Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Why do people always overreact like this when someone says something negative about Wii graphics.

I mean the post you quoted above ended with this:

Just wishing that graphics could be a bit better doesn't mean people aren't still enjoying the game or that they are putting graphics as their first priority.

It's just saying, "Damn this is a great game, but I do wish the graphics were a bit better on my HDTV."

But I guess to some people any negative comment on their console of choice is an outrageous affront and the person who made it should just sell the console etc. etc.[/QUOTE]
??? I was commenting along with him. I don't see anything in my response that seems too harsh. My guess is that you're the one overreacting, sparky, especially with assumptions: I don't know you well, but you seem to think you've got a handle on my "console of choice." You're wrong of course, but that won't keep you from keepin' on.

Someone earlier mentioned that you start up a new game with 3 lives. It's 5. And so far every time I've booted up my save file, the little mailman toad near the start of the observatory has given me an additional 5up. So I've started with 10up each time.

[quote name='dothog']??? I was commenting along with him. I don't see anything in my response that seems too harsh. My guess is that you're the one overreacting, sparky, especially with assumptions: I don't know you well, but you seem to think you've got a handle on my "console of choice." You're wrong of course, but that won't keep you from keepin' on.
[/QUOTE]

In that case, my bad. I just read it as you bashing him for looking for jaggies or caring about them at all, even though he said gameplay was still king.

I just get annoyed with people always jumping all over anyone who has anything negative to say about the Wii.

It happens in every forum here, but the Nintendo one's seem even worse. Maybe PS3 is worse since it's in last place, but I don't venture in there often.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I expected perfect 10s.

Oh well. I guess its a skip. I've changed my signature back as well.[/quote]

No offense, but either you're an idiot or being sarcastic.

Scores don't matter any way. The game seems to be better than most games that have gotten 10/10s based on its glowing reviews.

I can't remember one game in recent history that has gotten perfect 10s, lol.

[quote name='leveskikesko']No offense, but either you're an idiot or being sarcastic.

Scores don't matter any way. The game seems to be better than most games that have gotten 10/10s based on its glowing reviews.

I can't remember one game in recent history that has gotten perfect 10s, lol.[/quote]

He's just off his meds, that's all.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in the Toys R Us Toy Book there is also a coupon for a Free $10 Gift Card if you spend $75.

So if you wanted to you could buy Mario and get the $25 GC and then grab a $29.99 game and get another $10 gift card.

I think that coupon is on here somewhere but if it isn't I can scan the $10 GC one also.

From the reviews it really does sound like they fixed the camera that completely ruined Mario 64 and damn near did in Sunshine. Looks like a first day purchase for me then.

[quote name='SpeedyG']the camera that completely ruined Mario 64 [/QUOTE]

Christ, did you people really have this much damn trouble controlling the camera?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm with you Strell - I NEVER had camera problems in SM64... maybe in 1996 I was oblivious to it though...[/quote]

I've been playing SM64 occasionally on the VC and I have to say I have less camera problems with it than I did Sunshine. It wasn't that Sunshine was horrible, but it did need almost constant camera "correction."

Even though I've had this paid off at GameStop for months, that didn't stop me from hunting like a madman at local Best Buy stores for an early release. It's going to be hard to not tear into this fully until next weekend...

[quote name='Strell']Christ, did you people really have this much damn trouble controlling the camera?[/quote]My only issue was, since I played it a while after it came out *cough*imaterriblepersonandjustbeatitforthefirsttimethisyear*cough*, having a button-controller camera rather thana stick controlled took a little getting used.

But, it really didn't need any work anyway.

For those of you in NY and NJ Nintendo World in the city is having a midnight launch party w/ activities. The activities run from 8 to midnight.

Two more SMG reviews from reputable sites are in:

Games Radar gave it a 10/10.

Super Mario Galaxy is one of those rare games that makes children of us all, that'll have you straight on the phone to your gaming comrades, throwing out terms such as 'best game in years' or - gasp! - 'Mario 64 beater'. Better than the best game ever? Time will tell if this has the legs to carry such a mantle. For now you can rest assured that nothing on Wii… no, nothing since that original 3D Mario encounter on N64, has the imagination, playfulness or technical know-how to match.

GameSpy gave it a 5/5.

Here at GameSpy we pride ourselves in the enjoyment of fine videogames. Super Mario Galaxy cannot be recommended enough to every kind of gamer. If you enjoy playing the best, then you absolutely need to play Super Mario Galaxy. It's our favorite Wii game this year, and a strong contender for the best game of the year.

Glad this game is getting great reviews, makes it so easy to do that TRU deal and then pick up either Resident Evil UC or Fire Emblem with the GC.

[quote name='botticus']It's unfortunate ONM Italy doesn't count towards GameRankings. 11/10. Seriously.

[/QUOTE]

Did they graduate from the Spinal Tap school of rankings?

[quote name='botticus']It's unfortunate ONM Italy doesn't count towards GameRankings. 11/10. Seriously.

