Subletter question for those in the know

varsitygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So this summer, since I graduated in May, I decided to rent a place in New Haven. The apt I'm renting in the city is a small studio apartment, nothing special, and I'm paying 530$/month. Originally I had intended to stay through August. However, here's the rub.

My girlfriend has been staying with me, (the person renting me the place understood that) and maintenance people have been frequently trying to walk in without knocking (only once succeeding, she keeps the door locked). Additionally, there is construction literally behind our building that begins every day at 6am. We weren't informed prior to moving in. There were a lot of other small annoyances which we were pretty prepared to deal with until we caught a huge ass cockroach crawling across the wall the other day. It is an uncomfortable and unsanitary living situation, and (whether or not the place is safe) it's important that my girlfriend feels safe. And me too, i guess.

So my question is... I didn't sign anything. I gave the guy a check for 795$, the first month and a half month security deposit. I told him on the 20th that we want out, and that he is welcome to keep the security deposit (since im sure he would anyway), but he is insisting it is not enough notice and he will not be able to fill the vacancy and that I should pay him for the whole month of July. I don't think i need to, considering I'm already giving him a half month's rent, and 10 days notice.

Am I in a situation where I could mail him his keys and move out on the 30th and just not pay for July, even if he insists I do? Like i said, i never signed anything, so I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. We can't reasonably be expected to continue to live there (and my girlfriend speculates the exact reason he was subletting was the incessant construction slated for the entire summer). Input?

I think technically your landlord is right since if there is no lease, then it's a tenant-at-will by default which requires 30 days notice. It may be dependent from state to state so it may be different in Conn.

I don't have any advice to offer really (except to say that if you didn't sign anything I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't be free and clear), but here's a free bump as I have a friend in a similar situation and I'd like to see everyone else's input.

bump. javeryh?

i'm just wondering what legal obligations i have if there was only a loose verbal agreement, and he failed to divulge certain information about the living conditions. i'm supposed to talk to him today so any guidance is appreciated.

Agree with Graystone.

Legally it varies state-to-state (you may want to check your state's Tenant-Landlord Act), but without a lease just move on. Normal notice is 30 days, but in your case just make sure the place is in the same condition as when you moved in and then when he keeps your security deposit there shouldn't be a problem. It would be the same as paying an extra month and gettting the deposit back.

I think too the whole busting in without notice would be grounds for leaving, as it creates an uninhabitable living condition. The construction your "landlord" would just say he wasn't aware of at the time of sublet. You didn't sign, so go.

bread's done
Back