Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Sicario

I thought it was great. Super super solid. The build up in the score was awesome, scenes were super tense, Deakin's images are 10/10 as they always are.

Denis is one of the best Directors today, can't wait to see what he does with Blade Runner.

Boruto: Naruto the Movie - Easily the best Naruto movie yet. Story was great, characters were developed well, and the battles were awesome (even if it did resort to that "super fluid but no detail" animation style). My only problems, which were nitpicks, are:

Hinata and Himatari didn't do much besides housework, and Hinata's spotlight moment happened off-screen. Also, while Boruto using the Gentile Fist style was great, I would have loved to see him use the Byakugan. Also, the bad guys were really, really generic, though it didn't detract from the story at all.

Also, this line was awesome.

"So, wait. Is he your father or mother?" "Yes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Waltz with Bashir:

Beautiful documentary. Very honest with it's intentions. Such smart idea doing it as an animation,which was the only way to really do this.Some really haunting and beautiful images(the beach scene). The animation itself was just gorgeous.
tumblr_mum1uu443Y1suobhjo1_500.gif

Definitely one of the best.

THX-1138:

The directorial debut of that hack,George Lucas. It was actually pretty decent. What makes it work is it's minimalism style(total opposite of Lucas now) and it's unsettling atmosphere. The cast also does a great job with Robert Duvall giving a great performance. The thing that irked me the most was the pointless CGI that was added in this version(he couldn't help himself as usual).

Halloween 1:

Classic.Great atmosphere and excellent camera work.

Halloween 2:

It's okay. The big problem is it's just a generic slasher film now. That and you give Myers too much motive now,which worked so much better when he wasn't really given any(you also see him way too much). Jamie Lee Curtis also doesn't really do that much in this one(other than sport a bad wig). Watchable,but an unnecessary sequel at the end of the day.

Halloween 3:

Didn't deserve the amount of it hate it got. An interesting take on big corporations,and mass consumerism. The plot is off the walls with it's mix of Stonehenge,robots,and evil Irishmen. Has some pretty creepy scenes,and a wonderfully bleak ending.

Halloween 4:

Hilarious how they retcon the ending of 2,just to have Myers and Loomis again in the series. Generic slasher film,with mostly disposable characters. Not terrible,but not really good.

Halloween 1:

Classic.Great atmosphere and excellent camera work.

Halloween 2:

It's okay. The big problem is it's just a generic slasher film now. That and you give Myers too much motive now,which worked so much better when he wasn't really given any(you also see him way too much). Jamie Lee Curtis also doesn't really do that much in this one(other than sport a bad wig). Watchable,but an unnecessary sequel at the end of the day.

Halloween 3:

Didn't deserve the amount of it hate it got. An interesting take on big corporations,and mass consumerism. The plot is off the walls with it's mix of Stonehenge,robots,and evil Irishmen. Has some pretty creepy scenes,and a wonderfully bleak ending.

Halloween 4:

Hilarious how they retcon the ending of 2,just to have Myers and Loomis again in the series. Generic slasher film,with mostly disposable characters. Not terrible,but not really good.
I think a big problem with 3 is there is an expectation that it would have some common thread with the first 2 but there's nothing except the name that links them.

Hellboy, after so long. Selma Blair is hot, Ron Perlman's damn cool. Jeffrey Tambor was hilarious. I didn't care too much for the story, but the set design was just awesome. If only they made a regular animated series, if a tv show is out of the question.

The Lost Boys. It was alright, but I didn't like this movie as much as say... Fright Night. Heh, nice Rob Lowe poster.

WTF is up with the Frog brother's comic shop? If they got Bronze Age issues lying around, wtf are they display like magazines at the Dentist's office. "Batman #14" HA!

100 Bloody Acres - Actually pretty decent. It's a really fun dark comedy that I'd totally recommend. Check it out. 

The Street Fighter:

Some good cheese,but the fights suck. People get punched and kicked,with no real creative to the fight choreography;it's bland as hell. I was more entertained by Sonny Chiba's acting; which consist of him making an angry face during the talking scenes,and making a ton of stupid faces during the fights. Has some good laughs, like with the famous x-ray punch scene which is just him punching a rubber skeleton. Am surprised that this got an X rating when this got released here(The Wild Bunch is more violent than this shit). The film doesn't even have the usual rubber arm getting chopped off scene that these films usual go for!

What We Do in the Shadows:

Absolutely hilarious. It's such a simple concept,but does a great job of making jokes out of the tired vampire tropes. It also helps that the characters are very likable. Best comedy I've seen in quite a while.

Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation - 8.5/10 = Solid action movie and entertaining. The case were good and the I felt no pacing issues.

