Suggestions for Zombie movies?

Kurt Hustle

CAG Veteran
My apologies if this is the incorrect spot to post, no deal in here just looking for opinions. Didn't wanna infringe on the Horror flick thread also on the first page, but lately I've been on a HUGE zombie movie kick and looking for suggestions on older / obscure / rare / underrated / overrated movies not on the list of what I have already. ANY recommendation is appreciated especially 80s stuff...the cheesier the better. Thanks in advance.

My list...

Anything Romero
NOTLD 90 remake
Return of The Living Dead series
Dawn 2004
Day 2008
28 Days/Weeks
CHUD (Not really zombie I guess)
Undead
Zombie Diaries
City of The Living Dead (Same as Zombi? Someone please educate me)
The Video Dead
Night of the Creeps
Re-Animator Series
Resident Evil series
Evil Dead series
Dead Alive
Planet Terror
Severed Forest of The Dead

Anything classic or not so classic I am missing? I know there's a LOT more flicks out there...but looking to get some opinions on movies ppl have actually seen and can judge.. as opposed to me just buying cause it has "Dead / Zombie" in the title. Again...much thanks.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese film Bio-Zombie...it's really silly at times, but I guess that's what I like about zombie movies...

A couple of my favs are
Shaun of the Dead
and the Peter Jackson classic Dead Alive (aka Braindead)
(but i see you already have that one)

Ohhh Night of the Creeps is such a fine film. Shaun of the Dead is excellent. Zombie is decent. Don't forget Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. Return of the Living Dead is awesome. I drink your blood is fun to watch. Check out Troma's PoultryGeist. Redneck Zombies is ok. There are tons out there but this is all I could think of right now.

Bio-Zombie, Wild Zero, Stacy, and Junk are all good Japanese flicks. A lot of people like Versus as well but I didn't really care for it.

Thanks for all the quick recommendations ..keep em coming...just watched a trailer for Bio-Zombie...def will checking that one out. I'm more of a fan of the traditional zombie flick I guess...zombie outbreak fought off by survivor(s) is my cup of tea.

[quote name='jbroush99']No[/quote]

It's funny cause on a couple of forums I've seen the movie catch enormous amounts of hate, but as far as zombie movies go I didn't think it was that bad. I could have done without Day of the Dead being the title considering it had zero to do with Romeros classic, also could have lived without Nick Cannon and his character. But if you can get past comparing it to Romeros Day then I thought it wasn't all that horrible. But I guess plentiful decent looking zombies and fighting survivors is enough for me.

[quote name='Kurt Hustle']
City of The Living Dead (Same as Zombi? Someone please educate me)
[/quote]

City of the Living Dead is not the same as Zombi (or, rather, Zombi 2). It was however, directed by the same guy, Lucio Fulci.

To clarify further, Dawn '78 was released in Italy as Zombi. The awesome Fulci movie, Zombi 2, was just titled that to attempt to cash in on the success of Zombi.

I think you've got it covered except for Fido, which someone already mentioned. I like werewolf movies just as much, so I practically pray to Ginger Snaps, Dog Soldiers, and Re-Animator.

I think pretty much all the good zombie movies have been taken.

I got one not many people know of though:

Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)

Zombi is the name for the recut Europeon version of 78 Dawn of the Dead. City of the Living Dead is different movie entirely.

Here are some others to check out:

Zombi 2 or Zombie(usa)
Rabid
They Came Back
Zombie Town

Dance of the Dead.

A teen comedy/ zombie movie. Certainly not a classic, but a very entertaining zombie film.

Not actual zombies, but I've got a couple zombie-esque movie recommendations.

The Last Man on Earth is a decent survival horror movie. It's Vincent Price boarded up in his house, fending off famished vampires who stagger around like Romero zombies. One of Romero's inspirations in creating NOTLD. It's based on the book, I Am Legend, which has had 3 drastically different movie 'adaptations'.

Also, Mulberry St is a pretty good low-budget survival horror movie. Just ignore the whole 'rat people' idea and think of them as zombies.

For actual zombies, The Walking Dead comic book series is better than most of these zombie movies.

[quote name='Kurt Hustle']It's funny cause on a couple of forums I've seen the movie catch enormous amounts of hate, but as far as zombie movies go I didn't think it was that bad. I could have done without Day of the Dead being the title considering it had zero to do with Romeros classic, also could have lived without Nick Cannon and his character. But if you can get past comparing it to Romeros Day then I thought it wasn't all that horrible. But I guess plentiful decent looking zombies and fighting survivors is enough for me.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with the remake. I'm a HUGE Romero fan, and I can look past the in title only remake to see that its a decent movie. Some people can't and those people usually have a stick up their ass.

