Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Evil Dead. Pretty damn good as long as you don't expect it to be anything like the other Evil Dead movies, and
A cameo by Ash after the credits pretty much confirms an Evil Dead 4/ Army of Darkness 2!

[quote name='opterasis']Evil Dead. Pretty damn good as long as you don't expect it to be anything like the other Evil Dead movies, and
A cameo by Ash after the credits pretty much confirms an Evil Dead 4/ Army of Darkness 2!
[/QUOTE]

fuck there was something after the credits? Thankfully I'm planning on seeing it again anyway, and now I know to stay, thanks.

[quote name='opterasis']Evil Dead. Pretty damn good as long as you don't expect it to be anything like the other Evil Dead movies, and
[/QUOTE]

They've actually already confirmed that.
They are making Evil Dead 2/3 and Army of Darkness 2 and then the 7th film will be a combo of the two movies.

It's not really a spoiler thing but w/e
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...ally-leads-to-major-crossover-in-evil-dead-7/

I watched "Safety Not Guaranteed", not to great, I just wanted to watch it because the guy who directed this will be directing Jurassic Park 4. Aubrey Plaza was the best part of the movie by far. 2.5/5

[quote name='TheBigAndy']I watched "Safety Not Guaranteed", not to great, I just wanted to watch it because the guy who directed this will be directing Jurassic Park 4. Aubrey Plaza was the best part of the movie by far. 2.5/5[/QUOTE]

I'd say 3/5. The ending was odd.

Saw Ordinary People today. It starred Timothy Hutton (Leverage), Donald Sutherland, and Mary Tyler Moore. Hutton won an Oscar for supporting actor despite being the main character in the film. Either the Academy couldn't handle a 20 year old winning lead actor or that he wouldn't have won it if it did get nominated for lead actor.

Everybody gave a rather moving performance, and when it hit the climax, Mr. Hutton really made me cry to to that emotional intensity.

It's really funny to see a younger version of an actor I'm used to seeing as a rather grumpy old man. All those mannerisms I see now on the tv show, he was exhibiting them quite young. I wonder if these tics and such we have and are known for right now will still be apparent when we're middle aged.

Finally watched Prometheus. I was actually really enjoying it up until the final third, but then it all sorta fell apart for me. Pretty much at the point when
you find out the old guy is alive
, the movie became really preachy, and tried to get too religious. Then it was just cliche after cliche, and an ending that felt very unsatisfying. On the plus side, the special effects were really well done, and Noomi Rapace was as brilliant as ever:applause:overall I still enjoyed it, but the plotholes and ending make it at most a 3/5 IMHO

Watched Evil Dead and was impressed.

[quote name='slickkill77']They've actually already confirmed that.
They are making Evil Dead 2/3 and Army of Darkness 2 and then the 7th film will be a combo of the two movies.

It's not really a spoiler thing but w/e
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...ally-leads-to-major-crossover-in-evil-dead-7/[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I hope it turns out that way. Bruce Campbell isn't getting any younger. They really need to keep that in mind.

Here's hoping for Army of Darkness 2 before Evil Dead 2, but I'm guessing it'll come after.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Finally watched Prometheus. I was actually really enjoying it up until the final third, but then it all sorta fell apart for me. Pretty much at the point when
you find out the old guy is alive
, the movie became really preachy, and tried to get too religious. Then it was just cliche after cliche, and an ending that felt very unsatisfying. On the plus side, the special effects were really well done, and Noomi Rapace was as brilliant as ever:applause:overall I still enjoyed it, but the plotholes and ending make it at most a 3/5 IMHO[/QUOTE]

Damon Lindelof is a buffoon. He has no clue how to end a story, and the fact that he was brought in to re-write the last act of "World War Z" pretty much guarantees it won't make any sense and it will be a waste of a top-notch special effects/acting/big budget effort.

It annoys me when Hollywood keeps giving the same tools the opportunity to ruin as much as they can, instead of finding people who actually write a great story that has a strong resolution. There are talented writers out there, this guy just isn't one of them.

Hunger Games - 2.5/5 - Although it's better than the book, there really isn't much here to like. The acting is good at times, but at certain points, it is just god awful. There are an insane amount of plot holes and denied tension as the movie goes a long. And there are just several things that make zero sense and are never explained in the least. I also cannot enjoy a movie that has Lenny Kravitz with golden eyelids. Jennifer Lawrence and some of the costume/make-up design are about the only things I enjoyed from the film.

