Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='Foo228']Caught Black Swan last night, I was floored by how intriguing it had been.
Everything about the movie, from Portman's performance to the way things simply played out had me only wanting more. This is after most people I've asked were either for or against it, so I would say it's one of those love it or hate it films, but I'd even go as far as to say you gotta see it no matter what you've heard to validate your own opinion on the film.
[/QUOTE]

It's very much a love/hate film. Most of the people I know who are into artsy films/indie films/foreign films have loved. With a couple of exception.

Some acquaintances who aren't in to film and just watch a few action movies, comedies etc. and got drug by their girlfriends etc. hated it universally. And I can see that, it's not the best film for an introduction to more artistic movies I suppose.

So that's been my recommendation pattern/reasoning. If its someone I know digs indie films etc., I highly recommend it. If it's a very casual movie fan (especially my macho sports loving type A personality friends) I caution them that it probably won't be their cup of tea.

four lions - good movie, funny and a bit sad at times, interested choice of setting(subject I dunno) I suppose.
takers - was entertaining, loved the armored car scene, adn yeah the running was fun.

watched with my sister
never let me go - something about this movie I love
vacation with derek - about what you would expect, ah sort of missed this sort of movie.
the kids are all right - love the name movie was ok and my bunch of these are a bit sad.
blue valentine - well done movie and hmm trailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgr_iGATB4

[quote name='Soodmeg']Exit through the Gift shop.

I am confused at this, I guess I am stuck in the is this a Mock or a Doc debate. If its a mock then I kinda like it but if its a doc then its trash. The first half was very watchable and extremely interesting but when it switches to the Camera guy I lost it.

The Mr.Brainwash guy is such a douche because he is a poser. He is not a filmmaker or a artist he is a guy who fell into it by complete chance and then copied what he saw without ever even attempting to learn the craft of either Film-making or Art.

I still liked it because it did showcase street art and the artist behind them with their struggles of how to produce an illegal art show and that line of doing things for mass reaction vs dealing with becoming mainstream. Although I am happy for the people who worked for Mr. Brainwash because those people are legit craftsmen with talent....their boss was just an idiot.

EDIT: I just realized that I was referring to the content of the doc not the doc itself. The doc itself is very well made, well shoot, well edited and the story was fantastic. So for that I will say its a excellent use of your time. Well worth the watch.[/QUOTE]

I just finished this movie tonight and was ultimately impressed by it towards the end. I was expecting a cool documentary and sweet artwork, but the beginning of the movie was more about the film maker which kind of confused me -- and the showcased artwork wasn't too impressive to me.

When Bansky's work came into the picture I was very impressed, but then the film kept going with the film maker's story and it ended up going in a direction I didn't see coming.

Awesome film, great message.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just finished this movie tonight and was ultimately impressed by it towards the end. I was expecting a cool documentary and sweet artwork, but the beginning of the movie was more about the film maker which kind of confused me -- and the showcased artwork wasn't too impressive to me.

When Bansky's work came into the picture I was very impressed, but then the film kept going with the film maker's story and it ended up going in a direction I didn't see coming.

Awesome film, great message.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I liked it a lot. But I had no idea what it was about before watching--had just heard rave reviews of it.

So I had no idea who Banksy was or what the film was about at all, so I had no expectations going in. So I could see how someone expecting a doc solely about Banksy and street art could be a bit put off by the focus of the movie.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's very much a love/hate film. Most of the people I know who are into artsy films/indie films/foreign films have loved. With a couple of exception.

Some acquaintances who aren't in to film and just watch a few action movies, comedies etc. and got drug by their girlfriends etc. hated it universally. And I can see that, it's not the best film for an introduction to more artistic movies I suppose.

So that's been my recommendation pattern/reasoning. If its someone I know digs indie films etc., I highly recommend it. If it's a very casual movie fan (especially my macho sports loving type A personality friends) I caution them that it probably won't be their cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

Makes alotta sense man, I'd say that generalizes most people I know who've seen the film.

