Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Europa Report. 5/5. On Netflix streaming now. I want to own the Blu Ray though.

Its a niche movie.

If you like Sunshine, you'll enjoy this. Its in the same vein, but with a found footage/documentary point of view.

I was worried because of the 3 star viewer ratings, but I believe that most people just won't understand it, much like Sunshine. If you think Sunshine is confusing or slow, you won't like Europa Report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thor 2 had such a self-serving plot and aimed for a lower age audience this time around. The plot felt muddled and more of a license machine to sell toys than progress character development of one of the more recognizable Marvel superheroes.

Seriously. A middle-aged man streaking and not wearing pants to help him think? I don't follow Thor at all, but was this really crucial to the plot in any way?
I liked the movie but I felt there were too many comedic scenes in it

Europa Report. 5/5. On Netflix streaming now. I want to own the Blu Ray though.

Its a niche movie.

If you like Sunshine, you'll enjoy this. Its in the same vein, but with a found footage/documentary point of view.

I was worried because of the 3 star viewer ratings, but I believe that most people just won't understand it, much like Sunshine. If you think Sunshine is confusing or slow, you won't like Europa Report.
I thought it was decent. It was pretty slow for most of it, but I really liked the realism of it all.

Thor: The Dark World.

Not as good as the first, but I liked it a lot.  Needed more back story on the dark elves and the Aether.

The theater we saw it in was awesome.  Hadn't been in a while, and the Regal redid one end into a new 21 and up VIP area, complete with full bar (with some good local craft beers on tap) with a lot of seats and in the VIP lobby area, bathrooms just for that area, and food service (can order from seats up to 10 minutes before show starts).  Nice leather seats with food trays, rows are spaced way apart (so no getting your seat picked), get to pick your seats when buying tickets etc.  Tickets are same price as the fake Imax screen there--$17.  But worth it for the comfort, service and no kids/teens.  Only two screens back there, but will definitely pick that option anytime something I want to see is playing on one of them.

Thor: The Dark World - I liked it a lot.  One thing that makes the Thor movies better than the others is the villain, Loki is pretty much the best.

People kept saying the only good parts of Thor 2 were the ones with Loki and at first I thought people should just get over Loki, but it turns out the movie was bad enough to where his scenes stood out.

I think you all bash on marvel movies too much. They're family entertainers and as that they do their job.

The worlds end - was good until the alien part kicked in and dipped in quality. Not as good as the previous two. Points for the unexpected ending but it is Edgar Wright afterall.

The Marvel movies get more of pass than other movies. Man of Steel got way more crap than most of them.

I liked man of steel, as did my friends and family. Same with the marvel movies.

To the other guy - yes they get a pass if they entertain, like you said thats their main job to entertain. Thats mostly what I want from a movie after a crap day and I'm guessing the majority of other movie goers too.

But what do I know, I liked all three hated comic book movies of the year.

Then I guess both Thor was a failure to me since I was bored for about half of it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Curious what films released this year did you like? I might have to think hard myself because it feels like it was a pretty weak year. Many good films but not great ones I think.

It probably was a weak year. I can't remember everything I saw since I go all the time. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head I liked were Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, World War Z, Star Trek, Fast 6.

If nothing else I'd give the way they handled the dark elves at the end a thumbs up since it was a different approach than I was expecting.

The Hobbit extended edition (first time seeing the film though. spoilers below):

It was alright. Very pretty film, and I actually found the forewarned dinner sequence to be the best bit. Latter half of the film was just too over-the-top, and that sort of thing gets me very bored. Like the stone giants were very impressive pieces of imagery, but they were suddenly just sort of...there. Felt very thrown in. Then the goblin sequence was ridiculous, and the showdown with the orcs was super cheesy and then it ends with the giant eagles cop out. 

I still think the Fellowship is one of the best films out there, but the rest of this series I can leave or take. 

Homefront - 3.5/5 - Jason Statham still got mad skills! I didn't know Sylvester Stallone was mentioned as screenplay.

Pacific Rim - 4.5/5 - Just amazing how much detail went into this movie and it had a good story as well. It missed another .5 because I see no sequels at all from the ending. Such a shame as well. 

I will say, Im looking forward to Out Of The Furnace for some reason.

Huh.

Y'know, I'd somehow managed to miss seeing Boondock Saints until now...

... and I shut it off ~45 minutes in. What the fuck was that?

Hangover 3- I was expecting it to be offensively bad based on word of mouth and reviews but I enjoyed it. Certainly not as good as the first one but a vast improvement over the second one that didn't just rely on telling the same jokes over again.

Day of the Doctor: 3.5/5

While it was a really good special, there were two things holding it back: the initial plot with the Zygons just kinda got ignored 3/4 of the way through, and we really needed more scenes of the 3 Doctors being Doctor-y.

I do have some questions, though.

So, does this mean the John Hurt Doctor is the 9th Doctor and the other three get bumped up one level?

Also, I have seen very little of old-school Who. Which Doctor was the Curator?

Finally, I have to say that Jenna-Louise Coleman in a mini-skirt and leather jacket should be against the law.

Europa Report - Wow, what a great science fiction film. It reminded me of Gravity, just with more plot and tension. I loved using the real world science of many astrophysicists in the film.

Go. awesome movie, didn't really expect much when I started it
I watched this like 2 months ago having not seen it for maybe 7-10 years. It's amazing how well it holds up. I thought it was going to be a lot worse than I remembered. Good movie.

bread's done
Back