Super Smash Gimmick 2: Last Tourney Week Tonight (6/5) @ 7pm pst (IRC @ 6:30pm)

evergoo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Two years is a long time for the interwebs. For the CAG Brawl community, this time span has led to 5 Smash tournaments, brilliant personal Smash signatures, continued friendships in other games, and hundreds of Smash hours.

In celebration of Smash's two-year anniversary, I will be hosting one final tournament to hurt everyone's backlog again. This 6th CAG Smash tournament will consist of 3 weekly tournaments. So what's the gimmick this time? One-timers.

Just a reminder: This is a gimmick tournament. I wanted to liven things up with more variety so expect many suicides, unfamiliar picks, and most importantly, laughter. :cool:

General Rules
  • 1-on-1 matches.
  • 3 stock, no items, & 3 rounds per matchup.
  • Stages are chosen in this manner: Home, Away, Home. Home = Player with the highest +/- stock ratio.
  • Every stage is acceptable except for the following 6:
    • 75 m
    • New Pork City
    • Rumble Falls
    • Mushroomy Kingdom
    • Mute City
    • Hyrule Temple
  • Each player can only pick a character once throughout this tournament so choose wisely.
    For example, selecting DK in tourney #1 means no DK in tourneys #2 & 3.
  • For every weekly tournament, please show up in the IRC (CLICK HERE). Brackets are set up randomly and we will Smash until we crown a weekly winner.
  • Winner of each weekly tournament will be gifted a prize worth up to 500 Wii Points. Top 3 players will win either a $10 PSN Voucher or gifts worth up to $10 for iTunes and 1000 Wii Points.
  • Points for Tournament Placement: 1 pt = participation , 3 pts = won round 1, 5 pts = won round 2, ...

Registered Players/Friend Codes
  • evergoo/Marc (4425-1135-4604)
  • dmunkee/RandL (4511-0125-6075)
  • dyeknom/Mnkyd (0774-3909-7377)
  • Strell/Strell (1032-0903-4842)
  • JoeB1223/JoeB (3909-7175-1835)
  • Rig/Rig (2621-2267-1653)
  • foltzie/Foltz (1418-6899-8373)
  • BlueLobstah/blue (4897-5594-5432)
  • FallMoon/Sammy (2750-0760-0334)
  • Jack/Jack (0387-8592-8999)
  • Rocky435/Rocky (0216-0452-5523)
  • oemor/? (1676-6299-5857)

Frequently Asked Questions (as formulated and answered by evergoo)
Q: What the Shaq-fu?! Why the change in rules?!!
A: Because many people are busy in May and I wanted to shorten the tournament while also increasing avid participation.

Q: What the Shaq-fu x 2?! Why are you giving out so many prizes?!! Are you Santa?!!
A: No, I cannot be Santa because I am neither white nor fat. I am going back to school soon so I won't be taking my PS3 or Wii. Hence the 'Christmas' feeling. Besides, none of these are out-of-pocket expenses. I am also THAT confident that I will steal one of the top 3 prizes since I am running this rig...I mean gig. ;)

Q: Wait a minute, something's not right. Does that mean I don't have to show up weekly to join this tournament? I can drop by whenever I want?
A: Yes and yes! Understand though that you probably won't place in the top 3 if you miss a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reserved for my Statistician, the lobster in Strell's pants, BlueLobstah.

I'm in.

It would also be great if we could segment by region (i.e. east coast/west coast) to help minimize some of the lag. It may not be avoidable but could be taken into consideration?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']It would also be great if we could segment by region (i.e. east coast/west coast) to help minimize some of the lag. It may not be avoidable but could be taken into consideration?[/QUOTE]
I'll try my best to schedule accordingly.

I also sent out PMs to Smash veterans to speed up the enrollment process.

Count me in. I'll have to get my Brawl code from the earlier thread later...unless somebody is kind enough to do that for me. ;)

[quote name='evergoo']I'll try my best to schedule accordingly.[/QUOTE]

As an added side effect, it might also help with scheduling times if timezones are the same/close.

