Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Having grown up in that god forsaken state, I can say family's like the Whites are far to common there. Pretty sad. Goes to show that urban inner cities aren't the only places that have turned into hell holes from decades of social and economic isolation. Many rural areas are just as bad and just have lower crime rates etc. as the population density is way lower.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Was good enjoyed it, although I found the ending hilarious and way out of place

The Social Network
Looked good on blu ray - really like it (seen at cinema also).. watched the making of after its amazing too, one of the best for a movie i've seen for a long time.

13 Assassins - The first Takashi Miike movie I loved. I actually swore off his movies after the awfulness that was Izo, but I'm glad I impulse bought this one.

Recently saw the last Harry Potter and Tree of Life.

I enjoyed both movies. Tree of Life meant so much more to me even if it drags here and there.

Blue Valentine.

Very good, but a bit of downer of a movie. Very similar to Revolutionary Road in terms of depicting a relationship gone sour, but not quite as gloomy.

I Like Killing Flys--entertaining documentary about a hole in the wall restaurant and it's eccentric owner.

Sin Nombre--very good. About a family trying to immigrate to the US intertwined with the story of a couple of kids from the MS13 gang etc.

Actually, I just watched the "new" Star Trek that was from JJ Abrams (sp?) on Netflix today. To be honest, I didn't know the first thing about Star Trek, but I really enjoyed the movie.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Actually, I just watched the "new" Star Trek that was from JJ Abrams (sp?) on Netflix today. To be honest, I didn't know the first thing about Star Trek, but I really enjoyed the movie.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know anything about Star Trek either and I also really enjoyed it.

My girlfriend also liked it, despite thoroughly expressing her extreme irritation at the beginning when she learned we were watching a Star Trek movie.

I'm Still Here (Joaquin Phoenix)

I enjoyed this mockumentary very much. Sure sometimes it focuses too much on arguments but there are some really funny scenes and the rapping is pretty hilarious too. The whole idea of messing with so many people for a long period of time is very amusing to me.

Loved this art installation video. Too bad ti's only aplicable in first world countries, I'd like to this work out in any South American city. I did however find it hilarious all the people who took more than one bill,toy squinkies, slowly and discreetly. Wonder if the camera was visible in order to intimidate the public into the desired interaction. where I live theres this backwards tradition of eating raw beef sandwhiches,where can i buy squinkies,

Captain America

Maybe I'm not into any of these Avengers. Liked the parts before the main character becomes CA but after that didn't care too much. More than anything I'd say the dialogue was a bit annoying to me.

X-Men First Class...again.

Still think it's probably the best comic book movie to come out in the past few years. Definitely the best based off a Marvel comic in the past few years.

Harry Potter 8 - Probably the best one of the bunch though I wish they didn't use the crappy epilogue from the book.

Captain America - Good in that it does the material justice but unspectacular in that it doesn't take much risk. Better than Thor but not anywhere as engaging as Xmen First Class(which I hold to be the best Marvel movie).

ソラニン (Soranin)
- Aoi Miyazaki has a great performance as the central character. The movie centers around chasing the dream though it envelops certain life challenges that everyday people face(e.g., having a source of income and being happy with your career). The movie doesn't stray too far from the mold but it has good to great performances and takes its time unlike the typical hollywood 90 min cram. Recommended if you like Japanese cinema.

Rabbit Hole.

Very good. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart were both fantastic. It's a character study of those two and how they're coping with the death of their 4 year old son.

Monte Carlo- Went with a lady friend cause she wanted to see it and I wanted to spend the day with her anyway. Of course it wasn't good. See it if you like Wizards of Waverly Place I guess? Or if you are a Gomez fan cause otherwise you are not going to be entertained.

Saw Friends With Benefits last night and it was surprisingly pretty good. Everyone says that its the same movie as No Strings Attached but from the trailers this just looked better. It was funny and had some touching moments.

Predator 2 - Danny Glover in place of Arnold doesn't really work for me. Some impressive, over the top 80s gore though.

I'm halfway through the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring. The CG special effects have not held up very well. The fights that involve humans/elves/dwarves vs. orcs/goblins still work though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rango.

It was ok.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. It's a story that's been told a thousand times already, and it was told in a boring way.

Kungfu Dunk

was aight

[quote name='whoknows']13 Assassins - The first Takashi Miike movie I loved. I actually swore off his movies after the awfulness that was Izo, but I'm glad I impulse bought this one.[/QUOTE]
omg, watch Crows Zero (theres also a part 2) and you might like Sukiyaki Western Django

Harry Potter 7.2.

Saw it in Imax 3D. Thought it was very good, though I was expecting a bit more from the final battle. 3D was nothing special, but it was awesome seeing it on the huge IMAX screen anyway.

ZAFF 2011 Reviews:

Day 01

Genius Party Beyond - 6.95 averaged score
13 Assassins - 9.66 averaged score

geniusparty.jpg

13AssassinsPoster.jpg
]

Everyone who is in the mood for some epic action needs to check out 13 Assassins. Although it is difficult to keep up the variety of characters in the film, the main villain is among the most cruel and sadistic I've seen in film this entire year. It definitely deserves a watch from everyone here.

