldn't expect to see smart people there, they're all at their big corporal jobs. But they should train them better to know what they are actually selling.[/quote]

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']in my opinion 99% of forum monkeys think they know everything about games, and have the equivalent of a 6th grade education.

cmon, when will you people realize that people in any retail job are going to be YMMV. sometimes their dumb as mayonaise and sometimes you get someone great that actually knows what there talking about, be it a new FPS or a new dishwasher. so get off your hardcore gamer high horse and quit bitching about it.[/quote]

True, but EB gets tons of Apps from HS geeks that actualy know alot about games, but they like to hire chicks that seem to think that Halo 3 is on Gameboy color. Maybe that is just the manager around here, but when you walk into a EB and get greeted by some hooters looking chick, you start to wonder if the manager made the right choice in the hiring process.

[quote name='Sinnbox']True, but EB gets tons of Apps from HS geeks that actualy know alot about games, but they like to hire chicks that seem to think that Halo 3 is on Gameboy color. Maybe that is just the manager around here, but when you walk into a EB and get greeted by some hooters looking chick, you start to wonder if the manager made the right choice in the hiring process.[/quote]

Answer= He Did!!!!:lol:

[quote name='hec204']I reserved two games yesterday from gamestop
I just found out by looking at my reciept that they guy got my name and phone number completely wrong, even after I spelled out my name for him twice and told him my phone number precisely and slowly. The guy also typed at the speed of 5 words per minute(not kidding). He also asked me if I wanted to reserve MGS:The essential collection on xbox 360. Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to drive down there? Anyone else have experiences like this, seriously who hires these idiots?!?[/quote]
Wow, unbelievable, the same thing happened to me back in Jan. when I pre-ordered NGDS. It was a young black guy trainee and he had absolutely no idea what he was doing, he had to have someone else help him almost all the way through. The incompetent moron had to ask me to repeat my phone number 3 times while he struggled to complete the pre-order transaction. And he still managed to get my phone number wrong on my receipt! But, I was able to notice it as I was about to get in my car. After I went back, he said he corrected my number in the system and didn't even give me a corrected receipt. So just make sure to hang onto your receipt and hopefully there shouldn't be a problem. Get there as soon as you can when the game is released, and you should be able to get the game and the bonus without any trouble, since there is no real order when it comes to people with pre-orders, it's first-come first-serve. And if they do make a fuss about your name and number, just explain to them what happened.

Well here's the update, I went in a few days before the release to fix my phone number and name, it was another guy, new guy he didn't know what to do and he had to ask his co-workers, there was only 1 letter in my name that was wrong, and yet he had to ask me THREE time what my last name was, and then he finally asked me for my correct phone number.

When I went to get the games on the release date, it turns out this new guy got my phone number wrong AGAIN, the girl told me that one of my reserved games wouldn't be released until June 12th. I immediately saw what happened, the first guy reserved MGS4 instead of MGS:essential collection, even after I told him what system it was for ,how much it was supposed to cost, and he even told me the day it would be released(march 18th), but fortunately they actually had 1 more copy of the game left so the lady fixed it for me and apologized for all the trouble, I said no problem because I didn't want to sound like an asshole and it obviously wasn't her fault.

There you have it my terribly annoying experience with GS.

there are bad employees anywhere you go. having worked retail myself, in their defense it is hard to care about a job that pays under $10 per hour when you have a lot of idiot customers. i am not saying all customers are idiots, but you get a lot of the "show me where this is and give me a suggestion on what MY child would like." i am sorry, but if the parent doesn't know what the child would like, why should the employee be forced to know or they "aren't doing their job."

as for gamestore employees, it is hard to keep track of every single game that is coming out and know about all of them. now i expect a little more out of them then only knowing about the really big title such as madden, halo, etc. that is coming out and nothing else, but corporate also forces them to push titles like those and try to shove reserves and magazine subscriptions down your throat or they are fired.

again, there are plenty of stupid retail employees, but with stupid customers and low, why do you expect so much out of them and look down on them? 3/4 of the people on this board could not work 1 month in retail, especially during the holidays when all the last minute jerks come in wondering why the store has no nintendo wii's and is demanding that they are hiding them in the back.

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']there are bad employees anywhere you go. having worked retail myself, in their defense it is hard to care about a job that pays under $10 per hour when you have a lot of idiot customers. i am not saying all customers are idiots, but you get a lot of the "show me where this is and give me a suggestion on what MY child would like." i am sorry, but if the parent doesn't know what the child would like, why should the employee be forced to know or they "aren't doing their job."[/QUOTE]

Because...it's your job. If I went into a hardware store and asked for advice and the guy just stared at me it would be unacceptable. But I guess somehow being a game store employee you don't have to know anything about games, huh? And if you don't care then quit. Maybe you'll be replaced by someone who does.

bread's done
Back