Suggestions for PSP Games for someone new to the system

Zazoo

CAGiversary!
I completely skipped the PSP generation so I never payed much attention what games were out for the system. I recently picked up a brand new god of war edition PSP at a yard sale so I'm excited to dive into some of the games.

I just really don't know were to start the way i typically find games is by browsing retail stores. I like to be able to look at the box read the back cover etc. Trying to browse the numerous games the PSP had online just makes my eyes glaze over, just a little over whelming.

Typically I like RPGs, some platformers and I'm also looking for some games that are easy to pick up and put down. Since my business took off I haven't had very much time at all for console gaming and I'm finding myself playing much more handheld games since I can have them on the go.

What I don't like are sports, fps, most racing (except burnout since I'm an expert at crashing =D) I'm not a huge fan of action but I'm willing to give most of them a shot.

I picked up a few games on ebay and then with the Half price books Memorial day 20% of sale I've picked up several more.
Here is what I currently have:
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy II Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Ratchet & Clank Size Matter
Luxor The Wrath of Set
LocoRoco 1
Loco Roco 2

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edit: a 2gb memory card came with the system will that be enough? or should I buy a bigger card.
Also any suggestions for a good case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Psp Rpg games are the ones that really stand out for me.

Final fantasy crisis core
valkyrie chronicles 2
Ys seven

[quote name='Bing147']Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

I got this and have yet to play a second.... love the first three I played on PSP though, just great old school JRPG sensibility.

I love in no particular order:

ARMORED CORE PORTABLE 3, Last Raven and Silent Line

LOCOROCO

PATAPON

I Love Katamari

GTA Vice City Stories

[quote name='Bing147']Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

:applause::bouncy::bouncy: Just wow! after watching a few walk through videos I seriously wish I had this game in my hand now. Thanks for the suggestion, I will be picking this one up shortly

Some of my favorites (that you haven't already mentioned):

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Ys Seven

MGS Peace Walker

FF: Crisis Core

Gran Turismo

Burnout Legends

God of War (series)

Me and My Katamari

Persona 3: Portable

After I picked up a PSP last year I was pleasantly surprised how many good games were on the system. The PSP was the reason I decided to sell my Vita since I was getting far more value out of the system via the cheaper UMD games and it gave me more peace of mind carrying around (less expensive device). There's still ton of PSP games I haven't got around to playing too. :)

Now is the perfect time to pick one up since the library is jam packed with good titles to play.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Psp Rpg games are the ones that really stand out for me.

Final fantasy crisis core
valkyrie chronicles 2
Ys seven[/QUOTE]

I'll have to wait on the FF to see if I like the ones I have. I've never played FF before ( I know! Gasp) My younger sister was obsessed with it and still is, so now its finally my turn to give it a go. Def. have to pick up Valkyrie Chronicles 2 and Ys Seven look right up my alley too.

[quote name='jimjom']I got this and have yet to play a second.... love the first three I played on PSP though, just great old school JRPG sensibility.

I love in no particular order:

ARMORED CORE PORTABLE 3, Last Raven and Silent Line

LOCOROCO

PATAPON

I Love Katamari

GTA Vice City Stories[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Armored Core games, looks like they may frustrate me but if i can get one for $10 or less I'd pick up to give it a try

I can't wait to get the Locoroco games I ordered on ebay. They look like a lot of fun and easy to pick up and put down.

Love Katamari on Ps2 and well as Vita so this will be a pick up for sure

Is there a lot of driving in GTA? I'm absolutely horrible at driving in games. If its possible to crash into something I will LOL

I think I will shortly have a quite a large backlog for the psp Thanks for all the suggestions

[quote name='antlp89']Some of my favorites (that you haven't already mentioned):

Burnout Legends
Persona 3: Portable

After I picked up a PSP last year I was pleasantly surprised how many good games were on the system. The PSP was the reason I decided to sell my Vita since I was getting far more value out of the system via the cheaper UMD games and it gave me more peace of mind carrying around (less expensive device). There's still ton of PSP games I haven't got around to playing too. :)

Now is the perfect time to pick one up since the library is jam packed with good titles to play.[/QUOTE]

I love Persona 4 for the vita! I will without a doubt pick it up for the psp as well as burnout the only driving game i was good at.

Yea I love my vita but it is not something I always feel comfortable bringing with me. So its nice to have a less expensive system for some of my travels. Plus it is nice that from what I've seen so far I can pick up some great games for under $15 complete with box and instructions

As already stated, the Legend of Heroes series was a great one. Also, I would also suggest Popolocrois as another RPG.

As a side game, Echochrome is a great puzzle game.

I'm having fun with Jikandia.

Also if you are into Kindom Hearts pick up Birth by Sleep!

Also you might want to grab Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy....(Not sure what order to put that in >.

A 2GB memory stick should be fine just for game saves. If you plan on playing PS1 games and downloaded PSP games, then I'd suggest getting a larger memory stick.

I recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Gradius Collection
DJ Max Portable 1 and 3
Gitarooman
Shadow of Destiny
Corpse Party 1 and 2 (digital download)
Lumines 1 and 2
Mega Man X Maverick Hunter
Mega Man Powered Up

I plan on getting the digital versions of Final Fantasy III, Black Rock Shooter, and Corpse Party 2.

Games completely unique to the PSP:
Crisis Core
Ys Oath in Felghana
Ys Seven (very different from Oath in Felghaha, but it's a continuing series and both are worth playing)
Jeanne D'arc
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (this isn't as enjoyable if you haven't played the PS2 KH games)
Trails in the Sky

PS1 games ported to the PSP:
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

PSP games that are now available elsewhere in a better format (ie, HD, so you'd probably want to play the better version):
Lumines
God of War Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta
Any of the Grand Theft Auto games

[quote name='Mirpkered']
As a side game, Echochrome is a great puzzle game.[/QUOTE]

That is such an odd looking game but looks thoroughly enjoyable on my list for sure

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']

Also if you are into Kindom Hearts pick up Birth by Sleep!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder I picked up that KH awhile ago just because I'm such a huge fan of the series and had to have every game out even if I didnt have a system to play it on =D

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']A 2GB memory stick should be fine just for game saves. If you plan on playing PS1 games and downloaded PSP games, then I'd suggest getting a larger memory stick.
[/QUOTE]

I don't plan on dl much if anything to the system, thats what my vita is for. So good to know I wont need another memory stick.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']Let this guy help you out

http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalJesusRocks/videos?query=psp

first 4 vids[/QUOTE]

Thanks! His videos are great

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']HALF MINUTE HERO! I don't know how I forgot that earlier![/QUOTE]

Oh this game looks like a total blast!

[quote name='Vinny']Games completely unique to the PSP:
Crisis Core
Ys Oath in Felghana
Ys Seven (very different from Oath in Felghaha, but it's a continuing series and both are worth playing)

[/QUOTE]

For the Ys games do I need to play one before the other?

Jeanne D'arc

bread's done
Back