Superman to be rebooted.... AGAIN!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Returns wasn't that bad. People actually enjoyed it during the midnight showing and was clapping a lot during some of the good scenes, like when Superman saves the plane from crashing into the stadium.[/QUOTE]

That's the only good scene in the entire movie. Period. :p

I think the idea of a reboot at this point is ridiculous. Returns was enough Superman for me for quite a while. That being said, however, I would kill for a Death of Superman movie. Kill.

I have always disliked superman. He is so boring to watch when you know he has to win every single time unless they come up with some dumbass story.

So the only story line that is even worth watching Superman vs Doomsday and the animated movie was pure shit as it only contained about 10 min of Man on Day action.

You make a movie that is solely about Doomsday kicking superman ass and I will watch it....all else is pointless.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']That's the only good scene in the entire movie. Period. :p

I think the idea of a reboot at this point is ridiculous. Returns was enough Superman for me for quite a while. That being said, however, I would kill for a Death of Superman movie. Kill.[/quote]

It was kinda funny how the crowd in the movie was cheering on superman after he saved the plane and everyone in the main audience was doing the same. :rofl: it's like Superman really saved the day!

I'm very happy that they are rebooting the Superman film series, I would like to see a film where his big fight isn't being beat up by Luxor's thugs on a kryptonite island. Maybe Brainiac, Bizzaro or Darkseid.

I'm also hoping they don't do another origin story, I don't want half of the next Superman movie wasted by retelling his origin.

The fact is, the people writing movies have too little imagination to do Superman properly. There are plenty of good Superman stories told in the comics that could be used as source material. Superman For All Seasons, for example, would be a fine source of an origin-type story. The emotional resonance is a good as anything I've ever read in a Superman comic. It even manages to use Lex Luthor as a real character to balance Superman.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']The fact is, the people writing movies have too little imagination to do Superman properly. There are plenty of good Superman stories told in the comics that could be used as source material. Superman For All Seasons, for example, would be a fine source of an origin-type story. The emotional resonance is a good as anything I've ever read in a Superman comic. It even manages to use Lex Luthor as a real character to balance Superman.[/QUOTE]

It is interesting that you bring up Lex Luthor as a balacnce to Superman. I saw this article about
how to get better villains. It brought up some interesting arguments. I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

http://io9.com/5039185/why-we-deserve-better-villains--and-how-to-get-them

Darker superman?

EPIC FAIL.

I was worried that TDK doing so well would send the message to WB execs that people want all dark superhero movies now...but you'd think that Iron Man would counter that...

I still rather the WB execs get the message that a darker Batman can work and we should get our damn Dark Knight Returns movie with an R rating.

[quote name='anomynous']Cage sucks hard, barely better than Keanu Reeves.[/QUOTE]

No, he really does rock:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo[/media]

Singer had a real grasp of Superman... he really got the material.

I'm disappointed it's going to go this way.

and if you reboot, don't you need Lex as the main villain AGAIN?

I was hoping the sequel would finally roll past him.

I like Singer as a director, I really really liked his Xmen films and the Usual Suspects. I really really hated his Superman movie. It was more about his own issues with his own adoption and feelings of abadonment, then about Superman. In turn every other character in the movie fell flat, especially his Luther, who was too bafoonish. Also the Super-kid may have the worst movie character since Jar Jar.

Edit: I can't spell

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48159

Even before I read the article I said to myself, "It's because TIC reboot was good, that's why they did it."

Funny I thought Returns was ok, except for the kid part.[/quote]
TIC?[quote name='Mr. Anderson']That's the only good scene in the entire movie. Period. :p

I think the idea of a reboot at this point is ridiculous. Returns was enough Superman for me for quite a while. That being said, however, I would kill for a Death of Superman movie. Kill.[/quote]Death of Supes was greatness.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I have always disliked superman. He is so boring to watch when you know he has to win every single time unless they come up with some dumbass story.

So the only story line that is even worth watching Superman vs Doomsday and the animated movie was pure shit as it only contained about 10 min of Man on Day action.

You make a movie that is solely about Doomsday kicking superman ass and I will watch it....all else is pointless.[/quote]Superman is a superhero... of course he's going to win. I've always hated that argument. Did anyone really think Spiderman was going to lose against venom? That's the sort of argument people used against MK vs DCU. (but how can Scorpion possibly be strong enough to hurt Superman?) Is Superman really strong? yes. That doesn't mean you can't have villains strong enough to hurt him.* That said I agree whole-heartedly about the Doomsday animated movie. I didn't like the art style they choose for Superman but I could let that go if everything else didn't suck so hard. Let's start with Lois doesn't know Clark's secret and then it's all downhill from there.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Darker superman?

EPIC FAIL.

I was worried that TDK doing so well would send the message to WB execs that people want all dark superhero movies now...but you'd think that Iron Man would counter that...[/quote]Seriously I said the same thing after Life&Death when they gave Superman a black suit. Which was I'm sure a response to Spawn-mania. What the heck man..? what's wrong with these people Superman works because he's the golden boy. Batman works because he isn't. You don't need every hero to mix and match like that.

[quote name='anomynous']Cage sucks hard, barely better than Keanu Reeves.

