Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

It all boils down to people's inane need to bitch, about anything & everything.

Slower paced with no crazy-super-secret-glitch maneuvers to learn & abuse? fuck yes!

The only thing I never liked about Melee was the competitive moves & players that seemingly suck the fun out of multi player. It's fine if you're playing in a dead serious tornament, but these pricks make it a point to win no-matter-what, no-matter-when.

Just got back from E For All, it was a unique experience (including getting interviewed on French TV and looking like a jackass on G4).

So some things I noticed:

When Samus turns into ZSS, she stays that way until the end of the match, UNLESS ZSS uses her final smash (some explosion similar to Electrodes, but with electricity), she will then revert back to normal Samus.

Diddy's Peanut Gun sucks, you need full power to shoot it straight, if you just shoot it without charging it takes forever and flies over the opponent.

Metaknight's final smash is overrated, you need about 80% for it to kill and even then they need to be RIGHT in front of you, it does 41% to a 0% character.

Final Smash balls are everywhere, my guess its just the demo trying to show off the final smashes (lets hope).

Pikachu's final smash sucks, it looks almost uncontrollable, has no knockback, and does about 16% and I've never seen it KO anyone, the same can be said for Super Sonic, but its faster, more uncontrollable, but can actually KO.

Ike's Down-B is counter (similar to marth and roy), side-b charges then runs a few feet and hits the opponent (or nothing), the up-b throws some people off (especially during recoveries) because the sword is flying but Ike sits there for a few seconds. Ike's Final Smash requires the opponent to be RIGHT next to him, out of the 6 or so Ike FSes, I saw none connect.

Metaknight is grossly overrated, I found him impossible to control and all his attacks end up with him in the air ready to be juggled. Since I got tired of losing with him I moved on to...

Bowser, who happens to be amazing for some reason. He was taking hits like a champ and a few of his moves were modified (side-b comes to mind right away, he claws, but then flies up and smashes the opponent, looks awesome). He might be the best Final Smash user, smash balls need to be hit multiple times his up-b breaks the smash ball right away and giga bowser is pretty unstoppable. He was easily my favorite while I played and I won most matches I used him in.

Fox's Final Smash has potential, but the opponents can out run it, since the cannon is high and only shoots straight it misses anything below it and it is really slow so running people over is actually hard.

Pokeballs, I saw 3 new ones along with some we already knew about. Gardevoir creates a circle around it, projectiles won't penetrate that barrier. Latios appears, sits for a few seconds, then races across the screen multiple times similar to scizor, but around for much longer and a whole lot faster (you just see a blur). Bonsly appears, then just slowly walks off screen doing no damage or anything, and when I say slow I mean it, it took it about 20+ seconds to disappear from the bridge of eldin.

Saw Metroid assist trophy, looked awesome, and the commentators had no idea what it was.

Wiimote and CC controls blow.

Other things I need to check my notebook for.

Throw up some questions, I saw plenty of Brawl today, I might know the answer.

Also how did Cheapy think MGS4 was hard, it seemed really easy to me (maybe because I was playing Twin Snakes on extreme yesterday), but thanks CAg and GQD for sending me.

[quote name='Zen Davis']IGN Bozon:

"I loved Melee and Brawl is already a better game to me than Melee was."
[/QUOTE]

You can't spell ignorant with out i-g-n.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Good to hear that Bowser got better. Did you notice anything new about Kirby, zerowing?[/QUOTE]
Kirby wasn't playable. =/

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgWe33bjcFs[/QUOTE]

Amazing. But why weren't the videos in the correct order? :lol:

Some theories:

I still think that we're going to get alternate costumes instead of clones this time around. It'd be a great way to ensure that everyone's favorites from Melee come back (Dr. Mario, Falco, etc.), and an easy way to pump up the number of playable characters (Sonic = Tails/Knuckles/Shadow anyone??). I really doubt Ness WON'T be in the game, but if he plays similarly to Lucas the alternate costume idea would be the way to go, I think.

As for new characters, I'm hoping we get some from untapped Nintendo series. Captain Olimar from Pikmin could work, as could Chibi Robo. I hope we see some more obscure/Japan only characters too like Doshin the Giant or Starfi, even if they are only assist characters. Hopefully we get the rest of the unique veteran characters back too (Luigi, Game & Watch, Mewtwo, Cap Falcon, Jigglypuff).

In terms of 3rd party characters, the most likely choice in my opinion is Mega Man. He's been in plenty of fighting games before and would be a great fit. A somewhat more generic Square-Enix character could be in too, like a Moogle or a Chocobo. I'd love for Sora from Kingdom Hearts to be playable, but that might be a long-shot considering there was only the one KH GBA title.