Specter - Don't really know what i'm thinking of this one - in the 'not bad but not good' category for me. The villain was pretty crap, which is shame considering Christoph Watlz is a tremendous actor, and with the exception of the first fifteen minutes the action and set pieces were boring with no sense of urgency

Watched:

Manhunter- A Michael Mann joint, so it's going to be pretty 80s. I didn't care for it, especially after I watched Hannibal. The soundtrack was pretty nice. Brian Cox's Lecktor was pretty egotistical, but pretty cool. Peterson's Will Graham was pretty hilarious, but how was one supposed to show him mimicking his subjects with imagery? "You sonova!" I thought it was kinda slow but it picks up. I understood why they went with this title as opposed to the novel's.

Edit: reading reviews saying things I should've been paying attention to, will probably rewatch.

Neo Evil Dead. Holy sh- on a stick. Definitely a scary ass movie. I'll rank it on part with the first Evil Dead, but I love this for other reasons. Jane Levy is badass. I wonder if she'll show up in the tv show.

Recently for me..

Deja Vu

Pretty standard thriller movie, got a little weird mid way through. But it was pretty interesting with the aspect of time.

Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness

With the new show starting my friend was talking to me, and I realised i've only ever seen the first movie. I thought they were both pretty great, I think I prefer the third movie more due to all the skeletons and more stop motion. Both very silly and will definitely watch many times again in the future.

Armour of God

Been super rainy and windy here so wanted a back ground movie. Ended up watching all of it anyway.  This song gets my blood pumping the minute I hear it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpbo364d3lM

SPECTRE - Probably my favorite of the Craig-era Bond films. Had some humor, the action was good, and I liked Blofeld. Yea, even though the story has some logic holes thanks to the massive rewrites, I still find it fun.

Peanuts Movie - Was actually pretty good, though I did have some complaints. Got kinda annoyed at the writers trying to cram in literally every Peanuts running gag in the film, but the bigger problem was Snoopy. He just hogged the spotlight in much of the film and his Red Baron segments got annoying quick. When the film focused on Charlie Brown and his story, it was good.

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie - Was a pretty decent movie, but I will never be able to get used to the new English cast. I don't get why the Japanese producers recasted everybody and then forced the English dubbers to do the same since everybody was a sound-alike. Also, they really couldn't come up with a subtitle?

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes:

It's how you do a summer blockbuster right. Visually wonderfully and the CGI is used properly and looks great. Properly my only issue was the humans characters weren't as strong as the apes. Other than it was great. Not sure how the sequel will since it's the third and that's when series get bad.

It! The Terror from Beyond Space:

Fun 50's B-movie and the inspiration for Alien. Has a lot of moments that had me howling.Apparently astronauts  have pistols,grenades,and bazookas on board rockets. They can use all these without having a hull breach at all;along with being able to expose a nuclear reactor with no protective gear on.

Speed 2:

The film my avatar comes from! It's really a wtf were they thinking type film. Willem Dafoe is funny whenever he's onscreen,but everyone else is acting like they belong in community theater. It's pretty boring for the most part.The worse is the last act which is a Michael Bay fest of excess. Other than Dafoe and the hilariously bad CGI,it's a snoozefest.

Fight Back to School- Hilarious classic Stephen Chow movie. But as you grow older you're not gonna like it as much. I thought it was so much better than Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle as a teenager.

Top Secret!- Airplane but in Spy form. Very hilarious, but subdued. Why isn't Skeet Surfin' a thing? Awesome the song was written by the Beach Boys, though I wonder how they got Brian Wilson!

I'll Believe You - This movie is a really great film, and I'm not normally a fan of Independent films.  It has Patrick Warburton, Fred Willard, Chris Elliot, and Ed Helms in it.  It's about a guy who works a late night radio show about alien sightings who receives a phone call in a strange language, leading him on a strange journey with a somewhat satisfying conclusion.  It's well worth watching, look it up.

After some time, just saw Spider Man 2 again. This time was 2.5/directors cut version with deleted scenes

Original Trilogy FTW. I even take three over ASM. If you haven't seen the 2.5 version, it has a few hilarious scenes that shouldn't have been cut. IMO

Ex Machina

I think it was hyped so much I expected too much. I liked it. But I think I heard too much hype. I think I prefer Sunshine in the deep thinking sci fi genre. Spoiler free comment: Not sure why the one person got locked up..... That didn't fit in IMO. I lnow, I get the plan, but why that?

Gravity - I appreciated how it jumped right into the action, built up tension really well, and the main character caught absolutely zero breaks. You have to pay attention to catch the details also. George Clooney was good and added a level of comic relief (of sorts). Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Ex Machina

I think it was hyped so much I expected too much. I liked it. But I think I heard too much hype. I think I prefer Sunshine in the deep thinking sci fi genre. Spoiler free comment: Not sure why the one person got locked up..... That didn't fit in IMO. I lnow, I get the plan, but why that?
I felt the same. As for the part...

