Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='blindinglights']You wont, the movie blows.[/QUOTE]

So I finished watching it... I don't know if it blows but it wasn't very good. It wasn't bad either - it was OK and fine for what it was but I'll probably forget I even watched it in a month or so. My wife read the books and didn't like the movie nearly as much but that's always the case.

Next up is MI: Ghost Protocol

[quote name='bobo2k4']Zero Dark Thirty
Some parts are too long and not enough Seal time.[/QUOTE]

Boo! You can never have too much Seal.

220px-Seal_2012.jpg

Warhorse. I couldn't finish it. It was so melodramatic and dare I say, stupid, that I couldn't see anyone enjoying it other than children. It's like a Lassie Come Home or Benji, but dreadfully boring despite WWI going on. Not enough there for adults for me to even recommend it as a family movie.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits had a few legitimate laughs in there but was a fun movie overall. As good as your average claymation movie.

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']Apparently The Last Stand is really awesome. I'm actually really excited to see this.[/QUOTE]
I've been interested since I found out Kim Jee-Woon was directing.

I'm interested just because of what it is...but I wish Johnny Knoxville wasn't in it. I'm assuming he's just the stupid comedic relief. If he's not, great, but that's all he looks to be.

Ok, so just finished watching Gladiator because it's been a few years since I've watched it. Best way I can describe it? Damn fine movie. I know it wasn't on my top 10 list that I posted a little while ago but I'm beginning to think it does need to be on there. Of course, this being winter break and all, I decided what better way to find out if it makes it on my list than to watch my #10 movie, Heat, and see if that comes off in favor of Gladiator. What can I say, I don't have much to do today...

Hunger Games is very easy to understand for the type of people taking Sociology 101. It's a summer blockbuster that takes on very broad and one-dimensional aspects of sociology. I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it in their class.

Dredd

A really good, fun action movie. I can't really think anything negative to say about it, either. Other than it probably won't get a sequel if you all don't buy it on DVD/BR.

[quote name='davo1224']Hunger Games is very easy to understand for the type of people taking Sociology 101. It's a summer blockbuster that takes on very broad and one-dimensional aspects of sociology. I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it in their class.[/QUOTE]
Because there are plenty of better films they could use? Or not actually use fictional films to teach an academic subject?

[quote name='Clak']Because there are plenty of better films they could use? Or not actually use fictional films to teach an academic subject?[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but it's not a film class. Lowest common denominator is a plus!

Just saw The Raid: Redemption. Best martial arts movie I've seen since The Protector, maybe even better.

So I was looking at the top movies of 2012 lists out there, and noticed there were a bunch of movies I hadn't seen. Can anyone comment on Argo, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, All Superheroes Must Die, and/or Killing Them Softly?

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Just saw The Raid: Redemption. Best martial arts movie I've seen since The Protector, maybe even better.

So I was looking at the top movies of 2012 lists out there, and noticed there were a bunch of movies I hadn't seen. Can anyone comment on Argo, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, All Superheroes Must Die, and/or Killing Them Softly?[/QUOTE]

Do you watch a lot of martial arts movies?

Just wondering since you say The Protector is the best one you've seen.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Just saw The Raid: Redemption. Best martial arts movie I've seen since The Protector, maybe even better.

So I was looking at the top movies of 2012 lists out there, and noticed there were a bunch of movies I hadn't seen. Can anyone comment on Argo, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, All Superheroes Must Die, and/or Killing Them Softly?[/QUOTE]

Argo is fantastic and I hated Silver Linings Playbook but everyone else seems to love it.

Les Miserables - It's good for a musical, but it does tend to drag on a little bit too much towards the end. Spectacular performances from Hathaway, Jackman and Crowe.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rocky 2 & 3.[/QUOTE]
Just out of curiosity, have you seen First Blood or just the sequels?:lol:;)

[quote name='whoknows']Do you watch a lot of martial arts movies?