[/QUOTE]

Boo! It deserves at least a 12/10

[quote name='munch']Did they graduate from the Spinal Tap school of rankings?[/quote]They just wanted to make a statement. And piss of their critics.

[quote name='Bivensra']For those of you in NY and NJ Nintendo World in the city is having a midnight launch party w/ activities. The activities run from 8 to midnight.[/quote]

you should actually clarify this a bit for NY to NYC honestly. I'm in NY in the buffalo area and NYC is like 400 miles from here. Methinks I'll wait till Monday or Tuesday >_>.

[/quote]

That's awesome.

11/10 is pretty crazy.

I didn't think it was possible to make money buying videogames But i guess you can by buying 2 copies of galaxy for 75 and then getting 50 in gift certs and about 40-50 on ebay for the extra copy, sweet!

[quote name='pittpizza']11/10 is pretty crazy.

I didn't think it was possible to make money buying videogames But i guess you can by buying 2 copies of galaxy for 75 and then getting 50 in gift certs and about 40-50 on ebay for the extra copy, sweet![/quote]You'd only be making about $15 there... $25 of the gift certs went towards getting the two copies for $75.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Still a free copy of galaxy and $15 bucks to buy some peripherals to "highten" the expiereince is an unbeatable deal. It would require two trips to a TRU though, (or two people on one trip).

For all of you impatient Mario fans, here is a little something to help you kill some time: http://games.ign.com/articles/833/833615p1.html

[quote name='pittpizza']Still a free copy of galaxy and $15 bucks to buy some peripherals to "highten" the expiereince is an unbeatable deal.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:k

That's a sly bit of innuendo you have there. :D

Anyway, as much as I want this game NOW, I will have to wait. Still have Orange Box to finish, plus Zack and Wiki to play through.

Plus, of course, the added cost of some "peripherals".

[quote name='pittpizza']Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Still a free copy of galaxy and $15 bucks to buy some peripherals to "highten" the expiereince is an unbeatable deal. It would require two trips to a TRU though, (or two people on one trip). [/quote]

LOL. Videos please!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Since my 360 just died, this is going to be my main gaming diversion for the next month or so. Bring it on, Nintendo.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, dude.

11/10 doesn't even make any sense. This weekend is going to suck bad, since I'm going to have to bust my ass to free up some time for myself with the Galaxy. If it were just two weeks later, though, that'd be just in time for juries and evals, and that's when I'd really be holding a grudge.

[quote name='b*utch']I'm now 52 stars into the game.

After playing the 'toy levels', its easily my game of the year up to now, and possibly my favorite Mario game of all time (only time will tell).

Visually, it looks really bad scaled to my 26" 720p Samsung HDTV (Samsung are well known for being bad at scaling sdtv to their hdtv's). Without all the jaggies, it would look a treat though!.

Mario Galaxy is all about gameplay though, and it excels with it too!. :applause:[/QUOTE]

This is why I'm busting out the HD cables :)

On an unrelated note; how the hell does an 10, 9, 10, 10, 10 average out to an 11? :lol:

Do we have a final word on when this game is actually going to be in stores - specifically TRU and EB/GS?

See, I have this little dilemma. I just found out my wife set up her induction (to have a baby for those who don't know what that is ;)) for Tuesday. Now, had I been there I would have pushed for Wednesday because of SMG. Yeah, OK, that sounds bad, but really the induction is to induce labor before it is ready so it really doesn't matter what day it is done and Weds would have worked just as well as Tues. I mean, they didn't give her the option of Monday because it is a holiday that they need off (this is another of those holidays that only the post office, banks, and, apparently, Obstetricians get off :roll:).

In any case, I'm really hoping Mario Galaxy is pre-shipped and actually available on Monday. That would solve all my problems. Tuesday will be bad though - no TRU deal for me if that's the case ;).

[quote name='io']Do we have a final word on when this game is actually going to be in stores - specifically TRU and EB/GS?

See, I have this little dilemma. I just found out my wife set up her induction (to have a baby for those who don't know what that is ;)) for Tuesday. Now, had I been there I would have pushed for Wednesday because of SMG. Yeah, OK, that sounds bad, but really the induction is to induce labor before it is ready so it really doesn't matter what day it is done and Weds would have worked just as well as Tues. I mean, they didn't give her the option of Monday because it is a holiday that they need off (this is another of those holidays that only the post office, banks, and, apparently, Obstetricians get off :roll:).

In any case, I'm really hoping Mario Galaxy is pre-shipped and actually available on Monday. That would solve all my problems. Tuesday will be bad though - no TRU deal for me if that's the case ;).[/quote]
1. WOW - "had I been there I would have pushed for Wednesday" - CLASSIC.

2. The CARD that TRU gives out with their pre-orders claims that the store availability for all pre-orders is MONDAY November 12th until November 24th or something.

3. The woman I talked to, despite hesitation, did mention that the card deal is only valid on Monday. Interestingly enough, before I mentioned the card deal she told me that the game will be avilable sometime early next week - you should probably call first.

