Super Mario Advance voice effects... ugh!

Zing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have recently acquired a DS. I have about a dozen DS games and have started to check out older GBA games I missed out on. Today I decided to scope out the Super Mario Advance games. When these games were originally released, I mocked them for their obvious milking of the franchise and absurd naming convention. These days, I wouldn't mind having portable versions of the great Mario games.

I read some reviews... everything looks ok. I download gameplay videos of each game...

What. The. fuck.

Whoever programmed these games absolutely ruined them with their constant and inane voice effects. Yoshi's Island, probably the best platform game ever RUINED by some idiotic voice effect every time he does ANYTHING. Super Mario Bros 2, my second favorite in the Mario series UNPLAYABLE due to a non-stop stream of "hyaa" and "thank you".

Whoever programmed these versions need to be locked in a concrete room with nothing but a set a speakers and these voice effects played over and over until the end of time.

Needless to say, I crossed these games off my buy list.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Turn the volume down and get over yourself.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because not only do I desperately want to re-buy a game I already own on a different system, but I want to play it without sound or music.

[quote name='Rocko']Lol @ you calling Yoshi's Island ruined due to some sound effects.[/QUOTE]
This. If you're that easily annoyed, good luck with life.

Perhaps simply watching a demo brought it to your attention more than when it's actually being played. It didn't seem to bother anyone who's played through it.

You should choose your favorite of all the SMA releases and at least try that one out. If it still bothers you while you're playing, then give up on the rest of the series.

FYI: I thought SMB3 was the greatest of all the SMB until I played it again as SMA4. I guess all my memories of the game were intertwined with Super Mario World's gameplay, because I couldn't wait until SMB3 was done this time around. My personal suggestion would be to start with Super Mario World.

At least for most of the games they kept the jumping noises in; that and the power-up sound are really the 2 staples of 2D Mario audio. Also Birdo talking in SMA is a bit odd, since "she" doesn't in any other game... I guess it could be justified since the game's just a really bizarre dream.

Seriously, you're going to let some minor sound effects get in the way of playing some of the best games of all time, and in portable form? ;)

When I had picked up a GBA + Mario Advance on launch 7 years ago (omg, 7 years?) I thought the sound effects were really awesome.

That's the point of upgrading ports of games.
Notice how Peach has blonde hair now instead of that dirty red hair in the original? (Though, I believe they DID change this in the Mario All Stars version of this too)

Watch this video:
http://pocketmovies.ign.com/pocket/video/yoshisisland_091002_3.mov

Seriously. Did we need Yoshi to say "hup" every single time he jumps? "Yum"? "Yaa"? These were all totally unnecessary. It's like they felt bad for rehashing the same game so they added these little voices to make it an "upgrade".

Baby Mario's cry is fitting as it increases the urgency of rescuing him and gives you a real incentive for not getting hit.

I don't see why these voices are so annoying because I did not notice them while playing SMA3 ( Amazing game) or Yoshi's Island DS. I think they were more of a pointless add-on. I seriously don't think those noises would keep a person from enjoying such a great game.

[quote name='Zing']Watch this video:
http://pocketmovies.ign.com/pocket/video/yoshisisland_091002_3.mov

Seriously. Did we need Yoshi to say "hup" every single time he jumps? "Yum"? "Yaa"? These were all totally unnecessary. It's like they felt bad for rehashing the same game so they added these little voices to make it an "upgrade".

Baby Mario's cry is fitting as it increases the urgency of rescuing him and gives you a real incentive for not getting hit.[/quote]

I am pretty sure it's the same in the original Yoshi's Island. I played Super Mario World without getting this worked up about.

[quote name='Rocko']Did you expect this video to prove a point or something?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm old, but I remember a time when these forums didn't quietly accept people with raging hard-ons for shitting on other people's threads. I swear, it's like some people actively search out threads to wipe their ass with.

Anyway, thread is over, "Rocko".
mission20accomplishedgj0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I played most of the GBA ports either when they came out or shortly thereafter and never really noticed the voices.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is more annoying in terms of yelling and whatnot but even then it isn't enough to make me dislike the game.

I'm surprised everyone else is telling the OP to GTFO himself. I didn't mind the Yoshi's Island port since it's mostly just Yoshi making funny noises, but the Mario and Luigi voices in SMW Advance nearly killed it for me. They're incredibly annoying, and anyone who disagrees must have not been playing with the sound on.

I for one, though, share your pain, Zing. It's worth it to have some of the best 2D games ever made in portable form, but man... what were they thinking?

Didn't bother me at all. Could have done with out them, but they didn't annoy me or lessen my enjoyment of the game--they just didn't add anything either.

