Suikoden II

Zaku77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
107 (100%)
So I just spent $134 dollars on a like new copy of Suikoden II O_O It sounds like a perfect condition copy, and it's definitely cheap compared to all the completed listing, but DAMN! It feels WEIRD to spend that much on one damn game!

It's a pretty great game, but you can get lost with 108 characters to choose from. I enjoyed what I played of it, but it's not the best RPG. It's just extremely rare. I'm a little jealous since I don't own it. ;)

Suikoden is the last 'great' RPG series that I needed to get, so I am excited to finally be knocking it out. The first and fifth games are also fairly spendy (nothing in comparison, of course, haha)

I saw Very Goods going for about $155, so I feel like I got a pretty damn good deal on this one. It sounds like you got an even better deal, though. lol

Whoever snagged the copies from Warehouse Deals late last year were pretty lucky. It was between $30-40 if I remember correctly.

I mean $130 is a lot, but some people spend $150+ on CEs of games that go down in value, and those are only one game, granted they do come with extras. But Sukoden 2 will probably keep its value or go up. Unless they release a Suikoden Collection for PS3, which I find highly unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still kicking myself for selling my copy and guide for almost nothing a decade ago. It was to a friend at least.

I got crazy-lucky a few years ago & found this at a Game Crazy during their Classic Plastic sale. 5 bucks? I didn't let go of it at the counter just in case the clerk decided to pull some 'Oh, that one's not for sale' nonsense.

Only trouble is, it was disc-only... I got a manual for $13 eventually, but I still need a case.

Congrats OP. I know the feeling of finally getting a holy grail for your collection. I just hope your copy is as the seller describes it because eBay is full of blind asshats these days.

I paid $87 for mine back in 2004/5. I remember it being an awesome deal because it was going for $120-130, and my copy was near mint. Even then, it just seemed like so much. But I guess I should be glad I did...

Of course now, it doesn't seem like that much. I've purchased more than my share of $CEs that range from $80-100, and a few that were more than that.

I'm still amazed that this game hasn't made it to PSN yet. Hell, even Tomba was finally announced for PSN!!

I'm even more amazed by the fact that the games that have been released on PSN or were re-released/re-made for other systems are holding their value pretty well. Valkyrie Profile and the PS1 Personas are just barely under their peak values. Conversely, PS2 games have plummeted hard because...

I sold mine on amazon a few years ago for like $115. I got mine when I used to work at gamestop (before it became a shithole) and got it for like $40. It was one of those "Hey it's new, but will price it used" games..that's also how I got intelligent cube, tactics ogre and a bunch of other rarities..

It seems to me that both Valkyrie Profile and the Personas (to a lesser extent) have tanked a bit. I bought my Valkyrie Profile in literally perfect condition for only $60. I was also able to get a perfect condition Tactics Ogre for just $55. That's way less than what I have seen those go for. That's not the case with Suikoden II, though. That damn game just shows no sign of dropping! lol

Over the last three years I've actually found three copies of this for under $100. The first copy I snagged for $20 off of Half.com - it was disc only. I wound up selling it to a friend at cost because it was the last game he needed to complete his Suikoden collection. The next copy I scored off of Craigslist in a huge lot (~30 games and a PS2) for $250 - he came up with the price by charging about 40% of what the price was on Amazon at the time. I think that made Suikoden II about $50. The next copy I got was a month ago - I'm friends with the owner of one of the local Play N Trade stores and he actually calls me when rare stuff comes in. Somehow, he got Suikoden II traded in with a pile of really awful games (Bob the Builder, Blue's Clues, etc.) - he had it marked at $80 but said I could have it for $54.99 (plus my 10% discount, so I actually got it for a little under $50). This particular copy was absolutely mint - I assume that had something to do with the fact that it really didn't fit in with the other games the previous owner had. Pretty sure it was an accidental buy on their part.

Anyways, I sold my first two copies without ever bothering to play them. Two weeks ago, I decided to give the game a go - I don't regret it one bit. I decided to keep the final copy of the game and I'm playing through it right now. It really is a phenomenal game. The story is really good - I haven't been this engaged by an RPG since I played Chrono Trigger.

The only game I ever had to actually buckle down and pay market price for was Panzer Dragoon Saga. I think I got that for $160 back when Bing was offering 40% cashback on eBay purchases (Summer of 2008, I think). That was a really great game, as well. Terribly short, though.

That's a really good way to get something spendy like that. That's smart thinking! The only other mega expensive game I have to get is Tron Bonne. That game's price is just as scary as Suikoden II. lol

just in time for Sony to announce a PSN release....

lol j/k, but I'm glad I passed on a $60 copy of Tomba 1 i almost bought a few months ago.

I'd like a PSN release to play it on the PSP, but I still need it 'ye olde collection', so the most that 'could' have done for me is lower the price. lol

Definitely my favorite rpg of all time. I'm not really sure what they were thinking with the rest of the series though. I absolutely hated 3 and 4, and never played 5 because of it(even though I hear that one is much better). Still hoping to find it again at a garage sale/thrift store one of these days..wishful thinking on my part I'm guessing...

Could be wrong but the group behind Suikoden disbanded after tierkreis and has since made it difficult for sony to get Suikoden II on PSN.

Anyways happy to be apart of the suikoden II owners club Whoo! Got mine by trading several games to someone on gametz.

