Suggestions for a cheap car that's fun to drive

vietgurl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Okay, so this is similar to another topic on this board but it's a different question and I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread so....okay, anyway...

I'm looking for a car that's fun to drive. My friend and I are willing to work on it but we don't want a complete project car (we also want something that's semi-practical to drive around). Both of us are trying to save up money but with our current budget, I'm guessing we'll be able to save up only about $2k for the car and a little more for necessary repairs (cosmetic stuff will be be later). Unfortunately, we don't have enough money to do an extensive project like my other friend's datsun 240z... Since we want to be able to drive this car a lot and we dont' have that much money, I was looking at...maybe a 2nd gen RX7? Any other suggestions?

haha, at this rate, I can kiss college goodbye. Oh well!

Honda Del Sol. Two seater, great gas mileage, , removable hard top, large trunk, incredibly reliable, handles great, and even though most ones you will find are mid 90's, in good condition people will think its a newer Honda...

1986 toyota corolla sr5 5 speed manual
if you can find one in decent shape it's real good. you can fix it up a little and it's a great car. i would get one if i could find one. that car is pretty rare now.

Get a Tracker, small, maneuverable, great gas mileage. I hated mine when I had it, but I wish I had it back.

personal fan of projects would be bmw 3 series... but they can be pricey.

240, celica, eclipse, civic, prelude, teggy

the rx7 will probably be extremely unreliable

[quote name='Roufuss']Don't you already have a car?[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn she had some Corolla S or something...

yes, I do have a car. i'm gonna use my current car as a daily driver...since it IS a corolla...and my friend and i are gonna "split" another car. this seemed like a better solution than doing a tranny swap and converting my corolla (it's a corolla! i mean...come on, haha) into a manual. with that money, i might as well put it towards another car and just use the corolla to drive to work and stuff. yeah, i was also looking at the AE86...right now, i've only come up with that or an RX7 (2nd gen since the 3rd gens are so expensive). we're willing to put work into it but we dont' want to have to completely rebuild/restore it...

Mazda Miata? I wouldn't suggest an RX-7 unless you know much about rotary engines, know someone who does, or know somewhere that will fix it for fairly cheap.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Driving shouldn't be "fun". If it's fun, then you're breaking the law.[/quote]

:roll: You just have no idea what it means to "drive" then. Driving is not just going from point A to B, it's the experience of getting there. Not to mention, something being "fun" does not equal breaking the law.

Edit: To the OP. I'd recommend an Integra as well. I drive a TL and love it.

Oh, I have to suggest one of my favorite all-time cars: 90-96 Nissan 300ZX. Even without the twin turbos you can still have some fun.

fred_wilma_baby_car.jpg

[quote name='mtxbass1']:roll: You just have no idea what it means to "drive" then. Driving is not just going from point A to B, it's the experience of getting there. Not to mention, something being "fun" does not equal breaking the law.

Edit: To the OP. I'd recommend an Integra as well. I drive a TL and love it.[/QUOTE]

You must be the one that isn't driving, because it sucks. There truly is nothing "fun" about it unless you're racing or off-roading, but as for day to day on the road driving... no. Unless you consider traffic, red lights, old people, tailgaters, overly cautious drivers, and police fun, driving can suck a big one.

That being said, I recommend a Hyundai Sonata.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Driving shouldn't be "fun". If it's fun, then you're breaking the law.[/QUOTE]

QFT & FTW lets lock her up people, night.

No whats fun to you may not be to me. I think fun is taking a Ferrari around a race track (never done it though) Doing power slides, and 180's in my cousins car is fun (drunken night don't ask)

[quote name='Graystone']QFT & FTW lets lock her up people, night.

No whats fun to you may not be to me. I think fun is taking a Ferrari around a race track (never done it though) Doing power slides, and 180's in my cousins car is fun (drunken night don't ask)[/quote]Yes, all that is fun. But neither you, me, nor anyone else on these forums has a Ferrari (not even CheapyD, and he's loaded!). Those things can be fun, but what is fun about your daily drive to work, or all the retarded drivers on the road who would rather talk on their cellphones or read the newspaper instead of drive?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']You must be the one that isn't driving, because it sucks. There truly is nothing "fun" about it unless you're racing or off-roading, but as for day to day on the road driving... no. Unless you consider traffic, red lights, old people, tailgaters, overly cautious drivers, and police fun, driving can suck a big one.

That being said, I recommend a Hyundai Sonata.[/quote]

There is a difference between driving to get somewhere (sitting in traffic, etc) and truely driving.

You've never taken a joyride before? Never driven through some place that is purely awe-inspiring, or just plain fun?

I agree that day to day driving sucks. Seriously. It does. However, going for a joyride, or stepping behind the wheel and travelling to someplace new or different, or to see some sight you've never seen is infact "fun". That is driving to me. Not sitting in traffic. Not listening to some idiots stereo three cars back. You don't need a fast car or a racetrack to have fun driving.

thank you dude2003! i emailed those people.

i'm looking into all the other cars...except the hyundai sonata, haha. no offense or anything...

i guess i'm looking for another car that i'd enjoy taking to the track more. my corolla's great for the non-fun part of driving (sitting in hours of traffic everyday, etc.) but....i dunno....it's not enough?

i know i loved driving my 69 chevy...before the gas prices skyrocketed:cry:

a 25 gallon tank at around $3 per gallon is not fun...i had to use Super since i had rebuilt the engine using performance parts back when super was $1.50 or so and anything less made it run like crap....sigh

I drive a second gen (93-97) Ford Probe. It gets great gas mileage (27-30 mpg) and it handles great. The back seat isn't that roomy, but the seats fold down and the trunk is pretty spacious. Make sure you get a manual as the auto trannies are garbage and never last long.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, all that is fun. But neither you, me, nor anyone else on these forums has a Ferrari (not even CheapyD, and he's loaded!). Those things can be fun, but what is fun about your daily drive to work, or all the retarded drivers on the road who would rather talk on their cellphones or read the newspaper instead of drive?[/QUOTE]

Our family friends own the Ferrari dealer here, that's close enough :p

bread's done
Back