Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Just gt back from the Nintendo-sponsored tournament at SF. The competition there was pretty good, at least for the last half of the tournament. It was clear that the people who didn't know how to play far outnumbered the people who did. Quite literally, my first opponent was someone who had never played any Smash Brothers games in his life, and was asking me the buttons while we were picking our characters.

The rules were what I expected. All items on, CC only, default characters only (they had to delete the data every 5 matches since Ness kept trying to get unlocked), Battlefield stage only, 4 minute matches with no stock (meaning that you had 4 minutes to get the most kills). My Dedede was half-penguin, half-beatdown, half-amazing the entire day. Throwing Waddle Dees/Doos gave me so much presence in my matches, most characters couldn't deal, especially Ike, who quickly became a favored match for me. It's amazing how all of Ike's best moves get stopped by one of my many minions.

Smash Balls were on, of course, and I took advantage of them every chance I could. Turns out that flying up towards the top of the level, then activating it makes D3's FS that much better, since all his minions spawn around his general area anyways. His forward smash attack is slow, but I kept faking people out with it's slow startup, and people dodged too early, and got hit by it anyways. Fantastic!

Apparently, some of the Bay Area's best Smash players showed up, but since they were too used to Melee's mechanics, they all lost in the first couple of rounds. LuninSpectra, considered the country's greatest Fox player in Melee, lost in the first round. He recognized me after his round, and wished me luck, which made me feel all important, since someone as widely recognized as him in the Smash community was hoping I would take it all. I also beat one of the best Kirby players in Melee to advance to the top 8, which was another good feeling, since I learned everything I know about Kirby from his posts at Smashboards.

In the end, I never advanced past the top 8, losing to a very aggro pair of Ice Climbers. Time ran out, and we were forced into sudden death, where a clutch roll past my projectile led him into victory. All in all, it was a great day. I learned a whole bunch about the game while I was there, including things about the CC. It's not hard to get used to if you're used to the GC controller. Grabbing is weird, since the Z button is in between the two shoulder buttons, but once you get used to that, it's all downhill from there.[/QUOTE]

It was a very long day, but it was very fun. I didn't make it past the second round because I just couldn't get used to the classic control's button layout, and, of course, they wouldn't let you change the button layout or use your own controller. I also wish I could use my main character (Luigi) instead of my secondary character (Ike). My cousin, however, totally owned it up and reached the semi-finals! He started off as Donkey Kong, switched up to Pokemon Trainer for the next two matches, switched to Pikachu for the 4th, then went back to Pokemon Trainer for the rest of the tournament. He lost to the person who eventually won the tournament when his opponent (Fox) got two smash balls back to back and tied up the match to make it sudden death, where a quick Fox was able to out-grab a slow Ivysaur. It was very disappointing to see him lose like that.

What are the characters available from the beginning? I love Captain Falcon, but reading here reminded me he won't be playable from the beginning and I need to weigh my options for the tournament.

20080222.jpg

I plan on using Bowser for the GameStop tournaments, hes got weight and is pretty hard to KO in 1 minute, and he has the best move for getting Smash Balls (his Up+B). Getting a Smash Ball will pretty much guarantee a win in this format. Oh and I used him extensively with a Wiimote at E for All.

I'm pretty upset that my main two won't be unlocked for this GS tournament: Mr. G&W and Luigi. I'll have to go with my third: Ice Climbers.

Does anyone know how the Ice Climbers play in comparison to Melee?

[quote name='CaliforniaKing']It's shipping on the 9th so my guess is that it'll be available in stores on monday or tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe the 9th is the street date. Otherwise GameStop wouldn't be having midnight releases on 8th at midnight.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Actually, I believe the 9th is the street date. Otherwise GameStop wouldn't be having midnight releases on 8th at midnight.[/quote]

Yep. The street date is definitely Sunday. The only other titles I've known to have Sunday release dates have been Nintendo titles, namely Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (and the Wii launch titles, but those don't count). Brawl is definitely another of those Sunday titles.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']We need a Poll on what control scheme people will be using. Im using my regular Gamecube controller.[/quote]

I'm gonna say the wiimote only becuase I read on dojo how you would use the wiimote and i went home and tried out how the feel would be and it was very comfortable. If i suck with that then ill probally go CC or GC but i can't stand the guard buttons on the GC controller.:bomb:

[quote name='Mrcapcom']I'm gonna say the wiimote only becuase I read on dojo how you would use the wiimote and i went home and tried out how the feel would be and it was very comfortable. If i suck with that then ill probally go CC or GC but i can't stand the guard buttons on the GC controller.:bomb:[/quote]

Seeing as how I only have 1 GC controller I'll probably say Wiimote, but I would like to give the CC a shot.