[quote name='Zing']Maybe I'm old, but I remember a time when these forums didn't quietly accept people with raging hard-ons for shitting on other people's threads. I swear, it's like some people actively search out threads to wipe their ass with.

Anyway, thread is over, "Rocko".[/quote]

Just not sure what you expected that video to prove. You made a thread bitching about sound effects and how they make the game unplayable, terrible, not worth the money, blah, blah, blah. People tell you they've played the game and think you're completely overreacting... so you post a video of the game. Did you expect everyone to say "Oh, shit, you're right! I forgot they were annoying!"

It's just completely ridiculous to suggest that the sound effects can ruin the game.

[quote name='Rocko']Did you expect everyone to say "Oh, shit, you're right! I forgot they were annoying!"[/QUOTE]
Honestly, yes. Look to this very thread for proof that some people have the memory capacity of a fruit fly. Someone actually stated that the original Yoshi's Island had these sound effects!

Hint: It doesn't.

Wow, I don't remember any of the sound effects from a random game I played 10 years ago, I guess I must have amnesia!

He made a rather reasonable guess (he didn't say he was sure, re-read his post) that since he didn't notice anything different, that they were the same. This shows that the sound effects in the two games were so trivial that he wouldn't even notice.

EDIT: I played the SMA games for GBA and I can honestly not remember being bothered by sound effects. If you want to remove the sound effects, fine. Turn off the GBA and download the OST or something. Whining here is not going to fix anything.

[quote name='Rocko']Just not sure what you expected that video to prove. You made a thread bitching about sound effects and how they make the game unplayable, terrible, not worth the money, blah, blah, blah. People tell you they've played the game and think you're completely overreacting... so you post a video of the game. Did you expect everyone to say "Oh, shit, you're right! I forgot they were annoying!"

It's just completely ridiculous to suggest that the sound effects can ruin the game.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that the sound effects somehow make the game unplayable.

Given what "unplayable" actually means, I'm even more confused now. I'm not quite sure how Mario's "Woo-hoo!" noises would make your D-pad melt or your system explode, but that's one hell of an accomplishment in programming. :applause:

It's obvious that some people care and some don't. As someone who, as a 12 year old, scoured stores for weeks to acquire the holy grail of games in 1988, Super Mario Bros 2, because Nintendo was only shipping 5 copies per store every other week, and carried around that first issue of Nintendo Power like it was his bible, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the sound effects I hear in Super Mario Advance have ruined the experience for me and rendered the game intolerable.

In other words, I care.

I still can't believe the animosity here. Yes, I was whining. That was the whole point of the thread. I thought maybe others shared my feelings. I am glad to see that some do. I also expected some people to not care. However, I didn't expect people to spit venom. Maybe Jack Thompson is on to something after all.

You really don't see what a high horse you're putting yourself on, by insinuating that sound effects can ruin a video game? That's just ridiculous. WhipSmartBanky hit it on the head in the third post. It would be different if you were bitching about some game that's shitty to begin with, but these games are established as the cream of the Mario crop.

[quote name='Zing']It's obvious that some people care and some don't. As someone who, as a 12 year old, scoured stores for weeks to acquire the holy grail of games in 1988, Super Mario Bros 2, because Nintendo was only shipping 5 copies per store every other week, and carried around that first issue of Nintendo Power like it was his bible, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the sound effects I hear in Super Mario Advance have ruined the experience for me and rendered the game intolerable.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, that doesn't make you special. I've had an NES in my house since I was five. I've had the Mario games that entire time, and played them more times than I can count. And the sound effects don't bother me at all.

I think the part that you're missing is that it's the same game. Yes, they've added sound effects...but the music, the gameplay, the levels, the graphics, and virtually every other aspect of the games are unchanged or, at most, were updated slightly to try and take advantage of the more powerful hardware. The (game)play's the thing, and that's one element of the games that, in all of their incarnations on the NES, SNES, GBA, and who knows where else, doesn't change. Period.

If something that small is enough to "ruin" a game for you, then you should really find another hobby. Here's a hint: don't ever play Super Mario 64, or any of the Sonic games that came out after the Genesis era.

As for why you think people are "spitting venom" at you...given that the solution is as simple as either (a) moving the volume slider on your DS or (b) downloading the original soundtracks from one of who knows how many websites and listening to it from a CD or MP3 player and you seem to be blissfully ignoring the fact that that's been mentioned here half a dozen times or so, are you really surprised?

Oh, wait, that's not the problem. You're bitching about a minor element of a game you don't even own. Maybe that's it.