On another note, I just caught Groundhog day and Mrs. Doubtfire - 2 awesome movies worth checking out. Both from 93. :bouncy:

[quote name='dastly75']Buried - It was alright. Reynolds' character makes so many mistakes it's frustrating to the viewer. I liked the ending though.[/QUOTE]

This movie was good. It had my attention pretty much the whole time.

I didn't quite get what all the fuss about Toy Story 3. It was very good, don't get me wrong. But I liked the first 2 better (especially the 2nd) and still think Up is by far the best of the Pixar movies.

La Horde - 3/5 - nothing too special. At first how these people come together to fight the horde of zombies...pretty interesting. Sadly the movie does really go anywhere beyond that initial awkwardness. La Horde offers no explanation about the outbreak and packs a generic zombie storyline.
People meet up under set of circumstances, a friend gets bit, run around trying to survive while having no idea how to kill them, meet zombie killing expert who tells u the friend needs to die, massacre loads of zombies in an attempt to leave the area, end film. The older gent who they meet up with has quite a few funny lines who so happens to be pretty racist. This being a french movie its hard to pick up on the punchline delivery. I am sure it would have been funnier if I understood the french language better.

la horde isn't a must see movie but it can entertain those who seek a modern zombie movie with all the france flare.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Exit through the Gift shop.

I am confused at this, I guess I am stuck in the is this a Mock or a Doc debate. If its a mock then I kinda like it but if its a doc then its trash. The first half was very watchable and extremely interesting but when it switches to the Camera guy I lost it.

The Mr.Brainwash guy is such a douche because he is a poser. He is not a filmmaker or a artist he is a guy who fell into it by complete chance and then copied what he saw without ever even attempting to learn the craft of either Film-making or Art.

I still liked it because it did showcase street art and the artist behind them with their struggles of how to produce an illegal art show and that line of doing things for mass reaction vs dealing with becoming mainstream. Although I am happy for the people who worked for Mr. Brainwash because those people are legit craftsmen with talent....their boss was just an idiot.

EDIT: I just realized that I was referring to the content of the doc not the doc itself. The doc itself is very well made, well shoot, well edited and the story was fantastic. So for that I will say its a excellent use of your time. Well worth the watch.[/QUOTE]

The bits about street art and the personalities was very good, but when they got to Mr. Brainwash, who is a talentless, coattail riding poser it fell apart for me. Still worth watching and will probably win for best doc.

The Parking Lot movie - A documentary about parking lot attendants working at the Corner Parking Lot. Seen it on Netflix and just had to see what kind of movie could be about a parking lot. Figured it would be boring as hell but was surprisingly funny and interesting. Almost like a parking lot version of Clerks.
[quote name='Wikipedia']The Parking Lot Movie is a feature-length documentary directed by Meghan Eckman. It was filmed over the course of 3 years from 2007-2010. It premiered at South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, TX in 2010. It was purchased by PBS and aired nationwide on Independent Lens October 19th, 2010 - opening the 2010 Independent Lens Season. The Parking Lot Movie was released to Netflix January 15th, 2011 and is currently the 10th most queued film on Netflix Instant Streaming.[1]

Often described as the documentary version of Clerks, The Parking Lot Movie follows a select group of parking lot attendants who work at The Corner Parking Lot in Charlottesvile, Virginia. The eccentric brotherhood of attendants consist of grad students, overeducated philosophers, surly artists, middle-age slackers and more.
Located nearby the University of Virginia and tucked in behind a number of bars, the assortment of overeducated attendants who work at The Corner Parking Lot have to deal with throngs of drunken frat boys, vandals, and SUV-driving jerks who either take off without paying or fight them over sums as low as $0.40. Fortunately in this establishment the normally agreed upon rules of customer service don’t exist. Disrespect the staff and face the consequences.
In what becomes a discourse on American life, these overeducated parking attendants wax profoundly about car culture and capitalism, seek vengeance against entitled patrons and thieves, and make fun of drunken jerks.
If the intersection between the status quo and the quest for freedom is their ultimate challenge, could a slab of asphalt be an emotional weigh station for The American Dream? [2][/quote]
Sounds very interesting. I'll put it on my queue and watch it in the next few days. Where did you learn about this movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very interesting. I'll put it on my queue and watch it in the next few days. Where did you learn about this movie?

