Summer Slump in full effect....one of those annoying suggestion threads

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
Okay, so I'm officially in a major gaming slump. This year I've played the heck out of Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, Portal 2, a bunch of 2010 leftovers (ex. Castlevania) and I'm dying for something new. I'm not much of an FPS guy, I mostly like RPG's and Action/Adventure games. Games I'm considering are.....and it's a random bunch.....

Prototype = Looks okay and a buddy says he's liking it.
Child of Eden = Looks cool, I'm hearing good things, but not sure it's worth $50
Tales of Vesperia = Loved Symphonia, but since FF13, JRPG's have lost their luster to me. I only hear good things about Vesperia, though.

I'm even considering Tron: Evolution and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 1 because I love both of those franchises, but I know the games stink.

So, I'm just at a loss. Any suggestions? Any solid XBLA games? I'm thinking about Stacked (LOVED Costume Quest) and maybe going back to Deathspank.

Thanks in advance, Honorable C.A.G. Fellowship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything except Prototype. I was in your shoes last year and that game made my slump SO MUCH WORSE. There's just a point in the game about 5 hours in where it becomes a chore and totally unfun.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Okay, so I'm officially in a major gaming slump. This year I've played the heck out of Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, Portal 2, a bunch of 2010 leftovers (ex. Castlevania) and I'm dying for something new. I'm not much of an FPS guy, I mostly like RPG's and Action/Adventure games. Games I'm considering are.....and it's a random bunch.....

Prototype = Looks okay and a buddy says he's liking it.
Child of Eden = Looks cool, I'm hearing good things, but not sure it's worth $50
Tales of Vesperia = Loved Symphonia, but since FF13, JRPG's have lost their luster to me. I only hear good things about Vesperia, though.

So, I'm just at a loss. Any suggestions? Any solid XBLA games? I'm thinking about Stacked (LOVED Costume Quest) and maybe going back to Deathspank.

Thanks in advance, Honorable C.A.G. Fellowship.[/QUOTE]
I'm finally getting to play Bulletstorm myself and loving it. Got Batman: Arkham Asylum next on the queue.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Anything except Prototype. I was in your shoes last year and that game made my slump SO MUCH WORSE. There's just a point in the game about 5 hours in where it becomes a chore and totally unfun.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that's one against Prototype.....in addition to my gut telling me it's not my kind of game (I'm not much of a superhero/comic fan and that seems to have translated to games).

My main problem is that I've never been one to play a game over and over. It's usually once and done. Except for the Mass Effect games. I may just end up replaying those.

God I loved Prototype, and then hated it, with a passion. It started off really fun, and just got progressively frustrating and tedious. it was so repetitive and not very engaging. You'll get a small amount of fun out of killing some stuff and feeling like a badass, but otherwise it's just a really dull game that doesn't excel at really anything in particular. I ended up slogging through the second half of the game and beating it, but can't even recall the ending, as the story wasn't very engaging. The gameplay was okay, graphics were pretty bad. I really can't recommend it.

I played a few hours of Tales of Vesperia and it was great from what I played, need to get back around to that. If you like jrpgs I can't recommend Eternal Sonata enough, I really got hooked on that and I'm not much of a jrpg fan anymore, but something about it was addicting and I loved the art style in it.

Tales of Vesperia is great, and it lasts a long time, it even has multiple playthroughs you can run through if you want, so you'll get your moneys worth and it should last a while which is nice. I also did enjoy Prototype but can see it's not something everyone would enjoy, and for Tron Evolution, I actually really enjoyed that one as well, while it wasn't the best game I've played I felt it was still pretty solid and as a fan of the franchise (as you said you were) I felt that it was at least worthy of a playthrough.

I hated Prototype, so much. I am really not sure how I beat it, after the impossible final boss. I would not recommend it to anyone.

I would recommend an XBLA game Deadliest Warriors. Deadliest Warriors is a fighting game. I recently picked it up in a gaming slump of mine, and it held my attention for a few weeks. And before you ask, 800 msp. Also thought I would add that I love this game, and I hate fighters.

Quick look. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-deadliest-warrior-the-game/17-2901/

Edit: I looked at your GT. Here are some great games you haven't played.
Saints Row 2
Just Cause 2
Fallout: New Vegas (My favorite game on the xbox)
Mirrors Edge (A cheap pick up, great game)

Cool, thanks gang. I'm still considering Vesperia and I'm glad I got a positive nod for Tron.

Dark Rider, thanks for the suggestions. I forgot about Just Cause 2, might have to look into that. Mirrors Edge is a no-go (I get crazy motion sickness, thus don't play many FPS') and I couldn't get into Fallout 3, so I figured New Vegas isn't my thing.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Cool, thanks gang. I'm still considering Vesperia and I'm glad I got a positive nod for Tron.

Dark Rider, thanks for the suggestions. I forgot about Just Cause 2, might have to look into that. Mirrors Edge is a no-go (I get crazy motion sickness, thus don't play many FPS') and I couldn't get into Fallout 3, so I figured New Vegas isn't my thing.[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help. I think Fallout: NV is easier to get into than Fallout 3. However, if you don't like that type of game, you probably still wont like it.

