Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

Stopped by Walmart, they didn’t have any and the worker there said that it was delayed. Not sure how true that is but wasn’t going to argue. Then went to target down the street and they had at least 20 locked up. Best bet is to go straight to Target if hunting for one.

Just got back from my Walmart, and they had 15-20 copies, and I was the only one in electronics at the time who seemed even mildly interested in this game. So I would think this should be pretty easy to get, but who knows? I just put in to cancel my Amazon order, and of course they have to figure out if it's possible, even though it's not due to arrive for days, and has not shipped.

Maybe this got answered a while ago, but is this game actually worth it?  Is it because of the first Galaxy Game or because people just generally feel each game is well worth $20 each to be able to play on a current gen device? 

Maybe this got answered a while ago, but is this game actually worth it? Is it because of the first Galaxy Game or because people just generally feel each game is well worth $20 each to be able to play on a current gen device?
Worth it is really subjective and will differ per person. If you haven’t played any of these games I say it’s worth it as all 3 games are excellent. If you have already played all 3 then there really is only the nostalgia factor when replaying these and that would be up to you if it’s worth the price. Plus add on that Nintendo said this is a “limited” release so it’s possible that you may find it cheaper later on, but also possible it may never go on sale before it’s all sold out.

I never have cared for 64 all that much, but I'd be much more likely to play this version than the original or ds remake. Same with Sunshine and Galaxy. Having them on Switch in one package and no forced motion controls on Galaxy....made it worth $50 for me.

Mine arrived on time today (though UPS showed up just as I was supposed to starting a meeting haha).  Decided to boot up Mario 64 for a little bit during lunch.  I'm about 30 minutes in and... I really hope this is just me needing an adjustment phase for a game I spent countless hours on because so far the controls are clunkier/less responsive and somehow they made the camera worse...

You forget about people who get store discounts, buy products using discounted gift cards, use cash back sites as well as stack with a cashback card, buy bulk directly from distributors and you could save another $5-$10. It adds it if you maximize discounts and avenues.

Some people also drop ship so they aren't paying for shipping cost.
Also don’t forget people who by whatever nefarious means manage to get a case or two of games that fall off a back of a truck or out the back of the store. It happens more often than you’d think.

In all honesty Galaxy has not aged well nor do I like the camera system and I think the functionality of the left and right trigger should be switched.

My copy was delivered in the last 20mins.  One of my kids brought it in.  So, going with BB paid off yet again.  I mean, I didn't save any money but I'm not a prime member so it's nice getting prime like (at least pre-pandemic prime) release day delivery without paying for prime.

Will likely play some tonight.  :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

In all honesty Galaxy has not aged well nor do I like the camera system and I think the functionality of the left and right trigger should be switched.
I haven't played Galaxy since it originally came out so I don't know if it's me or this port of the game but Mario's momentum feels off. Also, I'm a 100% portable player and I wish they mapped the pointer control to the otherwise useless right analog. Not happy having to touch my screen all the time.

Not sure if anyone posted it, but someone sold a copy on eBay for 10k lmao. There are like two other 10k listings, one claims they are donating to charity but I didn’t seem any other details about which one.

On a related note, for anyone looking for a copy. Walmart has it was $49.94. Target and Best Buy will gladly price match if you show them their online price, and then you can use the red card at target for 5% off.

Edit: I tried to upload a screenshot, but it’s not working on mobile for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got notice that my Walmart in store pick up was ready at around 2:30 so I ran and go it at 3. Brickseek and Walmart.com still show none in stock within ~50 miles except 1 or 2 stores in RI. None on the shelves in my store, no shelf tags in the case even, and my pick up was individually sealed like it had been shipped to store rather than coming off the truck(not sure if that's normal). 

Just spent the last few hours playing and I'm happy enough with the set. I only checked out Mario 64 and Sunshine since those are the two games I have the best memories with and feel the most nostalgia for. Mario 64 looks and plays just as it should. Mario Sunshine still somehow manages to capture the absolute best and worst of 3D Mario titles and can fluctuate between those two extremes several times in the span of a few minutes. The camera can be a nightmare and it's awfully difficult to make precise moves, but in terms of exploration and just playing around in 3D space (which is my personal favorite element of 3D Mario games) it is far and away the best in the series. Delfino Plaza is simply a joy and it was a great experience to let my 4-year old sun literally go to town in that playspace. 

I wouldn't have minded some more visual enhancements and some legitimate bonus features (some insight into the development of the games would have been lovely) but in terms of an absolute bare bones anniversary set, it gets the job done.

UPS just dropped my copy off about an hour ago which I had pre ordered on Best Buy as soon as it went up. So much entertainment in one package that can be played on the go or the big screen. Awesome!
119459535_4443665509009087_4369909523666242413_o.jpg
119508938_4443666829008955_1562549611559310657_o.jpg

Just spent the last few hours playing and I'm happy enough with the set. I only checked out Mario 64 and Sunshine since those are the two games I have the best memories with and feel the most nostalgia for. Mario 64 looks and plays just as it should. Mario Sunshine still somehow manages to capture the absolute best and worst of 3D Mario titles and can fluctuate between those two extremes several times in the span of a few minutes. The camera can be a nightmare and it's awfully difficult to make precise moves, but in terms of exploration and just playing around in 3D space (which is my personal favorite element of 3D Mario games) it is far and away the best in the series. Delfino Plaza is simply a joy and it was a great experience to let my 4-year old sun literally go to town in that playspace.

