Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

^The audio was a tad quiet. Also summaizing a movie in a review is no bueno, but aside from that good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
World War Z.

Good, but not great. Great job of setting up tense scenes etc., but thin on plot and character development.
This. I had very low expectations coming in. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. The tension throughout was the best part of the movie, although I agree that the plot and character development were thin. FWIW, I didn't read the book.

The Karate Kid (1984) - 3.75/5

- Holds up pretty well, stupid Nickelodeon appeared to have censored it in parts, great nostalgia, and nice bonus seeing a 1980's arcade.

Touching the Void - 3.25/5

- Great story, poor film making. Would have been better off without the real people telling the story, which usually actually is best. Would be better if just acted out by actors and added some fictional dramatic events.

World War Z.

Good, but not great. Great job of setting up tense scenes etc., but thin on plot and character development.
I liked WWZ but damn did it just turn into hey look brad pitt is here oh look something bad happens over and over and the ending was shit.

This. I had very low expectations coming in. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. The tension throughout was the best part of the movie, although I agree that the plot and character development were thin. FWIW, I didn't read the book.
Has 0.0 to do with the book. I mean 0.1 it has zombies like in the book. I was happy they called them zombies and not some shitty nick name like walkers or the undead or whatever horse shit hollywood comes up with to not call zombies zombies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Steel - some nitpicks, but not enough for me to hate this movie. Wanted a film where Superman did Supermany stuff, and left happy that they finally made the film I wanted to see.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - Dumb movie. But at least Gretel was cute and more violent than I was expecting.

I finally saw Django Unchained, and I do understand the criticism regarding how a white man wrote a Western under the backdrop of American slavery.  I really cringed whenever somebody got whipped and brutally cut, and was horrified by the hot box, but like most of us people cheered whenever Django and the doctor shot somebody in a manner of seconds. It really does play on our hypocrisy on how easily we're willing to accept or commit the taking or draining of life at the drop of a hat.  On regarding Samuel L. Jackson's character, in any Western we would call him a no good dirty snake scat in the grass, and at the same drop of a hat we relegate him in to "Uncle Tom," due to centuries of institutionalized racism that has been embedded into the American blood, no matter what color you are from white to black to green to purple.  If you even read Harriet Beecher-Stowe's book, the movie's main characters' heroism couldn't even amount to a drop of what Tom was capable of.

I was watching Pulp Fiction recently and one of the special features was Siskel and Ebert talking about Tarantino's ability to play with culture and our perception of it to make his "excellent" movies.  Considering how the audiences are always strung along into seeing his films and talking about it, whether they love or absolutely hate it, we're all just puppets to the movie makers' desires.  This is especially considering that his films are indeed firmly embedded in the exploitation genre.

I do want to see the sequel now, especially they revealed that Zoe Bell was in the movie with that setup with the photograph.

^ sequel to what?

I'm probably in the minority but I didn't like Cabin in the Woods at all. It was just ridiculous. Good idea, I thought awful execution. Tucker & Dave is a much better horror deconstruction film.

I did like Adventureland a lot. I think people who didn't expected it to be the next Superbad.

I'm probably in the minority but I didn't like Cabin in the Woods at all. It was just ridiculous. Good idea, I thought awful execution. Tucker & Dave is a much better horror deconstruction film.
I thought it was pretty poor satire throughout, but the ending scenes were a lot of fun to watch.

high noon - I picked this one up at the library just because it was a western and then saw the high reviews it received. One of the greatest westerns?!?! Why do people like this movie so much? I thought the story was unbelievable. Everyone was cheering for the sheriff but then all of a sudden everyone turned their backs on him. I'll rewatch Shane instead.

Sucker punch - Now this is a stinker. If it wasn't for the special effects/visuals there would be no redeeming value.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - the book might have been ahead of its time but the topics covered seem a bit cliche now. And I can never really connect to these types of movies because my high school experience (in San Francisco) was nothing like this so all these characters with all their problems and issues seem a bit unrealistic. Still an entertaining movie to watch with good acting. 

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, I haven't read the book yet and I will. I recognized a lot of the actors in the film, and I left with the impression that humans are indeed a contemptible and pitiful lot.

The Man Who Knew too Much- the one with Peter Lorre in it.  By today's standard's it's a cute film, and barely as thrilling as Hitchcock's American films.  I laughed at how the police department were unable to take down the several members of the gang.

If there is one crime the Lone Ranger does commit, it's forgetting to have fun.  Wildly contrast to the Pirates franchise, LR takes a darker tone and pushes PG-13 to the limit while largely being carried by the cast.  I'm not old enough to be a fan of the source but I understand it takes one too many departures for even the modest of enthusiasts.  It's nowhere near as bad as critics make it out to be but I can certainly respect outcry over failing to honor childhood memories.

A few genuine laughs and a huge payoff do make it worth a rental, at least.