Just wondering since you say The Protector is the best one you've seen.[/QUOTE]

I watch a fair amount of martial arts movies, definitely not a lot though. However, I am pretty picky about what I like. I'm guessing you weren't a fan of The Protector?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, so just finished watching Gladiator because it's been a few years since I've watched it. Best way I can describe it? Damn fine movie. I know it wasn't on my top 10 list that I posted a little while ago but I'm beginning to think it does need to be on there. Of course, this being winter break and all, I decided what better way to find out if it makes it on my list than to watch my #10 movie, Heat, and see if that comes off in favor of Gladiator. What can I say, I don't have much to do today...[/QUOTE]

I didn't care much for Heat (though I don't really remember it now) but Gladiator is one of my favorites. I don't remember if I had it on my list either but if not it should be. edit: yeah it wasn't on my list. I'm adding it now. Great movie. Now I want to go watch it again.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']I watch a fair amount of martial arts movies, definitely not a lot though. However, I am pretty picky about what I like. I'm guessing you weren't a fan of The Protector?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it and thought it was good, but not great. It has some crazy fights so I can see why you like it a lot, I just don't think I've ever heard anyone say it's their favorite :)

[quote name='KingBroly']Dredd

A really good, fun action movie. I can't really think anything negative to say about it, either. Other than it probably won't get a sequel if you all don't buy it on DVD/BR.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen and heard, it's selling extremely well. I picked up my copy last weekend, but every Best Buy I've gone to has either been very limited in their supply or have been out completely. It was number one last week, I hope it keeps that title over Taken 2 as well.

[quote name='Vulgarism']From what I've seen and heard, it's selling extremely well. I picked up my copy last weekend, but every Best Buy I've gone to has either been very limited in their supply or have been out completely. It was number one last week, I hope it keeps that title over Taken 2 as well.[/QUOTE]

That makes me really happy to hear. I adore Dredd. Probably my favorite movie of 2012.

I still wonder what happened with it in theaters. I know Dredd isn't the most popular comic character, but it bombed so badly.

bein a gun nut, i couldnt watch much of it passed the shoot out in the stairwell... just hurt my brain so much

End Of Watch was pretty good
(tho at the end had one of them classic main guys survive an ambush thing)

[quote name='whoknows']I enjoyed it and thought it was good, but not great. It has some crazy fights so I can see why you like it a lot, I just don't think I've ever heard anyone say it's their favorite :)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you could recommend some awesome martial arts movies for me?

[quote name='ShockandAww']I didn't care much for Heat (though I don't really remember it now) but Gladiator is one of my favorites. I don't remember if I had it on my list either but if not it should be. edit: yeah it wasn't on my list. I'm adding it now. Great movie. Now I want to go watch it again.[/QUOTE]

I never did update but after re-watching both the other day I definitely feel like I enjoy Gladiator much more than Heat. Don't get me wrong, I still think Heat is a great movie but my top 10 is just too packed to include it.

Watched Paranormal Activity 4. Ugh. Did not enjoy this. And for anyone who saw it
is that kid supposed to really be Hunter who was taken in the second movie? I wouldnt think so, but not sure after watching it. If so, why would she put him up for adoption after kidnapping him?

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Perhaps you could recommend some awesome martial arts movies for me?[/QUOTE]

Five Deadly Venoms
Chinese Super Ninjas
Enter The Dragon (Of course)
The Way of the Dragon
Dragons Fever
Kung Fu Hustle (fun chop socky stuff)
Dreadnaught
Street Fighter (Sonny fucking Chiba!) FYI he was also had a cameo in Kill Bill as the legendary Hattori Hanzo.
Za jia xiao zi
Shaolin Soccer
Seven Samura
Legend of Street Fighter
Legendary Weapons of China
Fist of Fury
Fist of Legend (remake of Fist of Fury)
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Unleashed
13 Assassins
Five Fingers of Death
Lady Snowblood 1 and 2
Swordsman 2
Drunken Master 1 and 2 (part two is probably one of my favorites of all time)
Wheels on Meals (Chan, Hung, and Yuen!)
Once Upon a Time in China
Ong Bak
Project A (I believe this was the film Chan suffered an injury and was never the same)
Police Story
Duel to the Death
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Chinese Connection

