Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='elwood731']I've got to agree with Wolfkin, I prefer the old style.[/quote]This is New Pork City.
this is funny if you've seen the film

[quote name='jer7583']The assist trophies are an excellent way to give nods to characters that while they would make sense to include, they simply can't afford to make/balance into the game.[/quote]I agree with that. I'm all for the assist trophies in the game. As updates however a single assist trophy is pretty boring.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I agree with that. I'm all for the assist trophies in the game. As updates however a single assist trophy is pretty boring.[/quote]

Well, they've gotta fill an extra two months somehow...

[quote name='thegame1921']Well, they've gotta fill an extra two months somehow...[/quote]

I bet towards the end of the time they'll just have videos and concept art, or something..

Well, they do have 3 1/2 more months to go, I'm not sure what people are expecting. Updates on the level of Sonic everyday? We've already had a new stage update recently, and they've been doing assist trophies as updates for a while now, so it isn't like this is something new. I also imagine they don't want to fully reveal everything in the game. Some surprises would be nice.

[quote name='dallow']Doubly agreed.

I really don't know why he's 3D.[/QUOTE]

Because they are using that model for Punch Out!!: Wii Edition, ;)

[quote name='lilboo']Because they are using that model for Punch Out!!: Wii Edition, ;)[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised. Infact, I would be surprised if they didn't.

Sorry lilboo.

Looks like no true Diddy Kong, and Peach has had her power ropes pulled in.

Samus has a dark suit red visor, Fusion suit, Sonic costumes are recolors of blue, Fox has a starwolf outfit. Diddy Kong has Dixie Kong outfit without the hair, Bowser has a golden costume, made out of gold.

Peach is nerfed.
Peach’s dsmash is nerfed, no range
Float canceling not sure
Peach seems heavier

Sounds like they've taken out wavedashing, and wavelanding as well.

This is interesting as well:

Can catch edge even if you're facing wrong way, edgehogging is easy. Edgehogging will be the new edgeguard of choice, characters ‘click’ to it.

[quote name='The Crotch']Nice updates, Dallow - but I'd like if the thread title was a little more to-the-point. I wouldn't necessarily pop in for something like "Little Mac Assist Trophy"...[/quote]I don't follow.

So if I had written, "Little Mac Assist Trophy", you wouldn't have bothered to check the thread at all?

Haha, I gotcha.

That's exactly why I make them a bit ambiguous.
To draw people in.
You should open in a new tab and just let it load.

And it's not your modem, you need more memory!

[quote name='Kyattsuai']Wait, final smashes can be used multiple times?[/quote]

Why not?

The sphere seems to appear like any other item. Gotta figure multiple smash balls will appear within one match.

[quote name='dallow']Doubly agreed.

I really don't know why he's 3D.[/quote]
Because 2D Mac's actual in-game sprites have his back facing the screen. They would have had to make a whole new set of sprites for Little Mac so that he'd be visible.

Remember that not only are these cameos by older icons a treat for the older fans, but they're also new to people who're growing up now. Little Mac seen from behind punching upward in a 3D game wouldn't work much and would be unidentifiable to kids.

Hell, I *like* how Mac has finally gotten a 3D update in some fashion.

Hands-On Impressions!

From The Smashboards:
I tried L-Cancelling with Link's dair repeatedly this morning. All seemed to recover at the same speed as doing a dair without trying to L-cancel. And if a long recovery time like that isn't l-cancelable... doubt anything else would be. So that appears out.

I reconfirmed momentum dodging. You either can't control the direction at all (aside from being going in the direction you want before you air dodge, lol), or it's very very minor. It doesn't give any type of push, so it'll go to your normal trajectory and then start going downwards. So wavedashing as we knew it is indeed gone.

After you air dodge, there's about a 1 second delay (of falling helplessly) before you can do anything. You can jump and even Up B after that, though. I don't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get your jump back if you already used it. I also don't recall testing specifically if you can double air dodge, but it seems likely as long as it doens't give you your jump back and it would also explain the delay after an Air dodge (that way if you're falling to the stage, you can't spam air dodge and be safe all the way down). - So those of you thinking you'll Air Dodge and then do an aerial combo right after as a counterattack (thinking that's how aerial combat would be improved - which I think would've been sweet)... sorry, but not gonna happen..

