Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Watched Bridesmaids last night. Fully expected this movie to be one of those flicks that showed all the funny stuff during its commercials only to see it was legitimately hilarious.

Also cool to see Paul Feig show some love to the "smaller" actors of The Office. Appearances by David Wallace, Carol Stills, and Hank the Security Guard to name a few. (and of course Erin).

The Adjustment Bureau was just on HBO and I must say it's one of those movies that you can leave the theater still thinking about it. The film itself felt rushed and loses you at some points because of this but the premise is solid enough to carry the audience through.

Thomas Newman lends his musical genius to the soundtrack and proves he can be upbeat in contrast to his usual melancholia. Why doesn't anyone ever tell me when he scores a new movie? I really need a newsletter or something because his work is always fantastic.

Overall, this movie surprised me by twisting the elements of everyday life in a new way. The Christian overtones may turn off some but agnostics will appreciate the ideology presented. It's a smart film, if poorly presented but gets a thumbs up from me.

[quote name='blazsox']Watched Bridesmaids last night. Fully expected this movie to be one of those flicks that showed all the funny stuff during its commercials only to see it was legitimately hilarious.[/quote]

Decided to check it out. Pretty damn hilarious the whole time. Lol

True Grit- the John Wayne version. That girl looked a lot like Demi Moore in Ghost.
Now I can watch the sequel more properly, though I've seen it on tv a few times...

Super 8 - I didn't think it would suck, but I didn't think I would fall in love with it like I did.
Paul - Same as above.

Hugo 3D - A good movie, but underwhelming based on their trailer. It's supposed to be one of the best movies using 3D but I found it nothing special. Definitely still worth a watch.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Feeling a strong seven on this one. Good fun. I'll probably buy it at some point.

The premise is fun, sort of a horror movie switcheroo where the hillbillies are the victims and the college kids are the villains. I tried to find a theater playing it locally but no go. I've waited months to see this thing and I was not disappointed. Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk really sell this one and having Katrina Bowden around certainly doesn't hurt.

Falling Down

Feeling a light six on this one. I thought it would be relevant given what's happening in America today but I guess I misunderstood what the film is all about. Of course, I didn't want to completely spoil myself researching it. The psychology was largely sidestepped and the story was more or less cop vs killer. I have a few other nitpicks but overall an enjoyable ride with some memorable scenes. SPOILER ALERT: Micheal Douglas changes his mind about breakfast.

Oh yeah, Robert Duvall is awesome. Getting to be a pretty big fan of his.

Last edited by a moderator:
for how awful everyone told me that Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull was going to be, I actually enjoyed it through and through. Maybe I had ultra low expectations, but it was just fun to watch and I had a big smile almost the whole time.

Going to try and see Young Adult on Monday. I'm really looking forward to that one so hopefully it's pretty good.

Damn, was hoping to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy today, but it only got limited release and isn't playing in my city.

Anyone know if there is a wide release planned later?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Damn, was hoping to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy today, but it only got limited release and isn't playing in my city.

Anyone know if there is a wide release planned later?[/QUOTE]
They had originally planned on a wide release, but went with a limited release instead.

[quote name='moon_knight']They had originally planned on a wide release, but went with a limited release instead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that. Was just curious if it's only getting limited or if they're planning a wider release later on.

Surprised it isn't playing here as Atlanta tends to get most limited release movies.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I read that. Was just curious if it's only getting limited or if they're planning a wider release later on.

Surprised it isn't playing here as Atlanta tends to get most limited release movies.[/QUOTE]
If it does well enough it might get one hopefully. We hardly get any limited releases here.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Angels and Demons

Both were better than I expected based on the poor reviews. Trying to clear some movies off my DVR that I've taped in past free Starz weekends.

[quote name='moon_knight']If it does well enough it might get one hopefully. We hardly get any limited releases here.[/QUOTE]

It will probably expand at least a little. Seeing as it only hit four theaters I'd be pretty surprised if they left it at that.

