Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

Where's this 2 gens later stuff coming from? From the N64 to Wii, you couldn't play the same games you bought on the hardware without rebuying them. You can't do the same for Wii, and there's no telling what will happen with the Switch games. The Wii U out of the box couldn't play GC games.
Expectations have evolved. People that were unknowledgeable children are now unknowledgeable adults ... and we want our games from childhood. 😜

Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts? I want to know about things like load times and framerates and everything that was changed or stayed the same. I have seen graphics comparisons but they are very minimal and not very informative. I am sure digital foundry will put up a great video with all the info I want but just curious if anyone has come across a lot of confirmed facts about the game yet. Are the load times faster or longer? Are there any framerate problems? Any major changes people might hate or love? Any QOL improvements etc?

Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts? I want to know about things like load times and framerates and everything that was changed or stayed the same. I have seen graphics comparisons but they are very minimal and not very informative. I am sure digital foundry will put up a great video with all the info I want but just curious if anyone has come across a lot of confirmed facts about the game yet. Are the load times faster or longer? Are there any framerate problems? Any major changes people might hate or love? Any QOL improvements etc?
I’m pretty sure there is zero new content (for 64, might even be a removal of content). This is just a HD / Widescreen update where applicable. I’m going to tell you, preorder your copy now without waiting for reviews; you can always return it, but if it sells out, you’re SOL.

I do wonder what restocking will look like over the next six months with the pandemic. Hopefully everyone on here is able to get a physical copy if they wanted one...I think the value of this collection is quite high in Nintendo’s eyes, which would be less of incentive for them to push out a lot of copies.

Gone at bestbuy now?

I see the look for a store option now.

Looks like it gone everywhere now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered on Amazon a week ago with a expected date of Oct 2nd.

Now I got a email saying "We'll let you know when a date is decided"

I guess its gonna be cancelled eh?

Sucks - I guess I'll get it digitally when I buy my Switch this holiday.

I do wonder what restocking will look like over the next six months with the pandemic. Hopefully everyone on here is able to get a physical copy if they wanted one...I think the value of this collection is quite high in Nintendo’s eyes, which would be less of incentive for them to push out a lot of copies.
Are we even sure there will be a re stock? All Nintendo says is the physical will be limited and the digital edition will be available until the end of March. I think it would silly for them not to re stock it, but I don't know how limited the physical edition will truly be.

From Nintendo's website-
Super Mario™ 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021.

I ordered on Amazon a week ago with a expected date of Oct 2nd.

Now I got a email saying "We'll let you know when a date is decided"

I guess its gonna be cancelled eh?

Sucks - I guess I'll get it digitally when I buy my Switch this holiday.
There'll be restocks so I wouldn't worry. You'll get it, just a little later, that's all.

Nintendo wants this to be readily available for retail during the holidays. There will be several restocks between now and at least January.

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.  Seems different than previously rare Nintendo games or major releases.  What standard copy has been discussed as being rare day one?  Limited editions, sure, but this seems like what should just be the regular copy.  Nintendo is not just doing this once and done either, I think they will do this type of release for 3d all stars collection 2 next (Galaxy 2, 3d land and maybe one more?) and more franchises after that.  I wouldn’t count on restocks either.  I think it’s more likely than not, but this is new and I wouldn’t be surprised if none either.  You still have time to buy digital!

I’m guessing distribution will be wide enough that you’ll be able to find it day one at places like Target, Walmart and Best Buy ... wait a few days and it might get tough to find a copy if this is a one and done deal. Knowing Nintendo, they’ll drop another shipment before Black Friday at a select retailer or two.

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Seems different than previously rare Nintendo games or major releases. What standard copy has been discussed as being rare day one? Limited editions, sure, but this seems like what should just be the regular copy. Nintendo is not just doing this once and done either, I think they will do this type of release for 3d all stars collection 2 next (Galaxy 2, 3d land and maybe one more?) and more franchises after that. I wouldn’t count on restocks either. I think it’s more likely than not, but this is new and I wouldn’t be surprised if none either. You still have time to buy digital!
If you think Nintendo isn't going to restock 3DAS for the holidays, when they absolutely need to shift Switch units against the PS5 and Xbox Series launches, then you're not very good at making smart business decisions. Nintendo will reprint 3DAS through at least the 1st/2nd month of January and you'll be able to secure one if you want it.

