Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

The Purge - I need to purge my brain from the memories of seeing this piece of shit.  It's really stupid and you want to smack the shit out of the main characters.

Saw an early screening of Superman and it was excellent.
Would it be possible for you to give a mini-review if possibly. I won't be able to watch until a week later and generally trust the opinions here than the trolls over at imdb.

Also watched Stoker 7/10. Park-chan Wook directed it very well, the technical aspects were amazing with the transitions and fade ins of scenes. The film itself was quite good, a different kind of horror, acted well by the main leads.

Anyways gonna watch VHS 2 in half an hour, hope it's as good as some people said it is on the previous page.
So how did you like it?
Gonna watch that one tonight, I watched Stoker instead.

Edit - watching VHS 2 at the moment, paused after first 2 stories. They were pretty bad, not scary or really unnerving. Hopefully the next 2 are better.

Edit 2 - having seen it all I can say I wasn't a fan, didn't really like it. Though I have to say safe haven was bloody fantastic. Wish that was a fully fledged.movie.

At the moment I have to say my favorite horror anthology type film is trick r treat. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways gonna watch VHS 2 in half an hour, hope it's as good as some people said it is on the previous page.
So how did you like it?

Edit - watching VHS 2 at the moment, paused after first 2 stories. They were pretty bad, not scary or really unnerving. Hopefully the next 2 are better.

Edit 2 - having seen it all I can say I wasn't a fan, didn't really like it. Though I have to say safe haven was bloody fantastic. Wish that was a fully fledged.movie.

At the moment I have to say my favorite horror anthology type film is trick r treat. I thoroughly enjoyed that.
I haven't seen any anthology horror movie that were as good as Trick r Treat for me. I'm hoping it gets a sequel at some point.

So how did you like it?

I didn't think any of them were scary, but they were all cool imo. The camera on the zombie head was really neat. And I like aliens, so that one was cool too. And yeah, the cult one was amazing. I actually hated Trick R Treat, I wasn't into it at all but I know everyone loves it. I want a new Creepshow.

Paranorman. The trailers didn't do this film justice. Really great movie.
100% agreed, but I'm a huge fan of Coraline so I didn't know if I was biased at all.

Dark Skies is okay, just okay. I can't really say if it's worth a watch or not. I guess if you overly enjoy alien movies, you might enjoy this one, but it also might disappoint you a bit.

Also, is Trick 'R' Treat comparable to V/H/S, stylistically speaking? I've been meaning to watch it for years and I love V/H/S.

@Tcrash247 I did like the story concepts, I just think my dislike for POV films has increased lately. I can't handle the style that much anymore.

@ tsel - trick r treat imo is really good but stylistically way different from.VHS. The story is done similar to something like shortcuts where characters from each story pop in each others.

^Interesting. I'll have to watch it sometime soon then. Thanks for your input.

Superman Unbound didn't really do anything for me. I'm not the biggest Superman fan so it's going to take quite a bit to interest me and this just didn't do it. Man of Steel on the other hand... 

Superman Unbound didn't really do anything for me. I'm not the biggest Superman fan so it's going to take quite a bit to interest me and this just didn't do it. Man of Steel on the other hand...
I am a big Superman fan and thought it was underwhelming and dragged on a bit too much.

But I also didn't think the story it was based on warranted an animated film in the first place. But I guess since it was written by Geoff Johns...

Caught the Brad Pitt Jesse james film on tv last night, though I missed the first 40 minutes. I thought it was a very good film.

Planning on watching Heat again soon, man I wish there were some new crime/cop films like this. Welcome To The Punch tried at being a British Heat and kind of worked but i remember it more for how gorgeous London looked in the night shots than anything else.

Oz the Great and Powerful.

It was just alright, glad I just got it from Redbox rather than just buying it.  Had really wanted to see it in theaters with the girlfriend (she was pretty excited) but we never got around to it.  She was pretty let down with it.  I was a bit less so due to all the mixed reaction on forums and the fairly poor reviews, so my expectations were more in check.

Still some pretty lousy acting and bad special effects for a big budget movie.

