Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='The Crotch']Pandorum was better than I expected. Imperfect? fuck yeah. But pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Definitely some stretches in terms of plot decisions but the "twist" at the end is fucking brilliant.

[quote name='dmaul1114']50/50.[/QUOTE]

Great movie

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Definitely some stretches in terms of plot decisions but the "twist" at the end is fucking brilliant.[/QUOTE]
I was calling the whole
they were on the planet all along thing since the crazy pictograph storytime bit, though I'll admit I totally forgot about jettisoning the pods to get out of the water. Sucks to be anyone who got launched straight into the ocean floor, though.

Satisfying movie in the end.

Right now I'm burning through The Wire like a motherfucker, though.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Rango (2011)- meh.[/QUOTE]

man that movie was shit. the only thing good about it was the way some of the animals had a real furry look about them. johnny dep phoned that one in from the moon.

[quote name='noone13']The Grey was okay but a stupid ending made even more stupid by the after the credits scene. Also showing stuff in a preview and then not having it in the movie is bullshit. Even more so when it was arguably the coolest part of the preview.[/QUOTE]

That film was such a hack job. I'm going to spoiler from here on out since I discuss a few things that are spoilers....

The dialog was terrible for starters. I swear that the writers couldn't go for more then 30 seconds without some form of profanity being used during any dialog heavy scene. Heck pretty much most of the film's dialog has profanity in it. Really shows how uncreative the writing to this film is when there's an endless barrage of f-bombs and what not. On the upside if any network like TNT or USA Network showed this movie most of the dialog would have re-recorded words to replace the profanity. That might actually making viewing on those networks quite hysterical just to see how awful the dubbing would be.

Most of the characters are pretty paper thin to the point of where I didn't care if they lived or not. Let alone even bother to learn their names. The most memorable character if any really was the asshole in the group. I actually wanted to see him get killed only for them to suddenly make him semi likable. Then they have you presume he got killed off since they didn't show it.

The worst part to me is the ending. Not only did the ending itself suck with it cutting to the credits right when Liam was about to have the fight with the wolf as we saw in the trailers. Nobody knew to stay until the credits was over for that extra scene showing that Liam lived. Major cop out of not showing the major fight that got teased to us in the trailers. Quite a bit of false advertising if you ask me.

The funny thing is that at least a third of the people in the theater left with 10-15 minutes left in the film because either they found the film too depressing, they got tired of watching people get killed off left and right, they got tired of the profanity, etc etc etc. The rest of us who stayed until the end was pretty much in disbelief. I finally as the lights started turning on and the credits going just said out loud "OH COME ON NOW" to what is possibly one of the worst film endings I've seen in a long time. Everyone pretty much laughed and applauded me for saying exactly what they most likely were feeling.

In summary this film had potential to be quite good. Sadly poor dialog, boring characters, and the horrible ending really ruined this movie for me. The action in the film was pretty enjoyable even if the film's attempt at "horror" was a bit predictable. Not to mention some of the cinematography is quite good. I actually thought the grainy look and washed out colors gave the film an distinct look and feel as well. It's just too bad to me the bad points of the film outweigh the good since the bad points to me are some very core elements of film making. If anything this could be a good film to show to potential film makers on what NOT to do when it comes to characters, dialog, and the ending of the film.

The Grey - Holy fuck was this an awesome movie. Ending was like an orgasm. Check it out if you love liam neeson and survival type situations. Definitely in for my blu ray collection.

Innkeepers - 3/5 - Ti West film. Guy who made House of the Devil. During the filming of House of the Devil the cast and crew stayed in a small but older hotel. This hotel is the location which is where Innkeepers takes place. Supposedly they added a bookcase to block a bar area and a deer's head on the wall. Rest of the hotel is how the place actually is which I find to be pretty cool.