[quote name='bburpee']Damon Lindelof is a buffoon. He has no clue how to end a story, and the fact that he was brought in to re-write the last act of "World War Z" pretty much guarantees it won't make any sense and it will be a waste of a top-notch special effects/acting/big budget effort.

It annoys me when Hollywood keeps giving the same tools the opportunity to ruin as much as they can, instead of finding people who actually write a great story that has a strong resolution. There are talented writers out there, this guy just isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying that you didn't like how Lost ended?;)

[quote name='dohdough']Are you saying that you didn't like how Lost ended?;)[/QUOTE]

well now it all makes sense, wasn't putting two and two together but I knew I had heard of him:roll:yeah, I can totally see it now. terrible, just terrible:drool:

[quote name='GhostShark']Hunger Games - 2.5/5 - Although it's better than the book, there really isn't much here to like. The acting is good at times, but at certain points, it is just god awful. There are an insane amount of plot holes and denied tension as the movie goes a long. And there are just several things that make zero sense and are never explained in the least. I also cannot enjoy a movie that has Lenny Kravitz with golden eyelids. Jennifer Lawrence and some of the costume/make-up design are about the only things I enjoyed from the film.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it wasn't a great movie, but people love it for whatever reason. It's one of those movies that's really obvious that it's based on a book with how stupidly dressed some characters are, the way each character has their own special skill, etc....

One thing I always wondered about it is why they make kids kill each other instead of adults. Maybe that was explained and I missed it since the movie was boring and I spaced out at points.

I don't think it was explained at all. There was a lot of stuff that wasn't explained. And the excuse for why they had to fight in the first place was pretty silly because hope is the only thing more powerful than fear. Seriously? That is some shit. I'm sure I'll still watch the sequels and be even more disappointed.

I saw Evil Dead on Friday and I loved it. I didn't stay for
the Bruce Campbell cameo
after the credits (even though I knew about it) but I looked it up on YouTube and (of course) someone recorded it. I'm sure there will be a "Director's Cut/Unrated" version for the Dvd/Blu release which should be even better. 4/5 stars.

Oh, and I haven't seen the original (yet... I'm gonna order the Blu-Ray from Amazon) if that makes a difference.

03.19.13: Flow State: 7.5
03.20.13: Night and Day: 7.2
03.21.13: Hidden Fortress: 9.3
03.22.13: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives: 7.6
03.23.13: Zoo: 8.5
03.24.13: Man Without A Map: 7.3
03.25.13: Kikujiro: 9.2
03.26.13: Earthsea: 6.8
03.27.13: Dragon Ball Z: The Path to Ultimate Power: 6.6
03.28.13: Instant Numa: 7.6
03.29.13: Abacus and Sword: 8.2
03.30.13: Porco Rosso: 9.6
03.31.13: Marathon: 8.1
04.01.13: Gangs of Wasseypur: 8.2
04.02.13: Carlos 1: 8.4
04.03.13: Gangs of Wasseypur 2: 8.4
04.04.13: Carlos 2: 8.1
04.05.13: Che: 8.4
04.06.13: Carlos 3: 8.0
04.07.13: Eden Lake: 7.3
04.07.13: Che 2: 7.6
04.08.13: The Baader Meinhof Complex: 7.4
04.09.13: The Motorcycle Diaries: 8.7
04.10.13: Doctor Zhivago: 9.5
04.11.13: Gone With The Wind: 9.7

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, it wasn't a great movie, but people love it for whatever reason. It's one of those movies that's really obvious that it's based on a book with how stupidly dressed some characters are, the way each character has their own special skill, etc....

One thing I always wondered about it is why they make kids kill each other instead of adults. Maybe that was explained and I missed it since the movie was boring and I spaced out at points.[/QUOTE]

well the special skills are because each district has it's own trade, and the different skills were part of whatever that was (except for 1&2 obviously). I don't think it was explained, but I imagine it's because kids would: A. have more impact on families and citizens when they die, and B. they would probably be less likely to try and use their fame/new found fortunes, to start an uprising. That's the only real sort of explanation I can think of, other than because it's slightly more original for kids to fight. It definitely helps to have read the book though, as IMO some parts the director might have thought unimportant create some rather annoying plot gaps/holes. I still enjoyed it a lot, but I was already a big fan of the books so I guess I'm rather biased;)

1: Mama's bomb plot was really, really dumb. "Not killing her" would have been pretty trivial for Dredd.