This reminds me much more of how Nintendo handled the SNES Classic - where they came out and said it's limited but that they will make it available through a limited time, and encouraged folks not to buy from scalpers. 3DAS is far easier to reproduce than those classic consoles.

They'll be plenty enough to buy IF you consistently look for one. Don't buy into the super-limited discussion Nintendo wants you to believe. That's just marketing to drum up artificial supply shortage to create panic-buying demand.

If you think Nintendo isn't going to restock 3DAS for the holidays, when they absolutely need to shift Switch units against the PS5 and Xbox Series launches, then you're not very good at making smart business decisions. Nintendo will reprint 3DAS through at least the 1st/2nd month of January and you'll be able to secure one if you want it.

This reminds me much more of how Nintendo handled the SNES Classic - where they came out and said it's limited but that they will make it available through a limited time, and encouraged folks not to buy from scalpers. 3DAS is far easier to reproduce than those classic consoles.

They'll be plenty enough to buy IF you consistently look for one. Don't buy into the super-limited discussion Nintendo wants you to believe. That's just marketing to drum up artificial supply shortage to create panic-buying demand.
I never said I think they won’t restock, I said it’s most likely they will, but if you want the game, just preorder the few places left that you can and don’t count on it would be the best advice right now. What part of limited digital release is a smart business decision? If they aren’t “restocking” digital past a certain date when it costs them nothing, no one can say for sure what their plans for physical inventory are.

I never said I think they won’t restock, I said it’s most likely they will, but if you want the game, just preorder the few places left that you can and don’t count on it would be the best advice right now. What part of limited digital release is a smart business decision? If they aren’t “restocking” digital past a certain date when it costs them nothing, no one can say for sure what their plans for physical inventory are.
Sure, it's a smart business decision because Nintendo is causing consumers to panic buy. I'm skeptical 3DAS would be selling out like this if Nintendo hadn't announced it would stop offering the game come next March.

And on that, next March is a long way away. There is no conceivable scenario in which Nintendo doesn't restock this several times between now and then. It would be a terrible business move to harm Switch sales during a period when Nintendo will be going up against new slick next gen consoles from Sony and MS, both of which will be inundating consumers with ads left and right, day and night.

In short, it'll be readily available through the holidays. No one should be panic buying or creating multiple preorders unless they're trying to buy more than one.

You guys watch, 3D All-Stars will be widely available for $40 during Black Friday and we’ll all look like chumps with stickers !

I ordered one as a gift for my nephews. Should be here Friday. Haven't decided if I'm gonna get mine physical or digital, but they're gonna need physical, so...

The things we do for love.

I preordered right after the announcement at Best Buy for in store pickup. I'm concerned that they may not have enough copies so I may swing to GS today and throw $5 down for a backup copy. I'll report back if they are still taking preorders.

The question is if GameStop in-store preorders are done

Sure, it's a smart business decision because Nintendo is causing consumers to panic buy. I'm skeptical 3DAS would be selling out like this if Nintendo hadn't announced it would stop offering the game come next March.

And on that, next March is a long way away. There is no conceivable scenario in which Nintendo doesn't restock this several times between now and then. It would be a terrible business move to harm Switch sales during a period when Nintendo will be going up against new slick next gen consoles from Sony and MS, both of which will be inundating consumers with ads left and right, day and night.

In short, it'll be readily available through the holidays. No one should be panic buying or creating multiple preorders unless they're trying to buy more than one.
Yeah, I agree don’t panic, there will probably be restocks, but I also don’t see much point in waiting if you want it. If Nintendo’s long term strategy is to create an LRG mystique and encourage panic buying now and for future releases like this, there are plenty of ways a limited physical release would be just as “smart business” as a limited digital release. They don’t need any help selling switches right now or around the holidays. I just think this is an interesting move and how it plays out could be a partial glimpse of a “Nintendo Vault” future.

