Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

Doug also said that when they pressed on doing a CE, and it was rejected due to sales figure concerned that they would try again if they got enough sales during the open preorder period
Well that's kind of a shoddy route... they won't know if they can do a CE unless the standard sales are good enough. And if they are good enough, and you want the CE, you basically have to buy the game again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's kind of a shoddy route... they won't know if they can do a CE unless the standard sales are good enough. And if they are good enough, and you want the CE, you basically have to buy the game again.
Yeah, I've been burned to many times by this exact statement, on the hopes the more wanted item would come later.........And It NEVER DOES!!!

So you're telling me to be a shitbag like a majority of you and buy 20 copies of this game to hopefully resell for $100 each during Christmas of next year? Like limited run video games are some sort of neckbeard stock portfolio?

No thanks. Good luck with your shady flipping, champs.
I've never been involved in this practice but am seriously almost considering doing this just to make you cry some more.

Pay attention to your own wallet Bernie and let people spend their money however they want.

I think he said that if that happened they would charge the difference for those who already bought it standard for the ce stuff, instead of making them rebuy the whole thing.

MarioOdyssey was good, but it wasn't "great"    To say it was some kind of second coming of SM64 is lacking; the levels/worlds had for me about 2-4 really good worlds; but alot of the other worlds were severely lacking in creativity and punch.     (if you prefer the open world explore mario levels)    

as for SM3DAS; how many copies will Nintendo produce physically?    Will they make more beyond this first shipment?    a shipment or two before christmas?   a shipment or two between Jan-March and then that's it?      how limited a run will nintendo produce; the mind boggles

only 1-2 mill?   2-4mill?   or less?

Worldwide? Probably at least 5 million with an option for 10 if initial shipments sell out. Obviously they will have to play it by ear so they don't end up having to landfill a bunch of copies to keep their "limited time only" promise.

as for SM3DAS; how many copies will Nintendo produce physically? Will they make more beyond this first shipment? a shipment or two before christmas? a shipment or two between Jan-March and then that's it? how limited a run will nintendo produce; the mind boggles
only 1-2 mill? 2-4mill? or less?
Not sure anyone knows (haven’t seen any numbers), but if it’s similar to the Mario anniversary game on Wii, it will sell out fast because of collectibility/ holiday scalping coming up. The one benefit that might make fewer people horde it is the lack of collectible or exclusive packaging.

I’m guessing you’ll be able to find it Day One in stores but it will be harder to find around Black Friday and really challenging to buy for MSRP as it gets closer to Christmas. Then, in late Janauary or early February it will magically reappear in smaller numbers (returns) before Nintendo stops sending new shipments by March.

Retailers in the UK are already canceling some preorders of the physical copy because they weren’t sent as many as anticipated. It’ll be interesting to see how many Nintendo actually puts out.

Nintendo is planning to have ~30M Switch consoles available this holiday season, so even if they have 10M copies of 3D All-Stars, one in three consumers will get it, not accounting for all of the consoles already in the wild.

I think it’ll make it easier to find but parents and relatives will still be buying physical copies for their kids at Christmas, etc. With the pandemic and limited shopping hours, who knows how all of this will play out with switch games, new consoles, etc.

I think having digital copies will make this more of a non-event in terms of scalping.
Maybe, but that wasn't the case for Katamari Reroll. Before it got a reprint it was a Gamestop exclusive and people were paying double or even triple the digital price just to have it physical.

Maybe, but that wasn't the case for Katamari Reroll. Before it got a reprint it was a Gamestop exclusive and people were paying double or even triple the digital price just to have it physical.
Yes, but even that was a while ago, and digital sales are clearly set to overtake physical games. With the pandemic hastening the change, I don't think owning physical matters nearly as much as you think it does.

I think it’ll make it easier to find but parents and relatives will still be buying physical copies for their kids at Christmas, etc. With the pandemic and limited shopping hours, who knows how all of this will play out with switch games, new consoles, etc.
I mean, Animal Crossing was sold out everywhere for a couple weeks. Switch was hard to find for months as well.

Seeing all the shocked Pikachu faces in games media about this selling out shows a lot of them weren't around for the 25th Mario Anniversary set for Wii. When Nintendo says the word limited alarm bells need to be ringing in your head.

Retailers in the UK are already canceling some preorders of the physical copy because they weren’t sent as many as anticipated. It’ll be interesting to see how many Nintendo actually puts out.

Nintendo is planning to have ~30M Switch consoles available this holiday season, so even if they have 10M copies of 3D All-Stars, one in three consumers will get it, not accounting for all of the consoles already in the wild.
There's already 60M or so Switch's in the wild so in your 10M physical copy print run scenario, that's 1/6 at launch and 1/9 if Nintendo sells the 30M systems they anticipate to sell.

I think having digital copies will make this more of a non-event in terms of scalping. The Game & Watch might be a different story.
For sure. There might be people who want physical and can't get it so they settle for digital rather than going to scalpers, as well as some people who would just prefer digital so they are no longer in contention for one of the limited number of physical copies in the first place.

Personally, I can get eShop credit at a discount, and I can launch on two switches at once. I know a lot of people say that if you own digital you're out of luck when the servers go offline but before that happens we can all buy second SD cards, redownload all of our games, and back up our SD cards to other storage media. Honestly the "fragile nature" of digital ownership is overstated.

yeah the only downsides to digital are if your switch gets stolen, you sometimes have to fuss at customer service to have you change primary systems

and the one most people worry about "what happens when they shut down the eshop servers", the response is usually "they wont" but thats technically as true as saying they will. 

if your physical cart of this game gets stolen or lost after march tho, youre shit out of luck. enjoy buying from a scalper. 