It's available through instant streaming on Netflix. It has high reviews, but personally I thought the movie was ok (definitely interesting though).

[quote name='2DMention']The bits about street art and the personalities was very good, but when they got to Mr. Brainwash, who is a talentless, coattail riding poser it fell apart for me. Still worth watching and will probably win for best doc.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't mind that part as I liked the point it was making about the art scene. It's all about hype and people buying whatever is currently hyped and going to showings to be seen etc. that it is about the quality of the art.

[quote name='madbst']It's available through instant streaming on Netflix. It has high reviews, but personally I thought the movie was ok (definitely interesting though).[/QUOTE]

I just watched it. It was good, although not as good as I expected it to be. Reminded me more of Slacker than Clerks. It's surprising there's overeducated, underemployed people who are over 30 that live those kinds of lives. I saw most of them moved on to something else later though.

The older people doing that work was both shocking and relieving for me.

Princess Tam Tam - Very entertaining early French film
Very Bad Things -This was utter garbage. every time I began to enjoy the film, it managed to show just how inane it was and made The Hangover (a film with similar characteristics) shine all the more brighter. It really showed me just good a movie The Hangover is in comparison to this film which had the early idea/concept down, but didn't understand how to execute on it in any manner.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I didn't quite get what all the fuss about Toy Story 3. It was very good, don't get me wrong. But I liked the first 2 better (especially the 2nd) and still think Up is by far the best of the Pixar movies.[/QUOTE]

Nostalgia.

[quote name='2DMention']Sounds very interesting. I'll put it on my queue and watch it in the next few days. Where did you learn about this movie?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I just like watching random stuff that is a bit different than the usual. The accessibility via Netflix helped too.

[quote name='2DMention']I just watched it. It was good, although not as good as I expected it to be. Reminded me more of Slacker than Clerks. It's surprising there's overeducated, underemployed people who are over 30 that live those kinds of lives. I saw most of them moved on to something else later though.

The older people doing that work was both shocking and relieving for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it wasn't super amazing but I thought it was a decent documentary and definitely surprising. I didn't know anything about it before I watched it though. I might have gotten my hopes up too high if I read that wiki article.

Never seen Slacker so didn't have much to compare it to. I was happy for the guys that were able to move on to something else. Dealing with pricks like those filmed would definitely drive me over the edge.

127 Hours - Very good performance by James Franco. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. The arm amputating scene is a bit rough to watch (specifically when he's cutting that nerve or whatever it was), but it's also very well done.

Enter the Void - What a fucking experience!
You get freaking lost in the movie! I almost forgot I was watching a movie after awhile.
A must watch for all and its on Netflix instant stream.

Tron Evolution: 9/10- An Exciting thrill ride. I loved it.

Zombieland 2/10- I found this movie to be terrible. The plot was predictable from beginning to the end with no excitement, the characters were meh. Most of the movie I did not even find funny, and the only good part of the movie was Tallahassee.

Surf Nazis Must Die 0/10- I watched this on a whim on my netflix because of the name. This movie is about a gang of teenagers who take over a beach in California. The first five minutes are watchable, the next hour is fall asleep boring and the last 15 minutes was watchable. I didn't know or cared what the hell was going on most of the time. There is little to no action, and just terrible all around. There is probably more action in the stock footage surfing scenes :lol:.

The Men from Earth - Little known indie flick that I do believe is on netflix instant watch. Great movie. A bit like an elongated episode of the Twilight Zone, but it was made by Jerome Bixby on his death bed (literally) and that would make it so. Highly recommended for sci-fi fans.