[quote name='jer7583']just in time for Sony to announce a PSN release....

lol j/k, but I'm glad I passed on a $60 copy of Tomba 1 i almost bought a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, the game's prices are holding rather steady. Usually, just after an announcement for a PSN release (or some other type of re-release) is made, the prices dip quite a bit.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Could be wrong but the group behind Suikoden disbanded after tierkreis and has since made it difficult for sony to get Suikoden II on PSN.

Anyways happy to be apart of the suikoden II owners club Whoo! Got mine by trading several games to someone on gametz.[/QUOTE]

Konami was the publisher though... they own all rights to the game regardless of who developed it (and it was developed in house), don't they?

The indie game store I work at sells disc only copies for $50 and complete copies for $60. We've only had two copies come in during the three years I've worked there, but, needless to say, I've picked them both up when they came in.

Congrats OP! Such a great game.

Oh, man. This brings back memories. I remember seeing a screenshot in Game Informer of the large-scale war battles in this game and thinking that it looked similar to another game I loved called Langrisser or Warsong. So when I saw it at the store for $10, I jumped on it immediately. This was before it became valuable and it was in mint condition. It remains one of my favorite games to this day.

The bad news is that they actually had a second copy in mint condition for the same price. I hope it brought as much joy to the other buyer as it did me at least.

Ah, Suikoden II. I still own my original copy I bought when it first came out. I REALLY need to play this again and beat it. I beat the original (which I still have too) about 5 times. I love the castle building aspect of it when you collect more "Stars"

Glad you got a copy.

This is a game that everyone should enjoy.

For all you old heads here, if you remember the EBGames morning update, this was the game that would pop in every once in a blue moon and you literally had 7 seconds to check out before it was gone.

I scored a mint complete copy one day...BEST DAY EVER!!!!!

Still hoping this makes a PSN release. I got the first game on PSN. I wish all those rare original Playstation games make to the Playstation Store soon.

Still waiting for Raiden Project, Silent Bomber, Intelligent Qube, Suikoden II, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, and Silhouette Mirage to appear on the PSN.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Still hoping this makes a PSN release. I got the first game on PSN. I wish all those rare original Playstation games make to the Playstation Store soon.

Still waiting for Raiden Project, Silent Bomber, Intelligent Qube, Suikoden II, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, and Silhouette Mirage to appear on the PSN.[/QUOTE]

Capcom already said due to license issue MML game won't be on PSN, so it is likely the same for Tron Bonne. The Sony and WD stuff have a good chance since Monkey Paw is working to bring them over.

This is probably my favorite game of all time. I actually still have my copy I got and matted it in a frame and it hangs on my wall. Swag

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Still hoping this makes a PSN release. I got the first game on PSN. I wish all those rare original Playstation games make to the Playstation Store soon.

Still waiting for Raiden Project, Silent Bomber, Intelligent Qube, Suikoden II, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, and Silhouette Mirage to appear on the PSN.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn this was on PSN. (Silhouette Mirage)

Now I'm gonna go look for myself.

I'm still really enjoying this game, but I have to admit that I almost rage quit on the Abomination boss fight (happens right before you get he castle). The boss only has three moves and if the randomizer rolls the same move twice (either of the two that can hit all six of your party members), he'll pretty much obliterate your party in a single turn since he gets to attack twice per turn. That happened to me twice, with the closest save point being all the way back in town (about 7 minutes away from the boss) - that was pretty annoying. Finally the game had mercy and it only rolled one multi hit attack in a turn giving me the chance to actually win. It kind of sucked that the boss fight entirely relied on randomization that I had no control over. I really hope there isn't any more boss fights like that as the game has been really good aside from that fight.

So funny story, the packaging is beautiful, but the disc has a lot of surface scratches! Guess what wasn't like new?! lol The seller is taking it back, though, with no fuss, and I'm already eye balling another nice prospective one. I looked through completed listings and the auctions end up at about what I payed, so this shouldn't cost me anymore than $10 or so extra... I hope! lol

[quote name='Zaku77']So funny story, the packaging is beautiful, but the disc has a lot of surface scratches! Guess what wasn't like new?! lol The seller is taking it back, though, with no fuss, and I'm already eye balling another nice prospective one. I looked through completed listings and the auctions end up at about what I payed, so this shouldn't cost me anymore than $10 or so extra... I hope! lol[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I know the feeling though... it seems like pretty much every PS1 game I buy these days is either badly scratched up or badly resurfaced. But a lot of copies of Suikoden II seem to be going for less than what you paid so you might end up benefiting.

I just picked up both Bust-A-Grooves for $70 (total) and I'm now biting my nails thinking they're really not "very good".

[quote name='62t']I am glad I got my complete Bust-A-Grooves off CL as part of a bundle for $20.[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I unfortunately decided to wait on some of rarities for the PS1 and only recently started getting back into it... very bad idea putting them off.

Got a copy off listia for 50,000 credits. I basically fot it free because I would post coke rewards points, club Nintendo codes, dlc codes(got a lot for Batman Beyond skins for Arkham City lol), and movie cash codes. Once I saw someone post that had to snag it...even id the Get It Now was so high.

I used to own a copy back around the time it came out bit a friend stole it off me....some friend. :/

He ended up moving out of state and haven't seen or talked to him since. I have no physical proof he stole it but he borrowed it from me before he moved and said he left it in my moms car. Wasn't there.

This may very well be my favorite ps1 game. Definitely on my top 5 at least

bread's done
Back