To answer both of you, then get both physical and digital

yeah the only downsides to digital are if your switch gets stolen, you sometimes have to fuss at customer service to have you change primary systems

and the one most people worry about "what happens when they shut down the eshop servers", the response is usually "they wont" but thats technically as true as saying they will.

if your physical cart of this game gets stolen or lost after march tho, youre shit out of luck. enjoy buying from a scalper.

i didnt ask anything, i was replying to the post above

but to people who are going to buy both versions, i would buy digital pronto if you want that pin set. i would not be shocked if they ran out on the release day of the physical copy

but to people who are going to buy both versions, i would buy digital pronto if you want that pin set. i would not be shocked if they ran out on the release day of the physical copy
"Man, I really wish I had those pins," is something I've never said and could never imagine saying... And I collect a *lot* of nonsense.

MarioOdyssey was good, but it wasn't "great" To say it was some kind of second coming of SM64 is lacking; the levels/worlds had for me about 2-4 really good worlds; but alot of the other worlds were severely lacking in creativity and punch. (if you prefer the open world explore mario levels)

as for SM3DAS; how many copies will Nintendo produce physically? Will they make more beyond this first shipment? a shipment or two before christmas? a shipment or two between Jan-March and then that's it? how limited a run will nintendo produce; the mind boggles
only 1-2 mill? 2-4mill? or less?
Odyssey wasn't the second coming of SM64 it was way better. Easily my favorite of the 3D games.

Something people don't think about but if your physical games get stolen, and you have insurance, your insurance company will usually pay to replace it. Have games on a console that was stolen and they'll only replace the console.

Something people don't think about but if your physical games get stolen, and you have insurance, your insurance company will usually pay to replace it. Have games on a console that was stolen and they'll only replace the console.
Uhh you’re going to file an insurance claim on something less than $500? What’s the deductible on that? How will it impact your future insurance rates. Probably not wise.

Damn I should have ordered to get the stickers, but grabbed a pre-order from GameStop today. Think it'll come with the joycon covers?
From what I can tell, all the versions with any type of extra really didn't last long at all. Target's version is in-store only but I don't think it was even up for store pick up (at least, not online).

yeah the only downsides to digital are if your switch gets stolen
:whistle2:k
lack of resale/trade value
more difficult to share with family members/friends
lack of physical product in collection
sizable chunk taken out of your microsd

For me, physical is absolutely the way to go for this one. Especially if I am correct in predicting the individual titles to be listed and sold individually after the "limited" digital product window is over. Also hoping to get Galaxy 2 this way.

Just can't bring myself to care about pins or stickers though.

Nintendo released another video:
https://youtu.be/NV0SOT9dYrw

They really need to find better hosts to promote this game >_>

I used to be the all physical no digital guy but then I had to move and I realized how annoying it is to move all that sh*t and how much space it takes up. I still prefer physical but Im not that “I refuse to buy something digital” guy I was before.

Odyssey wasn't the second coming of SM64 it was way better. Easily my favorite of the 3D games.
Respectfully disagree. I can remember all 15 levels of Super Mario 64, and probably only 5 from Odyssey despite playing it much more recently. Of course, I remember basically nothing at all from Sunshine and minimal from Galaxy, so maybe I'm just too old.

Respectfully disagree. I can remember all 15 levels of Super Mario 64, and probably only 5 from Odyssey despite playing it much more recently. Of course, I remember basically nothing at all from Sunshine and minimal from Galaxy, so maybe I'm just too old.
For me honestly while I played, beat and enjoyed Odyssey, my biggest issue with the game was it felt like the focused more on the adding as many collectables as possible instead of creating a tailored experience for each collectable. Like with 64, Sunshine and Galaxy each thing you collected felt like it's journey to get the item was hand crafted by someone. In Odyssey it felt more like they had so many in a level a lot of them just felt uninspired. Not hating on Odyssey, it's certainly still a fantastic game, but I enjoyed having 120 handcrafted collectibles than the how many hundreds were in Odyssey just scattered around.

Can't believe it's out on Friday. Really excited to finally be able to beat Sunshine.

yeah the only downsides to digital are if your switch gets stolen...
Yeah that and, if you're a collector or even would like to resell at some point when a better version of this game is released 10 more times on better systems, your digital copy will be worth absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Digital is convenient for sure, but a complete bust in the long run. Although companies releasing half finished games where patches are required right out of the gate isn't helping either.

Yeah that and, if you're a collector or even would like to resell at some point when a better version of this game is released 10 more times on better systems, your digital copy will be worth absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Digital is convenient for sure, but a complete bust in the long run. Although companies releasing half finished games where patches are required right out of the gate isn't helping either.
i already posted that the quote you took is just regarding the safety of your copyof this out of print game if youre willing to buy both

i didnt think multiple people would assume someone was decrying physical media on this website of all places

It's nice when you buy a game and 15 years later you can still play it 2 gens later because your game is linked to your account.

Nintendo knows their people will pay 60 dollars again for the same games they already paid for 15 years ago.

Yes I'm buying it. I'm not just here to troll post.

Where's this 2 gens later stuff coming from? From the N64 to Wii, you couldn't play the same games you bought on the hardware without rebuying them. You can't do the same for Wii, and there's no telling what will happen with the Switch games. The Wii U out of the box couldn't play GC games.

bread's done
Back