Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='lokizz']warning to any and all zombie fans never watch the day of the dead remake ever unless youre dying to see nick cannon die.[/QUOTE]

I watched his Career die.

Does that count?

[quote name='lokizz']i agree with you but like the horror whore i am im going to see the fright night remake eventually. they cast a good geek for the geeky friend role but i dont see how colin farrel will do a convincing vampire.

warning to any and all zombie fans never watch the day of the dead remake ever unless youre dying to see nick cannon die.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I will definitely watch it too, despite my nitpicking. (I managed to enjoy the Karate Kid remake...Jackie Chan doing some seriously good dramatic acting for once). From what I read, Colin Farrel is fucking awesome in the FN remake, surprising a lot of critics. And I heard Chris Sarandon has a cameo.

As far as the Day remake, I boycotted that shit once I learned it was not related to Zack Snyder's Dawn remake. Which I initially assumed because Ving Rhames was in both movies.

Red State - Not bad, Kevin Smith did a good job in making something other than comedy. I still prefer his funny stuff, but this was definitely worth watching.

King of Fighters - Hoo boy, I have no idea why I watched this turd of a film. I'm a huge King of Fighters fan, I guess that's why. However, the movie is just terrible. Ray Park should just stick to being a stuntman/character that never speaks. Only sexy Maggie Q makes the move watchable, everything else is just awful.

The Baby's Room from 6 films that'll keep you awake. Pretty decent horror movie if you don't mind subtitles or can understand Spanish. Liked it a lot as it was different from most of the crappy horror on netflix streaming.

Finally watched The Last Airbender. Thought people were just nitpicking when they said how bad this movie was but now I know how wrong I was. What a steaming pile of nonsense. I liked the Avatar series' a lot and could get over the bad castings and weird name changes but the dialogue in most parts was just awful and was being way too obvious. The acting from most was sub-par at best. And the bending/action was beyond boring. It was one of the few movies I could barely finish and that was with browsing forums towards the end.

Also rewatched The Man Who Knew Too Little, haven't seen it since it came out. Still just as good as I remember it. Bill Murray is hilarious in this underrated movie and I enjoy the plot even though it is implausible and sometimes silly. Love the Boris character as well.

「愛のむき出し」(Ai no mukidashi) or Love Exposure (2008) - So the most noticeable thing about this movie is the run time. 4 hours. I had a lot of apprehension about this. Well let me say, not a second of this movie is dull. The pacing is excellent, the characters are...interesting, and it has that familiar Japanese wackiness feel to it. Even with its epic dramatic take on young love, it's hard not to feel for the characters by the end. Honestly, it will fit in well with my other favorite movies. If you have any affinity for hyperbole, epic plots, and/or Japanese cinema, it's a must watch.

Note: Don't scroll down on the IMDB page for this movie, it has a blatant spoiler in the Q&A section.

[quote name='tcrash247']Limitless - Better than I expected. It was interesting from start to end.[/QUOTE]

When I saw this I couldn't help but think that he was making so many stupid decisions for supposedly being so smart.

It took him WAY too long to go to a scientist and try to get the pill recreated. It's like wishing for more wishes. How is that not the obvious first priority. Also, he forgot to pay back the criminal that lent him the money? Why wouldn't you do that as soon as you quintupled (or whatever he did) your money?

I think the pill makes you smart enough to be an intriguing character but leaves you with enough stupid to make an interesting movie :roll:

[quote name='dastly75']「愛のむき出し」(Ai no mukidashi) or Love Exposure (2008) - [/QUOTE]
I noticed that Rotten Tomatoes has it as opening but where am I supposed to see it?
Is it like a big city only thing (NYC, SF)

Women in Trouble- The characters don't all get the same share of time or importance and the end was a low point. Stick after the credits though. It's a bit surprising that this movie has such a low rating. It was a fun ride of ludicrousy and odd characters. Just not deep characters though so perhaps that was a major issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nifty_Shark']I noticed that Rotten Tomatoes has it as opening but where am I supposed to see it?
Is it like a big city only thing (NYC, SF)
[/QUOTE]

It had screenings in LA/NY back in June/July...I have no idea if it will expand and I can't find any details. I had to torrent it as I think it might be slim chances that it will have a screening in FL(though I'd see it in theater in a heartbeat).

Final Destination 5 - Fun movie, as they all are. This one was particularly better than the last 2. The second movie stands as my favorite, though.

Apollo 18

I've grown pretty bored of the "lost footage" sub-genre, but this was surprisingly watchable and had a few genuinely alarming moments.

From what little I know of NASA's programs, the tech and procedures seemed real enough, even if the "secret Department of Defense space shuttle mission" premise is a tough pill to swallow. Still, what they do fine up there is genuinely creepy and leaves you speculating well after you leave the theater.

Red State

It was a pretty intense movie. The acting and dialogue were great and the shootout was very well done. I really liked the conversation between John Goodman and his superiors near the end of the movie. I thought the abrupt ending suited the movie very well. 8/10 from me.

I saw Attack the Block this weekend....

Holy shit what a great movie. It's not like Shaun of the Dead but it's going to get the comparison either way. Highly recommended.

[quote name='GhostShark']King of Fighters - Hoo boy, I have no idea why I watched this turd of a film. I'm a huge King of Fighters fan, I guess that's why. However, the movie is just terrible. Ray Park should just stick to being a stuntman/character that never speaks. Only sexy Maggie Q makes the move watchable, everything else is just awful.[/QUOTE]

lol i watched this on netflix a day or two ago and couldnt stop laughing at how bad it was. the only positive i could find was they had my favorite character from the series in it iori ( i beat ass with him in the arcade) other than that it was shit even worse than that doa movie or the tekken live action movie.