Battle Los Angeles had the stupidest moment I've ever seen!
When the commander guy decides that it's time for a suicide mission and hands the strange lady that they picked up a note for the dead soldier's wife and tells her to deliver it in a touching moment. Well, how the hell is she supposed to know who the guy's wife is, let along if she's even still alive etc...
It was fun to watch from a popcorn flick standpoint, but after that I was completely unable to swuspend disbelief and it became an exercise in boredom.

Young Adult was both good and sort of bad. For a comedy, though a dark one, there was rarely laughing happening in the crowd. My geocentric love of Minneapolis made it nice to see some of the places I drive by everyday (though Charlize's apt in the movie is not in the building that it is shown to be, a friend of mine lives in that building and the units don't look like that) and it certainly captured that MN Lutheran Stoicism of rural MN that we all know and love. Normally you get told which charecters to like and dislike in a movie and they stay that way. Here the setup let's you hate Mavis, but the character is played so well that you hate her even more, despite being the protagonist.
Certainly doesn't hurt that Patton Oswalt is a much better actor than he is given credit for. This isn't the kind of movie that will get nominated for anything, but the dude deserves supporting actor in this role.

[quote name='nasum']
When the commander guy decides that it's time for a suicide mission and hands the strange lady that they picked up a note for the dead soldier's wife and tells her to deliver it in a touching moment. Well, how the hell is she supposed to know who the guy's wife is, let along if she's even still alive etc...
[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he said "Give this to Lieutenant Martinez's wife" and since she knows their company motto is "Retreat, hell" and knows Staff Sergeant Nantz's (?) name it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find her. Few Google searches and some questions to the right people are probably not too much legwork to deliver a letter to the wife of someone who died to save your life. Granted, she might not be able to do all of that until the chaos is over and order is restored, but it still didn't seem impossible.

Chillerama - entertaining. as dreadcentral recommended, I skipped the werewolf story since it supposedly slows up and breaks up the flow of the movie. Its not even really a horror story and hell skipping it makes the movie 1:30 instead of 2 hours which I am all for. Definitely a fun anthology of horror movie which I feel we need more of. It feels like an 80s movie but from 2011. Wadzilla and the german one are seriously top notch comedy/horror shorts.

Frankenhooker - probably one the best taglines I have heard in awhile. "A Terrifying Tale of Sluts and Bolts" Movie itself is about a drop out med student who is gifted in making some weird ass shit. GF dies, he needs to obviously bring her back to life while he struggles his depression. Definitely a fun and quirky 90s horror movie that feels like an 80s horror film. Its from the director of Basket Case and Bad Biology.

The Change Up- Ryan Reynolds sucked in Green Lantern but this movie was actually surprisingly funny, especially Jason Bateman. His last movie I seen was a movie with Jennifer Aniston and was pretty much horrible (because of her) but this one was actually funny and entertaining.

Just watched Attack the Block. Every good thing I'd heard about it was true.
[quote name='crunchb3rry']Every movie Jennifer Aniston was in is horrible. The only exception *maybe* being Leprechaun.[/QUOTE]
Office Space?

I only remember Red Swingline Stapler dude from Office Space. Didn't think it was that funny of a movie. Then again, I never worked in cubicles like that, which I suppose would add to the experience. Wish somebody would make a movie about working at a retirement home. Those places are a comedic goldmine that has yet to be tapped into by Hollywood. Just pants-shitting jokes alone could fill 90 minutes easily.

Forgot about Attack The Block, was meaning to see that but couldn't remember the name of it until now.

anybody who loves movies owes it to themselves to see attack the block. its one of the few new movies i watch every so often like the crow or the man from earth or hott fuzz.

Black Swan missed it in cinemas last year, so finally watched it last night. It was fairly good, problem is the trailer pretty much shows everything and there wasn't any surprises.