1: What's the final portion of the Fire Emblem castle? iirc it was some underground stage with a tilting platform above some lava
2: Is Sonic as crappy as others have said? I actually think Sonic can be very good, he is very fast (almost uncontrollable), but isn't floaty, he drops fast. He has an amazing recovery but has little knock back on his moves, I'm thinking he will be high tier for competitive smash. For friendly play, maybe.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Amazing. But why weren't the videos in the correct order? :lol:

Some theories:

I still think that we're going to get alternate costumes instead of clones this time around. It'd be a great way to ensure that everyone's favorites from Melee come back (Dr. Mario, Falco, etc.), and an easy way to pump up the number of playable characters (Sonic = Tails/Knuckles/Shadow anyone??). I really doubt Ness WON'T be in the game, but if he plays similarly to Lucas the alternate costume idea would be the way to go, I think.

As for new characters, I'm hoping we get some from untapped Nintendo series. Captain Olimar from Pikmin could work, as could Chibi Robo. I hope we see some more obscure/Japan only characters too like Doshin the Giant or Starfi, even if they are only assist characters. Hopefully we get the rest of the unique veteran characters back too (Luigi, Game & Watch, Mewtwo, Cap Falcon, Jigglypuff).

In terms of 3rd party characters, the most likely choice in my opinion is Mega Man. He's been in plenty of fighting games before and would be a great fit. A somewhat more generic Square-Enix character could be in too, like a Moogle or a Chocobo. I'd love for Sora from Kingdom Hearts to be playable, but that might be a long-shot considering there was only the one KH GBA title.[/QUOTE]

I would love for Captain Olimar to be in Brawl. I'm sure they could come up with some creative moves for him. At the very least, if he's not a playable character he better damn well be an assist trophy. Actually, I will be very surprised if Brawl does not include anything from the Pikmin world considering that every for ever other major series Nintendo has, a character exists of some form in the game (aside from Golden Sun).

[quote name='Gameboy415'] I still think that we're going to get alternate costumes instead of clones this time around. It'd be a great way to ensure that everyone's favorites from Melee come back (Dr. Mario, Falco, etc.), and an easy way to pump up the number of playable characters (Sonic = Tails/Knuckles/Shadow anyone??). I really doubt Ness WON'T be in the game, but if he plays similarly to Lucas the alternate costume idea would be the way to go, I think.[/quote]If they did that, I would definitely not like that.

As far as how likely, I don't know it seems a bit far off. Sure maybe you might say Doc Mario is just a costume change, even Daisy is just a costume change. I could see you getting away with that for Dixie -> Diddy, maybe MAYBE even Y.Link -> Link.

But that breaks apart on stuff like Gannondorf -> C. Falcon, Shiek -> Zelda?, Falco -> Fox.

I'd rather just stick with the colors. or maybe special unlocks like "Start with Shiek" code. Daisy costume still played like Peach. There's no point in being Ganondorf if he's going to be fast and weak like Falcon.

[quote name='jer7583']I guess some people like the randomness of items, but it's always bugged me when people win because a snorlax pokeball spawned near them or some instant kill item.[/quote]See now I always liked the feeling of getting a win by grabbing a fan which most people discount. Smack 'em around a few times then roll back and throw it at them. Fan sucked as a weapon but throwing it at people was intensly fun.

I thought about this recently, and would like an answer -

I remember reading a little while ago that Brawl was going to utilize the Havok physics engine.

But the videos clearly show some of the characters being a little floaty.

Is that part of the engine? You can mix and match variables (I assume) to alter gravity and the like?

I guess what I'm asking for is more information on the actual physics engine itself.

Also, TC. We should SC sometime.

[quote name='Rig']"Competitve" Melee matches don't even look very fun. They are usually five minute wavedash spams with a few moves thrown in.

I'm glad to see those types of techniques removed from Brawl.[/QUOTE]

They're not. I have participated in two in the last two years (one at the local Game Crazy, the second at OMGCon 2007), and they can pretty much be summed up in two words: KILL PIKACHU.

/yeah, I was Pikachu

Anyone hoping Megaman will be the next character?

If you think spamming wavedash is possible, your eyes are too fucking slow.
"ZOMG STOP WAVEDASHING BACKWARDS AND FSMASHING!"

o_O

Pictochat stage?

stage15_071022a-l.jpg

stage15_071022d-l.jpg

stage15_071022h-l.jpg

Haha, never would have expected that.

You can also adjust the frequency in which certain songs play on stages. Including Mii Channel and Wii Shop Channel music!