The movie is a slow burn like House of the Devil but
doesn't really deliver in the end. Don't expect an explanation even though it feels like one is needed it will just leave you disappointed.
The performances were pretty good throughout. The nerdy guy i thought was pretty entertaining all the way to the end of the movie. You get some great lines of dialog like the whole "i am not trying to scare you but im totally standing right behind you" moment. I have been a huge Ti West fan since seeing The Roost & House of the Devil, sadly Innkeepers doesn't stand up to those quality movies. If you want to see a slow burn ghost movie, innkeepers is for you...but I think a lot of people will find it more Borekeepers than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... There's this really really good Indian action film that I thought was so damn good it was better than MI4. But I'll say...
Insidious. Why not.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Paranormal Activity. It was better than I had expected it to be. I think I am sleeping with my light on.[/QUOTE]

the 2nd one is even better the 3rd is to be avoided.

[quote name='tcrash247']Chronicle - Really enjoyed it.[/QUOTE] Just got back from seeing it. I was really surprised by it because I hadn't seen any trailers before I left or knew of any specific plot points. Do yourself a favor and visit your local movie house, it's a quality film that really nailed what's important about great movies, namely CHARACTER and STORY.

The less you know about this movie before watching, the better.

Ouch!

Save your money on Star Wars Ep 1 3D!

The 3D conversion was awful. It was just like watching the BluRay version on the big screen for $14. Fail!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Ouch!

Save your money on Star Wars Ep 1 3D!

The 3D conversion was awful. It was just like watching the BluRay version on the big screen for $14. Fail![/QUOTE]

Ah fuck, I was afraid of that. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but HATE 3d conversion. What to do what to do...

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Ah fuck, I was afraid of that. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but HATE 3d conversion. What to do what to do...[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry man but I would honestly give it a C

The light sabers are not in 3D the pod race wasn't even really impressive! If you haven't seen Ep 1 in the theatres before because you were too young then I would definitely go. Nothing like a SW movie on the big screen. But if you have then I would say save your $$$!

[quote name='WV Matsui']I'm sorry man but I would honestly give it a C

The light sabers are not in 3D the pod race wasn't even really impressive! If you haven't seen Ep 1 in the theatres before because you were too young then I would definitely go. Nothing like a SW movie on the big screen. But if you have then I would say save your $$$![/QUOTE]

Yeah I was 12 when I saw EPI on opening day. I think I am just going to go on Sunday anyways.

[quote name='nasum']Have you seen Henry Foole and Faye Grimm? If not, watch Henry 1st since Faye is a sequel of sorts, but both are mighty good. I laughed harder during Henry Foole than I have at any movie in ages. Oddly, it's not supposed to be very funny.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... I will keep these 2 in mind. Are they on Netflix streaming?

Anyway I went on to watch some more Parker Posey flix that are currently streaming.
Broken English- Pretty good. As a born European who visits every year but lives in the States I enjoyed how they portrayed both of the main characters.

The House of Yes- Really enjoyed this one. Based on a play so the actors treat it like one. Twisted story with a small tight cast. What the heck is Freddie Prince Jr. up to now anyway?

RoboGeisha - 4/5 - a japanese movie but feels like it was made for the americans who enjoy weird ass japanese movies. From the director of Machine Girl which i thought had its moments but they were few and far between. Iguchi definitely stepped it up for Geisha. He knows we like nonsense and blood spraying out of every cut...so he just went for it. RoboGeisha is pretty over the top. Random 'for no reason' things happen because they are robots.

The movie starts off fast and the first 30-40 minutes are just hysterical. Maybe how ridiculous RoboGeisha is throughout makes the introduction so good. The issue with RoboGeisha is the story moments feel long and drawn out yet. Even though someone died to a girl who shot ninja stars from her ass 10 minutes ago it can feel like its been 30 minutes without action.

The ending has a few very funny moments with the wheel chair guy and also with the giant robot but it can feel like RoboGeisha ran out of ideas near the end (or we care less then). An hour and forty minutes is a long time for this type of film...its definitely one of the better weird japanese action/comedy/gore films but it has its flaws. If you are looking for japanese weirdness with a lot of laughs with your friends...this movie is definitely a winner, just expect some downtime between those big action scenes.

Saw Episode 1 in 3d today cuz my roommate is a fan, I can't stand Star Wars really, I dont get the appeal etc. But it was fun watching it in theaters, though the 3d was shit. Like, this is a perfect example of why 3D is a gimmick and needs to die in a pedophile's asshole somewhere deep inside the earth where no one can get to it and do something with it ever. fuck 3d.