Crawling seems to be like walljumping was, in that not everyone has it. I did it with Pikachu but couldn't do it with Mario (bah, he could crawl some of his games) or Sonic (so my friend was wrong, I guess). I almost thought that was Pika's walk after I thought about it, but the Nintendo World Video on the Dojo shows Pika using his old walk (along with Mario, right before Wario shows up). So crawling = character specific. --- The input for Pika was just diagonal down.

Dashing dancing appears to be possible, but different. It took me a bit, but I kinda did it with Peach, Ike, and Fox. Fox looked the most like oldschool dash dancing, whereas when I did it with the other two it was taking me longer to turn around (think Zelda's dance dash...). I kept jumping out of Fox's... but it's not like I'm used to using the Classic Controller.

I didn't see an opening dash move for Fox (where it'd be most noticeable to me) when I tested, so foxtrotting looks to be gone.

We already knew this, but shorthop and fastfall are still there. Also, you can jump directly out of your shield (was shielding with Fox, and hit a jump button on Classic Controller and he jumped out of it).

As Zauron isn't going to have the time to keep this thread updated, I'll post a full report of what I've learned in the Impressions thread. Prolly 5 hours from now or so, as I don't want to start on it at work, but not be able to finish it. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121130

Lastly, Dark Link looks friggin' awesome. If you think otherwise after seeing him, you need to have your eyes checked and/or may not have the ability to recognize sheer awesomeness (in which case the rest of us both pity and laugh at you). - Think Black Link from Melee. Now makes his skin dark brown (think... really severe tan). Now make his eyes glow red. And that's Dark Link in a nutshell.

Moar
I will elaborate later but for right now this is a list of things I have seen or played.

- Sonic's costumes: they are only recolors of blue with different wristbands. Kinda lame.

- Bowser is pretty much the same since melee except fsmash is WEAKER now and he has some awesome biting taunts and a golden outfit. Seriously awesome. He can still up +B out of the shield and it rawks.

-Fox actually isn't THAT nerfed. he has an outfit that kinda looks like starwolf except not grey enough. His shine CAN be jump cancelled but it is really strange. You have to hold down + B WHILE hitting jump or you IMMEDIATELY go into the "unshining" animation. This new quick "unshine" lets you multishine really easily in the air by just tapping down B. His uair and usmash are a bit weaker but still kill well. You can still shinespike but it has less stun and knockback. Shine doesn't clank with as nearly as many things anymore, and Fox's fair is better.

-Ike's Final smash is weird. You have to be like RIGHT NEXT to someone but if it lands it is an awesome combo resulting in a one hit KO. Metaknights is kinda the same way but with one slash. Donkey Kong's is the easiest to dodge by just not being close to him. ZSS's final smash is just turning back into Samus with damage if you touch her while she goes back into Samus mode.

-Diddy is actually quite speedy with attacks and has a good variety of moves. Donkey Kong is like Bowser, almost exactly the same with a few tweaks. Diddy's moves are kind of like a Luigi-fied DK's. He also has a costume with Dixie's colors (pink).

Metaknight isn't broken and actually no characters really dominated. Peach's turnips seem to almost always come out "regular" and her whorenado has been nerfed but it can still be CCed for massive damage. Samus can still CCC with her dtilt but missle cancelling is gone. Bomb jumping is really hard and not really beneficial with Samus because of how floaty you are and how small the stages are. DI is really weird but I will get into that later.

One more thing before I go (for now):

Fox's lasers have less range, but you can now short hop TRIPLE laser. Epic.

Moar?
I don't know what people know, but i just talked to Gimpy and some Oregon people on the phone who have been playing a Brawl demo setup for 1v1 with the classic controller , here's what they've said so far:

no wavedashing and no wavelanding

airdodging is like how we predicted, just go with momentum,

Fox can SH triple laser.
Fox can jump out of shine, but it requires that you hold down and B, you can't let go or he'll go into a different animation , hold down and b and then jump.

Bowser is hardcore.
Claw is ridiculous
Bowser will probably be top tier
Up+B out of shield is same, just as powerful.

Samus has a dark suit red visor, Fusion suit, Sonic costumes are recolors of blue, Fox has a starwolf outfit. Diddy Kong has Dixie Kong outfit without the hair, Bowser has a golden costume, made out of gold.