You guys watch, 3D All-Stars will be widely available for $40 during Black Friday and we’ll all look like chumps with stickers !
Nah, that's the whole point of marketing it as limited. Nintendo can charge full price and everyone will buy it anyway.

Nah, that's the whole point of marketing it as limited. Nintendo can charge full price and everyone will buy it anyway.
Careful, I said this earlier in the thread and triggered people. This is also a "deals" thread not a full price thread but here we are. (And yes, again, I am buying this but I'm allowed to complain so everybody chill out).

sh7f98gm54n51.jpg

3D All-Stars $49.94 in store at Walmart. Obviously locked for sale at the register. 

Careful, I said this earlier in the thread and triggered people. This is also a "deals" thread not a full price thread but here we are. (And yes, again, I am buying this but I'm allowed to complain so everybody chill out).
OG CAG members would agree with this poster. “Deals” like this should really be on the switch board.

OG CAG members would agree with this poster. “Deals” like this should really be on the switch board.
Limited products are usually considered deals at MSRP, given the jump from scalpers that usually occurs. Same deal with the Game and Watch, etc.

CAG has become broken because of the mega threads imo. We rarely see individual deals posted anymore and great deals get lost in the console threads, so I don’t mind having specific threads like this one every now and again.

walmart selling the game for 49.96; those idiots!    lol.       collecting games is fun.    preorder for peace of mind.     get your copy today; because super mario 3d all stars is the bomb y'all!

So Im not smart enough to get into the hype/supply/demand debates, but I got my preorders in. The guy at gs said he was surprised at how many copies they were shipped. Many of the newer release games have been in short supply, with only a handful extra besides existing preorders, and all I know is about a month or so ago, animal crossing was selling for over 69 bucks, and was consistently out of stock locally, didnt expect to see that on a normal release, and sm3d is limited?

This is likely just a spot they tagged already, but haven't stocked yet. Their registers usually won't let games be rung up before release day. Retailers can face big penalties for breaking street dates.
Does Walmart still sell their games at midnight of the release date?

So how many people were able to get 3D all-stars retail? Guessing GS won't have an early Thursday release since it's Nintendo...

Mario Kart Live are both up on wal-Mart for Pre Order as of 5am EST
I just can't justify wasting "real money" on this when I have a bunch of "funny GS money", but it's tempting! I'm sure flippers/scalpers are ringing up thousands of $ on pre-orders.

I think my boys convinced the neighbors to buy a set themselves... but if these kits take off, hopefully they release cheaper "cars only" kits of Peach / Toad / Bowser / Baby Mario / etc - or karts with multi rider options!

So Im not smart enough to get into the hype/supply/demand debates, but I got my preorders in. The guy at gs said he was surprised at how many copies they were shipped. Many of the newer release games have been in short supply, with only a handful extra besides existing preorders, and all I know is about a month or so ago, animal crossing was selling for over 69 bucks, and was consistently out of stock locally, didnt expect to see that on a normal release, and sm3d is limited?
There's a limited window to purchase it, not a limited number of copies.

I just can't justify wasting "real money" on this when I have a bunch of "funny GS money", but it's tempting! I'm sure flippers/scalpers are ringing up thousands of $ on pre-orders.

I think my boys convinced the neighbors to buy a set themselves... but if these kits take off, hopefully they release cheaper "cars only" kits of Peach / Toad / Bowser / Baby Mario / etc - or karts with multi rider options!
Paying $100 for a wifi controlled camera equiped RC car with AR functionality and software made by Nintendo seems easier to justify based on hardware alone than a software bundle of three old games..

That said, I also recognize that the 3D all stars represents potentially 10s of hours of replay nostalgia and enjoyment, while there's a good chance my kid and I will race these cars maybe 10 times ever.

i happened to be at a gamestop a couple hours after the announcement, preordered there

im gonna keep it sealed and wait to see if i can get it from walmart though

bread's done
Back