[quote name='blindinglights']Both the second and third one were terrible.[/QUOTE]

I thought the 2nd one was the worst, 1st one the middle one and 3rd one the best of the three so far. 2nd one was just so terrible, bad acting bad characters (forgettable) and really lame side story. 1st one had multiple endings which, it shouldn't have, don't know which one is the "true" one. 3rd one used better angles and use of audio. More characters than the 1st, and they weren't forgettable like in the 2nd. Love the idea of what happens at the end of #3 more than the first two put together.

Initial D Third Stage. All cool races, and the important drama. I was worried about the animation style, but I'm glad that Pastel choose to do something closer to the first season.

@naiku The same director also recently released a zombie poop movie or something.

Saw Star Wars 3D. The general consensus is spot-on: the 3D conversion is mediocre. The screen was dark, colors were muted, and resolution was below par (many of finer details seen on a 1080P + Blu-Ray were fuzzy). Being that so much work was put into the visuals of this movie, at the expense of other things, it was disappointing to see how bad they looked due to the 3D. The darkness of fuzziness literally ruined some shots completely. Perhaps it was just my theater (a newer AMC), but I would have much rather preferred to see into in 2D. Most of the 3D additions were nonsense. I never saw EP 1 in theaters, so it was nice to go, but I'll probably see EP 2 in 2D if it comes out next year.

For those who have never seen in theaters (or want to see it again), I definitely suggest that you go, even with all the flaws noted. Just don't expect a fantastic 3D conversion. Videophiles, beware.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Then stop supporting the gimmick with ticket sales...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - okay
All I could think of was GOBLINGOBLINGOBLIN.[/QUOTE]

well I didn't pay, I used free passes LOL. But honestly I do not pay for 3d movies at all, my roommate is a huge fan, and I never got to see it in theaters, If they showed it in 2D i would have been more excited and would have paid the same price as 3d. But alas, boo urns. :(

[quote name='naiku']RoboGeisha - 4/5 - a japanese movie but feels like it was made for the americans who enjoy weird ass japanese movies.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Holy Christ dOOd. I previewed the beginning. Mind... Warp. I'm gonna have to watch it with my friend on drink night. Thanks

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Nah, it's just the movie from 10 years ago, you know before the "fourth stage."[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, cool. I haven't kept up with that show, but I love watching it.

12 Monkeys: I'll have to think on it a bit, but it's a serious contender for my favourite movie ever (a title currently held by Chinatown). I really wish I had a happier favourite movie.

The Crazies (remake): Do you like useless female characters? Do you like characters splitting up for no discernible reason? Do you like constantly thinking, "Wait. Wasn't there a Mythbusters episode about that?" Then you'd probably like it more than I did. The actual Crazies themselves were kinda interesting, but it's still pretty mediocre.

thats why i liked carriers the movie wasnt great or anything but that one scene where the guy went off on his gf is so fucking real compared to all the stupid shit you see people do in movies id love to see more of that in horror flicks. if you could nominate scenes from movies for awards that one would be my choice.

[quote name='lokizz']thats why i liked carriers the movie wasnt great or anything but that one scene where the guy went off on his gf is so fucking real compared to all the stupid shit you see people do in movies id love to see more of that in horror flicks. if you could nominate scenes from movies for awards that one would be my choice.[/QUOTE]

Is there a YouTube clip for that scene?

Bloodsport: Played out like a parody of the 80s. On that level, I can enjoy it.

Back to The Crazies, though - what the hell happened to the black guy in the funeral home? Like, he was there to creep you out and give one line, then nothing. He just ceased to be.

Winnebago Man - Watched it on netflix, and it was decent.

Star Wars Episode I 3D - I was happy with the conversion. if you understand the technology behind 3D conversion, you will actually realize that with what they are starting with they did a fine job.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Winnebago Man - Watched it on netflix, and it was decent.

Star Wars Episode I 3D - I was happy with the conversion. if you understand the technology behind 3D conversion, you will actually realize that with what they are starting with they did a fine job.[/QUOTE]

you should check out that documentary on goblin the worst movie ever made fucking hell that movie makes you cringe.

bread's done
Back