Mario's fsmash is so slow,

Samus can't missile cancel, animation doesn't stop, hard to do though.
Bomb jumping is tough, hitting bombs not directly on top of them knocks you to the side.
If you die as zero suit, you stay as zero suit, you can't automatically be zero suit like changing from Zelda to Sheik at the beginning of a round.

Samus charged shot isn't strong, peach was shot with it fully charged at 87% didn't kill.

Can catch edge even if you're facing wrong way, edgehogging is easy. Edgehogging will be the new edgeguard of choice, characters ‘click’ to it.

Peach is nerfed.
Peach’s dsmash is nerfed, no range
Float canceling not sure
Peach seems heavier

Sonic, not as good as you expect
moves don't have much knockback, kind of 'loose',
all the new chars, he's least popular, hardest learning curve

Do an aerial that has forward momentum and when you land it’s almost the same as a waveland. Certain moves / aerials have less friction/traction,

DI is more pronounced, you can get out of stuff a lot easier, takes knockback easier, can survive until 150.

L-canceling is not in as far as we can tell.

How does the game feel: Feels slower, definitely, on classic, feels awkward, accidentally jump alot, can't SH on the wiimote, everyone is so floaty. Brawl plays really differently, it’s awkward for now because not used to it. Not a lot of lag for moves, maybe lag lowered for sake of demo.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZsxnQiCyo[/MEDIA]

[quote name='lilboo']So.. Diddy will have Dixie's clothes.. just not the hair...???[/quote]

Sounds like it's right up your alley. ;)

:rofl: But that's creepy! I hate when they do this with costume changes!! In Melee Peach had a "Daisy" Costume..but it was with Peach's face. UGH.

They could of at least made the entire costume Dixie and even called it Dixie! :cry:

[quote name='The Crotch']No L-Cancelling is weak, but on the plus side, it sounds like Samus has the Phazon Suit.[/quote]i loved that suit, it was so awesome :applause:

Thanks Zen for the impressions. I was trying to get back on the forum, but it was lagging like hell for me. 800+ people viewing the Brawl section... Well, it just seems like they dumbed down the game. Maybe in an effort to bring everyone up to speed without the need of learning techs.

I foresee a death in the competitive Smash community.

I'm thinking the game was intended to be released like this. But maybe Sakurai is waiting to get opinions from these people who playtested the game. Which could explain the release date being pushed back. Maybe he wants to focus on finetuning the gameplay from here on out. Or then again... maybe not.

Though, he seems set on making the game "easier" for everyone, even if that means taking out/replacing things that were present in melee.

I'm assuming those things really will be out because it will be too much work to put back the frames of animation to get those other things to work.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm thinking the game was intended to be released like this. But maybe Sakurai is waiting to get opinions from these people who playtested the game. Which could explain the release date being pushed back. Maybe he wants to focus on finetuning the gameplay from here on out. Or then again... maybe not.
[/quote]
That's very possible. I've read that after the somewhat negative reactions to Twilight Princess' controls at E3 06 Nintendo changed them.

who else here would pay 60 bucks for the game if it came with some sort of headset? This is one of my biggest hopes for the game since its been delayed. I know its prob a dream, but I really don't want to have to set up conference calls every time i want to play 4 player online with my friends.

I hopped over on to the smash boards to read some of the impressions/concerns/comments. There seems to be a lot of pissed people over there. It's not so much of a concern to me, since I don't play competitively and usually just play with friends whenever they visit, but they don't seem to very happy with some of Melee's mechanics no longer existing.

Personally, I like the randomness of the game sometimes. It makes it a whole lot more exciting when you don't really know what the outcome of the game is, even if you and your friends to play at different levels. It's just interesting to see that a majority of the posts are, "You can't wavedash? Well then, you must just suck." Provided I would probably lose to a play who could, but that's not the point. I really am just in it to have fun.

I was just remotely curious as to how CAG's might have felt about this.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I hopped over on to the smash boards to read some of the impressions/concerns/comments. There seems to be a lot of pissed people over there. It's not so much of a concern to me, since I don't play competitively and usually just play with friends whenever they visit, but they don't seem to very happy with some of Melee's mechanics no longer existing.

