Super Robot Wars MX Portable PSP $29.99 at Fry's

icebeast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm not sure if this is at Fry's nation wide or just the ones in Washington, but I was at my local Fry's this Sunday and they had Super Robot Wars MX Portable for the PSP (Japanese) on sale for $29.99; which isn't a fantastic price but is fairly good compared to what import websites like lik-sang and play-asia are charging.

If you don't know about Super Robot Wars it is basically a really long running Japanese Strategy series which features mechs from tons of popular anime/manga. The series has never been released in America and I doubt it ever will be simply because it would be extremely niche and plus the plots are somewhat interconnected so it would be ackward to release a series that references events in games that Americans have never played.

Hopefully this isn't a repost I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

[quote name='icebeast']
The series has never been released in America and I doubt it ever will be simply because it would be extremely niche and plus the plots are somewhat interconnected so it would be ackward to release a series that references events in games that Americans have never played.[/quote]

Actually, the reason is that it's a complete bitch to license.

I think Frys is trying to clear out some import games that don't sell as I also saw the gradius collection psp import for 24.99.

[quote name='NineH']I think Frys is trying to clear out some import games that don't sell as I also saw the gradius collection psp import for 24.99.[/quote]

Yah I noticed the Gradius Collection to but I also noticed that the American version had been released so I think they were just trying to get rid of the import since they know Americans are more likely to buy the localized version.

Now if only they would have a sale on the European imports of Breath of Fire III (PSP) and Tales of Eternia (PSP) which are booth $50 I'd be overjoyed.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

[quote name='EXStrike']Actually, the reason is that it's a complete bitch to license.[/quote]

Yah I'm sure that is a major factor now that you mention it, both in cost and in a logistical nightmare. Still if you look at how well Front Mission 3 and Front Mission 4 sold in America (I think FM4 is worth like $10 or less now) even backed by Square-Enix it is fairly obvious that turn based mech games have a fairly limited following outside of Japan. Factor in what you mentioned with licensing costs and the cost of loclization and I'm sure that Super Robot Wars doesn't really look anywhere near profitable enough to justify releasing it here since it probably wouldn't sell well.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

I don't understand any Japanese at all. Will I be able to enjoy this game? Fighting (bleach) or racing (initial d) game is one thing, but a str/war game, i'm not sure.

[quote name='toogood']I don't understand any Japanese at all. Will I be able to enjoy this game? Fighting (bleach) or racing (initial d) game is one thing, but a str/war game, i'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of text in the game... you could probably get through with a detailed FAQ, and you'd get familiar with most of the menu items, but you're right, it's not as easy to jump into as a fighting or racing game.

yeah, the fry's in renton, wa. also has the japanese version of "me and my katamari" for $24.99. i'd imagine that once the us version of a game becomes available the demand for the import plummets, so they are forced to slash the price.
i also saw that the renton fry's has the japanese version of gitaroo man lives (psp), but i couldn't justify paying $50 for it.

[quote name='toogood']I don't understand any Japanese at all. Will I be able to enjoy this game? Fighting (bleach) or racing (initial d) game is one thing, but a str/war game, i'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

You won't understand the story. It'll help if you know some of the animes in there. This was one of my first import games (PS2 version) and I did just fine. There's also FAQs at GameFaqs.

I've played many SRW games and they are all pretty easy to figure out. You may need a story faq, though the story always borrows many situations from the anime series they are taken from anyway.

As for the licensing problems, yeah it's unfortunate but the ones with licensed shows we'll never see. In addition to there being so many of them to license, the US distribution rights are then scattered amongst even more companies making it even more trouble to do.

Well nowadays they have super spiffy cutscenes and scenes, voices, and music taken directly from the anime. The newer ones have original cutscenes as well.

I'd assume it's not all voiced... if that were the case, I could probably understand it without too much difficulty, but since the game is largely text based, I'd probably run into some issues.

I think a walkthrough is a must for a game like SRW. I tried playing one of the PSX games without a walkthrough and had a nightmare of a time. Went online and looked up a few walkthroughs, I found out that I missed getting all the decent mechs just because theres certain events that must happen in order obtain them. As far as I can tell, understanding the text makes accessing and completing the events easier.

As far as game mechanics are concerned, they're fairly easy to pick up. You just fool around with the options until you realize what means move, attack, special, ect.

I've seen the game at Fry's numerous times, but I could never decide if I wanted to buy it or not. Yeah, I've always wanted a Super Robot Wars game, especially with all the licenses, but it may be too much Japanese for me (since I barely understand it).

Actually, the majority of the Japanese comes from the story in-between. You don't really need to know Japanese to play a SRW game. Just learn to recognize a few things, and the game is entirely playable.

[quote name='icebeast']Yah I noticed the Gradius Collection to but I also noticed that the American version had been released so I think they were just trying to get rid of the import since they know Americans are more likely to buy the localized version.
PeaceOut->
icebeast[/quote]I didn't know about Gradius, that's cool. Fry's is kind of stupid sometimes. Even though Street Supremacy has been out for months at 29.99 they still have Shutokou Battle: Zone of Control for 54.99. -_-;;

bread's done
Back