Sum 41 rips off Coldplay?

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
Some guy, apparently of Johnathan Barker Design, noticed that chord-wise and song structure-wise Sum 41's "Pieces" (2004) is a verse for verse, chorus for chorus, bridge for bridge, and break for break copy of Coldplay's "The Scientist" (2002). (Words and vocal melodies are different, for what that's worth.)

This MP3 has Coldplay in the left speaker and Sum41 in the right. If you can change the balance of your speakers, play around with that while you're listening to it, it'll blow your mind.

http://www.jbarkerdesign.com/UML/coldsum.mp3

Found this online and thought I would share. I've really grown to love the mix, myself.

Put in earbud headphones :p

EDIT: Wait, Pieces sounds slowed down and Scientist speeded up.
Not perfect, but sounds really close at the breaks o_O

thats a very very very popular chord pattern, im sure there are thousands of others that have the same.

thats just like saying every song that is G, C, Em, D is the same...... whch probably has millions apon millions of songs.

[quote name='evilmax17']Haha wow, they did this with 2 nickelback songs once.[/quote]

Just what I was thinking, but at least that was the same band. :lol:

And again I prefer the combination over the songs seperatley.

gj posting an mp3 mod :p

Who cares anymore, seriously. Five for Fighting did a ripoff of a song done by Angie Aparo way back in '95 (literally, they even stole the music). Didn't even ask. Was great at the acoustic show, though.. "Hey, isn't that a Five for Fighting song!?"

Yeah. The songs are sped up and whatnot, and of course music is going to have some stuff in common compared to others, but something cool to point out.

Thanks for posting that. I have no interest in the mix of the two songs, but I like that Coldplay song. I just didn't know the name--now I do, thanks!

[quote name='Death2Sanity']And we care about either band...why?

ESPECIALLY Coldplay. *shudders*[/quote]

Hey, what's wrong with Coldplay?

Anyways, I like how that mix sounds. Thanks OP!

So Sum 41 rips off a rip off band...who woulda thought?

Sum 41 rips off - nofx or any real punk band

Coldplay rips off - radiohead big time and the pixies

Im tired of rip off bands...be original

[quote name='Scorch']gj posting an mp3 mod :p

Who cares anymore, seriously. Five for Fighting did a ripoff of a song done by Angie Aparo way back in '95 (literally, they even stole the music). Didn't even ask. Was great at the acoustic show, though.. "Hey, isn't that a Five for Fighting song!?"[/quote]

Five for fighting is one guy

This topic reminds me of Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot" and Stabbing Westward's "Ungod." The two songs were similar but not as close as the Coldplay/Sum 41 ones. I think that the two bands used the same guitarist for a short period, so they ended up with two different songs with very similar melodies.

One website did the same thing (one song in one channel and one in the other) of Nickleback songs...one Nickleback song in one channel and one in the other...they were almost exactly the same...timing, solo, etc

Am I the only one actually finding the two songs mixing really well?

Anyways, they sound the same, but then again, every band's copied somebody at some point, so it's hard to give a fuck...

bread's done
Back