Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='camoor'] and ending in a fight on a ridiculously oversized bomber powered by a magic energy cube.[/QUOTE]

Don't bring the cosmic cube into your list of things you hate about the movie when you don't know any backstory.

And I agree with Clak, don't go into a movie about people with superpowers and expect it to be realistic. Batman is realistic because hes not a superhero.

[quote name='Clak']You can blame the trailer part on stupid advertising decisions. The cosmic cube shows up in the Avengers comics quite a bit, and even though this was Cap's origin movie, they weren't going to ignore the decades of story since his debut in the early part of the last century.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I think my post breaks it down.

Real Steel took itself seriously. I was surprised. It wasn't good by any means and it wasn't Robot Jox but it was far far better than I thought it would be.

[quote name='Golden Idol']Stop talking about "Devil".

Go watch "The Raid".

x59MV.png
[/QUOTE]

I cant apparently the god damn movie doesnt exist anywhere near me.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I cant apparently the god damn movie doesnt exist anywhere near me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. It's not worth driving a hundred miles out of your way to see. It IS worth drive 25 miles out of your way. I enjoyed it A LOT.

On a side note, I'm still selling $100 Fandango Gift Cards for $50.

03/30/12: Alien - 9.6/9.8
03/31/12: Aliens - 9.6/9.8
04/01/12: North by Northwest - 9.7/9.7
04/03/12: Downfall - 8.6/9.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with mom, and wife to see hunger games (mom offered to pay). Liked it, will probably watch the rest of them, but don't care enough to read the books.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I cant apparently the god damn movie doesnt exist anywhere near me.[/QUOTE]

The Raid

The film expanded this week to a number of AMC theaters. It's moved deep into the heart of New Jersey from NYC today.

[quote name='Golden Idol']The Raid

The film expanded this week to a number of AMC theaters. It's moved deep into the heart of New Jersey from NYC today.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I hope it's around where I am. A co worker told me it's better than the first ong bak. Kinda hard to believe though as ong bak was just some serious ass kicking business. I'll check it out at home, can't access much at work.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Cool! I hope it's around where I am. A co worker told me it's better than the first ong bak. Kinda hard to believe though as ong bak was just some serious ass kicking business. I'll check it out at home, can't access much at work.[/QUOTE]

Non-spoiler comment: In its depiction of violence, compared to "Ong Bak", it's a lot more brutal. It's not as good as "Die Hard" as some of the talkback may suggest, but it's everything "The Expendables" wanted to be and failed at.

[quote name='Gden']Went with mom, and wife to see hunger games (mom offered to pay). Liked it, will probably watch the rest of them, but don't care enough to read the books.[/QUOTE]ehh. you're not missing out on a whole lot. While it is an entertaining read as long as you get the gist from the film you're good.

[quote name='Golden Idol']Non-spoiler comment: In its depiction of violence, compared to "Ong Bak", it's a lot more brutal. It's not as good as "Die Hard" as some of the talkback may suggest, but it's everything "The Expendables" wanted to be and failed at.[/QUOTE]
considering that I thought The Expendables was rather successful that's pretty high praise.

i want to watch that but i just couldnt get into it. ill try it again someday i heard they were doing another one and this time jean claude van dam will be in it as the main villan. its a cool concept though to see so many classic action stars in movies together.

[quote name='DestroVega']Expendables was so bad it was good.[/QUOTE]

^This, and I can't believe Chuck Norris wants to ruin the sequel!

Why Chuck why?
:cold:

Shark Night - The title is a lie. There were sharks, sure, but the movie took place mostly during the day. Hardly any night scenes.

[quote name='Golden Idol']Mike/Golden Idol

04/06/12: The Darkest Hour - XXX/4.5
04/06/12: Moon - 9.6/9.5
04/06/12: Frankenstein (1931) - 9.4/9.6[/QUOTE]

Moon was fucking awesome.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Moon was fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

Clint Marshall knocked it out of the park with that score. So good.

Additionally, just want to say, the scene between Frankenstein and the little girl (you'll know it when you see it) is one of the best things in the history of cinema. The movie clocks in at a super short 1 hour and 10 minutes long but it's packed with some of the most memorable scenes ever (It's alive!, the villagers with the torches, the scene with the little girl).

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I can't believe Chuck Norris wants to ruin the sequel!

Why Chuck why?
:cold:[/QUOTE]
Agreed. A lot of people in my timeline try to defend Chucks "it must be PG-13" stance by saying it doesn't hurt the movie.. I simply and politely disagree. Will it make more money. Yes. Will it hurt the movie. Yes. (See also Die Hard 4 "yippie ki-yay *explosion*" just doesn't have the same effect)

[quote name='Wolfkin']Agreed. A lot of people in my timeline try to defend Chucks "it must be PG-13" stance by saying it doesn't hurt the movie.. I simply and politely disagree. Will it make more money. Yes. Will it hurt the movie. Yes. (See also Die Hard 4 "yippie ki-yay *explosion*" just doesn't have the same effect)[/QUOTE]

Stallone now says the movie will be 'R'. Who knows

Rare Exports: I knew i had to see this when i found out it was a horror flick with santa claus and so far its not disappointing. id be scared shitless too if i was that kid even packing heat thats a scary situation. damn and just like that it went and got cheesy lol. way too much elf dong.