I think there weren't any feelings involved. He was a means to get what she want. I think he was tricked to stay. I think the only reason is that the logistics would have been bad for Ava. Two people arrive at the helicopter pad? How would they explain that? Will he try to stop Ava at some point? He would be the only person to know her secret out in the world.

The original ending ends with the helicopter, I think. She probably would have killed the pilot since the pilot would never have dropped her off.

Being cryptic and vague cause it spoils a lot, so...

I felt the same. As for the part...

I think there weren't any feelings involved. He was a means to get what she want. I think he was tricked to stay. I think the only reason is that the logistics would have been bad for Ava. Two people arrive at the helicopter pad? How would they explain that? Will he try to stop Ava at some point? He would be the only person to know her secret out in the world.

The original ending ends with the helicopter, I think. She probably would have killed the pilot since the pilot would never have dropped her off.

Being cryptic and vague cause it spoils a lot, so...

Yeah but...

that means she has literally zero emotion, true machine

Or

She's a cold witch to leave him like that, to starve and for away after helping her.

Physcopath or Sociopath.

Maybe that was the point, it's smarter and will kill us all. :lol:

Yeah but...

that means she has literally zero emotion, true machine

Or

She's a cold witch to leave him like that, to starve and for away after helping her.

Physcopath or Sociopath.

Maybe that was the point, it's smarter and will kill us all. :lol:
She obviously had emotions, since she hated her "dad" so much. She just didn't care about humans in general. She seems to care about the models before her, including you-know-who.

Personally, I think the original ending would have been more open-ended. This ending makes me feel like she's basically going to be a serial killer.

Kristy on Netflix

Surprisingly really awesome thriller. Very well made for its budget too as the cinematography and score are excellent. I don't usually go for these type of movies but thought I'd try it and am glad I did. The plot is about a college girl who is terrorized over Thanksgiving break by this weird cult who likes to stalk their victims through chase (they go after young women who they name Kristy hence the title) before killing them. As she is alone on campus since everyone else has gone home for the holiday she has to fend for herself and take matters into her own hands.

Good film as I said, very well done. The lead is a good actress and she's not the a bimbo sorority girl that usually shows up in these type of films. Only real issues I had was it took a little bit to get going at the start but it doesn't drag that much to put you off, just feel they could have trimmed it down a tad. Secondly, without going into details for spoilers, there are moments where you just shake your head as the cult at times seems to always know where she goes or can instantly teleport to the girl's location even if they are 200 feet away. Since it's a scary movie though I guess the second one is practically a standard in any film of this genre though since most are guilty of having that one in.

Final verdict is it's a definitely a watch if you like thrillers/scary films as it reminded me of The Strangers a lot though it's not nearly graphic or violent than it. (In fact I don't even know its rating as it never got a proper US release, I honestly think it would be a hard PG-13 as language is minimal and there actually is no big bloody scenes) If you don't like those kinds of movies you still might like it as it's very well made and as a cat and mouse chase sort of film it's pretty fun and suspenseful. Considering it takes place at Thanksgiving now is the perfect time to give it a play this week too. I don't know how long tit's on Netflix either and as it never got a US release might want to check it out while you can also.

The Exorcist:

First time really watching and it was excellent. It is really a shame how far the horror genre has fallen since this. Today this would handled in such a goofy OTT manner,compared how serious it's treated in this. William Friedkin was just a god-tier director in the 70's(this,French Connection,and Sorcerer all made during that period).

Alien 3(assembly cut):

This cut makes it so much better(first time watching it and always hated the original cut).I love how it just screws the happy ending if the last and goes into bleak situation (Ripley never catches a break).  The atmosphere and visuals are excellent.David Fincher may have disowned it but it is definitely his work visually(has the drained out colors and a lot of grays). The worse part of it ironically is the Alien itself which is just a terrible effect. It is still flawed film but it's amazing the film is even watchable considering the cluster**** of a production it had.

Spy.

A dumb comedy done right. Acting was suprisingly good by majority of the cast. Statham was perfect for his role, as was McCarthy.

They Live

Was chatting with a friend on PS4 and he suggested it, its one of his favourites. I thought it was pretty cool, cool 80s movie. I love the way the aliens looked.

They_Live.jpg

They Live

Was chatting with a friend on PS4 and he suggested it, its one of his favourites. I thought it was pretty cool, cool 80s movie. I love the way the aliens looked.

They_Live.jpg
It also has the greatest fight scene of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

Yeah man, my friend said its got a legendary fight scene when he was suggesting it. The fight was so over the top and funny, and just kept going on and on.