Cloud Atlas explores reincarnation and fate in an interesting way.  I don't believe in the subject matter so it was more a tour of imagination and imagery for me.  Overall it can become confusing if you're not playing connect the dots throughout the movie, so repeat viewings are probably a must if you dig this one.  It wasn't completely my cup of tea but it did have its moments.

I did like the message here though, that human made boundaries are just that and you're free to do or love as you wish.  fuck society.

Man of Steel - 4/5 - This is what a Superman movie should be; tons of fast-paced action, buildings being destroyed, an exploration of both his sets of parents while presenting an engaging, interesting growing experience. It can get a little cliche and convenient early on, especially with Lois Lane, but that was far outweighed by the spectacular performances from Henry Cavil and Micheal Shannon as Supes and Zod. Faora was also really hot.

Man of Steel - 4/5 - This is what a Superman movie should be; tons of fast-paced action, buildings being destroyed, an exploration of both his sets of parents while presenting an engaging, interesting growing experience. It can get a little cliche and convenient early on, especially with Lois Lane, but that was far outweighed by the spectacular performances from Henry Cavil and Micheal Shannon as Supes and Zod. Faora was also really hot.
What is Adams portrayal of Lois,like? Im fond of the determined sometimes brash and thickheaded Lois, but the trailer makes her look kinda soft.

I want to know how cavill is as our Clark and supes. Saw him on a chat show last night and he the personality of a wooden plank, which made me a little worried about his performance as the protagonist. Not seen him anything either.

What is Adams portrayal of Lois,like? Im fond of the determined sometimes brash and thickheaded Lois, but the trailer makes her look kinda soft.
I felt that she was nice mix of Kidder's Lois with a bit of O'Toole's Lana. Smart, sassy, with a heart, and let's them show. Far better than Bosworth's Lois. Chemistry between Cavill and Adams was also far better than Routh and Bosworth, but I blame it on Bosworth because I felt she was a little miscast.

I want to know how cavill is as our Clark and supes. Saw him on a chat show last night and he the personality of a wooden plank, which made me a little worried about his performance as the protagonist. Not seen him anything either.
Cavill plays his Superman a lot more like a more realistic Clark, not court jester Clark, which I thought was a good thing. I never liked the whole Clark/Superman is the mask/true face argument. I've seen him on The Tudors and that mythology movie he was in and he was decent in those.

So I liked the characterization of the main characters, but felt that the movie felt a little too summer movie cotton candy action blockbuster-ish. Like Iron Man 3, the action kinda overshadows the themes a bit. If you(royal you) were waiting for a BIG ACTION Superman movie, this MoS will have you creaming your pants; if you liked Superman Returns, you'll be a little disappointed.

For movie music fans, I also felt that the score was a little lacking. I don't thin kit really captured or helped to enhance the mood of the film.

Man of Steel - I loved it.  I'm not a big Superman fan at all, but this movie was awesome.  Great acting, fantastic action, script worked.  The fight scene with Superman and Zod's lieutenants or whoever they were was one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a super hero movie.  Can't wait to see this again.

I felt that she was nice mix of Kidder's Lois with a bit of O'Toole's Lana. Smart, sassy, with a heart, and let's them show. Far better than Bosworth's Lois. Chemistry between Cavill and Adams was also far better than Routh and Bosworth, but I blame it on Bosworth because I felt she was a little miscast.

Cavill plays his Superman a lot more like a more realistic Clark, not court jester Clark, which I thought was a good thing. I never liked the whole Clark/Superman is the mask/true face argument. I've seen him on The Tudors and that mythology movie he was in and he was decent in those.

So I liked the characterization of the main characters, but felt that the movie felt a little too summer movie cotton candy action blockbuster-ish. Like Iron Man 3, the action kinda overshadows the themes a bit. If you(royal you) were waiting for a BIG ACTION Superman movie, this MoS will have you creaming your pants; if you liked Superman Returns, you'll be a little disappointed.