What kind of statistics are you looking for? I still have the smashleague site and could probably easily modify it to throw together the statistics and anything else we need.

In and I support gimmicks, especially Final Smashes. (Cause I may win with those turned on)

Warning, I'm moving soon (as in on the 17th), hoping to have the Interwebs tube moved on the 17 or 18th.... But....

Name: foltzie
SSB: 1418-6899-8373
SSB Nick: foltzie
State: Indiana

(uh go Butler?)

[quote name='yukine']It would not be a real Smash tournament without a sandbag. Count me in. ;)[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoa whoa. Didnt I win that coveted title?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']What kind of statistics are you looking for? I still have the smashleague site and could probably easily modify it to throw together the statistics and anything else we need.[/QUOTE]
Blue = Goo's Statistician. Stat categories should be similar to Joe's Smash Records when the 3 of us hosted. Joe, I have a dead link now. Care to do a repost?
[quote name='foltzie']Congrats on grad school, what subject?[/QUOTE]
MA/Single-Subject Teaching Credential in Education @ Stanford University. 12-month program = Stanford's bitch.
[quote name='foltzie']Whoa whoa whoa. Didnt I win that coveted title?[/QUOTE]
Blue, did you delete the Sandbag match I had with Foltzie and Yukine? I can't find it on YouTube. Also, who won between you two? I don't remember who is CAG's "Ultimate Loser." ;)

Im in, as long as we can schedule around puberty... errr my torture of playing as Hope from Final Fantasy 13. ><

I dont remember my code offhand, but it's still the same as the one in my sig.

Local: N. TexasS

You know what, count me out. I'm going to be pretty busy in the next couple of weeks, crunch time for the end of the semester and I have a bunch of other crap to do.

Sorry goo.

I've given it a few days and no one else has responded from the 20+ veteran invitations I've sent out. I'll bump the general thread once more.

Regardless, I hope everyone's still in for an 8-man hoe down. :)

[quote name='FallMoon']*Sniffle* I'll join. The name of this tournament is so...sad. Don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Yep, you are old arent ya.

Count me in! I'll prepare for the event by... Not practicing at all. HIJINKS COMMENCE :lol:

dmunkee/RandL (4511-0125-6075) California

I'm in too. :) I haven't played Brawl in awhile, this is going to be interesting.:lol:

I need to find my friend code too.

I'm going to pass for now, thanks for remembering I still existed though. I haven't logged into CAG for 5 months.

So here's an update everyone. I've been contemplating for the LONGEST time about canceling this because of the poor turnout.

HOWEVER, I am changing the tourney format to accommodate the needs of more people.

The Gist: 3 consecutive weeks of tournaments on Friday or Saturday nights. No repeat characters allowed for any tourney (e.g. DK for tourney #1 => no DK for tourneys #2 & #3). Highest aggregate for all 3 tourneys = grand champion.

I'll pester everyone via PM once more.

[quote name='zerowing']Can I still sign up? Man its been so long since I brawled.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you and any other CAG can still sign up. :)

OK, I've been feeling better lately so I think I will join this tourney Marc has been so generous to put together :D

Is anyone going to practice for this or can we all just button mash?

Daisydog/Janet
Texas
0473-7480-5534

Impromptu Friendlies @ 5pm pst today. See ya in the IRC.

Tomorrow, I declare we play with only a wiimote and nunchuk just for giggles.

Not sure what time to start the Friday tourneys so I threw up a poll.

EDIT: Ugh. I forgot to add multiple selections. Contacting mod now.

Fyi for all those interested: it's never too late to sign up...unless you join after the 3-week tourney's over. :p

It begins tonight @ 7pm pst (10pm est). :cool:

Today? I should be able to make it. The later the better though. Guess I'll practice in a little bit, see if I can remember what all the buttons do :lol:

I'll be sitting in the IRC beginning at 6:30pm pst. This week's tourney is gonna be hilarious. I don't think ANYONE practiced. :lol:

bread's done
Back