Finally saw Identity Thief as the wife and I were in a mood for a comedy...with the exception from 1 or 2 VERY funny scenes, I felt it wasn't that funny.

These people weren't lying...Pacific Rim was great! Worth the extra money to IMAX 3D it, seriously...To date, it's my favorite movie I've seen in 3D.

Finally saw Wreck-It Ralph, it's a pretty good movie. It didn't indulge us too much with the fan service unlike some other like works (I'm talking to you, Ready Player One). I was a little disappointed that it didn't travel to enough worlds, but that's what sequels are for. It's definitely worth a buy, especially if you have children and if they are interested in video games.

Pacific Rim - Great stuff. Del Toro is one of the few director's that sets his sights on a particular kind of movie and nails it perfectly without deviating from his intended path. The action was great and the character interactions and emotions were far more than enough to overshadow the skimped character development. Also, Idris Elba is the man.

These people weren't lying...Pacific Rim was great! Worth the extra money to IMAX 3D it, seriously...To date, it's my favorite movie I've seen in 3D.
Might be a stupid question but is the entire movie in 3D or only some parts? Reason I ask is because I haven't been to Imax since they started doing ONLY 3D on every, single movie I would want to see there. I really fucking wish 3D would die already because I'm sick and tired of this shit ruining my movie experiences. : \

Might be a stupid question but is the entire movie in 3D or only some parts? Reason I ask is because I haven't been to Imax since they started doing ONLY 3D on every, single movie I would want to see there. I really fucking wish 3D would die already because I'm sick and tired of this shit ruining my movie experiences. : \
Entire movie is in 3D.

Its all in 3D. The 3D effects were on point, and the sound was phenomenal. This is a very loud movie (my pregnant wife couldn't even enjoy it cuz she was worried It was too loud for my son) and I don't know how I could enjoy it outside of IMAX now. I'm paying one more visit to my theatre again before it's taken out.

For the record, I'm with you on 3D...most movies I've seen I've felt weren't worth the extra money to see in 3D, let alone IMAX 3D. Pacific Rim, however, was worth every penny. It's a wonderful experience. 3D will not ruin it for you this time.

Pacific Rim - 8/10. Solid and entertaining film but not without it's flaws (mostly in the acting department). Can't wait for the blu ray of this one to watch with the subtitles, quite hard to make out the dialogue at certain points in the film.

Coffee Town - 7.5 - Just look at the 3 main cast members and if you like any of their stuff then you'll like this one. Enjoyed it, got some good laughs out of it and it wasn't that long either.

Spring Breakers..Lets just say i was under the influence watching it, It has a meaning like all the movies Harmony Korine made..you got to really understand it and just think its another teen movie with dubstep and parties. "This movie doesn't attempt to provide something for teens to look up to. along with much of korine's other work, it fluctuates between being heavily imagistic and wholly conceptual. as such, viewing it as an allegory of any sort is bound to lead to disappointment. it's like saying gummo (also by korine) sets a bad example for teenagers. but that's not even close to what either movie is about. they're works of art and experience, both meaningless and profound in their own right."

Ted was a perfect example of why Family Guy is ~20 minutes running an episode and a cartoon.  I think I laughed twice the entire movie and any messages were muddled in an underwhelming plot that seemed more interested in paying tribute to the 80's than standing on its own.

Ted was a perfect example of why Family Guy is ~20 minutes running an episode and a cartoon. I think I laughed twice the entire movie and any messages were muddled in an underwhelming plot that seemed more interested in paying tribute to the 80's than standing on its own.
I felt the same way, most overrated comedy in the last few years. I laughed a couple times as well, but I only laughed at when they were having conversations. The entire plot and bigger scenes were really stupid. It also doesn't help that I hate Family Guy.

[quote name="Jodou" post="10907582" timestamp="1373899152"]

Ted was a perfect example of why Family Guy is ~20 minutes running an episode and a cartoon. I think I laughed twice the entire movie and any messages were muddled in an underwhelming plot that seemed more interested in paying tribute to the 80's than standing on its own.[/quote
Thank you for saying this I felt the same way watching it. Most overrated comedy of last year. Couldn't believe how much my girlfriend liked it since we have similar taste in movies.

Ted was a perfect example of why Family Guy is ~20 minutes running an episode and a cartoon. I think I laughed twice the entire movie and any messages were muddled in an underwhelming plot that seemed more interested in paying tribute to the 80's than standing on its own.
Thank you for saying this I felt the same way watching it. Most overrated comedy of last year. Couldn't believe how much my girlfriend liked it since we have similar taste in movies.
I thought it was overrated too but my girlfriend also liked it. What is with that movie and girls liking it?

Spring Breakers

Wow, not the worst movie I have ever seen but It was pretty damn bad. A couple scenes filmed close by me but thats what the 2 points was for.

2/10

bread's done
Back