Surge Protectors?

Transformah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all, I'm looking for some help getting a new surge protector for my new HDTV. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what to get. I don't want to spend too much money (under $50), but I'd like to get something that will protect my new baby. Ideas?

Not so much advice, just my two cents: My chimney was hit by lightning last Thursday and my router and Xbox were both fried. My TV, cable box, DVD, VCR were all unharmed. Everything was plugged into the same surge protector so it seems kinda hit or miss - pardon the pun. I'm thinking about unplugging the HDTV for storms in the future.

I use a Belkins surge protector, seems to do the trick. Watch Bensbargains.net daily for a deal.

I've always just had problems with the telephone line as well - lightning fried out two of my parent's modems.

Check the packaging when you buy- some brands offer a big replacement guarantee if your stuff gets fried. You might want one of those.

I have a Radio-shack brand one, and a Woods brand one, and so far everything's good- but I haven't dealt with anything worse than a blackout, so....

[quote name='MrBadExample']Not so much advice, just my two cents: My chimney was hit by lightning last Thursday and my router and Xbox were both fried. My TV, cable box, DVD, VCR were all unharmed. Everything was plugged into the same surge protector so it seems kinda hit or miss - pardon the pun. I'm thinking about unplugging the HDTV for storms in the future.[/QUOTE]

You need to make sure your outlets are properly grounded - thats the only way the surge protectors work.

Like someone said, make sure your actual outlets are grounded too. If they were installed more than a couple years ago, they probably aren't. You can purchase a piece of copper wire at your local hardware store and do it yourself, they cost less than $1 I'm pretty sure. Just make sure you cut power to that outlet, unscrew it, wrap the wire around a screw on the outlet, screw the wire into the back of the outlet box, and reattach it and you're all set. The wiring in my house is fairly old, so one day last summer while I was working with an interior remodeling business they let me have some of those grounds and I fixed up all the outlets in my room since I have so many electronics hooked up constantly. You should also change your outlets to the ones with 3 holes for further protection if they are not this way already.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Like someone said, make sure your actual outlets are grounded too. If they were installed more than a couple years ago, they probably aren't. You can purchase a piece of copper wire at your local hardware store and do it yourself, they cost less than $1 I'm pretty sure. Just make sure you cut power to that outlet, unscrew it, wrap the wire around a screw on the outlet, screw the wire into the back of the outlet box, and reattach it and you're all set. The wiring in my house is fairly old, so one day last summer while I was working with an interior remodeling business they let me have some of those grounds and I fixed up all the outlets in my room since I have so many electronics hooked up constantly. You should also change your outlets to the ones with 3 holes for further protection if they are not this way already.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about grounding my outlets but I kinda chickened out. I didnt want to cause an electrical problem in my apartment.

I'm just concerned that I'll electrocute myself. I'm checking with the landlord to see if he can do it, or have an electrician do it.

bread's done
Back