Zombi is different from City of the Living Dead. Although they both are Fulci flicks. Definitely check out Zombi, great gore.

I can vouch for both Shaun of the Dead and Bio-Zombie as well. Other than that you've got a pretty good list.

[quote name='Kurt Hustle']It's funny cause on a couple of forums I've seen the movie catch enormous amounts of hate, but as far as zombie movies go I didn't think it was that bad. I could have done without Day of the Dead being the title considering it had zero to do with Romeros classic, also could have lived without Nick Cannon and his character. But if you can get past comparing it to Romeros Day then I thought it wasn't all that horrible. But I guess plentiful decent looking zombies and fighting survivors is enough for me.[/quote]

I couldn't get past the fact that it looked like they hit the fast forward button to make the zombies look faster than they were. That and the piss poor CGI.

I LOVE the Japanese movie Versus over the top hyper-violent action involving two escaped convicts, gun toting yakuza zombies and some apocalypse in a Forest of Destiny or somesuch place. Really funny, Totally Awesome.

[quote name='staticnoise']City of the Living Dead is not the same as Zombi (or, rather, Zombi 2). It was however, directed by the same guy, Lucio Fulci.

To clarify further, Dawn '78 was released in Italy as Zombi. The awesome Fulci movie, Zombi 2, was just titled that to attempt to cash in on the success of Zombi.[/quote]

Nice now I have to pick up Zombi 2. I knew there was a few cuts of Dawn 78 running around...whats the general consensus on the best version?

[quote name='opterasis']I couldn't get past the fact that it looked like they hit the fast forward button to make the zombies look faster than they were. That and the piss poor CGI.[/quote]

Yeah actually now that u mention it...the movement of the zombies was pretty weak.

Anyone heard of / seen Hell of The Living Dead?

What about
[REC] (Watch it in Spanish w/subs, English Dub has really bad acting)
Dead And Buried
Night Life
Cemetery Man
UNDEAD
The Midnight Hour (Zombie Midget in this one)
Zombi 2 (Worth watching just for the Real life Shark vs Zombie scene)
Wild Zero (Looking for cheese?)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie

Can't remember anymore off the top of my head, I'll post more if they come to mind.

I love original dawn of the dead(saw like 50 times at the midnight movies back in the day), Remake of Dawn of the dead was also awesome and it really got my heart racing. I wish they would make a movie that shows what happens after they reach the island in the dawn remake. I would so like to see that one. 28 days and 28 weeks later. Day of the dead with Nick was ok really. I was surprised. Check out Dance of the dead for a super cool zombie comedy. Think 16 candles meets dawn of the dead.

[quote name='opterasis']I couldn't get past the fact that it looked like they hit the fast forward button to make the zombies look faster than they were. That and the piss poor CGI.[/quote]

What bothered me more was they had a random zombie or two in a couple scenes crawling on the ceiling or the walls, also at random hyper-speeds. It seems like they over-edited the movie, and it would have been better without that crap, because it was almost decent otherwise.

Dead Heat (really cheesy Zombie/cop movie)
Evil (To Kako) - Cheesy Greek(?) zombie film
Zombie Town (cheesy, but I liked it. Some good one liners)
Hell's Ground (not too bad)

The Video Dead is also a forgotten classic of zombie film. (Just VHS as far as I know)
Also, the British miniseries Dead Set was a lot of fun to watch.

Im going to have to saw Dawn of the Dead is probably my all time favorite.

Although, I just saw that movie "Zombie Strippers" with Jenna Jameson and Tito Ortiz. Its horrible, but it makes it good. I actually enjoyed it haha.

[quote name='Wanderlai']Is "Diary of the Dead" any good? Its in the amazon bluray sale that starts the 6th and I was thinking about picking it up.[/quote]

I liked Diary of the Dead - the concept and idea were definitely the strong point - execution wasn't all that bad either but I mean no where near the best but very enjoyable.

For the Zombie fan I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Fright-Pack-W...ef=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1231208825&sr=8-6

It's a six pack with some classics - I got it for 15 in store at Frys a year ago. Don't know where to find it cheap now.

I also recommend Zombie Pack 1 and 2 for some good campy stuff - though Zombi 3-5 are bad.

Plaga Zombie is good if you don't mind amateur films - they sell a double DVD pack of it.

I've heard mixed things about Flight of the Living Dead and Zombie Diaries - any recs?

Undead is also a good one I heard there may be a part 2 coming out? I also consider I Am Legend a Zombie film more than a vampire film - and yes I know - the book says different but the movie says zombie to me.

If you'd like to witness the early acting of Billy Bob Thorton

"Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town" a Troma film

Just throwin' this one out there I may make more additions in a future post.