EDIT: sorry, let mecover my ass - she pointed at the card with the release dates, and told me that the gift card is only given on the release date. She didn't explicitly say "monday" - sorry for any confusion.

What I make of this: I'm going to TRU the second I get out of Instrumentation on Monday (10:00 + 20 minutes traveling time) but I will call first all the same. It's nice to have my lesson and the departmental cancelled on the very same day that SMG is coming out. Nintendo gods are pleased with my service.

Colbert: I'm pretty sure that's not true re: the card deal only on Monday. At TRU I was told anytime launch week (Sunday->Saturday) would be doable. Whether or not they have it before Tuesday evening is another question.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Since my 360 just died, this is going to be my main gaming diversion for the next month or so. Bring it on, Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

That makes two of us!!

OK, just talked to the wife again and Monday was out because they are too busy (apparently the doctor IS working that day ;)). Also, she can't do it Weds and Thurs so Tues is the only option. I takes my chances I guess. Of course it is no big deal at all and I could give a rats ass about the TRU gift card given the imminent birth (though, that GC WOULD come in handy for some diapers :whistle2:k).

I just want to know what the deal is one way or another so I can plan my limited ability to run around doing game shopping next week. I do have the other kids to deal with so getting a game like this actually helps out - it will keep them plenty entertained while we do baby stuff after all.

I guess I'll depend on the time difference advantage (being out west) to see if anyone gets the game Monday AM on the East Coast.

For anyone who doesnt really shop at TRU, Circuit City is having a black friday sale where Super Mario Galaxy is only $34.99.

[quote name='io']OK, just talked to the wife again and Monday was out because they are too busy (apparently the doctor IS working that day ;)). Also, she can't do it Weds and Thurs so Tues is the only option. I takes my chances I guess. Of course it is no big deal at all and I could give a rats ass about the TRU gift card given the imminent birth (though, that GC WOULD come in handy for some diapers :whistle2:k).

I just want to know what the deal is one way or another so I can plan my limited ability to run around doing game shopping next week. I do have the other kids to deal with so getting a game like this actually helps out - it will keep them plenty entertained while we do baby stuff after all.

I guess I'll depend on the time difference advantage (being out west) to see if anyone gets the game Monday AM on the East Coast.[/quote]

Why can't your wife have it on Weds or Thurs? Does she have other plans? I would think she would have Weds and Thurs and several more days open if she was planning on having a kid on Tuesday.

I just got my Collector's Edition guide from Amazon, I'm afraid to open it for fear of ruining the game for me. Its also quite massive, the size of some of my textbooks for school.

EDIT: damn sorry about the size

i dont know where to ask this question, but its sorta related to this:
so my friend just bought 2 copies of galaxy from a store that broke street-date this afternoon and i'm driving over to his place to get one of the copies from him as soon as i'm done with this post. i had a preorder at eb/gamestop. i cancelled the preorder and the supervisor came over and asked me why. i told him the details of today and he asked if i could get a copy of the receipt. in return, i would get a free game or item from the store.

my question is WHY would he want the receipt that bad? is there something i dont know about?....

[quote name='steaming79']my question is WHY would he want the receipt that bad? is there something i dont know about?....[/quote]

You didn't let him have the receipt, did you? Because if you did, that dude's going to report that nice store that let you have the game early, and you're not very likely to ever get another pre-release again.

Something tells me that Nintendo has those WANTED posters with stuff on them all like "WANTED: Release Date Breakin' Bandits. REWARD: $500 per each valid receipt submitted."

This is not a joke.

Because you get a $25 GC if you buy it at TRU, making it $25 if there's something else you want to buy.

Also because most people don't want to wait until BF and battle the crowds.

im going with the tru deal myself, just thought it's a pretty nice deal for those who are gonna miss out on the tru deal for whatever reason. the crowds do suck, but at least there should be copies of the video game left since everyone will be getting other things.

I just put down my $5 pre-order at TRU to make sure that I get in on the $25 GC. I just hope they get it on the 12th. I have a feeling I'm going to have to call them constantly to find out if it is in. No Aeris at TRU.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm going with the TRU 25.00 GC deal just because I'll be picking up Assassins Creed also.[/quote]

What's the timespan on that deal? I'm going to do the exact same thing.

[quote name='MarioColbert']You didn't let him have the receipt, did you? Because if you did, that dude's going to report that nice store that let you have the game early, and you're not very likely to ever get another pre-release again.

Something tells me that Nintendo has those WANTED posters with stuff on them all like "WANTED: Release Date Breakin' Bandits. REWARD: $500 per each valid receipt submitted."

This is not a joke.[/quote]Yep, I'm quite sure that would be the end-result of giving them the receipt. They sure as hell aren't going to give you free shit for buying a game somewhere else and cancelling a preorder.

I also received my Collector's Edition guide, it's a nice fancy glittery cover. Keeping it on the shelf till I'm done with the game.

bread's done
Back