[quote name='moon_knight']Grave of the Fireflies
13 Assassins
I Love You Phillip Morris[/QUOTE]

grave of fireflies is awesome but very depressing and as far as 13 assasins goes how long into it until it picks up pace? i started it a few weeks ago but it felt really slow except for the gorey freaky bits 30 minutes in ( that shit was cool).

[quote name='DestroVega']I saw Attack the Block this weekend....

Holy shit what a great movie. It's not like Shaun of the Dead but it's going to get the comparison either way. Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

ill give it a definite second that movie is a very fun view i wouldnt say its so much shaun of the dead as it is a london ghetto version of super 8 that does everything right. and the kids are way more likeable. are street kids really like that in london?

^ Apparently they are. The writer/director came up with the idea after being mugged in a similar way, and he researched who the kids were who mugged him. Pretty fascinating.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ Apparently they are. The writer/director came up with the idea after being mugged in a similar way, and he researched who the kids were who mugged him. Pretty fascinating.[/QUOTE]

so i guess that makes the writer the chick then lol definelty adds another layer to the flick. if you know of any links to that id like to read up on it.

Harry Potter - Deathly Hallows Part 2 : I seem to remember the book being darker but the movie still does a great job of portraying the gloom hanging over the world. I enjoyed it but it remains a difficult series to just jump back into because there isn't time to remind the viewer exactly who everyone is and what they've done in previous books/movies. Once all 8 films are available on blu-ray in one semi-cheap set, I'll get them all at once and try to watch them over a month or so. Same with the books (although I realize that I could do that starting today).

On sort of a related note, I view the HP books as a spiritual successor to the works of Roald Dahl and C.S. Lewis which is a very good thing. Many years ago my parents started me down the path to literacy at a young age by reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to me at night. I can see the HP books doing the same thing for years into the future.

[quote name='lokizz']grave of fireflies is awesome but very depressing and as far as 13 assasins goes how long into it until it picks up pace? i started it a few weeks ago but it felt really slow except for the gorey freaky bits 30 minutes in ( that shit was cool).[/QUOTE]
Most of the movie is build up minus a few fight scenes throughout, the last 30-40 minutes is the final battle.

[quote name='moon_knight']Most of the movie is build up minus a few fight scenes throughout, the last 30-40 minutes is the final battle.[/QUOTE]

good to know ill scan through the earlier bits stopping here and there.

The Next Three Days - Awesome movie. Huge of Crowe and he didn't disappoint in this movie. What the main character was able to do was nothing short of remarkable. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 51% and said it had an "implausible plot" which is total bullshit. If bank robbers can get away with the perfect robbery then a guy could do what Crowe did in that movie.

[quote name='VipFREAK']If you value your life then DO NOT go see conan... I'm gonna go kill myself now.[/QUOTE]

Duly noted.

The Usual Suspects

Not bad, the whole Kaizer Sosai (spelling?) mystery had me stumped all the way up until the last minute of the movie. I usually catch onto things like that halfway through a movie. Very well done, I should watch more mob flicks.

[quote name='moon_knight']Most of the movie is build up minus a few fight scenes throughout, the last 30-40 minutes is the final battle.[/QUOTE]

you were right that big fight was the shit!!!!!!!! one of the best final battles ive seen in a movie in a long time im glad i didnt skip the movie because of the boring stuff. quick question about the end though how was it the guy
who had been in a cage looked perfectly fine at the end? he was stabbed in the throat and sliced in the gut but when he shows up at the very end he looked fine.

[quote name='lokizz']you were right that big fight was the shit!!!!!!!! one of the best final battles ive seen in a movie in a long time im glad i didnt skip the movie because of the boring stuff. quick question about the end though how was it the guy
who had been in a cage looked perfectly fine at the end? he was stabbed in the throat and sliced in the gut but when he shows up at the very end he looked fine.
[/QUOTE]
One theory is that
he is some kind of forest spirit/demon.

[quote name='moon_knight']One theory is that
[/QUOTE]

some kind of devine help to stop the hell that would have come if that guy had made it to where he was going? thats cool oddly enough when i saw the guy i kept thinking about that monkey guy from asian myths.

13 Assassins.

Brutally awesome. It was like an hour straight of sword fighting towards the end. I thought some of the scenes of 1-2 guys fighting a crowd of 20 was a bit too unrealistically handled though, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanna - Good stuff! It was a blind buy for me on blu ray because I've heard great things and The Chemical Brothers did the score. I wasn't disappointed at all.

[quote name='moon_knight']One theory is that
[/QUOTE]

Not a theory. He's definitely a yokai. Especially with the woman he was after, and how she ate her own fetus.

Everyone should really check out Confessions and The Chaser.

I Saw the Devil - I've never been a huge fan of Korean films, but this movie is really good. One of the best thrillers/revenge films I've ever seen.

[quote name='Oaxan']Gran Torino

Sonovafuck, that movie was nothing like what I thought it was gonna be.
Still great, though.[/QUOTE]

yeah they didnt advertise that flick properly because i had one idea of what itd be like going in but was blown away by what it was really like. easily one of my top 5 eastwood flicks.

Not a movie but its on Netflix and should be seen - The Vice Guide to Travel

At least watch the Liberia episode. Some Fallout, end of times shit come to life. I literally played some New Vegas after that episode and thought, "This isn't so bad" while wandering the wastelands.

Finally saw Paul. Fun movie, I liked the special effects, considering it was a nice experiment in CGI. Maybe they should've used a puppet instead with the monster magic touches, ah movies these days.

bread's done
Back