Personally, I like the randomness of the game sometimes. It makes it a whole lot more exciting when you don't really know what the outcome of the game is, even if you and your friends to play at different levels. It's just interesting to see that a majority of the posts are, "You can't wavedash? Well then, you must just suck." Provided I would probably lose to a play who could, but that's not the point. I really am just in it to have fun.

I was just remotely curious as to how CAG's might have felt about this.[/quote]
These are the same people that turn off items in Melee, and will likely turn off items, assist trophies, and final smashes in Brawl. Personally, I'm glad that they have to relearn the game. It keeps things fresh.

It's funny to think that Sakurai would cater to them at all, as they seem to purposefully ignore most of his work.

[quote name='evilmax17']These are the same people that turn off items in Melee, and will likely turn off items, assist trophies, and final smashes in Brawl. Personally, I'm glad that they have to relearn the game. It keeps things fresh.

It's funny to think that Sakurai would cater to them at all, as they seem to purposefully ignore most of his work.[/quote]

QFT.

Personally, I've been laughing at the reactions over at Smashboards. I have fun without all that complicated Wave-dashing, L-canceling, dash-dancing? o_O

Some people take it way too seriously.

"Competitve" Melee matches don't even look very fun. They are usually five minute wavedash spams with a few moves thrown in.

I'm glad to see those types of techniques removed from Brawl.

Basically it looks like Brawl is to Melee as Metroid Prime 3 was to Metroid Prime 1. Very much simplified. I'm sure there was a point where Iwata and Miyamoto went to the Brawl designers and told them to dumb it down/slow it down so that even your mother could play the game.

On the other hand, the Smashboards look like the most pathetic bunch of nerd-speak I've seen in the longest time. Just so everyone can get a taste...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121243&page=1

Metaknight- Pretty awesome. I won a couple times using him. His B-moves are: Standard, a tornado that does little damage, but protects against projectiles. B-side, some harpoon-ish attack, where he really drills into it. You can alter the course up and down, and it really stacks up damage against multiple opponents. A nice touch is that at the end, you go a nice bit up in the air, so if you accidentally go off the edge, no worries. Up-B is like the ******* child of Marth's and Peach's. It goes high and automatically makes you glide. Gliding is pretty easy, and you can go up and down. Down-B is a little interesting. He blinks out of view and then appears and slices (he goes down to the floor if you use it in midair). It's a really nice move to dodge and counterattack with. His standard A moves are gnarly, but I'm not sure where the sweet spot for his sword is, but there definitely is one. His grabs, from what I saw, are fairly normal. His Final Smash has him sweep out his cloak in a large area in front of him. If anyone gets caught in it...the action slows down and screen fades to black. And BAM, it reappears with a huge slice across the screen, murdering those that got caught in it.

Pit- Also pretty nifty. Godlike (lol) recovery. He cut's stuff up pretty **** fast. I didn't play as him unfortunately (I don't know why :/) but his Up-B I know makes him sprout wings and fly around at will. I saw a Pit recover from right near the bottom of the screen with that move, it's insane how good it is. Plus the fact he can do multiple jumps I'm pretty sure like Metaknight/Kirby can...He shoots his bow, and the arrows are pretty cool. I saw them being shot in different directions, and the shots are fast and don't need much charging like Link's. His Final Smash is a lot better then I thought it would be. He shouts out and pretty Palutena appears, followed soon by a bunch of little soldiers. These guys actively seek out enemies and do really nice damage and knockback.

Sonic- Dear God, he's fast. Like friggin' ZOOOOOOOM with his dash, easily outspeeding Falcon and Fox from Melee, and he accelerates from his walk-to-run very fast too. Unfortunately, I played him on the Classic Controller as opposed to sideways-Wiimote, which I was not used too, so I didn't get to see what special move is where, but you knew he had the Spin Dashes and Bounce-top thing. He's pretty powerful on the ground, but it seems he's weak aerially. He's pretty slippery too, like Luigi. His final smash is obviously Super Sonic. It's disappointed to see that he can be pretty much easily dodged by rolling or spot-dodging when he comes by for a run, so it may be best to slow down and instead of ram the enemy, just slowly go into them, to increase accuracy. The Chaos Emeralds also do a little damage at the end of it.

