Suggest a Router for me!!

bigsyxxy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just got a PS3 and am looking to hook it up to the internet via a router. I have an HP desktop running cable broadband via a Comcast RCA box. I am looking to hook up my PS3, 360 and Directv. Can anyone please suggest what router would be best?? Thanks.

I would suggest a linksys... netgear routers crapped out on me after about a year, my linksys is almost 2 years old and is still running fine.

get the d link extreme router..very high ratings...or any d link..netgear went bad on me too...linksys router just looks weird in my opinion

I use a Buffalo router and it works great. I currently use it for my Wii, Xbox 360 and laptop and I get a great connection.

Linksys WRT54GL is the way to go as it's only $50 after MIR from newegg. This particular model allows you to install 3rd party firmware to add more functionalities typically found in more expansive, enterprise level routers.

WRT54GL is just a linux based version of WRT54G with a bigger flash memory. With the current deal, you might as well get the WRT54GL for roughly the same price as the WRT54G.

As someone already mentioned, you shouldn't have connected your computer directly to the cable modem. A router will shield your computer from the internet with its stateful firewall.

In my experience with routers any "speed boosting" technology makes any video streaming to the 360, for example, quite choppy. I think what this does is send larger "packets" and this slows down streaming. If you plan on doing this I would avoid such a feature or at least turn it off.
I use an old Microsoft router (it was free) and I have never had a problem.

[quote name='Drnick']WRT54GL is the best router you can get in the home market (in my opinion)

the PS3 doesn't use wireless N technology, so buying one of those is a waste of money

Newegg.com has it for 60 bucks plus a 10 dollar mail in rebate, and free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190[/quote]

have to agree the Linksys WRT54G is a workhorse
they have great support and EASY one button firmware updates if available

[quote name='speedracer']No brainer:

Airlink AR430W Wireless Router - 108mbps - DD-WRT Compatible - $19.99 OTD - Fry's B&M
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/811127/

$20, no rebate, DD WRT. Nothing anywhere near as good out there for even 3x the money.[/quote]

That's a great router for a great price, but installing dd-wrt on it is definitely not a "no-brainer". I feel like I should have got some achievement points for getting that done.

[quote name='Samstag']That's a great router for a great price, but installing dd-wrt on it is definitely not a "no-brainer". I feel like I should have got some achievement points for getting that done.[/QUOTE]
You're right, and if the OP is going with this router solely for DDWRT capability (which should be a deciding factor in my humble opinion), OP should be aware that installing DDWRT on this sucker is not as easy as some of the others.

No brainer for the deal at that price point, definitely need to engage grey matter to get DD WRT on it. Course, that's where the fun is IMO.. :D

yeah linksys WRT54G w/ DDWRT is definatly the way to go. You get the most out of your router at a really low cost.

My linksys recently broke(after 3years of running strong) so I am using a cisco 871w. Its a soho router which has a few more features but it obviously doesn't have UPNP since its "unsafe". So xboxlive has a few hickups here in there.

I do not recommend Belkin. Damn you, CNet! :bomb:

From experience, I recommend Linksys or D-Link, but primarily Linksys.

[quote name='chasemurata']I do not recommend Belkin. Damn you, CNet! :bomb:

From experience, I recommend Linksys or D-Link, but primarily Linksys.[/QUOTE]

i like my belkin

I would also recommend the WRT54GL from Newegg or Buy.com. You can unlock some great features if you use a 3rd-party firmware like DD-WRT or tomato.

I would recommend a D-Link Extreme router too. I have the DGL-4500 and I play a lot of COD4 and GoW. It has a ton of features and it's great when I put it on 5ghz reciever rather than 2.4. It never interferes with anything. Having the OLED is pretty sweet too so I can instantly see what's going on without using my pc to check the status. Also use it when me and my friends have LAN tournaments and I have yet to have a problem with it.

Only downside is how much it is. If you can wait though, I would recommend the GDR-855 (I believe thats the correct one) that has dual-band and can use 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time.

bread's done
Back