It's definitely one of Carpenter's best.

Emperor of The North:

One of the most 'manly' films ever made. A great cat and mouse between a hobo(Lee Marvin) and a sadistic conducteur(Ernest Borgnine) on a fast moving fright train. Both of them are excellent and also do most of their stunts which are pretty damn-impressive. Doesn't get anymore badass than two man fighting on a moving train with 2x4's and chains.

Let Us Prey - Really got into it. Was pretty predictable from the start, but I was fine with it. 

Half Past Dead:

Mind-numbingly retarded,even by Steven Seagal film standards. It is hilarious in how utterly incompetent it is in everything.So Seagal's character is Russian,but not once does he even attempt an accent. Then the action scenes which are hilariously bad.Not once do you see a blood squib,instead you see a lot of spark explosions(worse than an episode of Power Rangers)and people just falling with no blood on them.It follows the trends of the time by dubbing down R-rated action films to PG-13,along with copying the Matrix terribly in the action scenes.Then you got the most unintimidating bad guy played by Morris Chestnut(seriously?) .It's over-stylized mess,but pretty funny to laugh at. Hell,am surprised this shit got released in theaters;considering how cheap it looks and it's DTV plot.

I find it hilarious that, of the 4 comic book trailers released over the past 2 weeks, Dawn of Justice looks the weakest by far. Even weaker than TMNT 2.

I find it hilarious that, of the 4 comic book trailers released over the past 2 weeks, Dawn of Justice looks the weakest by far. Even weaker than TMNT 2.
I completely agree. Dawn of Justice didn't appeal to me whatsoever. I couldn't find anything remarkable from it either.

Anyways I recently watched Outrage, a Japanese crime drama. It was alright, but I felt like I've seen something similar to it before.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D IMAX

I think I got something in my eye during the movie, like from start to finish.

Legit goosebumps numerous times. Had an absolute blast watching it.

Just saw it. What garbage. Why can't they just let the franchise die off and stop fucking with our nostalgia. It's so predictable it becomes boring. So don't even bother with any more sequels. It felt so fabricated and the acting was terrible. Jesus christ, the best actors were CG. Just don't even bother to go see it. Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Road Chips just didn't live up to the hype. What a disappointment.

I know everyone's just going to talk about Star Wars for a long time (and Alvin...), but just watched Man from U.N.C.L.E. Not too shabby. Expected a little bit more, probably due to loving Snatch and Archer, but it was still entertaining. Hope they do make a sequel though.

Creed.

The first trailer piqued my interest and thought it was an interesting concept. I honestly had mixed feelings when Stallone showed up, but understand that without him, it'd just be another black movie that no one would watch, which would be unfortunate because it's a pretty good movie. I think that they could've had Apollo's trainer and it would've worked just as well though. Half way through the movie, I was assuming he'd show up. The acting and chemistry was pretty good overall and entirely predictable, but still a fun jaunt in that world. Like the first Rocky, I think the movie stands great on it's own and doesn't need a sequel. Loved how Donny Creed talked shit while boxing and wished he did a little more of it...hahaha.

I Come in Peace:

A great B-movie knockoff if Predator/Terminator. Instead of having the alien hunting for sport,it's a drug dealer alien sucking the endorphins from humans which is a great twist on the formula. I was really surprised by Dolph Lugren,who is does a good job as the wiseass cop(shame he was just typecast as generic action man). Pretty amazing the amount of shots that had the actors with explosions going off a few feet from them(this would all be CGI and green screen today). Solid action worth watching.

The Exorcist III:

I thought it was great despite some flaws(mostly due to the studio execs ****ing with the film. The film has a really creepy and unsettling atmosphere which is something most horror films lack.The performances are excellent.George C. Scott is great as the angry detective,and Brad Dourif is amazing like usual. The big issue with the film though is the tacked exorcism ending forced on by the studio(the film wasn't suppose to have one or be called The Exorcist). It is OTT nonsense which makes the exorcism from the first film look subtle. This also screws up the main plot since the director had to add scenes to set this shit up,along with cutting out others scenes which included the original ending.Still really effective horror film despite the changes forced by the studio(thankfully a director's cut is finally happening to fix that though).

Akira:

Beautiful visuals in service of thin characters and a convoluted mess of a plot. Yeah,you have all these good action scenes,but am bored to death by them .since I don't care about these characters or any of the stakes involved during them;which was even worse during the last hour which was nonstop action for the most part. They try make Tetsuo this tragic figure,but the film didn't do enough for me to care about him(I thought it was hilarious that they try to give his relationship with Kaneda something during the last 3 mins). It's a well made film on a technical level(I thought the soundtrack and they way it was used was excellent),but I felt pretty empty during the whole runtime.

bread's done
Back