Ike- He's similar to Marth/Roy, but not a whole lot. Most of his A moves are completely different, and very powerful. His B moves are: Standard-B is a move where he stabs the ground and in front of him gets blasted with some fiery stuff. It's chargeable too. Side-B is sort of like Fox's side-b, but again, it's chargeable, and it's less of a warp and more of a very fast sideways-movement. His Up-B is kinda like Kirby's, but without the shockwave, and more delay. It goes very high up, but not very far horizontally as far as recovery goes, but that's what the side-b is for. Down-B is counter, like Marth and Roy had. His Final Smash is in the vein of Link's and Metaknights, in the sense that it has a pretty short range. If you do get caught in it, he whacks you up in the air and cuts the hell out of you, with shockwaves in every direction he cuts. Then he slams you down with his sword, and there's huge knockback on that final strike. I saw him do it to someone at 0% and it does a whopping 69% damage total. Very nice.

Diddy Kong- He's pretty dang fast too. He can combo stuff easily, and his standard A-A-A combo ends with a tail whip that's very good and keeps hitting, like Falcon/Fox's standard A combos. His B-moves are: B-Up, Rocket Barrels. These are fun. I'm not sure what triggers them falling off, though I think it's if you get hit while charging them up. In mid-air, you can aim them so you go more sideways. If you charge them, they do very nice knockback. Standard B is his peanut-popgun, which does decent damage and knockback if you charge it. The peanuts are nice too. I forget what his side-b is unfortunately. His down-b has him throw a banana peel on the floor. I'm guessing it works the same as the droppable item. It makes them slip and leaves them very open to attack. His Final Smash is pretty awesome. The barrage he brings is massive, totally wiping up the battlefield in four-player Smash matches. It's also pretty epic the noise it makes, and controlling it is pretty fun too. It's easy to keep people in the air with it, so you don't have to worry about them restoring health from the peanuts.

As far as veterans go, they're pretty much the same. It's a lot easier to pull off attacks as Bowser, and his suplex-throws are pretty amusing. Giga Bowser is fun, and you'll suffer barely any, if any, knockback while under it. Mario's Fludd was hard to aim so I couldn't be sure how well it worked. Pikachu's Final Smash was similar to Sonic's, but instead of knockback, it did a ton of damage on contact. It can also go through walls and floors, unlike Sonic's. Link seems more powerful, and his Gale Boomerang is pretty annoying. Fox doesn't seem to be as leet, what with a slower fall. His Land Master is impressive, but a little unwieldy, and easily dodgeable on levels like Battlefield. Samus seems floatier, and her Final Smash is really powerful. Zero Suit Samus I didn't get to play as, but she seemed pretty gnarly. And ZSS's final smash is a large energy aura around Samus that does a lot of damage if you get caught in it, and also gives her her suit back. Peach's side-b is a little different, and seems to spike them if it hits. Her final smash puts everyone to sleep, and rains peaches from the sky, but I don't know if you throw them or eat them while they sleep.

Costumes are pretty cool. Mario gets his old ones, and also the white-shirt, red-overalls Fire Flower Mario, which looks cool. Peach still has Daisy. Samus has the Phazon Suit from Metroid Prime, but no P.E.D. unfortunately. Pit and Ike just have different colored clothing. Metaknight has one cool-looking yellow suit, and another 'Dark Metaknight'ish thing, where he has red eyes. Link also has Dark Link (!) which looks friggin' awesome. He's shadowy and has scary red eyes. Bowser can bling out his shell with either black and shiny gold, or a bronzed look. Looks awesome. Diddy has different color clothes/fur, and one of them makes him look a lot like Dixie, bar the ponytail. Sonic is just different shades of blue.

As far as items go, they work nearly the same. The Golden Hammer is lulzy in how fast it swings. Pokéball pokes I saw were Torchic, Snorlax, Latios/Latias (who murder, they zoom across the screent turbo fast), Kyogre who just spits water up above the fight, and Gardevoir. Assist Trophies are actually pretty good, and hard to avoid. Knuckle Joe tears things up. Lyn crouches down...waiting, waiting..she sits there for a good while and does noth-BAM mega slice out of nowhere. Dr. Wright was pretty lame, but funny. Metroids latch onto people, and cause damage-over-time, fast. Nintendogs are FRIGGIN' ANNOYING and cover the entire screen for a while. Mr. Resetti is a real laugh...he talks on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...The text doesn't cover too much of the screen, but the way he rambles forever is hilarious. The Super Spicy Curry is pretty potent, it sends a stream of fireballs in front of you constantly for a while.

