Surface Pro now live on Bestbuy.com - I KNOW ITS NOT A DEAL

hwong3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know this is NOT a deal, but some people want to pick it up on launch day (as I do), so PLEASE DON'T HATE ON ME OR ON THE SURFACE PRO.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microso...&skuId=7952262&st=microsoft surface&cp=1&lp=5

Link went live for in store pick up at Union Square. Maybe others to follow.

So if you didn't get your reservation cards at the Microsoft Store (as I didn't since they ran out in Manhattan), here's your chance.

Holy shit, $1,000? The whole idea was that the Surface would be an affordable alternative to iPads. I could buy a good gaming laptop for that...

[quote name='Blade']Holy shit, $1,000? The whole idea was that the Surface would be an affordable alternative to iPads. I could buy a good gaming laptop for that...[/QUOTE]

And in fact, it is. Runs most PC games (anything that will run on Windows 8 -- NOT limited to RT). Fired up Metro 2033, Halo and Call of Duty without any problem. AND it works with my Xbox 360 controller. ;-) It's a 1.7 Ghz Core i5 processor with 4 GB of ram. It's a REAL laptop, not a toy like the iPad. A complete laptop replacement in the size and portability of a tablet.

[quote name='hwong3']And in fact, it is. Runs most PC games (anything that will run on Windows 8 -- NOT limited to RT). Fired up Metro 2033, Halo and Call of Duty without any problem. AND it works with my Xbox 360 controller. ;-) It's a 1.7 Ghz Core i5 processor with 4 GB of ram. It's a REAL laptop, not a toy like the iPad. A complete laptop replacement in the size and portability of a tablet.[/QUOTE]

Except you can get a much more powerful laptop for that price, so it isn't a cheap tablet for competition to an iPad, or a cheap laptop to compete with laptops.

The touch cover is $130 also....so, factor that in also. Seems like a high price point (IMO). I suppose it is comparable to those other touch laptops that swivel 180 degrees.

[quote name='doubledown']The touch cover is $130 also....so, factor that in also. Seems like a high price point (IMO). I suppose it is comparable to those other touch laptops that swivel 180 degrees.[/QUOTE]

Surface Pro is a great machine, but unless you really need the smaller form factor of the tablet, it seems a little expensive when for $999 you can get a Lenovo Yoga 13 with the same specs, in a slightly larger chassis with a built in keyboard.

I used an RT for a while and the problem is that even with the type cover(which is a great keyboard, btw), if you are trying to use the keyboard you really need to be on a hard surface like a table with the kickstand up. If you are sitting on the couch you have to awkwardly prop it up on your leg or something. Until I used the surface, I never realized how important the stiff hinges are on a normal laptop.

bread's done
Back