[quote name='Zing']As someone who, as a 12 year old, scoured stores for weeks to acquire the holy grail of games in 1988, Super Mario Bros 2, because Nintendo was only shipping 5 copies per store every other week, and carried around that first issue of Nintendo Power like it was his bible, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the sound effects I hear in Super Mario Advance have ruined the experience for me and rendered the game intolerable.

In other words, I care.[/quote]

If you cared that much about Mario, why did you care so much about a sprite-swapped Doki Doki Panic instead of skip the obvious cash-in?

[quote name='Rocko']You really don't see what a high horse you're putting yourself on, by insinuating that sound effects can ruin a video game? That's just ridiculous. WhipSmartBanky hit it on the head in the third post. It would be different if you were bitching about some game that's shitty to begin with, but these games are established as the cream of the Mario crop.[/QUOTE]
Imagine that every time you jump, you get a painful electric shock. Unplayable, right? Now imagine that instead of an electric shock, the game plays a noise that equally grating to your senses. Also, unplayable.

I don't think the sounds are quite that bad, but I can see OP's point. Playing a sound effect at regular intervals that drives you nuts can ruin a game.

[quote name='Zing']Maybe I'm old, but I remember a time when these forums didn't quietly accept people with raging hard-ons for shitting on other people's threads. I swear, it's like some people actively search out threads to wipe their ass with.
[/quote]

Yeah, there are some total douchebags in this thread. You have to remember that, when posting on a video game forum, most of the other posters are going to be either kids or socially inept adults that act like kids.

Although I disagree with your post, I can see where you're coming from.

[quote name='pete5883']Imagine that every time you jump, you get a painful electric shock. Unplayable, right? Now imagine that instead of an electric shock, the game plays a noise that equally grating to your senses. Also, unplayable.

I don't think the sounds are quite that bad, but I can see OP's point. Playing a sound effect at regular intervals that drives you nuts can ruin a game.[/quote]

Now imagine if you could turn the electric jolts off and the game was EXACTLY THE SAME.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']Although I disagree with your post, I can see where you're coming from.[/quote]

There are five solutions here:
  • play the GBA game and suck it up or turn off the sound
  • play the NES version
  • play the Mario All-Stars version
  • play it on the Virtual Console
  • don't play it

Three of those involve playing the game without sound effects. They may not be portable, but our buddy Zing here has made it clear that he's not interested in obvious milking of the franchise and absurd naming conventions that ruin the game and render it unplayable.

Do let us know when your done trying to prove your point by suggesting everyone is twelve years old, won't you?

Trust me, we aren't saying he is wrong to troll or flame him, we are saying it because he, well, is. This isn't GameFAQs or /b/ or VS. There have been several solutions to the problem presented, but the TC won't listen and expects the world to reverse engineer his DS cart (that he hasn't bought yet) and reflash it with a new version of the game without jumping sound effects.

Honestly TC, just give the game a try.

[quote name='Rocko']Do let us know when your done trying to prove your point by suggesting everyone is twelve years old, won't you?[/quote]

You have to remember that, when posting on a video game forum, most of the other posters are going to be either kids or socially inept adults that act like kids.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']Not really. I guess you proved my point, though.[/quote]
I guess I did. Your reply to my post was not at all childish or riddled with irony! Touché.

Anyway, I should probably make sure this thread doesn't get derailed any further and leave the brats alone. I think a lot of people here don't realize that a video game is a piece of art just like any other piece of entertainment, and people like it for different reasons. It's an overall EXPERIENCE, and people take different things away from that experience. The sound effects don't especially bother me, but I did notice them. However, if they changed even just the music, it would definitely turn me off from the game a bit, as I'm playing it to relive the experience I had in my childhood. I think that's a perfectly understandable idea, and even if the case of sound effects is different for you (it is with me), I think it's easy enough to see where the thread starter is coming from.

So, after buying and playing these games, I have some new thoughts. Yes, the "new" voices are annoying and stupid, particularly in Super Mario Bros 2 and Yoshi's Island. However, by far the most troubling aspect of the games for me is the modified music. The GBA MIDI synth is not the same as the SNES and it shows. Music like the drums when you are riding on Yoshi in Super Mario World is just plain crap. The music in the tower/ghost house/etc levels is absolutely atrocious to the point where it hurts.

You're not the only one that is bothered by the new voices. I only own SM3 and World for the GBA, and I noticed it right away. It's not bad enough to not play the games, but it's a minor annoyance every time I pick up a power-up.

I own the Mario All-stars for SNES, but my main reason for getting the GBA ones was solely for the portability.

bread's done
Back