If you like RPGs, Fable 2 is always a good pickup.

I personally love Viva Pinata. If you ever get tired of shooting things it's definitely a great game at $10. I am sure other CAGs can vouch for Viva Pinata.

i just got off wow and sort of feel ya
i play fighters here and there but i've been really craving story type games. Right now im doign resident evil 5 but im not really liking it that much. need to find me a good rpg! :(

I do love RPG's and I've played Fable 2 and 3 to death (100% achievements, too). I've thought about Divinity II: Dragon Knight, and Resonance of fate. I still have Blue Dragon that I never finished. But, again, Final Fantasy 13 has so turned me off to Japanese developed RPG's that I find myself reluctant to go back. Which is a shame because I grew up on JRPG's. Lost Odyssey was the last, great and epic JRPG for me, I think.

Which brought me back to something like Divinity II, or maybe Two Worlds II. Anybody have thoughts on those?

Oh, and I may check out Viva Pinata. I was thinking of picking up the Banjo/Viva two-pack.

I have to also recommend Saints Row 2. If you liked GTA: San Andreas you'll love Saints Row 2. Also you can coop the campaign with a friend for limitless enjoyment.

i'd recommend fallout 3 and bioshock 2 if you havent played it already. bioshock 2 multiplayer + trying for some of the achievements should keep you busy for awhile.

arcade games: castle crashers

i'd suggest looking on the marketplace for some demos that might interest you. try the dead rising demo, its definitely a fun game(and dirt cheap too) that will keep you entertained for quite some time, and dead rising 2 can be found for pretty cheap if you're interested in the sequel.

XBLA - Might & Magic:Clash of Heroes was a great time sink if, it has some RPG elements, puzzle challenges, the whole multiplayer side of it, and the campaign was pretty good. Very much like Puzzle Quest, Bejeweled 2, and game similar to it.

MtG Planeswalker 2012 is another if you like MtG of course.

Fallout: NV is $19.99 now? ...that should keep you busy for a while plus it's not a traditional FPS, especially when you turn VATS on.

Are you against buying new games? Did you consider LA Noire?

Definitely not against buying new games. Not at all and honestly, that's preferred. There just isn't anything new that interests me. I played the Duke Nukem demo and it wasn't very good, Alice doesn't interest me at all, and I strongly considered Noire, because I loved Red Dead, but the premise of L.A. Noire just doesn't interest me and I'm not a huge Rockstar fan. I guess you could say I'm pretty picky.

Where it stands now is that I'm considering one "quick"ish game and one larger game. So, like maybe Tron as a cheap, quick kind of game and maybe Tales of Vesperia as the more involved game.

I just need to fill the next 2 months until Deus Ex Human Revolution comes out. Then the rest of the year is locked up tight with all the great games coming.

Wow...I was looking at Prototype but it kinda reminded me of the old Incredible Hulk Game on the old Xbox so I passed. I'm glad to read the feedback that everyone else wrote. That's saves me $20.

Have you played The Saboteur? It's fantastic and a great way to soak up some time.
Otherwise:
Batman
Dead Space
Fallout 3 & Vegas
Dead Rising (and sequel)

Are all very fun and take up some time.

Enslaved. One of the most underrated games on the 360. Amazing action / adventure game.

To make it even sweeter it's $14.99 at BBY...might be YMMV but MSRP is $19.99 which is still a great deal.

If you missed out on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, it's definitely one of 2010's best. Just played through it the past few weeks myself.

Lots of great suggestions! Keep em coming, if not for me for other folk in the same situation, cuz I know I'm not alone.

I played and enjoyed Enslaved. And I am planning on getting Half Minute Hero next week. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is another good recommendation, but I'd be mad if I had to pay full price when it was just on sale. Hey, this is C.A.G. right? HA!

I'll second a couple recommendations that have already been mentioned: Saint's Row 2 and The Saboteur. SR2 is still one of my favorite games from this gen, and The Saboteur was a game I enjoyed so much I actually got 1000/1000 GS. Not a big deal for lots of CAGs, I know, but for me it's still the only game I've done that with.

Anyway, both are crazy fun and shouldn't be missed by any action-adventure fan.

I'm back with more recommendations.

Prey - 1st Person shooter
(A launch game that still holds up really well. And for 3.99 used you can't go wrong.)
Batman: AA - 3rd person Stealth
( Not Alcoholics Anonymous) (You have probably already played this, but I can't recommend it enough.)
Kameo: Elements Of Power - Adventure/RPG
(This is a game I bought many years ago and finally got around to playing. Like Prey it is a launch game, that still holds up very well. Just note, it takes a while to get in to.)

Tales of Vesperia hands down. Pretty lengthy game which will easily net you about 60-70 hours. Since you loved Symphonia, this game has more of the same. Nothing truly groundbreaking in terms of the battle system, but it builds on Symphonia's and is pretty solid.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is another good recommendation, but I'd be mad if I had to pay full price when it was just on sale. Hey, this is C.A.G. right? HA![/QUOTE]

Good news! Deal of the Week, 600 points.