If my GC has it, ill be there to get it and play it that night, but if they open that morning, once our preacher says the last Amen, i'll be 1/2 way there!

[quote name='snipegod']I'm pretty upset that my main two won't be unlocked for this GS tournament: Mr. G&W and Luigi. I'll have to go with my third: Ice Climbers.

Does anyone know how the Ice Climbers play in comparison to Melee?[/quote]
They play a lot better, from what it seems. I lost in my last round to a pair of extremely aggro Climbers. They seem to hit a bit harder than in Melee, and their FS is pretty good. You can be standing anywhere around their mountain, and still take heavy, ever-increasing damage.

With the One-minute matches on the GS first round I'm not sure what to play as really I've been thinking of King Dedede or Zelda/Sheik.

The GS I pre-ordered at is the only store near me holding the midnight launch and tourny, the employee I talked to said the tourny thing started at 10pm or something so I'll call a few days before to make sure so I can come a little early also he had said they have 85 pre-orders hopefully they'll get enough for people who come to the midnight release. >.

I've been playing Smash Bros Melee on my Wii with the Wave Bird and find my right thumb ramping a lot. I also can't seem to get used to pulling off moves with the joystick as I'm used to fighting games on the DS and DC controller. Maybe I'll get used to it and I forgot if I used the joystick for the N64 version but it's more frustrating than I'd like.

I am also not a fan of the minus button being throw. Edit Nintendojo says you can press B and 2 at the same time to throw - can anyone confirm?

Guess I'll keep my options open - although I'd feel bad if I didn't use the Wave Birds since that's the reason I bought them. :(

Suggestions anyone?

[quote name='Ecofreak']I've been playing Smash Bros Melee on my Wii with the Wave Bird and find my right thumb ramping a lot. I also can't seem to get used to pulling off moves with the joystick as I'm used to fighting games on the DS and DC controller. Maybe I'll get used to it and I forgot if I used the joystick for the N64 version but it's more frustrating than I'd like.

I am also not a fan of the minus button being throw. Edit Nintendojo says you can press B and 2 at the same time to throw - can anyone confirm?

Guess I'll keep my options open - although I'd feel bad if I didn't use the Wave Birds since that's the reason I bought them. :(

Suggestions anyone?[/quote]

On the Smash Bros Dojo Site it has a section just for stuff like that and shows u ever combonation for the wii troller
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/basic/basic07.html

To grab, hold down the B Button and press the 2 Button.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Needs a N64 version of the classic controller. That thing is perfect for smash.[/quote]

I think you can buy converters for that. They got converters for anything these days.

I'm thinking a heavier character will be useful for the 1 minute midnight Gamestop rounds. No chance of getting hit enough to smashed away...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Anybody else watching smash videos daily in preparation for this game?[/quote]
I've been watching videos on You Tube since the jap release.
I'm watching some now. :lol:

[quote name='foltzie']I'm thinking a heavier character will be useful for the 1 minute midnight Gamestop rounds. No chance of getting hit enough to smashed away...[/QUOTE]

I imagine with only one minute, a lot of matches will end up in sudden death.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I imagine with only one minute, a lot of matches will end up in sudden death.[/QUOTE]

Good chance. The tie breaker is a rematch, but I the rules are vague if thats only considered if there is a double KO.

Also Pikachu with his 20% damage regular smash has to be a good option for this first round.

All this 1-minute hullabaloo makes me even more sure that I'm going to stick with D3. He got me as far as I did at last weekend thanks to his weight, minions, and "Best Forward Smash in da Game."

The Sears I work at has not received the game yet... however the Sears.com website shows the game as in stock and ready to ship...

(Store is Champaign, IL... I work in electronics)

[quote name='BigMastadon']The Sears I work at has not received the game yet... however the Sears.com website shows the game as in stock and ready to ship...

(Store is Champaign, IL... I work in electronics)[/quote]

I saw the article Daroga mentioned and checked Sears.com immediately and noticed the same thing. It would be cool to score one early, but I have a GC for BB that I am going to use to get it for free so I'll be waiting.

Just called a nearby store. They do have them in, but he apparently has been fielding calls about it for a bit now.

Said he cannot sell it until March 9.

[quote name='Rig']Just called a nearby store. They do have them in, but he apparently has been fielding calls about it for a bit now.

Said he cannot sell it until March 9.[/quote]
This.

What the hell is Nintendo's problem? They've been constantly selling out of Wiis, but I guess, based on the marketing decision to push Brawl to Mar. 9, Nintendo isn't making enough money so they have to delay a game despite it being finished 2 weeks behind the old schedule. If they worked harder/hired more people, I'd imagine they could easily finish by the old date of Feb. 10. I can't remember the last time Nintendo gave a date for something that wasn't pushed back.