I wouldn't have minded some more visual enhancements and some legitimate bonus features (some insight into the development of the games would have been lovely) but in terms of an absolute bare bones anniversary set, it gets the job done.
Can the water/aiming camera be inverted in this release? I might be misremembering the Gamecube version, but I distinctly recall that option was omitted and it really hurt my enjoyment. Hard to rewire the brain/muscle's memory after so many years of FPSs.

Worth it is really subjective and will differ per person. If you haven’t played any of these games I say it’s worth it as all 3 games are excellent. If you have already played all 3 then there really is only the nostalgia factor when replaying these and that would be up to you if it’s worth the price. Plus add on that Nintendo said this is a “limited” release so it’s possible that you may find it cheaper later on, but also possible it may never go on sale before it’s all sold out.
Yup I agree with what you said. And I should have been more descriptive in my previous post.

I just mean "worth it" in a real general sense. With all respect to subjectivity, if someone asked if a brand new Mercedes was "worth it" for $15k that would be an easy "yes." I guess this is not an easy yes, which surprises me because of all the hype (including a 50-plus page thread on CAG for an MSRP title).

Is it a "deal" to get these 3 games for $20 a piece? I'm not sure. I think the highest price for an "easy yes" would be about $10 a piece for each game...like if the collection was $30. But since I'm not the most knowledgeable on all things Nintendo I was deferring to the Nintendo veterans to ask if these games are a good/great deal at $20 a piece.

Don't forget to claim your Mario pin set by completing the quests and collecting the gold coins for the game. Digital copies should be automatic for coins, physical need to be claimed on the console.

Was able to price match WM's $49.94 price with BB through live chat. Had some difficulties at first since the rep couldn't see the Walmart price, only third-party sellers. I figured out that he had to put in my zip code first, and then the price appeared below a third-party's price of $79.99.

-Update- WM price no longer showing up for me. Glad I got that pm in when I did.

Don't forget to claim your Mario pin set by completing the quests and collecting the gold coins for the game. Digital copies should be automatic for coins, physical need to be claimed on the console.
Has this worked for everyone? Claimed my coins hours ago, and still nothing

Can the water/aiming camera be inverted in this release? I might be misremembering the Gamecube version, but I distinctly recall that option was omitted and it really hurt my enjoyment. Hard to rewire the brain/muscle's memory after so many years of FPSs.
As far as I can tell it cannot be adjusted.

Of course my Amazon order didn't ship until today and just now updated to expected delivery being tomorrow or Sunday. Having a lot of issues with Amazon delivery lately.

I did an in-store pickup at Target. And they had someone from electronics run the magnets up to customer service. One Target location said they never received the magnets.

It's gonna be an uncommon game, versus all the popularity.

I'm not convinced Nintendo will keep making copies, as they say limited.  I believe them.

Nintendo is simply promoting their eShop.  People who can't buy physical will buy from eShop.  Creating a limited physical game is spectacular, in their eyes.  It introduces new customers to their Eshop, and with that .. TADA!! ... Nintendo Online.  $20 / year, sign up today, get retro games (just not SM 3D all stars games), sign up today!

And it's likely they will add N64 and GameCube titles, as their emulators are now known.  The physical will still be hard to find. (excluding scalpers, burn baby burn.)  IMO Most people who bought this game are keeping it.

It's gonna be an uncommon game, versus all the popularity.

I'm not convinced Nintendo will keep making copies, as they say limited. I believe them.

Nintendo is simply promoting their eShop. People who can't buy physical will buy from eShop. Creating a limited physical game is spectacular, in their eyes. It introduces new customers to their Eshop, and with that .. TADA!! ... Nintendo Online. $20 / year, sign up today, get retro games (just not SM 3D all stars games), sign up today!

And it's likely they will add N64 and GameCube titles, as their emulators are now known. The physical will still be hard to find. (excluding scalpers, burn baby burn.) IMO Most people who bought this game are keeping it.
The digital copy will also be available for a limited time, so how are they promoting the eshop if you can't buy the game on eshop as well?

So my game just arrived.

Typical Amazon... nothing else in box, can see the game at the bottom.. could have placed 50 in this box lol

[attachment=34618:IMG_6849.jpg]

The digital copy will also be available for a limited time, so how are they promoting the eshop if you can't buy the game on eshop as well?
Yep, any Switch with a digital copy of 3D All-Stars will self destruct at the end of March. :bomb:

You answered your own question. Eshop until March/April. Something else after that, IMO.

Got lucky at Wally World. There was about 10 copies in the shelf. Now, I need to return my 3 preorders (in case wm didn't work out).