[quote name='Kurt Hustle']

Anyone heard of / seen Hell of The Living Dead?[/quote]

Hell of the Living Dead was an Italian rip-off of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. It's extremely cheesy, but I suppose that makes it good in a way, if you like really bad movies that is. I personally like it, but I only watch it once in a while.

As for zombie movie suggestions, I'd like to suggest Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I don't think anyone suggested it yet, which isn't surprising since it is considered a hidden gem among horror/zombie fans.

The Blind Dead series (Tombs of the Blind Dead, The Ghost Galleon, Return of the Evil Dead, and Night of the Seagulls) is quite good too, especially the first one which has terrific atmosphere.

Lastly, House By The Cemetery is a good flick. Technically it's a zombie film since it has a zombie in it. It's was also directed by Lucio Fulci who has already been mentioned in this thread.

Great suggestions so far. I would also like to add Dead and Breakfast. I know it has gotten some mixed reviews, but I thought it was a lot of fun (even the songs). As an added bonus you can watch it instantly on Netflix!

A lot of people didn't like Diary of the Dead but I thought it was a fresh take on the Zombie genre. It has all the Zombie cliches though.

[quote name='NeoSmith19']Hell of the Living Dead was an Italian rip-off of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. It's extremely cheesy, but I suppose that makes it good in a way, if you like really bad movies that is. I personally like it, but I only watch it once in a while.

As for zombie movie suggestions, I'd like to suggest Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I don't think anyone suggested it yet, which isn't surprising since it is considered a hidden gem among horror/zombie fans.

The Blind Dead series (Tombs of the Blind Dead, The Ghost Galleon, Return of the Evil Dead, and Night of the Seagulls) is quite good too, especially the first one which has terrific atmosphere.

Lastly, House By The Cemetery is a good flick. Technically it's a zombie film since it has a zombie in it. It's was also directed by Lucio Fulci who has already been mentioned in this thread.[/quote]

Well for anyone who can find the Fright Pack: Walking Dead that includes:

Hell of the Living Dead
City of the Living Dead
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
House By The Cemetary
Nightmare City
Dead Heat

Imagine getting all 6 of those for 15! It was a Zombie lover's dream that day!

[quote name='tomwaits1']Not actual zombies, but I've got a couple zombie-esque movie recommendations.

The Last Man on Earth is a decent survival horror movie. It's Vincent Price boarded up in his house, fending off famished vampires who stagger around like Romero zombies. One of Romero's inspirations in creating NOTLD. It's based on the book, I Am Legend, which has had 3 drastically different movie 'adaptations'.

Also, Mulberry St is a pretty good low-budget survival horror movie. Just ignore the whole 'rat people' idea and think of them as zombies.

For actual zombies, The Walking Dead comic book series is better than most of these zombie movies.[/quote]

I gotta second that vote for the walking dead comic book. i just buy the trades but they are very good and i stary abreast of what is going on between trades and it is a very good series with no end in site.

though off topic another comic to read would be crossed. zombies amped up to the extreme and very graphic.

back to movies, all the great ones have been named already so the only thing that I can offer are comics for your zombie needs. sorry but I hope I helped

The Last Man on Earth.

It was the first as far as I know movie adaptation of I Am Legend. It also stars Vincent Price in a non-normal for him role.

It's pretty loyal to the book, at least compared to the other adaptations, the ending is a bit weak though. Still enjoyable if you liked the book.

Flight of the living dead is not too bad. Kind of like snakes on a plane but it is zombies instead.

Burial Ground is included in Zombie Pack 2 I believe - which canbe had for 14.99 at bestbuy - that one is entertaining - and creepy - that little "boy" is creepy as heck - but not in the scary way.

And I cosign that walking dead recommendation - I can also suggest some books about zombies, zombie movies, etc. if you'd like.

I really liked Undead. It has a plot twist that was rather unpopular with a lot of people, but I thought it was a fun movie overall.

Nobody's mentioned this yet, and I don't think it's technically a zombie movie:

Cannibal Holocaust

I haven't seen all of it, but it was pretty twisted and gruesome. They're cannibals, so they're not undead, but they still like to eat people! Anyone else seen this? Nice topic (maybe in the wrong spot)!

[quote name='squidhead442']Nobody's mentioned this yet, and I don't think it's technically a zombie movie:

Cannibal Holocaust

I haven't seen all of it, but it was pretty twisted and gruesome. They're cannibals, so they're not undead, but they still like to eat people! Anyone else seen this? Nice topic (maybe in the wrong spot)![/quote]

It bored me to tears. And I really didn't appreciate the murder of live animals. IMO it's one of the more overrated cult classics.

bread's done
Back