Safe House - Not really an original movie, but it was enjoyable. I hated how (super spoilers)
Denzel dies in the end. It served no purpose and it was extremely predictable

Worth watching once though.

[quote name='Golden Idol']Funny movies?

Sex is Zero
See You After School
Save The Green Planet
My Sassy Girl
Attack The Gas Station[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

"The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" remake was fantastic. They probably just wanted to watch Transformers or something.

04/07/12: Invictus - XXX/8.4
04/07/12: Conquest 1453 - 8.8/8.9

"Invictus" was really well made. But ultimately hallow. There was a poignant message there but ultimately the drama wasn't dramatic enough.

Saw "Conquest 1453" in theaters early this morning. Was pretty good and looked almost EXACTLY what I imagined an Assassin's Creed film to look like. The Turkish tale of the Ottoman Turks laying siege onto Constantinople was really well done for a film with a budget of only about $17 million dollars. It's inherently a historical epic / period piece but there were some real nationalistic, feel-good propaganda elements to the film that were hard to gloss over. It definitely lost points for that in my opinion. The low quality CG was made up for by the mucho gusto performances. As such, I got to give the Turks their due credit. It's worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ghM82M568

BTW Ibrahim Celikkol? Biggest cinema badass of the year. We're a third of the way through this year and I haven't seen a more badass performance than by Ibrahim Celikkol in "Conquest 1453'. His on-screen roars of violence will make hair grow on your balls.

Dragon Tatoo was excellent. I hope Fincher is able to make the sequels. Also, One of the best title sequences I've ever seen.
I didn't like that they start having sex, I'd rather have kept that out, but it looks like it might play in to the next story

It's Sunday. Next person to PM me who hasn't already bought a Fandango gift card from me gets a free movie ticket - if there is a Fandango applicable theater near them.

[quote name='Golden Idol']It's Sunday. Next person to PM me who hasn't already bought a Fandango gift card from me gets a free movie ticket - if there is a Fandango applicable theater near them.[/QUOTE]

Huzzah, snagged it. Thanks kind CAG!

04/08/12: Pina - XXX/8.6
04/08/12: Le Silence De La Mer - 9.4/9.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuQVS7q7-A

Pina had some pretty cool movement and dancing. Maybe needed to be fifteen minutes shorter but I can understand that this was a celebration of her work and doing so might have been a slap to her legacy.

20645_Le-Silence-De-La-Mer-08.jpg

"Le Silence De La Mer" was a great classic French film by the magnificent Jean-Pierre Melville. Basically it's about this German officer who gets stationed in this French home owned by an elderly gentleman and his niece. The entire time the officer remains with them, the two show their resistance to him by not speaking a word to him. However, the longer the officer stays, the more he reveals his humanity to them by speaking to them night, even as they do not respond. It was great character study and short at that (1:26 minutes). Well worth watching.

I watched 21 Jump Street with a friend of mine and it was surprisingly good. She didn't feel like watching Hunger Games, I wasn't too keen on it either, so it was either 21 Jumpstreet or Mirror Mirror. Was well worth the price to admission.

Touching the Void.

Good documentary about a couple of mountain climbers climbing in Peru and one getting badly injured.

Watched it on Amazon streaming now that it's been added to the PS3. Nice to have a streaming option for older movies again since I ditched Netflix when they started charging separately, but don't mind paying for Prime since I order a ton and can use the Kindle Lending Library with Prime as well.

Pom Poko, aka Heisei-Era War of the Raccoon Dogs. I thought it was a little long, but I still had a fun time with the movie, nutsacks and ghost monsters 'n all. This deserves to be on tv, so our children can not be indoctrinated with environmental themes, but that it's okay to see rocky mountain oysters on the screen.

The Raid
Hell yeah! One of the best action films in awhile. If you like Tony Jaa you have to see this. There are plenty of "Oh Shit" moments.

[quote name='whoknows']Safe House - Not really an original movie, but it was enjoyable. I hated how (super spoilers)
Worth watching once though.[/QUOTE]

Son of a bitch. I thought you were talking about panic room and clicked on the spoiler. #-o

50/50

I was all excited seeing Morticia Addams in this. The whole cast was pretty damn great despite the movie being pretty damn predictable.

[quote name='DestroVega']Dragon Tatoo was excellent. I hope Fincher is able to make the sequels. Also, One of the best title sequences I've ever seen.
I didn't like that they start having sex, I'd rather have kept that out, but it looks like it might play in to the next story
[/QUOTE]

I take it you never read the books. Let's just say that it is critical to the plot of the next two books.

50/50 has a pretty decent commentary track. They don't spend a lot of time talking about it, but it is interesting to hear Will Reiser talk about having cancer and how it influenced the movie.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I take it you never read the books. Let's just say that it is critical to the plot of the next two books.[/QUOTE]

Judging from the last scene I thought it might.

[quote name='bobo2k4']The Raid
Hell yeah! One of the best action films in awhile. If you like Tony Jaa you have to see this. There are plenty of "Oh Shit" moments.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right. :cool:

Saw the raid over the weekend and it was fucking awesome. If you like kung fu/martial arts movies, you must watch this on the big screen. I said, "damn damn Daaaaayaaaamn!" like 17 times. There's really no story at all but it doesn't matter. The moves were incredible and ridiculous and it looked like these guys were really getting hit. If I had a dvd/blu of this, I'd rewind many scenes many times.

bread's done
Back