So, I called Sears and I asked them if they had Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Wii, and the woman on the phone confirmed they did, and said they had 3 on sale, and repeated the name for me. When I got there, another woman was there (as far as I could tell, from the voice), and said "Didn't you call? I told you we didn't have any in." That doesn't add up.

[quote name='Doomed']This.

What the hell is Nintendo's problem? They've been constantly selling out of Wiis, but I guess, based on the marketing decision to push Brawl to Mar. 9, Nintendo isn't making enough money so they have to delay a game despite it being finished 2 weeks behind the old schedule. If they worked harder/hired more people, I'd imagine they could easily finish by the old date of Feb. 10. I can't remember the last time Nintendo gave a date for something that wasn't pushed back.[/quote]

The store itself is about an hour away (round-trip).

I may make a worthless attempt at getting it tomorrow. A sob story about seeing it for sale online (which is true) and spending the gas to come get it may convince somebody.

Unless it physically comes up on the register not to sell it. In which case, I would just have wasted the gas.

Anyone actually catch an item number on this? Since they took it down off the sears site I dont have it anymore... was gonna run into work and look it up in the computers

EDIT- Still had it in my cart... Sears Item # 058 92214

Edit #2 - Just called my store and none in stock... had him look up the item number for me and we have 4 ON ORDER... just none on hand yet. Usually for us when a product is on order, it will be there that week. Hopefully tomorrow.

So this WILL be available on the 9th, am I right? Like, I walk into a store on that Sunday and it'll be there.. RIGHT?

I don't have this pre-ordered, but whatever.

[quote name='lilboo']So this WILL be available on the 9th, am I right? Like, I walk into a store on that Sunday and it'll be there.. RIGHT?

I don't have this pre-ordered, but whatever.[/quote]

Yep. It is set to be sold on the Sunday.

Also, did anyone grab a screenshot of Brawl on the Sears site?

[quote name='GizmoGC']It will be available Thursday/Friday from Wal-Mart for sure. They will put it out early.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they can physically sell it though. When I was working there a few years ago, I tried to buy Mario Party 5 when we got it a week early and the register would say "LOL NOPE" :whistle2:(

I saw tonight that Wal-Mart already has ads up for it when you walk in.

I'd venture to say that this going to be a strictly street dated game in the computers. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is fairly harsh about that, especially with big games.

... now I just have to figure out *when* on Sunday Wal-Mart will put it out. :D

Actually, in terms of strictness computer wise... when I had my co-worker input the numbers on the phone, also had him do a mock transaction and nothing stopped him from completing the sale. So Sears wise... there's nothing blocking it at the moment.

[quote name='GizmoGC']It will be available Thursday/Friday from Wal-Mart for sure. They will put it out early.[/quote]

Either them or Target is who I'm counting on seeing as every EB/BB is out of preorders around here:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Hell, I could get lucky and go in early hours to Sam's Club as apart of my business entrance and pick it up that way maybe.

This game is going to be a monster. Every store is still sold out of Wiis, and this game just keeps feeding demand/interest/sales of the Wii. I can't wait for it to be out.

If not at those stores, then off to Fry's. Fry's'll have a shit ton load of these I expect. Fry's had something like 500 first day of Halo and then had more come in over the weekend.

[quote name='007']I saw tonight that Wal-Mart already has ads up for it when you walk in.

I'd venture to say that this going to be a strictly street dated game in the computers. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is fairly harsh about that, especially with big games.

... now I just have to figure out *when* on Sunday Wal-Mart will put it out. :D[/QUOTE]

Any 24 hour Wal-Marts in your area? If it's midnite, they have to sell it to you. Even if it's still locked up in the backroom and not out on display, a game this big will DEF be in stock and you can bitch/complain until you make a manager go get it :)
I'm going to see if any stores are doing midnite releases. Any words on if stores will be doing this?

[quote name='lilboo']Any 24 hour Wal-Marts in your area? If it's midnite, they have to sell it to you. Even if it's still locked up in the backroom and not out on display, a game this big will DEF be in stock and you can bitch/complain until you make a manager go get it :)
I'm going to see if any stores are doing midnite releases. Any words on if stores will be doing this?[/QUOTE]

Kotaku has pics of a WalMart Drop in Endcap or a 4-Way for Smash Bros... Its doubtful that it will be overlooked...

I cant think of another game that was given a dedicated endcap or four-way.*

*Note dedicated and full priced... Normally those games are locked up.

bread's done
Back