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Five Deadly Venoms
Chinese Super Ninjas
Enter The Dragon (Of course)
The Way of the Dragon
Dragons Fever
Kung Fu Hustle (fun chop socky stuff)
Dreadnaught
Street Fighter (Sonny fucking Chiba!) FYI he was also had a cameo in Kill Bill as the legendary Hattori Hanzo.
Za jia xiao zi
Shaolin Soccer
Seven Samura
Legend of Street Fighter
Fist of Fury
Fist of Legend (remake of Fist of Fury)
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Unleashed
13 Assassins
Five Fingers of Death
Lady Snowblood 1 and 2
Swordsman 2
Drunken Master 1 and 2 (part two is probably one of my favorites of all time)
Wheels on Meals (Chan, Hung, and Yuen!)
Once Upon a Time in China
Ong Bak
Project A (I believe this was the film Chan suffered an injury and was never the same)
Police Story
Duel to the Death
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Chinese Connection[/QUOTE]
Thanks! That's a BIG list! Hmmm. Where to start...?

Saw Django Unchained friday. Loved it so much I'll catch it a second time if one of my friends will be seeing it (came out Thursday in Europe).

[quote name='4thHorseman']Watched Paranormal Activity 4. Ugh. Did not enjoy this. And for anyone who saw it
is that kid supposed to really be Hunter who was taken in the second movie? I wouldnt think so, but not sure after watching it. If so, why would she put him up for adoption after kidnapping him?
[/QUOTE]

I gave up on Paranormal Activity after the end of 3. What a complete face-flop that movie turned into. Started out somewhat interesting and fun with the whole 80s setting but it quickly spiraled into shitty-ness.
The final kill of the invisible force breaking the boyfriend in half was beyond dumb. There just ended up being too much stuff happening in that movie to have it based on a throw away line from the previous movie of "remember that stuff when we were a kid?" BITCH, THAT SHIT THAT WENT DOWN WASN'T JUST SOMETHING YOU CASUALLY MENTION. Not to mention that but the attempted explanation of the cult and all that shit just ruined the franchise for me.

Instead of wasting any more on the franchise I decided to just read a full plot synopsis of 4. Needless to say, between that and what I've heard from people, I feel like I made the right decision.
A fucking Kinect is what they use to film now? How dumb.

I finally saw Thor, and I can say I liked it better than the Ed Norton Hulk movie. However, I didn't think it was a great movie as said by so many. I found the story of Thor finding the will to protect those close to him kinda lame, and Captain America did it better. Odin did turn his son into Donald Blake for a very good reason, and in this movie banishing a god into Midgard was all that was needed? I understand why A.O. Scott was whining about this movie.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Thanks! That's a BIG list! Hmmm. Where to start...?[/QUOTE]

The Drunken Master movies are a great place.

Or really anything Jackie Chan to be honest. The stories are usually throwaway, but he'll keep you entertained.

If you haven't seen the Police Story movies those are a good place to start too.

He got a lot of the ones I'd recommend if I did my own list.

[quote name='moon_knight']Start with Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky aka the best martial arts movie ever.[/QUOTE]

So god awful it's great

[quote name='whoknows']That makes me really happy to hear. I adore Dredd. Probably my favorite movie of 2012.

I still wonder what happened with it in theaters. I know Dredd isn't the most popular comic character, but it bombed so badly.[/QUOTE]

Judge Dredd doesn't have much name recognition in the states. Some people remember the Stallone film, some people read a bit of the series back in the day... But most people either don't know or don't care. This film came out of left field. I don't think anybody really expected a second go with the series, but it's a great thing they did. Karl Urban will hopefully continue to get more roles here in the States, as I very much love what he has done (yes, even Doom..... Well, maybe not loved, but more along the lines of I can tolerate it slightly.)

With it's sudden release and smaller opening (2500 theaters, which is definitely a lot, but not as big as most of the big openers) and no real name star... It floundered a bit, despite great critical reception right away.

Anyway, I am glad to see it's doing so well and I am hoping that they will come back with all the talent attached--Garland, Travis, Urban... There is now a built-in audience who I have no doubt would fill the seats on opening night for a sequel.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rocky IV. Had almost forgotten how cheesy that one is.[/QUOTE]

Such a good fight and that soundtrack. Best workout soundtrack ever. That speech at the end is just hilarious though.

bread's done
Back