Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

Well, you might not be a fan of the hedgehog, but you have to admit: Sonic's stage has the potential to be great. If they put the Green Hill Zone theme in My Music, I will be ecstatic!

Did Coffee Edge just quote Botticus from another thread?
Haha.

Though it's likely that the NA version of Brawl has been delayed as well.

CoffeEdge is ignorant in the fact that there have been plenty of Nintendo Wii titles released in NA first, including the hardware itself

I'm not positive on all of these, but here's a list of some of the titles released in the US before Japan:
The Wii (and all launch titles like Zelda)
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Party 8
Metroid Prime 3
Super Paper Mario

So it is absolutely possible that Nintendo would release a game in the US before they do in Japan. Not definite, but possible.

[quote name='dallow']Did Coffee Edge just quote Botticus from another thread?
Haha.

Though it's likely that the NA version of Brawl has been delayed as well.

CoffeEdge is ignorant in the fact that there have been plenty of Nintendo Wii titles released in NA first, including the hardware itself[/quote]At least he creatively avoided the same post in two threads.

Unfortunately we don't know how much of the Japan delay is timing and how much is development. Nor did they have a concrete release date beforehand (unless 12/31 was it - nevermind, games release on Thursday there, so that ain't it). It's possible Brawl could get a delay to the middle of December in the US, but they'd want it as early as possible before it gets to be too late for Christmas gifts.

I haven't really commented on Sonic, but he looks really fun to play as in the video.

Not as wild as I thought he'd be.
I'll play with him, in my 2nd game.

Who was it that posted (a long time ago) that Sonic would never be in Brawl? They said they'd make a bet on it, and that they would eat something if they were wrong?

Somebody dig up the post! (I couldn't find anything on it, but it's somewhere in here!)

[quote name='Rig']Who was it that posted (a long time ago) that Sonic would never be in Brawl? They said they'd make a bet on it, and that they would eat something if they were wrong?

Somebody dig up the post! (I couldn't find anything on it, but it's somewhere in here!)[/QUOTE]

Oh god I hope I didn't say that.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Sephiroth?

I mean Sephiroth vs. Gannon would be amazing!

I bet the game will be delayed to March or something.

january95.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck!!! I have that Game Players still. That is my favorite video game magizine. Back then the arguements were as simple as Sega vs Nintendo. Memories... Thanks for that post. :bouncy:

@botticus:

See, what you're ignoring is that all the language coming from the Nintendo Conference is that Brawl was "delayed" for Japan, not that they announced it's release date as Jan 24. Nowhere do I see reports that say, for instance, "Nintendo announces Japanese SSB Brawl release date of Jan 24." They all use the word "delayed," and when a game is delayed in one region, especially it's home region, it's usually delayed in all the others.

February 12, 2008. My official guess for Brawl release in the US.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']@botticus:

See, what you're ignoring is that all the language coming from the Nintendo Conference is that Brawl was "delayed" for Japan, not that they announced it's release date as Jan 24. Nowhere do I see reports that say, for instance, "Nintendo announces Japanese SSB Brawl release date of Jan 24." They all use the word "delayed," and when a game is delayed in one region, especially it's home region, it's usually delayed in all the others.

February 12, 2008. My official guess for Brawl release in the US.[/quote]

A guess can't really be official.

[quote name='Zen Davis']A guess can't really be official.[/QUOTE]
Sure it can. It's not the official release date for the game, but it is my official guess. As in, I authorized my agent to publicize it as being my guess. This isn't leaked, shaky information. It's genuine, okay. So thus, it's an official guess.

[quote name='Rig']Who was it that posted (a long time ago) that Sonic would never be in Brawl? They said they'd make a bet on it, and that they would eat something if they were wrong?

Somebody dig up the post! (I couldn't find anything on it, but it's somewhere in here!)[/quote]

Might have been me :drool:

It's been 6 or so hours and still can't get over the fact; MOTHER fuckING Sonic is in MOTHER fuckING BRAWL~!!

I don't care if he's the worst character in the game, I will devote everything to mastering him :razz:

[quote name='-Never4ever-']It's been 6 or so hours and still can't get over the fact; MOTHER fuckING Sonic is in MOTHER fuckING BRAWL~!!

I don't care if he's the worst character in the game, I will devote everything to mastering him :razz:[/quote]tell me about it, half my friends at school went "WTF?!" when i told them and i doubt SEGA would let them make sonic low tier, mid tier at the VERY LEAST

Haha, I think this is Galaxy, not Brawl for the Luigi pics.

As for the other pics.
It's just people playing the Brawl demo.

Thought it might be of some interest.