[quote name='The Crotch']Along with the rest of the board? Yes. Yes I am.

Bets on next update, anyone?[/QUOTE]

i only bet in hotcakes.....so what is the bet?

[quote name='CouRageouS']
The only way this could be better is if it actually allowed someone with a DS to draw on the stage live.[/QUOTE]

1. Could that be done? Because how awesome would it be if it could?

2. Answer: Super Veiny Awesome, as to have cock levels over and over.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age was included in one form or another.

DS icon + Brain Age music shown in screen shot + Sakurai listing him in his list of potential characters.

If not as a character, then probably as an assist, and maybe as a stage.

This stage is pretty awesome! I'm also wondering what the hell it means when it calls your character out...:whistle2:k

Would of have been funny if the screen was split in half, and the bottom part was the touch screen and you had to avoid the stylus as it was drawing...:lol:

[quote name='Strell']1. Could that be done? Because how awesome would it be if it could?

2. Answer: Super Veiny Awesome, as to have cock levels over and over.[/QUOTE]
Its logical that it could work. The DS and Wii should be able to connect easily like it does in the Pokemon game. Say a spectator could draw whatever he wanted and it adds to a cache while the stage generates it and it refreshes every 20-30 secs.

[quote name='lilboo']This stage is pretty awesome! I'm also wondering what the hell it means when it calls your character out...:whistle2:k
[/quote]

IIn Melee (and maybe in the 64 version, not sure) there was a Pokemon Stadium arena that featured a 'jumbotron' type screen. When it wasn't saying what form the level was changing to, it was displaying the name of the leader. Perhaps that is also what the text box in the Pictochat level serves as?

[quote name='suko_32']Best..stage..ever[/quote] It would be if...[quote name='CouRageouS'][...] it actually allowed someone with a DS to draw on the stage live.[/quote]my thoughts exactly.

[quote name='evilmax17']Haha, never would have expected that.

You can also adjust the frequency in which certain songs play on stages. Including Mii Channel and Wii Shop Channel music![/quote]I'm just wondering wasn't this covered by the whole 'My Music' update??
[quote name='lilboo']This stage is pretty awesome! I'm also wondering what the hell it means when it calls your character out...:whistle2:k[/quote]drawing type. If you look Diddy drew a cart, and Bowser drew flames. That's all that means. That's my thought.. either that or like Pokémon stage or crowd chants it's just throwing up names of the players.
[quote name='Gameboy415']Looks like this guy put a cap on the number of logos a bit prematurely[/quote]maybe it was me but i never thought he was implying a cap at 20. but I don't feel like reading it again so maybe I'm wrong.

We will hopefully have updates for the next 3 - 4 months, so they can't all be too revealing. We're lucky to get updates at all. Hell, I can't think of any other game that does daily updates for its fans.

[quote name='WiiGame']i wish they'd unveil more unique details about characters and online first...[/QUOTE]

This stage is like the bastard child of Pokefloats and Game & Watch Gallery. I don't know what to think.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The Pictochat stage shouldnt be available in the online mode :3[/QUOTE]

And a million people 'round the world lean their heads towards the sound of your immense vagina flapping violently in the wind.

The more I think about it....

I don't think the stage could allow real-time drawing.

Obviously there's some functionality being built into what is showing up. I.e., if fire was drawn, then the characters touching it get damaged.

The computer has to be able to recognize that, and the only way that will happen is if it's pre-existing, built-in data.

Also, it has to know what will be decoration versus actual platforms to mess around on, and I imagine there wouldn't be a way for that to happen with user input.

Besides, someone could be REALLY devious and do something like - say - encase one character in a circle (penis or not) and give the other players a chance to destroy them.

If anything, what they could have for this stage is two versions - the one that's being shown right now, and then the user-input one. That way we get the best of both worlds. But I'm thinking we'll only get the pre-determined stuff, which is fine, cuz this stage looks awesome in its own right.

[quote name='evilmax17']Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age was included in one form or another.

DS icon + Brain Age music shown in screen shot + Sakurai listing him in his list of potential characters.

If not as a character, then probably as an assist, and maybe as a stage.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts and hopes exactly. I want to pwn everybody as a giant floating head shooting lasers out of his eyes more than anything. =^n.n^=

If Dr. Kawashima was a playable character, I think I'd die from laughter like the weasels in Roger Rabbit.

Might I suggest a little brain training, bitch!

YOUR BRAIN AGE IS "OH YOU GOT fuckED UP"

[quote name='Strell']This is why I like TC. He's cool, and he's from Canada.

So he bucks the trend.[/quote]I thought it was because he shared your love for zeh wang ;)

bread's done
Back