Finally saw Drive. and holy mother fucking shit cakes, i've never been so annoyed at a character ever before. Ryan Gosling's "not really talking much to be cool" thing was fucking annoying as shit. I feel like I blew my Gosling load when he spoke for one minute straight. It just felt unnecessary to keep him so god damn silent. They could have kept him "silent" but at least used his acting potential to use some fucking dialogue. dear god. #driverant #calmnow

BKO: Bangkok Knockout the story is shit but the martials arts is amazing its one of the few times ive ever seen a ma film where they did something ive never seen before. its on netflix and worth seeing if youre a fan of martial arts or action movies.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Finally saw Drive. and holy mother fucking shit cakes, i've never been so annoyed at a character ever before. Ryan Gosling's "not really talking much to be cool" thing was fucking annoying as shit. I feel like I blew my Gosling load when he spoke for one minute straight. It just felt unnecessary to keep him so god damn silent. They could have kept him "silent" but at least used his acting potential to use some fucking dialogue. dear god. #driverant #calmnow[/QUOTE]

Try watching Vanishing Point. The original 70s version. Or El Topo for that matter. Hell any Sergio Leone western or Steve McQueen movie from back in the day was very sparse on the dialogue. Drive is my movie of the year.

Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol was very decent. Non stop action w/o any Tom Cruise weirdness. See it in IMAX--best mainstream action flick this year. Can't wait for Tin Tin and Dragon Tat!

[quote name='vrblknch']Try watching Vanishing Point. The original 70s version. Or El Topo for that matter. Hell any Sergio Leone western or Steve McQueen movie from back in the day was very sparse on the dialogue. Drive is my movie of the year.

Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol was very decent. Non stop action w/o any Tom Cruise weirdness. See it in IMAX--best mainstream action flick this year. Can't wait for Tin Tin and Dragon Tat![/QUOTE]

I have watched those actually. I have no problem with not much dialogue at all, my problem lies with how they decided to use the dialogue and not use it. That just aggravated me in Drive. I think it was a well done movie overall, the dialogue thing just pissed me off, because I just felt like it didn't make the movie better by not having it. It was annoying basically. Plus another reason I had trouble enjoying it was Albert Brooks. I know him too well from his everything else to take him even an inch seriously as an actor in this. No joke every time he was on screen I busted out laughing not at his scene but everything he reminded me off that I love. Eh, plus I just felt the movie was overhyped for me too, I kept hearing how amazing it was and was expecting too much :(. boo urns.

oh and plus, the whole him being insanely violent in one scene then trying to be sweet in another, just didn't work for me. again, much laughter.

[quote name='vrblknch']
Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol was very decent. Non stop action w/o any Tom Cruise weirdness. See it in IMAX--best mainstream action flick this year. Can't wait for Tin Tin and Dragon Tat![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always liked the MI movies. The first one is almost flawless to me.

Just saw X-Men First Class. Wow, what a good movie. Kinda lost some pacing at the end, but I loved how most of it was just adding so much to scenes in the original trilogy. Certain scenes from that have more impact with First Class providing a lot of foreshadowing. Things like
Beast's emotional response in X3 when he goes to shake that kid's hand, or where Mystique gets "cured" and is met with that look of disgust by Magneto. The Wolverine cameo was awesome...and satisfied the PG-13 rule's allotted single non-sexual usage of the word "fuck."

The last Harry Potter - part 2 = meh/10

I almost pissed myself laughing when they showed the "19 years later" at the end. Did Voldomert's voice annoy the shit out of anyone else?

I don't know, I thought Ralph Fiennes was killer as Voldemort. It's like he dug his makeup so much he made it work great.

Deathly Hallows Part 1 was terrible. Should have called it Harry Potter & The Two Hour Camping Trip.

[quote name='Necrozilla']The last Harry Potter - part 2 = meh/10

I almost pissed myself laughing when they showed the "19 years later" at the end. Did Voldomert's voice annoy the shit out of anyone else?[/QUOTE]

yeah i couldnt stand voldemort except for the guy who played him in the first flick, once he got a body he looked like an earthworm and was too campy to be scary. on top of that i felt a number of the characters were poorly cast like dracos mom and sirius black. im a fan of gary oldman hell ive even seen and liked that midget movie he did and he owned as dracula but he didnt look right as sirius imo.

and the 19yrs later segment was horrible at the very least they could have done that very close to the books but nope.

bread's done
Back