For movie music fans, I also felt that the score was a little lacking. I don't thin kit really captured or helped to enhance the mood of the film.
Thank you, it was very informative. I am looking forward to this, I did like Returns for what it was but I hated Lex in that and the religious undertones were a little too in-your-face my tastes. I'm welcoming the heavy action since it's always been lacking in all but animated versions of history.

Any references to Lex or Lexcorp? I've hated the movie versions with a passion so far, it's funny that 2 very versatile actors ended up as crappy Luthors whereas the teen angst filled Smallville had the best version of Lex imo.

Thank you, it was very informative. I am looking forward to this, I did like Returns for what it was but I hated Lex in that and the religious undertones were a little too in-your-face my tastes. I'm welcoming the heavy action since it's always been lacking in all but animated versions of history.
You know, it just occurred to me that MoS feels like an extension of the Smallville series in terms of the Clark/Superman characterization...without the teenage emo angst of course.

Any references to Lex or Lexcorp? I've hated the movie versions with a passion so far, it's funny that 2 very versatile actors ended up as crappy Luthors whereas the teen angst filled Smallville had the best version of Lex imo.
Yes, there is a reference you can't miss.
Haha...I agree about Smallville's Lex.

Just watched Hansel & Gretel Witchhunters, it was a fun dumb movie, I actually wouldn't mind a sequel but it tanked pretty bad if I recall

Just watched Hansel & Gretel Witchhunters, it was a fun dumb movie, I actually wouldn't mind a sequel but it tanked pretty bad if I recall
Sequel has been confirmed quite a while back, it did pretty well here in England if I recall.

Also good to see This Is The End getting positive response, that's on watch list the week after MOS.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is fucking atrocious! Ignore at all costs! Jim Carrey and the rest of the crew is decent but the Steve Carell is really miscast and ruins the movie.

Finally saw Amazing Spiderman. Didn't think I would like it since Spiderman is probably my least favorite superhero, but it was better than I expected. Definitely better than the Toby Maguire movies. The one thing that bothered me was the face on the villain. It kept reminding me of the Super Mario Bros. live action movie and I couldn't help but laugh.

This Is The End was a lot funnier than I was expecting.  Nice surprise.

I guess when you try to do a movie about the Rapture via the perspective of stoners, it can indeed work.

World War Z - It was good, not great.  I still think the zombie tidal waves were extremely stupid and the effects for that looked like shit, but when that wasn't going on the movie was solid.  The story was good as well, pretty refreshing for a zombie where you think everything has already been done.

Man Of Steel - I Liked the first 2 Donner films and thought Returns was pretty good, if a little trite. To me Man of Steel is my favourite Superman film imo, just loved it. I didn't understand the criticisms it got with lack of humour and romance element,granted the destruction got a little too much but thats no biggie. 

Compared to the other superhero film released this year, which I enjoyed too, I think Man of Steel blew Iron Man 3 out of the water. 

9.5/10

Man of Steel - Didn't enjoy it
Count me in on that, too. I actually went to a drive-in to see it and ended up leaving about halfway through. I thought the pacing was terrible and they were jumping all over the place at the start and it really wasn't winning me back. Quite disappointed.

Man of Steel - Didn't enjoy it
Count me in on that, too. I actually went to a drive-in to see it and ended up leaving about halfway through. I thought the pacing was terrible and they were jumping all over the place at the start and it really wasn't winning me back. Quite disappointed.
Yup, characters were one dimensional, pacing was awful, sloppy sound editing in quiet scenes, poorly construed drama, etc.

Just saw the original Cannes cut of Kill Bill in all its close to 4-hour glory. This version needs to see proper release on blu-ray. It's just that simple.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Nothing special, but better than I was expecting.
Do you remember the name of the Asylum version of this because I swore I saw that a few months ago.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is fucking atrocious! Ignore at all costs! Jim Carrey and the rest of the crew is decent but the Steve Carell is really miscast and ruins the movie.
I didn't think it was that bad. If you're gonna see it in theaters yeah you probably better have a girl with you to make out with but it was never intended to be anything like Now You See Me. I think for what it was it was ok. Perfectly middling imo.

bread's done
Back