That's why they gave him ghost rider.[/quote]I'm pretty sure Cage begged for Ghostrider (not that it makes it any better). For the record I love National Treasure (1) and what about Con Air and The Rock those were great. (though Cage's contribute to the latter could be argued.

* I especially hated this argument from my Marvel friends who favor characters like Galactus and Mr Sinister. who from what I've been told make Superman look like paper mache

Last edited by a moderator:
DC comics wanting to go dark, umm...... isn't that what Vertigo was for?

Also, these comic book to movie adaptations that have done well lately offer a plausible way for the main character to become the superhero, Batman, Iron Man, Spider-man all seemed to be of believable origin.

Superman never will be believable and I doubt they can even make an engaging movie about him. Never any struggle with him, it is either, Wow, I am super, or hey get that Kryptonite away from me. It is Pass / Fail and that is not what these successful comic book movies have done.

On a side note, I enjoy Smallville, but I am not looking forward to this season after the last half of last season, but will still watch it.

ok, everyone keeps saying that the reason for this reboot is cause Superman Returns sucks. Yes, it's does, it has 2 good action scenes, a stalker superman, basically no clark kent, and a horribly cast lois lane. The thing is this movie made no money. It somehow cost $270 million and only made $200 million domestic.

Am I happy for a rebbot? Not really, I feel Singer could have learned from his mistakes and made the next one great (he did it with xmen), and also we had lex as a villian out of the way. Since their going with a reboot though we're stuck his Luthor, don't get me wrong I love Luthor in the comics, but I hate him in the movies. They need to make Luthor an actually genius 1 step ahead of supes and make him more of a business man. He needs to be a man of actual power who doesn't fight superman directly.

You know what, tell the origin again while you're at it, even if everyone knows it, it still establishes his human side very well.

[quote name='MrBrando']ok, everyone keeps saying that the reason for this reboot is cause Superman Returns sucks. Yes, it's does, it has 2 good action scenes, a stalker superman, basically no clark kent, and a horribly cast lois lane. The thing is this movie made no money. It somehow cost $270 million and only made $200 million domestic.

Am I happy for a rebbot? Not really, I feel Singer could have learned from his mistakes and made the next one great (he did it with xmen), and also we had lex as a villian out of the way. Since their going with a reboot though we're stuck his Luthor, don't get me wrong I love Luthor in the comics, but I hate him in the movies. They need to make Luthor an actually genius 1 step ahead of supes and make him more of a business man. He needs to be a man of actual power who doesn't fight superman directly.

You know what, tell the origin again while you're at it, even if everyone knows it, it still establishes his human side very well.[/quote]

to clarify, it cost $270 million, but that counts preproduction on all the other failed Superman sequels... including Nicholas Cage's $20 million salary for a movie he never had to film.

So that shit is bogus, if they want to hold those other costs to the movie, fine, but it isn't very fair to the people involved in the final movie.

I wouldn't downgrade Lobo to a Superman villain. He needs his own movie 2.5 hours of Lobo just taking names, forcefully.

[quote name='Wolfkin']He needs his own movie 2.5 hours of Lobo just taking names, forcefully.[/QUOTE]

I second this. Except for a Reid Fleming film, this is the one I've been waiting for to be made

[quote name='Wolfkin']I wouldn't downgrade Lobo to a Superman villain. He needs his own movie 2.5 hours of Lobo just taking names, forcefully.[/quote]

I fully agree he should get his own movie. I just want a surprise cameo, thus letting me know its coming.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i hear he might throw a punch in the new movie, i am stoked[/quote]

:applause:

He didnt do anything in the new film! That drive me crazy. It was so boring. And can we get someone who knows how to act over just looking like superman?

Its going to be a tough film to make. alot of stuff is going to have to be altered and I cant imagine how to make the suit look good, or darker, its just a chesse ball design.

To the Lex Luthor comment about people 'knowing him' so they will keep recyling him; i can totally see them doing that. But they cant play it safe. The audience doesnt need to be catered too. Dark Knight did its own thing and didnt slowly explain the story, it just jumped right in and didnt care if you got it or not. Bruce waynes struggles are human, not supernatural so its hard to relate to Kent.

Batmans reboot was ground in reality so it made it believable, which is the key. I cant see superman working, only if they made some intense over the top battles that destroy everything and they dont hold anything back.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I'm pretty sure Cage begged for Ghostrider (not that it makes it any better). For the record I love National Treasure (1) and what about Con Air and The Rock those were great. (though Cage's contribute to the latter could be argued.[/QUOTE]

Con Air does not hold up well. I watched it recently after loving it growing up and...ugh, so bad. Fun to watch, but a weak film.

And I liked Superman Returns. This whole reboot shit is stupid.

sir i must protest I just caught Con Air on TBS last weekend and I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, Steve Buscemi was hilariously awesome.

yeah I almost regret buying the current edition. I'd buy this, maybe, if they included the entire death of Superman saga on the bonus disc. preferably with Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Supermen.. I almost wanted to cry when I realized the bonus disc that contained 'Exclusive CD-ROM Comic Book' was just one issue.

bread's done
Back