2: The film gave no indication at any point that Dredd had softened at all until the very end when he said Anderson had passed. Character development relegated to the last 30 seconds of the film? Really?

[quote name='The Crotch']
1: Mama's bomb plot was really, really dumb. "Not killing her" would have been pretty trivial for Dredd.

2: The film gave no indication at any point that Dredd had softened at all until the very end when he said Anderson had passed. Character development relegated to the last 30 seconds of the film? Really?
[/QUOTE]

It wasn't really a plot, more of a last resort thing for her because she knew Dredd would kill her otherwise.

Also Dredd was probably just impressed with Anderson because she not only lived but saved him.

But what purpose did it serve in the movie? It's an inherently uninteresting "last resort" because it is so easily foiled.

And again, that works really poorly with the whole "ultrahardliner" character concept. Like, I'm not going to go all "That's not how he would act in the comic books!" (because I don't read comic books because they are for nerds, of course), but isn't "never compromises on anything ever" supposed to be Dredd's thing? If the movie wants to have him soften, by all means, do it, but don't leave it to the last 30 seconds.

If you liked Dredd check out "The Raid" (called The Raid Redemption for US release.)

It's an supposedly early Dredd script they didn't use and made in Indonesia. Similar premise, basically a more martial arts focused Dredd. Has some wild kill scenes.

[quote name='The Crotch']
But what purpose did it serve in the movie? It's an inherently uninteresting "last resort" because it is so easily foiled.

And again, that works really poorly with the whole "ultrahardliner" character concept. Like, I'm not going to go all "That's not how he would act in the comic books!" (because I don't read comic books because they are for nerds, of course), but isn't "never compromises on anything ever" supposed to be Dredd's thing? If the movie wants to have him soften, by all means, do it, but don't leave it to the last 30 seconds.
[/QUOTE]

All it did was act as her last resort. It's not like she could have done much else once Dredd got in.

It really doesn't seem like they're making him soften for doing that. All it was to me is that he saw Anderson as being a capable Judge so he passed her.

I really liked the movie though. Out of all the comic book movies from last year this was easily the best one IMO.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, watched it a while back. Pretty solid.

Think I'm gonna go on a Cronenberg binge.[/QUOTE]

Yeah? Have some mind altering substances handy.

[quote name='koalak']saw jurassic park in 3d the other day

cool experience[/QUOTE]

Saw that as well, it was a fun trip down memory lane. The 3D was well done but the picture quality wasn't very sharp in IMAX. Seeing this makes me want Terminator 2 to get this kind of treatment.

Lincoln Lawyer was pretty good, if by the numbers. Borderline outlaw lawyer flick; good stuff. Definitely worth a rental.

Total Recall (2012) was actually pretty badass. Given the reviews I skipped over it, but now I wish I'd seen it in theaters. It does run a bit long but for the first hour or so I was enthralled with the visuals and trying to put things together. Wish I had known it was cyberpunk-ish, because I'd instantly have been on board.

Saw "Trance" yesterday. Typical Danny Boyle archetype main character, nice mind-bending nonsense, but a complete garbage "heist". So, if you want to see it for the heist, instead see it for the full frontal nudity.

The Campaign. Every bit as awful as I was expecting and didn't even finish it. Will Ferrel needs to just do serious films because he's much better in those.

[quote name='Jodou']The Campaign. Every bit as awful as I was expecting and didn't even finish it. Will Ferrel needs to just do serious films because he's much better in those.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it was terrible. Pretty forgettable though.

[quote name='Jodou']The Campaign. Every bit as awful as I was expecting and didn't even finish it. Will Ferrel needs to just do serious films because he's much better in those.[/QUOTE]

Sure. But first Anchorman 2. Which comes out this year.

True Romance.

Tarantino with the Tony Scott directing. Fun and certainly a highlight in the dim lighted career that is of Christian Slater.

Lords of Salem - Extremely fucking weird. It's like watching a Rob Zombie music video with random scenes and imagery that make pretty much no sense. That said, I did enjoy it, it's a fun watch that will leave you saying WTF a ton.

bread's done
Back