Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

The Raid Redemption, I was skeptical about it was like another action movie, but fuck the actions themselves proved me wrong. Best shit ever since Bourne Ultimatum.

I finally watched X-Men: First Class, and I have to say I loved this more than the Avengers. (The former would receive a 9.5 over the Avenger's 9.)  Whedon's movie while fun, seemed to be so because Paramount just threw money at them.  The X-Men movie was a lot more focused, and exceeded my expectations.

By having the focal point of the story be on Charles's and Erik's relationship, and paralleling it (or connecting it) to the other mutants (Raven and to a slightly lesser point, Hank) it just made the story a lot more tragic.  It was a really great ending, even though the ending was pretty clear if you watched the Singer movies.

I do have minor quibbles about the movie but they didn't put a damper on my enjoyment of the movie.  The first was the introduction of certain mutants so early on, especially Mystique, but it just made a lot of sense.  McAvoy and Lawrence played their roles well, and you could really see the sibling bond between the two.  And seeing Havok, Angel, and Banshee, was a little surprising, especially since two of them have relationships with other established characters. I guess there's no chance of a Banshee/Moira relationship in this world.

My other quibble is definitely the use of the White Queen, as January Jones was there simply for the eye-candy, especially when Kevin Bacon could've worn the damn helmet the entire movie.  I guess they wanted an excuse for a evil female villain, even though they recruited Angel anyway.  But since Magneto recruited her, I'm hoping they'll give her quite a bit more to do.

The casting I have to say is fantastic, especially with Michael Fassbender.  I only knew him from the Prometheus movie, and he was a pretty creepy guy then, here I could just feel all that rage trying to contain itself into that seemingly cool exterior. (And that's another parallel to Shaw, clever writers)  The Magneto costume does look silly in real life, but it takes a real confident person just to pull off anything.  As much as I wanted to laugh at Fassbender wearing the helmet and cape, I instinctively knew that Magneto was not something to be trifled with.

If you read the original comics, you'd know that Xavier was practically Indiana Jones right after he got his professorship, traveling the world going on crazy adventures until he lost the use of his legs because of a certain super-villain. But there's no chance in hell of seeing a serial series like that starring McAvoy and Lawrence (that would be pretty cool), especially when such an idea would probably cheapen this movie.

I really want to see the next movie now, even if I'm kinda saddened it's already a "Days of Future Past" story.

The Raid Redemption, I was skeptical about it was like another action movie, but fuck the actions themselves proved me wrong. Best shit ever since Bourne Ultimatum.
I mentioned here about a week ago that I saw this movie and it was crazy good. Nobody commented at all so I figured either nobody saw it or didn't like it. Glad to see it is well appreciated.

I mentioned here about a week ago that I saw this movie and it was crazy good. Nobody commented at all so I figured either nobody saw it or didn't like it. Glad to see it is well appreciated.
It was good. Got repetitive. I prefer Dredd over it and they are very similar.

I saw it in theaters when it came out. I also put it in my top 10 movies of 2012 blog I posted on here.

finished off Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters.

having had no idea what it was. my biggest surprise was that it's an mtv joint. but it's good to have that at the start. lowered my expectations down to the point where i didn't care about all the anachronistic... EVERYTHING in the film. It was fun. would watch again. would watch sequel.

G.I Joe: Retaliation, really could be one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Oblivion, really enjoyed it. Liked the twist wife the aliens/humans towards the end.

Oblivion  - I'd give it an 8/10, I really enjoyed it though it was flawed at times and could have done with some editing. 

Chocolate - I liked the fighting and stunt work, forget story and acting for this one.

Saw a few bollywood films with the family due to the holidays. Not sure if anyone has any but they're quirky and daft but also quite entertaining. 

Don't knock Bollywood man, their output is ridiculously higher than that of Hollywood's.
There's a few that I've seen that I really like (delhi belly is awesome) but the majority to me is emphasis on style over substance. I guess you can say the same for Hollywood too but I get that vibe more so from Indian films. I'm guessing you've seen a fair few?

Anyway The Iceman 7/10 - I don't know much about the guy it's based on so can't comment on the accuracy or portrayal of events but it was a pretty decent movie to me. Outstanding performance by Michael Shannon and also Chris Evans impressed me in this as well.

Side by Side - 8/10 - a good documentary by Keanu reeves chronicling film and how it's made in general. He manages to interview some current greats like Scorsese, Fincher, Nolan, Boyle and Cameron along with other technical crew members.

Pain & Gain -  I was shocked that I enjoyed this one, haven't liked a Michael Bay film since Bad Boys (the first one). It is an insult to the real events from what I read on. It has a really black comic tone and most people will be putt off by it like I said with regards to the real incident, even I was uncomfortable to laugh at certain points, even though I wanted to.

If you have no knowledge of the true events or don't care then it's pretty good in the vein of Very Bad Things.

Even though the beginning was slow and the end was kind of weak (the sequence after the end credits made things a little better), Kick Ass 2 was a lot of fun. How can you go wrong with an action sequence that
uses a heavy metal version of the Tetris theme
?

What was after the credits? I missed that.

But I also saw Kick Ass 2, and I really liked it. It's not as good as one, but it's still good. Too bad it's bombing.

They were showing a Jim Carrey movie marathon yesterday, and saw the Mask for the first time in a LOONG time.  It's a typical movie of his caliber, but I do have better memories of the cartoon.

What was after the credits? I missed that.

But I also saw Kick Ass 2, and I really liked it. It's not as good as one, but it's still good. Too bad it's bombing.
After the credits,
they showed Motherfucker all bandaged up and trying to drink some water from a straw. He's having trouble because "a shark bit my dick off" so they show him leaning while trying to reach the straw with his tongue and he recoils back hard. I thought the scene with him getting eaten by the shark was predictable so I'm glad they have him open for a return.

I really don't get why it's bombing . Maybe people thought it was too much of the same? Then again I noticed the Tomatometer was 29% with critics and 77% with the audience. It's still doing better than Jobs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stargate: Continuum - 3.5/5 - Pretty solid movie that adds some interesting stuff to the lore of the Stargate universe. And Claudia Black being sexy and awesome didn't hurt the movie all that much.

Mud - really good film. The goods were excellent and Mcconaughy is continuing on that upscale with his roles, is it ok to say he's a good actor now without getting the piss taken out of?

On a side note this summer hasn't been too kind to the blockbusters released, which is a shame since not all of them were bad. Granted they weren't anything special but there were a few really good ones for me. If anything else this summer had the majority of films raking it in overseas while underperforming in the US.

Kick-Ass 2 : Loved every minute of it honestly. 4/5

We're The Millers : Was ok, a couple funny moments but that was it. 2/5

Red 2 : Pretty good and I enjoyed it. 3/5

I saw The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones screening last night. No ending scene after credit. :(
I might go watch that. I've really been looking for an original movie to see, and a movie about a teenager who thinks she's normal but it turns out she's not sounds pretty new and fresh to me!

Amityville 2 - 3/5 Not bad, good for nostalgia of old school horror films from the 80s. Has Burt Young from Rocky & was surprised to see Diane Franklin, coming off her role in The Last American Virgin.

I'm going to see You're Next again at tonight!

Look what I have here...

e9htua.jpg

The Host (2006) - Just awful. Was on a must watch sci-fi list and categorized as horror. Was just some awkward korean comedy disguised as a monster film.

Warm Bodies - Cute concept, and some genuinely funny moments. Wasn't bad.

bread's done
Back