Summer Wars Blu-ray for $19.99 on Amazon

[quote name='simpleblur']Anyone think there's going to be another Funimation deal forthcoming?[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so. I snagged like 4 anime series during that sale with intention of picking up some more, but now the prices are all back up. Waiting is hard, but just knowing that they were so much cheaper a month ago is keeping me from buying any more...

What Funimation deal are you guys talking about? Was this something on Amazon or directly through them or another retailer?

[quote name='nepenthegram']What Funimation deal are you guys talking about? Was this something on Amazon or directly through them or another retailer?[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282653

To sum up the above link; Amazon had (up to) 67% off selected Funimation titles about a month ago.

I'm not sure if I want to wait, Summer Wars hasn't been released yet so its likely a few months before they discount it.

Awesome movie but $19.99 seems too steep for my cheapass. Afraid I may not get the slipcover, though, so I'm waiting for it to show up in my Gold Box.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I watched the video on Amazon, I'm confused..... What's this about?[/QUOTE]

It's got great reviews so I checked the trailer too, and like you I'm totally confused on what this is.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's got great reviews so I checked the trailer too, and like you I'm totally confused on what this is.[/QUOTE]

will attempt to keep the spoilers to a minimum, as its an amazing film.

Plot:
Boy goes to visit girls family during the summer. Girl lies to family that boy is her boyfriend. Boy slowly wins over family and girl. oh,
and some computer virus will kill everyone involved.

The visuals are amazing, as is the story.

directed by Mamoru Hosoda who also directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

very recommended.

I've watched this movie three times before with my Ex. It's great, and I'm looking forward to its official release in English.

But I was wondering, does anybody know about the exclusives it comes with?

Funimation states,
"The first printing of this DVD edition of Summer Wars also comes packaged with a set of collectible Oz avatar art cards!"

However, Amazon makes no mention of it.

I just got my confirmation email for shipping the Blu I can not wait to see how the eng dub stands up to the amazing Japanese dub.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I've watched this movie three times before with my Ex. It's great, and I'm looking forward to its official release in English.

But I was wondering, does anybody know about the exclusives it comes with?

Funimation states,

However, Amazon makes no mention of it.[/QUOTE]

Amazon mentions "First Press includes collectible art cards." (on the DVD page anyway, not sure about the blu)

Well I feel like a twit. I wasn't even looking in the editorial review, just the details and promotions.

Thanks for pointing it out.

[quote name='jonlubbe']will attempt to keep the spoilers to a minimum, as its an amazing film.

Plot:
Boy goes to visit girls family during the summer. Girl lies to family that boy is her boyfriend. Boy slowly wins over family and girl. oh,
and some computer virus will kill everyone involved.

The visuals are amazing, as is the story.

directed by Mamoru Hosoda who also directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

very recommended.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Crap, I'd preorder now, but strapped on cash. I'm going to have to wait until next week. Hopefully it's still $20.

Thanks for the info, simpleblur. I will definitely keep an eye out for such sales in the future. I have only recently begun to expand past the classic anime and am constantly on the lookout for new stuff at a reasonable price. I've had this one on pre-order since it appeared on Amazon. I pretty much never pay $20 for a film, especially one I haven't seen, but I loved the art style from the trailer and all of the reviews I've seen have been glowing. Can't wait till Tuesday!

[quote name='thelonepig']I got mine today from Amazon. I've had it preordered for months and ended up with no slip cover and no cards. Now I'm annoyed.[/QUOTE]

That really sucks. I got my blu today, slip cover and all. I preordered maybe a month ago.

My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday. No slipcover, no cards. I didn't actually order it until a few days ago.

[quote name='slfc']My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday. No slipcover, no cards. I didn't actually order it until a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

D: This has me very concerned. I only preordered a day before its release.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']D: This has me very concerned. I only preordered a day before its release.[/QUOTE]

me too. after found out that there is slips and cards on the release day. i order it straight away. i hope mine got the slips thou. if it arrive with no slips tomorrow i might buy it from bestbuy.

[quote name='Snapps']slipcover came, i'm not so sure about the cards. could be inside the packaging.[/QUOTE]

There's a sticker on the slipcover that clearly states, "4 premium art cards inside!"

[quote name='thelonepig']I emailed Funi. Now let's just see if they respond.[/QUOTE]

I wish you well with that. It's messed up how they would send me one with the slip-cover/4 cards with preordering a day in advance... and you had it on reserve for months.

Wouldn't you need to contact Amazon though?

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I wish you well with that. It's messed up how they would send me one with the slip-cover/4 cards with preordering a day in advance... and you had it on reserve for months.

Wouldn't you need to contact Amazon though?[/QUOTE]

I contacted Amazon and they sent a replacement, no questions asked. It didn't have the slip cover or cards either.

Funi has yet to respond (and likely won't based on prior experience), but they did post on the Funi Blog that the slip cover (they call it the o-card) was supposed to come with all versions. You can sign up to get one here. Problem is, they don't have any place to specify whether it is the bluray or dvd slip cover you need.

What a mess.

[quote name='thelonepig']I emailed Funi. Now let's just see if they respond.[/QUOTE]

They are usually good about replacing slips. My Dragon Ball Season slip came badly damaged from Walmart, emailed them and they sent me a replacement. Got in 3-4 days? Pretty good service.

thelonepig: there is a drop-down menu right at the top to select Blu-ray or DVD.

Mine came from Amazon on Tuesday with slipcase and cards. Had it pre-ordered for a couple of months.

Really liked the movie!

They fixed the post to allow for selection of the bd/dvd. It wasn't there when I initially entered my information.

In other news, Funi got back to me and will be mailing out both items to me. :)

I don't know why this matters so much... :p

Uh oh. I'm expecting my copy early next week. I did pre-order it, albeit two days before it was released... Probably won't get a slipcase and will have to complain to Amazon about it. *sigh*

liked it a bit more than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It's a fun movie, lighthearded and carries a straightforward, albeit cheesy message. It's more visually satisfying than anything. 8/10

bread's done
Back