Stages:

Battlefield is standard stuff. It goes from day-to-night periodically. Delfino Plaza is nice because it's constantly changing the shape of the field you're on. Yoshi's Island is also entertaining, and the weird ghost platform saved me once. Skyworld is annoying; you bounce off the blocks until they break, so it's a low ceilinged area in the middle stage until they break. You can accidentally fall through the clouds once the platforms break too, including the main cloud platform. Bridge of Eldin is pretty nifty. All flat until Bulbin blasts a hole in the middle. Smashville doesn't have any special quirks. Castle Siege was also nice in the way it changes the battlefield constantly. Lylat Cruise has really nice visuals, especially when you're entering the atmosphere of some planet. The Halberd is deadly once you get on it, what with the lasers of death and such. Pokie Stadium is nice; I got to see the Ground, Electric, and Ice versions. Ice and Electric both make your traction go crazy. Norfair was awesome, there's huge pillars of lava that engulf halfs of the screen as the battle goes on.

God I love that game already. And I talked about Smash Bros. with people while waiting in line too. I checked; no wavedashing in this game, though you can waveland. Also, the three taunts each character has is pretty cool. If you want to know something, ask me and I'll try to answer.
More.
OK, spent lots of time playing today. Let's be brief for each character.

Ike: quite slow. His fair is garbage. His final smash needs to hit someone next to you to activate. It's a guaranteed kill if they have medium damage.

Mario: d-air is tornado and I couldn't get it to rise, but I suck. Fludd attack is really wimpy. His final smash pushes you across the screen if you get caught in it (contrast with Samus').

Diddy Kong: weird movement. His b-air is like Mario's and chains together really well; I used it 4-5 times in a row to kill someone off the side of Castle.

Link: he's OK. His up+b doesn't seem to pseudo-spike if it hits after the initial strike. His bomb will kill someone in sudden death.

Sonic: has a really large dash dance.

Bowser: is pretty good. His final smash is amazing and is basically a free kill (at least). Fortress cancelling, fortress from shield, and flame cancelling are back.

DK: his back throw sends you down if you use it near the edge.

Samus: can't bomb jump in the air very easily, maybe not at all. Either the timing is significantly different and no one could figure it out, or you just can't do it at all. You can still bomb jump on the ground (the bomb will send you into morph ball state). Either can't missile cancel or the timing is different to make it difficult to test. Using a bomb in the air gives significant mobility though.

Peach: d-smash has shorter range and does less damage; I used it on HugS in sudden death and it didn't kill. Her dash attack is now two hits, neither or which is particularly powerful. She can still pull beam swords (I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO EVER DO THIS IN BRAWL -- WRITE MY NAME DOWN.) Turnips have some variety but none of them approached the power of Melee Stichface. Her F-air is still good, and her b-air is stronger. Her final smash can be shielded -- HugS had his shield up when I did one once, and his shield kept flashing and getting smaller like he was shielding something (I also did NOT get any peaches from this attack -- may have been a bug). Using her FS when opponent is in the air appears to warp them to the ground, but this may have just been them falling normally while the animation was playing. I don't think she can float cancel anymore; I was never good at it in Melee, but I tried very hard to look for any sign of FC aerials and couldn't find anything. Her usmash shows a heart at the top of her hands. Daisy is still a costume for Peach. I played her quite a bit.

Pit: doesn't seem very good; couldn't find a decent kill move?

Metaknight: very fast and lots of combos; his side b does a lot of damage but leaves you helpless after it finishes. I don't think he has many kill moves either, because I almost always saw him killing people via items. FS must connect with opponent, then it's an auto kill (?).

Pikachu: is cool. He has some badass costumes. His uair and fair combo very nicely into each other. FS is very hard to control, but if you barely tilt the stick it's not that bad.

