Stupid Gamecube question

dtcarson

CAGiversary!
Hi,
I don't have a GameCube. But I have a weird question--
When I see posts talking about it, I sometimes see people abbreviate it as 'GCN'. What does that mean? If it were NGC I could see it, NintendoGameCube, but I don't get the N at the end.

It stands for GameCube Nintendo. The way I heard the story, it is called the GC in Japan, but Nintendo of America wanted to be sure that everybody knew they were behind it for company recognition purposes, so they tacked their name onto the end of the offical acronym. Why they didn't do the logical thing and put it in front as the NGC is beyond me. Nintendo makes a lot of silly decisions. That's why we love em :)

-Matt

ohhhhhhh man daytripp, i have a sudden strong impulse to completely STEAL your avatar.

i'm simply ga-ga for pirates of the caribbean, especially johnny depp. that look is the absolute best.
*sighs dreamily*

i never got GCN, i never use it anymore. just GC. nintendo's stupid. and they should call xbox XB because thats the proper abbreviation.

Actually, I thought the reason they didnt use NGC is because people could confuse it with a Neo-Geo product. NGC = NeoGeo Color or something like that. Wasn't their handheld called the NeoGeo Pocket Color (NGPC)?

the "x" in xbox refers to direct x, which is what the system runs on.

I don't know why it goes by GCN, but technically its not GBA, its actually AGB. Maybe its just something easy for the main office.

the "x" in Xbox referrs to the metric tons it weights, the "box" referrs to the paperweight shape. so in lamen terms Xbox can be defined as "gigantic heavy paperweight"

Actually, I believe the "GCN" is in reference to the model code of the product, much like the Game Boy Advance is referred to "AGB" (obvious), the Game Boy Color is referred to as "CGB" (also obvious), and the original Game Boy is referred to as DMG (Dot Matrix Game). These are the codes used when a model type is reference in a product code, so typically that is why they would expand to other forums.

I am not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but I believe that it is.

Weird ass nintendo with their weird-ass names. They started as a flower-trading-card company.

Nintendo still makes cards today. You can find Nintendo playing cards in virtually any Japanese convenience store.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']Nintendo abbreviates the GameCube with DOL, not NGC or GCN.[/quote]

Took me a second to think that one through. DOL for Dolphin, its pre-release codename.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']Nintendo abbreviates the GameCube with DOL, not NGC or GCN.[/quote]

Right, right. Forgot about that. Good call. :)

bread's done
Back