Man, wouldn't that be something? Anyways, if you've not bought a Switch, really, the smarter move would be just to wait for the Switch many of us have been waiting for which is coming next year.
Seems I need to do some research. There's another Switch incoming?!

Nice prize. I haven't used the Switch since April and that was LoZ. I may need a refresher on the quests and such.

My copy just arrived. I can't play this late, but I did jump on Sunshine for a minute to test the controls. Feels good to me with a Pro Controller. Spam (shotgun) spray is R + A.

Man I hate FedEx, last sighted in states away on Monday with no update but since it's shitpost it will likely randomly show up in the mailbox one day. More concerned about them losing the free magnets than the actual game LOL.

Seems I need to do some research. There's another Switch incoming?!
It's all rumors and speculation. There is a potential graphics chip that can do better resolution docked and then upscale to 4k on the cheap for Nintendo, but I won't hold my breath. Nintendo is doing fine without it (being realistic).

Another rumor is a Switch as handheld that has higher resolution / better screen. I'm not seeing it cost-wise. But it could happen. It's all rumors and speculation, again.. Some say 2021, some say 2022 .. at one time it was even rumored for 2020. It's all here-say at this point. No time soon, IMO.

Mine "shipped" from BB yesterday. Says expected delivery today.

Stuck on "label created"
Mine was the same yesterday. Called customer service and they verified that UPS had it. This morning woke up with a shipping delayed email but at least it shows up that it's moving. It's coming from northern California so wonder if the fires delayed it. Scheduled for a Monday delivery.

My copy was delivered in the last 20mins. One of my kids brought it in. So, going with BB paid off yet again. I mean, I didn't save any money but I'm not a prime member so it's nice getting prime like (at least pre-pandemic prime) release day delivery without paying for prime.
Amazon is pretty useless more often than not even with Prime, as they contacted me yesterday to say my son's copy would be delayed a few days. So I just opted to not risk them saying they sold out, so grabbed from Walmart and saved $10 in the process. If it would have been to play now, I probably wouldn't have even used them to begin with, I just wanted to lock in a copy when I had the chance.

Yup I agree with what you said. And I should have been more descriptive in my previous post.

I just mean "worth it" in a real general sense. With all respect to subjectivity, if someone asked if a brand new Mercedes was "worth it" for $15k that would be an easy "yes." I guess this is not an easy yes, which surprises me because of all the hype (including a 50-plus page thread on CAG for an MSRP title).

Is it a "deal" to get these 3 games for $20 a piece? I'm not sure. I think the highest price for an "easy yes" would be about $10 a piece for each game...like if the collection was $30. But since I'm not the most knowledgeable on all things Nintendo I was deferring to the Nintendo veterans to ask if these games are a good/great deal at $20 a piece.
For someone who hasn't played any of the three, sure, I think this is a solid buy, so long as the games perform properly, which seems open to dispute at the moment. For me personally, I would probably buy this as a greatest hits at $20, but since it's limited, I'm SOL! I can play M64 on my Shield Portable perfectly, with high resolution as well. Sunshine I really only played once, and that was by choice, as I didn't like it that much. And Galaxy 1 along with M64 are probably top 3 "3D" Mario titles for me(G2 rounding out the top), and I would be happy to pay $20 to get that for the Switch, but that's another option not on the table.

A Galaxy 1 & 2 bundle for $40 as is, or some form of upgrade option for $60 would have been great, but I just can't support such low end offerings at full retail. But I also still have G1 & G2 on my Wii, so I would love to have both portable, so maybe down the road if it happens? There's was actually an official release of Galaxy for Android years back(China exclusive I believe?), and if I looked in to it, I could probably get it to run on my Shield as well.

So my game just arrived.

Typical Amazon... nothing else in box, can see the game at the bottom.. could have placed 50 in this box lol

Welcome to Holiday level packaging, as it only gets worse from here. LOL

Mine had tons of copies. No issues here. 

Not sure if this was posted already (and a bit off topic), but I don't see it on Best Buy's website. 

Pokemon Sword/Shield & XenoBlade Chronicles are marked at $40 dollars in store, but show $60 online. 

It's all rumors and speculation. There is a potential graphics chip that can do better resolution docked and then upscale to 4k on the cheap for Nintendo, but I won't hold my breath. Nintendo is doing fine without it (being realistic).

Another rumor is a Switch as handheld that has higher resolution / better screen. I'm not seeing it cost-wise. But it could happen. It's all rumors and speculation, again.. Some say 2021, some say 2022 .. at one time it was even rumored for 2020. It's all here-say at this point. No time soon, IMO.
There's a guy on twitter that translates the JP Nintendo investor calls (supposedly he is reputable) , I guess there are some slight hints at a new system in the call.

RGT85 posted his video describing it. Was going to post the video here, but after listening to his video it seems like it's more speculation than actual evidence.. but the way it's worded it does seem to lean towards a new system.

Stumbled upon one at a Target in the area I was in today.  I got the magnets too. I can't wait to get on this, I only played Mario Galaxy back in the day and I got half way through Sunshine. Never really played Mario 64, only random levels at friends houses.

bread's done
Back