Techniques and misc stuff
NO:
Wavedash.
L-cancelling (MY PERSONAL THEORY: l-cancelling was made automatic for the demo, because there are clearly moves with much longer recovery times shown in some of the trailers).
Double jump cancelling (Peach/Yoshi).
Yoshi jumping out of shield.
Start as Zamus (couldn't find a button combo).
Light shield (classic controller shoulder buttons are not analog).
Cannot seem to short hop with the Wiimote on its side.

YES:
Dash Dance.
Teching (normal, wall, and wall jump).
DI.
Smash DI.
Chain grabbing (was CG'd by Pikachu's dthrow [without DIing it] and have heard that Mario can too).
Crouch cancel.
Grab items in the air with Z.
Air dodge grapple with Link/Samus.

MAYBE:
Wavelanding; some characters seem to do something like a waveland at times. Hard to test.
Jump cancel shine. Reports vary. Most people cannot get it to work, but some claim you have to hold B while you press jump for it to work; they claim releasing B makes him start a "turn off shine" animation.

COOL STUFF:
You will grab the edge during/after most moves even if you're facing the wrong way.

The Edge Hug: HugS discovered this. Walk off the edge and smash the stick towards the stage. You will grab the edge. Faster than WDing off to edge hog. This is called the Edge Hug, of course.

C-stick does tilt attacks if you also hold the regular stick in the same direction. This makes it very hard to CC downsmash with Peach, because holding down to CC and then C-sticking down will do a dtilt, not a dsmash. You can do all tilts using this method.

Fox can short hop triple laser. But his lasers do not go very far; they disappear after a distance that is about the length of the hole that appears in Bridge of Eldin.
Yoshi stuff I'd noticed:
-Still cannot shield jump
-Bair and Dsmash(dtilt too) have more range thanks to elongated tail
-Grab still sucks imo - same short range and windup lag
-Forward+B does not leave you completely helpless, though it's still kinda useless
-Either it's me, or Yoshi's usmash does NOT have as much priority as it used to
-Egg Toss does give Yoshi some extra distance when in the air, and it doesn't leave you completely helpless after doing so in the air(at least from what I saw)
-Egg Toss also has less lag, or it's just me.
-Yoshi sex kick and bair also seems to have more priority than they used to
EDIT:
-How the hell could I forget that YOSHI'S DJC IS NOW INVALID? The attack will occur, yes, but he will continue on his jump trajectory.

I also noticed DI'ing is more notable - at one round of the "tournament" they had there, I was easily DI'ing smash attacks up to around 200%.
All the costumes that I know of. I will update if you guys tell or show me ones I dont know. Regular costumes are not listed.

A question mark of course will mean incomplete or unknown if its complete.
--------------------

Mario - Fire Mario, Blue, brown/white, Wario, Green

Pikachu - Trainer Hat, Green Bandana, ?, Goggles

Ike - Marth Colors

Donkey Kong - Sasquatch, Red, Green, Blue, ?

Sonic - Blue shades (ring color changes), rumored black shade

Yoshi - Blue, Red, Yellow, Turquoise, Pink

Peach - All Red dress, Daisy, ?, ?

Samus - Phazon Suit, Fusion Suit, Off-gold, ?

Link - Dark, Red, Blue, Purple, Green, Gold

Fox - Wolf-a-like, green, ?, ?

Metaknight - Dark, green, red, yellow, (pink rumored)

Diddy - Purple, Dixie (no hair), ?, ?

Pit (rumored colors) - Red w/ white wings, black w/ black wings, blue w/ blue wings, green, ?

Bowser (shell)- Gold, black, brownish, white

[quote name='elwood731']Well, they do have 3 1/2 more months to go, I'm not sure what people are expecting. Updates on the level of Sonic everyday? We've already had a new stage update recently, and they've been doing assist trophies as updates for a while now, so it isn't like this is something new. I also imagine they don't want to fully reveal everything in the game. Some surprises would be nice.[/quote]by no means was it meant to imply it was new, this is something that has always sucked. It's one of the primary things that makes me think I'll burn out on smash. The drip drop nature of the releases.

[quote name='Kyattsuai']Wait, final smashes can be used multiple times?[/quote]Check out gametrailers they have a two long vids.. one in which you see Samus FS.. just before the match ends you see ZSS just about to get a Smash ball

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']little mac should have been 2d.[/quote] bleh. I for one disagree. Maybe it's because I never played Punch Out but I don't think EVERY 2D Sprite should remain 2D. It's really not that serious.