Watch Genius Party Beyond if you're looking for new approaches to animation. Otherwise stay away. It's relatively slow but nevertheless mesmerizing.

The Eagle. I think I already posted it but yeah I liked it.

And yep I am not at all into Star Trek or even sci fi in general but the newest Star Trek movie is awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Also wanting to see Winnie The Pooh. The not knot joke in the preview was hilarious I thought.

[quote name='ShockandAww']The Eagle. I think I already posted it but yeah I liked it.[/QUOTE]

I just watched this last night and was coming here to post about it. I also thought it was pretty good.

"Cowboys and Aliens"

I'm not really into westerns, but I found the more "western" like parts of this movie to be the most engaging (Cowboys vs. Indians, The spoiled son, the doctor who can't shoot, ect). It was amazingly predictable, though.

Still, as far as popcorn flicks go, this is one of the best of the summer. The actions scenes were intense and not overused, and the acting was just amazing. After a while, you forget about how absurd this premise is and just go with it, which leads to a surprisingly good time. I highly recommend it if you are not into little blue people and romance movies.

[quote name='DrMunkee']"Cowboys and Aliens"

I'm not really into westerns, but I found the more "western" like parts of this movie to be the most engaging (Cowboys vs. Indians, The spoiled son, the doctor who can't shoot, ect). It was amazingly predictable, though.

Still, as far as popcorn flicks go, this is one of the best of the summer. The actions scenes were intense and not overused, and the acting was just amazing. After a while, you forget about how absurd this premise is and just go with it, which leads to a surprisingly good time. I highly recommend it if you are not into little blue people and romance movies.[/QUOTE]

I second everything he said. Very enjoyable popcorn movie.

Don't believe the trailer or this review:

"This is the sort of film that Oscar generally ignores come awards season. It shouldn't. Crazy Stupid Love is a crazy smart film."

It was alright. Definitely not worthy of an Oscar, though.

Raging Bull - not as gritty as I was expecting but perhaps I'm too jaded for a film from 1980 to really shock me. Still worth watching although it mostly served to get me interested in reading about Jake La Motta.

The Fighter - a better boxing film if only because I have a good friend who grew up near Lowell, Massachusetts. Again, it mostly prompted some reading about the real-life characters.

[quote name='Elite Bushido™']Kungfu Dunk

was aight

omg, watch Crows Zero (theres also a part 2) and you might like Sukiyaki Western Django[/QUOTE]

yeah kungfu dunk was ok there was an asian ping pong movie a few years back that was hillarious.

I just finished a ton of Christian Bale movies. (My favorite actor.)

Equilibrium 7/10
Very emotional despite lack of emotion, the gunfights got me pumped.

Rescue Dawn 5/10
Didn't really dig the whole captured by Laotians thing, but the fact it was based on a true story kinda shocked me.

The Machinist 7/10
Insanity, one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to entertainment.

3:10 to Yuma 8/10
Not a big fan of westerns, but I really loved the characters.

Harsh Times 10/10
This got me on a personal level, it reminded a lot of my favorite Uncle, God rest his soul.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah kungfu dunk was ok there was an asian ping pong movie a few years back that was hillarious.[/QUOTE]

kung fu dunk was ridiculously stupid but was so funny. I liked it alot since I love basketball and nba jam dunks. Ping Pong Playa I think it was called was pretty good, too. Recently saw Frozen on netflix q and it's one of those movies where the characters do everything damn thing wrong. Just annoying as hell to watch. Fat sick and nearly dead was a great documentary about obese people and how to get back into shape by drinking juice. Pretty amazing to see how dedicated they were and the transformations that took place. I recently watched the bournce identity trilogy and loved it. Wonderful movies.

[quote name='noone13']I second everything he said. Very enjoyable popcorn movie.[/QUOTE]

I third it, had one of the best times at the movies this summer with it.

[REC]2 - First was better, but this was really good as well with some cool twists. They took the story in a completely different direction from the first, but it works well.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']kung fu dunk was ridiculously stupid but was so funny. I liked it alot since I love basketball and nba jam dunks. Ping Pong Playa I think it was called was pretty good, too. Recently saw Frozen on netflix q and it's one of those movies where the characters do everything damn thing wrong. Just annoying as hell to watch. Fat sick and nearly dead was a great documentary about obese people and how to get back into shape by drinking juice. Pretty amazing to see how dedicated they were and the transformations that took place. I recently watched the bournce identity trilogy and loved it. Wonderful movies.[/QUOTE]

thats it ping pong playa ill check out frozen once ive whittled down my list freak netflix has so many movies and a ton of great classic stuff or things i was curious about but never got to see. even found the happy hooker goes to washington lol. i wonder if they have dr detroit on netflix.

[quote name='tcrash247'][REC]2 - First was better, but this was really good as well with some cool twists. They took the story in a completely different direction from the first, but it works well.[/QUOTE]

which one did you see the original or the remake? i saw the original rec1 and 2 those movies are damn good horror flicks especially rec 2 that movie had some scary shit in it.

kinda curious has anyone here seen carriers 2 yet ? i wanted to know if it was any good.

bread's done
Back