Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Big Hero 6. For my final film of the year (and next year until Avengers 2) it was amazing. A lot of fun, a lot of heart, and kept up the momentum even at the end.

Raw Force(AKA Kung Fu Cannibals):

First off the cover for this is badass

81HiLKHw1SL._SL1478_.jpg

If you enjoy grindhouse films,then give it a watch. By no means a good film,but it is so wacky with really no dull moments.

The Universal Monster Movies aren't even going to try to be scary. http://io9.com/universals-monster-verse-movies-arent-even-going-to-try-1659382706

If you liked that Frankenstein movie from last year, and the Dracula Untold this year, you're going to like their plans for the Avengers of monster movies.

This is just awful, like peeing on the monuments that basically defined modern monster movie making. Why do I like Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mummy, and the Wolfman. Because the monsters didn't have to just scare you, the movies had to instill fear into you using what ails society at the time, and it was quite subtle and thoughtful especially if you are a student of history.

I guess audiences these days just want action packed films in the vein of Transformers or Marvel. Any intellectual thought in movies is solely reserved for bullsh- opuses like Looper and Inception, or drama movies old people will only watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm glad I'm not a cynic like you. I just watch movies I'm interested in instead of paying attention to bad movies or trends.

Touch of Evil:

Excellent noir. Orson Welles played such an interesting in this.

Nightbreed: Director's Cut

Way better pacing than the theatrical cut which improves the film greatly. The film still has it's issues(some hilariously bad performances,and underdeveloped characters). Highly entertaining with the highlights being the designs of the monsters and the excellent makeup on them.

^I'm glad I'm not a cynic like you. I just watch movies I'm interested in instead of paying attention to bad movies or trends.
Yeah. I mean, I would love a good universal monster movie revival. But since it's going to suck, and has sucked, I'll just watch something else.

If you are a hardcore fan of the old movies I could see it be something to get angry at though.

Yeah, good score. If I were to rate the three first time english speaking korean directors films in order i'd go.

Stoker (Park Chan Wook), Snowpiercer (Bong Joon-ho) and The Last Stand (Kim Jee Woon)

Snowpiercer also was a bit like The Raid on a train. Mixed with Hunger Games-esque class stuff. Which might make it seem not that original but it's definitely a great watch.

House on Haunted Hill (original):

It's corny and silly,but it's undeniably fun. Vincent Price is great like usual,and the twist at the end was actually surprising.

Kindergarten Cop - Just as fun and charming as I remember, but Universal really put no effort in the Blu-ray. The movie automatically starts up when you put in the disc, the menu is simply pasted on the movie itself, only extra is the trailer, and the menu is so generic it doesn't even have the title.

The Iceman - Not as bad as I was expecting. I thought it was going to be endless killings and so on, but it wasn't as gruesome as I was expecting. 

V/H/S Viral - I like the first 2 a lot but this one was pretty terrible.  They put way too much emphasis on how the videos are linked together but it was dumb and nobody gives a shit about that.  I just want to see good shorts and these 3 were really stupid.

Just watched Terminator 3 for the second time. Holds up very well IMO.....Maybe that because most modern action movies don't try too hard outside of the special effects ....

Just watched Terminator 3 for the second time. Holds up very well IMO.....Maybe that because most modern action movies don't try too hard outside of the special effects ....
I wasn't a fan of the film,but that crane chase scene was extremely well done. Done today it would mostly be CGI.

Sorcerer(1977):

Such a shame this masterpiece bombed. Great example of a film you just can't make today. Amazing set-pieces such as a truck being driven across a rickety bridge. Does have a slow burn start,but it helps set up the players and the tone.

The Adventures of Robin Hood:

It's a great swashbuckling film. It has some excellent stunt work too. Then Errol Flynn who is great as the title character.

Grave of the Fireflies:

Depressing as all hell.

X-Men Days Of Future Past

Skipped out of First Class so I thought this was going to be a confusing jumbled mess, but was actually very well told and easy to follow. Jennifer Lawrence stole the show I thought.

5/5

Premium Rush. Michael Shannon is indeed a hilarious villain, and I liked him so much more in this movie compared to Man of Steel. JGL is great as usual. Dania Ramirez is damn hot. Aasif Mandvi hilarious. I noticed Anthony Chisholm in the movie from watching a few August Wilson productions last year. If they make a sequel, it should be Wilee vs the Bicycle Cop. They make such great rivals.

It's not official. It's a promotional campaign like when politicians put signs on people's yards.

That being said, Transformers 4 absolutely deserves at least a Special Effects nod, but that will probably go to Maleficient since comic book and toy-story movies are beneath the Oscar people.

Boy, 

Loved it. I like pretty much anything Taika Waititi does, and this was clearly my favorite of his so far. Eagle Vs. Shark was alright, but this one was my favorite of his. Can't wait to see What We Do In The Shadows now. 

The Duff - 2/5
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D - 4/5
Horrible Bosses 2 - 1/5
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D High Frame Rate - 4/5
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - 1/5
The Wedding Ringer - 3/5

bread's done
Back