[quote name='maigoyume']tell me about it, half my friends at school went "WTF?!" when i told them and i doubt SEGA would let them make sonic low tier, mid tier at the VERY LEAST[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't care. Hell, I sucked ass as Ganondorf in Melee just because all I wanted to do is play as him.

God I wish I was Japanese :cry:

All I want now is Dixie Kong confirmed and I'll be set.

Maybe I won't use her, but I'd like to see her in the game. Actually, I would use her alot. She has the potential to be a lot of fun, IMO.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Holy fuck!!! I have that Game Players still. That is my favorite video game magizine. Back then the arguements were as simple as Sega vs Nintendo. Memories... Thanks for that post. :bouncy:[/quote]

seconded. game players was an awesome mag.

i think i still have my old issues in a box somewhere.. o__o

[quote name='Gameboy415']This is the greatest day in the history of gaming.

sonic_071010d-l.jpg

*tears of joy*[/quote]

i agree.

[holds your hand in the manliest way possible]

[quote name='furyk']Obligatory I heard "Sonic/Mega Man/Little Mac/Gordon Freeman/Master Chief/Jesus post was in the game" post.

Also, from my understanding "da whoop" has officially been "shooped".[/QUOTE]

Crosses Sonic off of furyk's list... Also removes Jesus, because we all know that already fits that bill.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I honestly don't care. Hell, I sucked ass as Ganondorf in Melee just because all I wanted to do is play as him.

God I wish I was Japanese :cry:[/quote]ganondorf was by far my best char, i even played with him in tourneys :D

Does anyone feel that Nintendo should have kept Sonic a secret until the game shipped? I thought that for DOA 4, Bungie really blew an opportunity to surprise the hell out of everyone by announcing Nicole was going to be in the game before the game came out. This news still has me really excited though.

[quote name='DQT']Does anyone feel that Nintendo should have kept Sonic a secret until the game shipped? I thought that for DOA 4, Bungie really blew an opportunity to surprise the hell out of everyone by announcing Nicole was going to be in the game before the game came out. This news still has me really excited though.[/quote]

No. Now they can put him on the box, and having Snake, Sonic AND Mario on the front cover is something that they would be stupid to pass up.

That being said, they of course will opt for something that does not include all three of them on the cover.

[quote name='DQT']Does anyone feel that Nintendo should have kept Sonic a secret until the game shipped? I thought that for DOA 4, Bungie really blew an opportunity to surprise the hell out of everyone by announcing Nicole was going to be in the game before the game came out. This news still has me really excited though.[/quote]
I'm sure the main menu and copyright section in the manual has to say something like "Sonic character and design copyright 1991-2007 Sega".

Hopefully they wont overpower certain characters for the sake of advertising and fanservice....

This officially qualifies for a first day buy. Cant wait to see the godly speed of sonic.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I really think that this will make the planned North American release. Games do release first in America sometimes.[/QUOTE]
Well, usually if it's an American based company. Like Bungie. I dunno, I guess we'll see. But I doubt it'll come out here first.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I really think that this will make the planned North American release. Games do release first in America sometimes.[/quote] I doubt it will make it's December 3ed US release date. There's really no good reason Nintendo would wait 2 months after the US release date to release Smash in Japan.
Also, the fact that the US release date was changed to TBA on the official site after the Japanese delay was announced pretty much implies that the US release is being pushed back.

To those optimistic CAGs, I'll give you some credit and point out the US did get the Wii about a month before Japan did. I don't see US getting Smash first, but who knows.

[quote name='CouRageouS']To those optimistic CAGs, I'll give you some credit and point out the US did get the Wii about a month before Japan did. I don't see US getting Smash first, but who knows.[/quote]
Did the Japanese release ever even have a concrete date like the US version did?

I assumed this was the first mention of a Japanese date, when word first broke last night...and figured it might not have any bearing on the already-announced US date. But then they changed the date to TBA on the page, so yeah, clearly they wouldn't have done that unless something is changing.

I don't think missing Christmas is actually all that significant of a deal for Nintendo. Sure, it'd be great if they made it, but the potential difference between a January release and a pre-Christmas release is probably not significant enough to make it worth releasing a game too early. Smash will move in huge numbers regardless of whether it makes Christmas or not, and additionally, Nintendo will have AAA software available for the Holiday season (SMG most notably, whose sales performance I'd assume could be bolstered even more by having the spotlight all to itself in Q4). Also, moving hardware certainly won't be a problem in Q4, so the system-seller status is negated there as well. So for them, I doubt it'll be as foolish as it appears on first glance.

Still, I'd obviously love if we get a Christmas miracle and miss out on an '08 push-back.

bread's done
Back