Suggestions for Replacing DSL Housing

option.iv

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Hey, currently I have a white DSLite that suffered from the left hinge crack (never bothered to replace). The crack doesn't bother me much, it still works fine, but I'd like to further customize it with a new case.

At the moment, I'm just looking at the replacement housings on dealextreme.com. Specifically these (leaning towards translucent black).

Translucent Black

Translucent White

Couple of my questions are, if anyone who has experience with replacement housings, can you shed some information about them? Best place to purchase them, thoughts about certain housings/sites that retail these, pointers, etc.

A guide was also linked in one of the comments which can be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have heard good things about the ones from dealextreme I would try a retailer known for there product quality.

I've thought about doing this myself (just for the uniqueness of it) but I'm waiting for my warranty to expire.

And i'd also go with a site that is known for their quality.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. Well my warranty is pretty much done. And... I took the plunge and ordered one of the cases. I've heard good things about dealextreme, only bad thing would probably be that they ship from Hong Kong (up to 3 weeks for delivery). But I'll just stay patient for now. I guess I'll update whenever they arrive.

the tutorial looks waaay too complicated.

i'd pay someone to do it, though. i wonder what would be fair.. any CAGs want to take me up on the offer?

[quote name='sayHey']the tutorial looks waaay too complicated.

i'd pay someone to do it, though. i wonder what would be fair.. any CAGs want to take me up on the offer?[/QUOTE]
Well, I kinda like these do it yourself mini projects. But if my case is successful, and at least worth it, I'll definitely to leave some feedback on the item.

[quote name='option.iv']Couple of my questions are, if anyone who has experience with replacement housings, can you shed some information about them? Best place to purchase them, thoughts about certain housings/sites that retail these, pointers, etc.[/quote]I wish I had some insight for you.

I've found a dealer on ebay who also sells the replacement casings (for a lot more, though) and have been toying with getting one. But in truth, what I mainly need is a new spring or button or whatever for under the Dpad on a DSLite.

Looking at what parts are included in the replacement casings, I don't think my Dpad problems would be solved. And looking at the comments at dealextreme about the new housings not always closing properly or the buttons getting caught, I'm just gonna continue using my older DSlite for stylus heavy games and my newer DSlite for all the rest. =\

Ok, I am truly a dumbass. I finally got the replacement housing. Putting everything together was extremely tedious. In the process I broke the internal part of the power switch (it was the smallest weakest part sticking out from the mobo), it was hard not to. So I was thinking "okay, I guess I'll just have to use a sharp thin object to turn on my ds all the time. However, when I put everything together, something horrible happened. I tried using the bottom screen, however it doesn't respond to the touch (tried many times to fix this problem, so I'm pretty much FUBAR and will have to get a new one.

I thought I could handle putting the DSL together, having experience with building computers without a hitch. However all the extremely small pieces and wiring were too much for me. The whole process took about 3 hours of horrible construction.

As for the replacement housing itself. It came a two weeks late... Most of the construction was great, however, the screen/border that came with it was made of crap scratched up plastic. And the trigram screwdriver I ordered from them (dealextreme) was magnetized (which I thought wouldn't harm the DSL at all due to their size... boy was I wrong).

All in all, this whole experience of replacing a DSL housing was far from enjoyable. I guess I'll have to throw down cash to get a new DSL... On the not so bright side, I have extra DS parts, though what good would they do me since my fingers only bring destruction.

If you want to replace your DSL housing, I would suggest instead to put decals on your DS instead. But if you have extremely small hands, have nothing to lose, and have precise construction skills, I'd say go for it.

Time to start looking for DS deals...

edit: And I seem to have a bunch of DSL parts for sale, though I don't think anyone would want to buy them.

bread's done
Back