That's a friggin steal. The game is well worth the 1200.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Anything except Prototype. I was in your shoes last year and that game made my slump SO MUCH WORSE. There's just a point in the game about 5 hours in where it becomes a chore and totally unfun.[/QUOTE]

You read my mind. I loved Prototype in the beginning but after a while it was just frustrating and no longer fun. The missions were tedious time sinks, especially the ones involving tanks. Every time you had to pull a guy out of the cockpit it switched into a quicktime event and the enemy could still hit you while you were doing this.

I did beat the game but I was cursing the whole time because it just wouldn't end.

[quote name='nasum']Have you played The Saboteur? It's fantastic and a great way to soak up some time.
[/QUOTE]

Now there's a fun game! Saboteur had a great story and the action was great. The destruction in the game was some of the best I've seen.

As far as other games I'd recommend...

Red Faction Guerilla
Dead Rising 1&2
Singularity
Dark Sector
Saint's Row 2

Another vote for Tales of Vesperia. Great game and a breath of fresh air among anime-style JRPGs. Adheres to tradition in satisfying ways, without ever succumbing to stereotypes and predictability.

[quote name='dkcecil']
Now there's a fun game! Saboteur had a great story and the action was great. The destruction in the game was some of the best I've seen.
[/QUOTE]

Saboteur is a great game. It's a shame that so many people have overlooked it. Personally, I loved it. I had wanted an open world WWII game for a long time, and I had a blast with it.

A few more suggestions that seem overlooked:

Overlord 1 and 2
Deadly Premonition
Battlestations Pacific
Condemned 1 and 2
Alan Wake
Singularity - One of the most underrated shooters ever
Wolfenstein

[quote name='Corvin']Good news! Deal of the Week, 600 points.

That's a friggin steal. The game is well worth the 1200.[/QUOTE]

Funny when I saw that earlier today. Bought in downloading now! :)

Also, gonna pick up Stacked next week and maybe Torchlight. I'll try the demo for Half Minute Hero, too.

There have been a bunch of great recommendations in this thread, but the one game that started to intrigue me is Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga. Played the demo for 90 minutes last night and I must say, it's darn good. Might pick it up after I get through these XBL games.

I recommend Just Cause 2, it's a open world game with a HUGE map and nice graphics, although it feels a little unpolished and under-scripted.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Enslaved. One of the most underrated games on the 360. Amazing action / adventure game.

To make it even sweeter it's $14.99 at BBY...might be YMMV but MSRP is $19.99 which is still a great deal.[/QUOTE]
Just finished it and enjoyed it.

OP there is still time to finish Bioshock

I'd also second (third?) Enslaved. I quite enjoyed it.

As for RPGs, I could never really get into Vesperia (probably because of an unreasonably difficult boss fight relatively early).

Yeah summer slump hits me hard every year. I usually go back and try to beat a bunch of non mainstream games.

I finished Alice Madness returns and then played through Crysis.

I just got Batman AA, so I've got that. Probably also going to buy XBLA Hard Corps while on sale. And possibly Torchlight next week, but not sure on that yet.

If you don't have Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light, I highly recommend that for this week's sale price. Great game! Not real long, but a lot of fun. Worth 600 points for sure.

[quote name='crunchewy']
If you don't have Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light, I highly recommend that for this week's sale price. Great game! Not real long, but a lot of fun. Worth 600 points for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's a solid 15+ hours if you go for the [more or less] 100% completion achievement.

Trenched. Seriously, this game is absolutely incredible. Stacking will be half-off next week and Torchlight will be 800 points, too. There are probably a good deal of XBLA games that could keep you busy for awhile.

I was going to pick up Child of Eden eventually, part of me really wants to pay full price for it.

Thanks for tomb raider suggestion. went in on that! i havnt played tomb raider since the ps1, i rally loved those 2 games on that system haha.

might get me that RPG everyone keeps suggesting too, ff13 was one of my fav new gen games last summer. :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']might get me that RPG everyone keeps suggesting too, ff13 was one of my fav new gen games last summer. :)[/QUOTE]

Have you played lost odyssey?

Child of Eden is great, but I'm glad I paid $40 instead of $50. :) Only problem with Child of Eden is that if you pull a muscle in your back, your SOL (well, you could play with controller, but it's so fun with Kinect... unlike what CheapyD thinks). I can't wait to try it with Kinect and a couple controllers for vibration. Or maybe I'll use twine (that's what I've got) and tie four of them to my belt. :) :) Anyway, I can't play it right now. I only got to play the first level before going on vacation, then I pulled a muscle in my back. Sigh.

Have you been through the Assasin's Creed franchise? I mostly liked the first, and so far I'm really enjoying II. Plan on getting Brotherhood next. Also, do you like the Splinter Cell games? Double Agent is really cheap, and decent. Conviction is in my backlog.

Thanks for this thread OP! and everyone else with the suggestions. Picked up the following at Gamestop.

Prey $2.99
Dark Sector $3.99
Kameo Elements of Power $4.99
Lost Odyssey $16.99

Currently playing Kameo and loving every minute of it. Good game. I will be set for awhile!

bread's done
Back