[quote name='halu102']Thanks Zen for the impressions. I was trying to get back on the forum, but it was lagging like hell for me. 800+ people viewing the Brawl section... Well, it just seems like they dumbed down the game. Maybe in an effort to bring everyone up to speed without the need of learning techs.

I foresee a death in the competitive Smash community.[/quote]I've always wondered how much of the advanced moves were even ment to be in Smash 2 in the first place. Smash was always supposed to be a pretty simple pick up and play game. People just discovered the layers of depth. People keep talking like they removed these features. What if they weren't removing features but just cleaning up some bugs

P.S. I want to hear impressions as much as the next guy but I have a perfectly good SWF login i can use do we really need to quote some other forum here? Espcially if you're just going to copy/paste ginormous chunks of text. Why not use spoilers tags or better yet just post the basic info (paraphrase the good parts?).. maybe with a link for those of us who have logins.

I hate this game. I LOVED Melee but this game has lost (quite seriously) ALL of it's competitive edge. I did better button mashing than actually trying to play it. It's way too slow, it doesn't feel right, and Nintendo forced everyone there to use the Wiimote (or the classic controller if they played off to the side) os I'm left with the crappy impression it left on me.

I also don't wavedash, nor do I shuffle. The only thing I used which is gone was the C-stick. And I think they really screwed this game up.

They really need to overhaul the speed and recovery moves. This game was terrible. Hopefully they can fix it in four months.

[quote name='djkunai']I hate this game. I LOVED Melee but this game has lost (quite seriously) ALL of it's competitive edge. I did better button mashing than actually trying to play it. It's way too slow, it doesn't feel right, and Nintendo forced everyone there to use the Wiimote (or the classic controller if they played off to the side) os I'm left with the crappy impression it left on me.

I also don't wavedash, nor do I shuffle. The only thing I used which is gone was the C-stick. And I think they really screwed this game up.

They really need to overhaul the speed and recovery moves. This game was terrible. Hopefully they can fix it in four months.[/quote]
Looks like I was right. Take the game. Make it slower for your mother and grandmother.
I want to hear impressions as much as the next guy but I have a perfectly good SWF login i can use do we really need to quote some other forum here? Espcially if you're just going to copy/paste ginormous chunks of text. Why not use spoilers tags or better yet just post the basic info (paraphrase the good parts?).. maybe with a link for those of us who have logins.
First, because I wasn't going to spend 15 minutes cutting and pasting choice sentences. Second, not everyone has a membership at that board. Third, these are among the first Smash impressions on the game and I wanted to post up impressions for CAG members, regardless of where they came from.

I don't understand why you're getting insecure about posting content from another source. I mean did I break a rule or something?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Looks like I was right. Take the game. Make it slower for your mother and grandmother.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I was playing as Sonic and I seriously could not figure out how to play effectively. As soon as I started mashing once I was near somebody, I somehow kicked ass. All strategy is GONE.

[quote name='djkunai']It's a fighting game, so yes.[/quote]

Might your opinions change after experiencing Brawl on the sultry body of a wavebird?

[quote name='Strell']Remember, kids. Playing an early build of a game + whining in a forum = attention![/quote]

Hey. Strell to be fair. I'd actually like to play your mom in a game of Brawl. ;)

Well, from here on, if they have subsequent demos, we'll see if Sakurai is bound by the Wii code of "everyone can play", or if he actually takes notice of the heart of all fighting games, which is competition.

Personally I stand on the side that hopes to have wavedashing, c-stick, and L-cancelling. I'm starting to wonder what type of developers were working on this game. Sure they may have played thousands of games, but of what kind? Sudden death mode with items set to very high?

And about smashboards... being a frequenter, I'd say most of the posters there are of the semi to pure competitive type. So of course they are nerds, they love to study any and all aspects of the game. Can't really blame them. If you are of the people who wish to stay ignorant of these "advanced" techniques, there's another forum for you. It's called gamefaqs.

And thanks for all the impression updates. Saves me the trouble of sifting through all those useless immature posts made by smelly fat kids on smashboards.

Peach's Final Smash.

peach_071019a-l.jpg

peach_071019c-l.jpg

peach_071019f-l.jpg

bread's done
Back