Paranormal Activity 2 - 3/5 - Let me start by saying I absolutely love Katie Featherston. With that out of the way PA2 isn't as good as the first but definitely a decent sequel. I did find a lot of the door slamming business less thrilling the second time around since it was expected. The couple new 'haunting' events they do are pretty cool. The movie did make me jump a couple times due to sudden loud bass note. Throughout the film i couldn't help but try to compare the dialog between the characters in the two films. The first film had some fantastic conversations between Micah and Kate which I found completely missing in this movie. PA2 had the stereotypical hollywood family which made it feel all not so organic. Overall I thought PA2 did a decent follow up to the first movie which is pretty difficult to do (look at how awful REC2 came out).

[quote name='bobo2k4']Enter the Void - What a fucking experience!
You get freaking lost in the movie! I almost forgot I was watching a movie after awhile.
A must watch for all and its on Netflix instant stream.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Irreversible, or I Stand Alone? They're Noe's other films, and Irreversible stands in my top ten films list. He's definitely quite the director, and from what I have seen of Enter the Void (haven't gotten around to it yet...) He's definitely still got it.

The Guardian - starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.

Kutcher wasn't all that great (cmon, its a drama role), but all in all the film surprised me on how much I enjoyed it. I got this years ago from a Bluray promotion offer (got it for free), only took me 3+ years to finally watch it.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Have you seen Irreversible, or I Stand Alone? They're Noe's other films, and Irreversible stands in my top ten films list. He's definitely quite the director, and from what I have seen of Enter the Void (haven't gotten around to it yet...) He's definitely still got it.[/QUOTE]

Luckily, Irreversible is also on instant so I'm gonna check that out sometime this week. Noe has to got some shit going on in his head but the movies he makes are damned good.

My wife and I watched a few movies this week.

Devil-- It was okay I guess, super predictable and kind of boring. I guess the more I think about it the less I liked it.

Saw 7?-- A complete piece of crap, easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I wanted my dollar back from Redbox.

Buried-- Much better than I expected it be and the ending was pretty awesome. This was the best of the three by far, though given its competition maybe its not as good as it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Illusionist (2010) - Great, fantastic animation, extremely little dialogue(no subtitles), surprisingly depressing, one cute as hell rabbit.

9 - Meh.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - Didn't like the beginning, then it grew on me midway through, then I hated the ending.

True Grit - It was decent, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. 8/10 at best from me.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']
True Grit - It was decent, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. 8/10 at best from me.[/QUOTE]

Saw it around Christmas time and thought the exact thing. Not too mention that I found ol' Rooster's dialogue nearly impossible to comprehend without subtitles. It was like rassafrassa *WHISKEY* rasssafraassas:lol:

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']
True Grit - It was decent, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. 8/10 at best from me.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like it as much as people were saying either, but I definitely liked it waaaay more than No Country For Old Men.

I didn't like True Grit as much as some (would agree with the 8/10).

But I liked No Country for Old Men much better as I love that movie.

[quote name='thefallingscream']Hatchet 2-Not as good as the first one,but I love me some Danielle Harris.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reminding me, I still need to buy that. Loved the first.

Wall Street Money Never Sleeps - It was whatever, nowhere near the first. I liked Josh Brolin.

[quote name='Cheddahz']Just finished watching Clerks 2....horrible movie that could've been so much more[/QUOTE]

Clerks 2 is great. I wish I knew what you were expecting from the movie..

Great line: I'm taking back the use of porch monkey....or something to the effect. Too lazy to look it up.

[quote name='gamer4432']The Guardian - starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.

Kutcher wasn't all that great (cmon, its a drama role), but all in all the film surprised me on how much I enjoyed it. I got this years ago from a Bluray promotion offer (got it for free), only took me 3+ years to finally watch it.[/QUOTE]

sigh ,got it the same way should really get around to watching it.
Did love the copy of Phantom of the Opera I got though.

the tourist - eh, not horrible but can't say I'd recommend it.

Pineapple Express - Kind of a what the hell just happened movie. Not as funny as everyone told me it was but not terrible.

Diary Of The Dead - Another Romero Zombie flick that fails to impress. I think it's just that the genre has become so bloated that anything new, even by a master, is just plain.

bread's done
Back